Photo
- - - - -

semen retention as a nootropic

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

I realize that this discussion has ventured into decidedly unscientific territory

On this we agree, though ecstasy can be approached systematically.

The "edging" technique following long periods of abstinence described by kikai93 can seriously stress and potentially even damaging effects on the CNS if sexual energy is not properly circulated. From experience, the side effects can be worse than any stimulant (and I've been on Adderall for four years) and can do serious harm. While l the technique described can be immensely pleasurable and incredibly beneficial for energy levels, depression, and overall health, I would advise any novice against practicing it without first reading some Daoist or tantric literature to learn proper breathing, energy circulation, and energy ventilation techniques.

On this we do not agree. Typical religious literature, with some few exceptions, is as likely to confuse an aspirant as it is to assist. Typical religious literature of this type is an admixture of useful information, social mores, and rank superstition.
Simplified, one must simply: Be in good health. Learn to sit still. Learn to breathe. Then learn to concentrate. With these tools, very little in the realm of meditation or sexual technique will pose dangers to health or wellbeing. The very little would be extremes of ascetism or ecstatic activity (one could presumably dance or fast to death, for instance). In the 17 years I've engaged in these explorations, I have yet to encounter anyone seriously damaged by a reasonable approach to meditation, sexual alchemy, ecstatic dance, etc.
What typically happens is people overreaching themselves (a gentleman having his wife to stand on his legs to help him achieve the lotus asana, a person attempting to engage in extended or demanding practice from zero experience or training).

What I described is unlikely to result in harm, because the practice is self-limiting. Anyone with the requisites to successfully engage is unlikely to be susceptible to inability to circulate or integrate.

#32 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about people eating there own cum!!!!

I have tried this, and found the opposite, I can not focus when i'm working as I am thinking about sex all the time, and my motivation really drops to do any work.

I think the only nootropic benefit would be because you are less tired, as it tends to make you sleepy afterwards....non of this magical chi!

Edited by Imagination, 22 March 2011 - 08:01 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 owls

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:06 AM

I realize that this discussion has ventured into decidedly unscientific territory

On this we agree, though ecstasy can be approached systematically.

The "edging" technique following long periods of abstinence described by kikai93 can seriously stress and potentially even damaging effects on the CNS if sexual energy is not properly circulated. From experience, the side effects can be worse than any stimulant (and I've been on Adderall for four years) and can do serious harm. While l the technique described can be immensely pleasurable and incredibly beneficial for energy levels, depression, and overall health, I would advise any novice against practicing it without first reading some Daoist or tantric literature to learn proper breathing, energy circulation, and energy ventilation techniques.

On this we do not agree. Typical religious literature, with some few exceptions, is as likely to confuse an aspirant as it is to assist. Typical religious literature of this type is an admixture of useful information, social mores, and rank superstition.
Simplified, one must simply: Be in good health. Learn to sit still. Learn to breathe. Then learn to concentrate. With these tools, very little in the realm of meditation or sexual technique will pose dangers to health or wellbeing. The very little would be extremes of ascetism or ecstatic activity (one could presumably dance or fast to death, for instance). In the 17 years I've engaged in these explorations, I have yet to encounter anyone seriously damaged by a reasonable approach to meditation, sexual alchemy, ecstatic dance, etc.
What typically happens is people overreaching themselves (a gentleman having his wife to stand on his legs to help him achieve the lotus asana, a person attempting to engage in extended or demanding practice from zero experience or training).

What I described is unlikely to result in harm, because the practice is self-limiting. Anyone with the requisites to successfully engage is unlikely to be susceptible to inability to circulate or integrate.

thanks for clearing that up kikai93. now i have to ask, as i've just recently begun studying yoga this past month.. are you saying it is possible a person with built up chi is potentially more likely to overstretch themselves or do something crazy..? i don't want to hurt myself.. or did i just misunderstand the example..? lol :|o

anyways i can say that personally i will never go back to ejaculating daily, or even every other day ever again after my short term experiences with semen retention. too many positives for me :ph34r:

#34 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

anyways i can say that personally i will never go back to ejaculating daily, or even every other day ever again after my short term experiences with semen retention. too many positives for me :ph34r:

Do you have any evidence for this? Was your masturbation double-blinded?

:laugh:

Don't worry about overstretching yourself. What kikai means is that some people are very, very unreasonable about such things, doing 6h of yoga a day as a beginner or masturbating for hours etc.
Problems really do not happen often, so you are going to be fine. Enjoy your practice! Just keep in mind that if you get sensations or effects that make you uncomfortable, that you reduce or stop your yoga practice. Which is something that any good teacher will tell you, too.

