• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

ImmInst Conference - Nov 5, 2005

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Package? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Package?

1. Total Package (revised, please see conf. link) (34 votes [85.00%])

Percentage of vote: 85.00%

2. Part Package (revised, please see conf. link) (6 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:20 AM

Appreciate your help, Malchiah.

To promote the conference, I will send more than 700 physical mailing postcards to ImmInst members in about one month. Also, LEF.org has agreed to include the conference in their magazine (250K+ subscribers). However, while I do have a few print journalist coming (Wired, etc.)... I would like to find a contact within one of the larger broadcast news orgs. to cover the event. Thus, if anyone knows of a such a contact within CNN, etc... please let me know (email me: bjk@imminst.org) or feel free to make an outreach on our behalf.... I'll be happy to send such media contacts an ImmInst Intro Packet... and we may be able to negotiate exclusive video coverage of the event.

#62 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:45 AM

Interesting ideas Bruce. I will talk to a professor of mine who I keep in regular contact with. He may have suggestions, or know someone at Fox. It may be easier to get coverage once we're able to say X number of people are attending. The larger the crowd, the more likely they'll cover it.

#63 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

Great... please keep me posted.

sponsored ad

• Advert

• Lurker

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN interviewed Kurzweil on his book and about his goal of living long enough to live forever (indefinitely). When interviewed after, Dr. Gupta was not extremely critical of Kurzweil, particularly Kurzweil's emphasis on medical tests to ascertain and maintain health.

CNN headquarters are in Atlanta, Dr. Gupta is on call there and presumably lives near Atlanta so it probably wouldn't be too much trouble for him to drop by and report on your conference. That is, if you can get him to cover the conference.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but I don't recall.

#65 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, cosmos.

I'll follow up by contacting Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

#66 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

I think a good way to get the ball rolling is everyone who is going to the conference and know they are sign up now.

Why wait.

That's a couple dozen at least. Once the figures are in that ballpark others will sign up more willingly.

#67 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

Early registration would help in determining the scope of the conference and may allow us to bargain for a lower overall deal with Ga Tech. However, none should feel pressure if finances are in the balance.... maintaining healthy personal finances are paramount to successful life extension.

• Lurker

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:22 AM

Has Ronald Bailey been contacted regarding his attendance at this Conference?

#69 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:29 AM

Yes, Ron has an open invitation to speak. I meet with him about one month ago at his home in VA for about one hour.

• Lurker

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

I'll float another name then. Bioethicist, Arthur Caplan?

He recently submitted an article to the EMBO journal arguing that aging was both unnatural and a disease. Concluding with the acknowledgement that "there is no intrinsic ethical reason why we should not try to extend our lives."

His email address is caplan[at]fast.net

#71 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, cosmos.

Dr. Caplan has replied via email earlier that he has another prior speaking arraignment. He would have been a fun one :)

#72 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

Thanks, cosmos.

I'll follow up by contacting Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

ooo... Sanjay Gupta. I'd probably faint if I saw him in person.

[Some of Kurzweil's stuff seems consistent with what I've read elswhere, so (if you've got plenty of money) I don't see too much harm in following parts of his program. BUT the whole alkalinized water thing gives me pause.]

#73 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

hmmm I wonder if the lowly logomaker can get a discount LOL well at least I get student pricing, will likly be there...if I dont have classes that day...it is a saturday right??? oh yeah by the way hi everyone I dissapeered for a reallong time...sorry bout that hehe...

#74 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

Great to have you back, Laz... and I look forward to seeing you at the conference.

In the interim, your logo creation has been appreciated. Here's the archive of the discusison on the creation & prize from Mar 2003!

http://www.imminst.o...=ST&f=202&t=703

#75 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:56 PM

By the way, Lazarus, as my computer fried about a yr ago, would you happen to have the .psd file of the original imminst logo? Should be filename "imminst". No biggie.

#76 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:29 PM

Ah the other Laz is comming as well? Awesome.

You should stop by more, we have twice the vinegar content these days. [tung]

#77 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:13 AM

ooo thats a damn good question.... I knowe I have it however its on a very old disk of mine, a disk which happens to be partially corrupted so I dont know if I can retrieve the file I will let you know, if I cannot however this place is FILLED to nerd and geeks ( I mean that in only the most affectionate way) so I am sure there is somone I could send it to who could retireve the file, but yeah I lan on being at the conference, its a saturday I believe so I wont be in school. Vinegar content huh, well I was thinking about a little wight loss but never considered a purly digital solution LOL. I love puns

#78 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:38 AM

Wow I go away for a couple of days and my doppleganger returns. Great to see you back again Laz ;))

I hope you hang around more this time so we can really confuse a few folks.

BTW, I like your new avatar.

#79 kwolfe

• 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:57 PM

I'd love to come, but have already made travel arrangements for another conference the previous week. Is this conference held the same time every year? If so, I can look at making combined travel arrangements for both this conference and the one I'm going to this year (which I exhibit at each year for business), and just go from one to the other.

Thanks also for the postcard!

Katherine Wolfe

#80 th3hegem0n

• 379 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:00 AM

I'm getting together a group of students (i procrastinate, lol)

So far only 2 of us, however I'm fairly certain it will be at least 10.

#81 mrfesta

• 155 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:14 AM

How do I find out if I've already paid my registration fee or not? I cannot remember because it could have been months ago that I did so :)

#82 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:40 AM

is there an update to the number of people signed up so far?

#83 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:06 PM

Thus far registrations completed:

17 Employed/Un
--L Mirage
--B Klein
--S Klein
--H Benavidas
--G Rothblatt
--T Rothblatt
--A Alger
--M Klein
--J Klein
--C Lamm
--M Lamm
--C Kam
--E Gatley
--J Oh
--J Loew
--L Ruffino
--K Watson

5 Students
--Justin R.
--R Bates
--J Shepard
--G Howell
--T Moenk

This does not include th3hegemon's 10 student block or the 17 speakers, which would bring the total attendees to 50.

#84 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

I apologize for not having registered yet. I was out of the states and had very little access to the internet. I will register as soon as I work out some of the details for myself. But it seems to me that we REALLY need to get the word out. People need time to plan and I don't know how we can bump these numbers up unless people sign up within the next few weeks.

Also, for the time being, I would like to suggest putting the conference in a more prominent place on the front page of this site. Make it the first thing people see who happen to be visiting ImmInst for the first time.

#85 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, Malchiah.

As an ImmInst member, please feel free to support your org. and the conference by getting the word out. I also see this is our obligation, as we're the first people to realize that aging and death can be overcome...

#86 phacops

• 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:03 AM

Are there still lots of seats available? My wife & I are planning to attend. I'm wanting to sort out air fare before registering because if Idon't snag cheap airfare we can't afford to come. Are a lot of people hanging around on Sunday? If so we might book our flight back for Monday in case there is any fun 'spillover' to be had on Sunday.

#87 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:19 AM

Still seats open... great to have you and your wife in Atlanta!

The day after the conference (Sun Nov 6 at 10 AM), all participants are welcome to meet at the spacious CNN Center to talk, eat lunch and/or take the 50 min. CNN Studio Tour ($10).

More: http://imminst.org/c...ce/#Attractions

#88 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:24 AM

ImmInst Conf. advertised in the Oct. 2005 Life Extension Mag:

Attached Files

#89 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:26 AM

Page 90:

Attached Files

#90 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

hopefully that will bump up the attendance some...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users