←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

A Test for Different Types of Depression-r...

Maus's Photo Maus 16 Jan 2011

Hi guys- wasn't sure which forum to put this in, I think it fits best here.

There are around 100,000 test on-line regarding depression- but recently I found a very extensive one that discusses different types of possible deficiencies and dominance, including: Dopamine, Acetylcholine, GABA and Seratonin.

"It all starts with brain chemistry," says Dr. Braverman.
"When you start to lose your edge, look up your physical
symptom and restore the neurotransmitter that is responsible
for it."

An explanation:
http://www.douglasla...(Spring-05).pdf

The test:
http://www.imminst.o...&attach_id=1315

What do you guys think? Does it have any merit?

leha's Photo leha 16 Jan 2011

It's an interesting idea, but it relies on confirmation bias, which can skew results. The test taker is required to answer T/F questions and score only the Ts. These are used to formulate some kind of overarching diagnosis of dominant or deficient hormones, but the trouble is that some of the behaviors/assessments counted as significant for a given hormone could be because of something completely unrelated--or even just because of he way the question was worded, or which other attributes it was associated with on the test.

Also, when you look at a test like this, you have to look at what they are ignoring, or the "silent evidence," as well as what's being examined. These hormones don't act in a void, but are part of a much more complex system, involving not just your physical being, but your cultural values, as well.

It's fine if you want to take the test and then look up whatever it says you are low in, but I wouldn't agree with their diagnostic assessment at all without first weighing it against your own personal knowledge of yourself, your body, and the reasons to might have answered the questions the way you did; and then also weighing it against the larger body of information on the given hormones addressed (for example, the test comes to different conclusions about the meaning of sugar cravings than other research on dopamine that I've seen).