Photo
- - - - -

Terrible Piracetam Experience

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cant Think of a Good Name

• 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

This morning I took my first dose of piracetam and CDP choline (1.2g and 300mg). I have taken piracetam on one previous occasion, with a fairly good response. I have no history of mental illness and I don't take any drugs or medication.

Shortly after mixing the two substances in a glass of water and drinking them, I experienced a feeling of pure terror. This episode lasted for almost 2 hours during which I could barely communicate or think. I had gone for a walk after taking the piracetam and it took most of my willpower to remain composed.

I do not exagerate when I say that this has been one of the worst experiences of my life. It's now been an hour since the feeling subsided and I'm left feeling drained with mild brain fog (which is subsiding steadily).

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this could have happened? I spent days researching the side effects of piracetam and I was convinced that there was no danger in experimenting with it.

Edit: I purchased the piracetam and choline from cerebral health.

Edited by Cant Think of a Good Name, 13 March 2011 - 03:18 AM.

#2 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:39 AM

This morning I took my first dose of piracetam and CDP choline (1.2g and 300mg). I have taken piracetam on one previous occasion, with a fairly good response. I have no history of mental illness and I don't take any drugs or medication.

Shortly after mixing the two substances in a glass of water and drinking them, I experienced a feeling of pure terror. This episode lasted for almost 2 hours during which I could barely communicate or think. I had gone for a walk after taking the piracetam and it took most of my willpower to remain composed.

I do not exagerate when I say that this has been one of the worst experiences of my life. It's now been an hour since the feeling subsided and I'm left feeling drained with mild brain fog (which is subsiding steadily).

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this could have happened? I spent days researching the side effects of piracetam and I was convinced that there was no danger in experimenting with it.

Unless your biochemistry is exceedingly weird, holy placebo effect Batman.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:44 AM

Piracetam could have massively increased your NMDA receptor, or really any of the massive amount of ion channels it binds to, activity if you have a weird form of the protein. CDP choline could have also tweaked your HPA axis' release of hormones, particularly stress hormones, which could further have driven the piracetam induced excitability through the roof.

Both those reactions are very unlikely in my opinion, but so is what you're reporting. Did you notice vasoconstriction, dry mouth, pupil size changes, or any other physiological responses?

#4 Cant Think of a Good Name

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:53 AM

I didn't notice anything apart from an increased heart rate & blood pressure which wouldn't be considered abnormal in my situation.

I can feel myself slowly returning to normal... really hope I didn't do any permanent damage to myself.

Edit: The last time I took piracetam I used choline bitartrate and not CDP choline. Could this be of any importance?

Edited by Cant Think of a Good Name, 13 March 2011 - 03:54 AM.

#5 Ichoose2live

• 200 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

I believe it significantly increased your levels of Corticosteroids hormones. You might have a hyper sensitivity to it and you didnt knew. Well this is a hyper sensitivity to something that is hard to discern.

You may want to try Phosphatidylserine instead of CDP-Choline.

increased heart rate & blood pressure

Edited by Ichoose2live, 13 March 2011 - 04:40 AM.

#6 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:03 AM

Sounds to me like you took too much.

(The ideal dose varies widely from person to person, depending on their individual brain chemistry.)

I find that when I take GABA in moderation it makes me feel better, but too much gives me the same experience you described.

#7 Cant Think of a Good Name

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Sounds to me like you took too much.

(The ideal dose varies widely from person to person, depending on their individual brain chemistry.)

I find that when I take GABA in moderation it makes me feel better, but too much gives me the same experience you described.

In the past I've taken 2.5g of piracetam at a time with choline bitartrate (as an attack dose) without any negative symptoms (I responded quite well to it). I have no idea how I could have had such a reaction from less than half that dose.

I'm starting to think that it was the CDP choline, or an interaction between it and the piracetam.

In any case I'm not planning on taking either of these in the future.

#8 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

It is because of Piracetams effects on noradrenergic signaling. Piracetam releases norepineprhine from the locus coeruleus, which for some can mean increased alertness, perhaps even focus and for others with a tendency to go to hyperarousal, panic and anxiety.

Edited by kassem23, 13 March 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#9 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

It is because of Piracetams effects on noradrenergic signaling. Piracetam releases norepineprhine from the locus coeruleus, which for some can mean increased alertness, perhaps even focus and for others with a tendency to go to hyperarousal, panic and anxiety.

Could be this, but seeing as you took piracetam before it is more likely the CDP choline effecting stress hormones, which by the way play a massive role in the responsiveness of the NA and DA systems. But, this is all conjecture unless you try the CDP choline alone at a low dose and compare the response you got.

#10 Cant Think of a Good Name

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

Could be this, but seeing as you took piracetam before it is more likely the CDP choline effecting stress hormones, which by the way play a massive role in the responsiveness of the NA and DA systems. But, this is all conjecture unless you try the CDP choline alone at a low dose and compare the response you got.

I'm planning on taking 50mg of choline, and increasing this by an additional 50mg for another 5 days or until I see the same effects.

Could I have harmed my body through my experience with the piracetam?

Hopefully I'll come back with some positive results in a day or two.

#11 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Same experience ,oh my Buddha god .

I have stop Piracetam more than month ,but positive effect not come back yet ,how long i need to wait ,10 year+ ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

It could also just be a panic attack. Unrelated or simply sparked by the piracetam. Just saying, it sounds exactly like one..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users