Photo

23andme results in!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 greensweater

• 80 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

23andme got my sample in on December 17th and my results came in today, almost entirely good news all around (lower risks for most cancers, strokes, etc), no carrier statuses.

Found out I am a slow caffine metabolizer, which makes sense because caffine really makes me feel jittery.

One thing that made me happy was this:

Genotype: CC
What it means: Higher odds of living to 100. :-D

I know it is preliminary research but come on, what else could excite an imminst member more than that?

Anyone else get their results in? Any other sites I should run my SNP's through?

Edited by Grant, 25 January 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

You might want to download the raw data and run it through promethease.

http://www.snpedia.c...php/Promethease

Edited by rwac, 25 January 2011 - 09:05 AM.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

23andme got my sample in on December 17th and my results came in today, almost entirely good news all around (lower risks for most cancers, strokes, etc), no carrier statuses.

Found out I am a slow caffine metabolizer, which makes sense because caffine really makes me feel jittery.

One thing that made me happy was this:

Genotype: CC
What it means: Higher odds of living to 100. :-D

I know it is preliminary research but come on, what else could excite an imminst member more than that?

Anyone else get their results in? Any other sites I should run my SNP's through?

Just got mine in yesterday as well, with pretty much the same results (except I am slightly at higher risk for prostate cancer). I'm a fast caffeine metabolizer, which I already pretty much knew.

Also had the rs2542052 (C;C) marker and some other longevity related SNPs and thought it was pretty cool, even if it's not conclusive.

I have no family history available so this information is precious to me. As for Promethease, it's great if you want to do a more detailed analysis. I am having difficulty figuring out MTHFr and COMT stuff though... anybody wanna point me in the right direction?

Edited by distinct, 25 January 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#4 Vindex

• 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

They just released the first batch of V3 results, in which I'm included. All seems well at first glance, except a substantially increased risk of prostate cancer and double than average risk of suffering psoriasis. My "longevity snp" is AC, could be worse I guess. Resistant to norovirus, f@ck yeah! Also, substantially reduced odds of suffering from type II diabetes.
I should probably start thinking about prostate cancer prevention, so... should I stop taking my current multi, containing folic acid? If so, how do other forms of folate (e.g. hydro tetrofolinic acid) compare to folic acid?

One cool thing about having some percentage of my DNA sequenced is how it motivates me to further research what it all means.

Cheers

Edited by Vindex, 25 January 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

I have no family history available so this information is precious to me. As for Promethease, it's great if you want to do a more detailed analysis. I am having difficulty figuring out MTHFr and COMT stuff though... anybody wanna point me in the right direction?

Promethease also has better explanations, sometimes.

So what exactly confuses you ?

For instance MTHFR polymorphism (Rs1801133) -> reduced efficiency of conversion of folate to methylfolate,
AA = 30% activity, AG=65%, GG=normal.

so perhaps AA/AG genotypes would benefit from some supplementation.

Edited by rwac, 25 January 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#6 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

Promethease also has better explanations, sometimes.

So what exactly confuses you ?

For instance MTHFR polymorphism (Rs1801133) -> reduced efficiency of conversion of folate to methylfolate,
AA = 30% activity, AG=65%, GG=normal.

so perhaps AA/AG genotypes would benefit from some supplementation.

Ah, ok. I suppose I just needed confirmation. I'm GG, or CC if you prefer it that way. As for COMT, what is the relevant SNP(s)?

#7 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Ah, ok. I suppose I just needed confirmation. I'm GG, or CC if you prefer it that way. As for COMT, what is the relevant SNP(s)?

http://www.snpedia.c...ndex.php/Rs4680

#8 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

http://www.snpedia.c...ndex.php/Rs4680

Thanks, I hunted around snpedia but wasn't sure I was seeking out the right information. So I'm A;G, a mixed bag as it were.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

FYI: I find snptips to be pretty handy for cross referencing SNPs on websites with the 23andme data file.

http://snptips.5amsolutions.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users