Edited by shp5, 02 April 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#35 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:24 AM

Kant had much to say on this topic...http://wesenzinna.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/harpersmagazine-2010-09-00830913.pdf

That URL doesn't work for me. Kant's arguments are mostly based upon a very subjective and culturally imposed sense of morality though which makes his opinion more the result of prevailing bias rather than reason. Are there any more objective arguments for why this would be good in any way? Except for that Seinfeld episode where George becomes a genius of course, hard to argue with such compelling proof.

On the top of my head, I would say the cognitive benefits may be owing to the Lady Abstinence's inhibitory effect on excess nitric oxide synthase reactions. But beyond this preliminary speculation, there might be something to the abstinence theory, since there are a few other notable historical examples that echo the claims of Kant: Nikola Tesla and Swami Vivekananda.

Edited by Rol82, 04 April 2011 - 05:24 AM.

#36 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

have any males here practiced restraint from too frequent of ejaculation for enhanced motivation, vitality, concentration, energy, etc?

i have been and it works quite well.. btw i'm completely serious if anyone thinks this is a joke

Attached File  1301219338599.jpg   15.28KB   15 downloads

#37 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Man in my case i was hoping the opposite in regards to the thread title :p

#38 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

POE

I think there may be some short-term benefits, but within days I have more trouble sleeping and become prone towards anger and sadness. It also becomes increasingly difficult to concentrate. I don't think prolactin is a factor in any of this, I've experienced situations many times where various drugs sufficiently suppress prolactin to a level eliminating the refractory period entirely. I've never noticed any changes that can't be attributed to having lots of awesome sex.

This is bang on what happens to me. It doesn't work for me at all and I have to release every day otherwise I get very crabby indeed. For instance I decided not to do it last night and this morning I awoke in a very snappy mood. The increased DA may not be beneficial for me in certain parts of my brain which is casusing this (each and every time). The process of releasing brings amazing relaxation and the stress goes in an instant. I'm finally able to relax and enjoy activities or what I need to be doing without this overpowering driving urge taking over me. I can understand that for other people they end up feeling a bit low if they do it too much so it shows how we're all different. For those individuals I would say that semen retention could be a good thing and yes, it might have nootropic effects.
Even before I started taking deprenyl this was always the case for me and is probably related to a high sex drive. The thing is, if I try to supress it I end up feeling depressed. It's always been a problem for me. It's a much easier situation when I have a girlfreind. I'm too picky though. You could argue that I have an addiction here but in periods of low libido (which I have gone through) I don't feel the urge to do it and don't really miss it at all, so I think this is definitely related to the balance of my brain chemistry and not necessarily a compulsive addiction in a black and white sense.

Although deprenyl is making me feel good I doubt it's helping in this department.

Edited by Thorsten, 08 April 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#39 chris76

• 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

A research on the relationship between ejaculation and serum testosterone level in men.

"The results showed that ejaculation-caused variations were characterized by a peak on the 7th day of abstinence; and that the effective time of an ejaculation is 7 days minimum. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm....1?dopt=Abstract

Testosterone has effect on mood and energy but dont know about nootropic maybe cognitive effects.

#40 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Edmond de Goncourt said, "One tames a people as one tames lions, by masturbation."

Seriously, following the male orgasm, the pituitary releases prolactin and oxytocin. Oxytocin changes how one perceives sensory stimuli. Increased levels of oxytocin make the skin more sensitive, and it produces greater feeling of empathy.

Prolactin and dopamine are antagonists of one another. In fact, dopamine was first known as Prolactin Inhibiting Factor. Prolactin suppresses testosterone production, and produces the refractory period that most men experience after orgasm. This is why dopaminergic drugs shorten or eliminate the refractory period.

Insofar as many people regard dopaminergic drugs as nootropics (e.g. amphetamines, caffiene, etc), keeping prolactin levels low by not having an orgasm could have a nootropic effect.

I think this makes so much sense!!!!

thanks

#41 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

"I'm coming

I'm coming-yeah

Relax don't do it

When you want to go to it

Relax don't do it

When you want to come"

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

#42 3AlarmLampscooter

• 352 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Phenoxybenzamine, anyone?

It isn't exactly cheap, but it does do the job.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#43 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

How old are you people? 14?

Went without for weeks and months, looks like Iam a freak :-P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users