Photo
- - - - -

Wrinkle Minimization

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 orangish

• 264 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

I know there are many posts on this topic, but most of them that I've come up with have dealt with wrinkle prevention. But I am wondering if there's anything diet and substance wise I can do to minimize wrinkles that have begun to form.

Right now, I am 25. Some wrinkles are becoming visible and I'd like to minimize them before they get worse. Apart from occasional excess carbohydrates, my diet is fairly decent. I make sure to use high SPF sunscreen.

What might I do/use that would be effective on slightly visible wrinkles?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:45 AM

Lutein, orally and (optionally) topically. BioSil. (Presumably JarrowSil would work as well, but I'm not aware of any hard data to that effect.) Anything that enhances collagen production should help; retinoids, various peels, copper peptides, topical ascorbic acid preparations... Make sure your sunscreen is doing a good job in the UVA band.
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:47 AM

Retin-A.

#4 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:50 AM

Prevention: move farther away from the equator.
Reversal: botox (requires frequent reapplication though).

#5 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

any comments on this DYI serum: http://www.skincaret...nt-sources.html

#6 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Depends on which way you want to go - "natural" ir not... With the right determination and enough money - one can stay wrinkle-free for a long long time these days.

Edited by VidX, 14 April 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#7 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Gelatin and Silicon supplements.

#8 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

Many swear it works for them.

#9 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

Many swear it works for them.

But do you think the combo of those ingredients could actually make a huge difference?

#10 orangish

• Topic Starter
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if there are further specific suggestions.

1. My sunscreen is neutrogena spf 80. It is several years old. Should this matter?
2. Apart from retinoids, is there anything that I can do that's low cost? I made a vitamin c serum, but I don't find this to be working that well.
  • Unfriendly x 1

#11 VesperLynd

• 180 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:52 AM

There are a lot of substances purported to reduce wrinkles, but the only ones I know of with backing research are retinoids, vitamin c and hormones. The latter two are problematic on multiple fronts, so your mileage will definitely vary..

To be honest, in the current economic environment, the price of Botox has dropped substantially.

VL

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:07 AM

My sunscreen is neutrogena spf 80. It is several years old. Should this matter?

Yes. If it is several years old and it is still not used up, you are using WAY too little, or you are using it too infrequently, or both. As far as shelf life goes, I dunno. It's probably better than nothing. Might be fine.

#13 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Um, i keep looking into isoflavones in skin cream because there are papers showing that it promotes skin thickness thus less wrinkles. Irony is that the papers and the product come from a swiss company which is a subsidiary of the biggest retailer here and in their own skin creams i have not found it lol. Damn :-). Anyone know a good chea product? The one i kinda like is from Sana but nobody ships to switzerland. ( Sana Nameraka Isoflavone Facial Cream ).

#14 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

curious_sle: Migros does sell the Apple derived cream that was widely hyped last year, or at least they did last time I was there (which admittedly was 6 months ago, not in CH these days) - not sure if this is the same product, though.

#15 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

nupi:
um, i think it is a different product... yeah i think they also commercialized that special apple thingy that i don't buy into but thanks for the info.

#16 orangish

• Topic Starter
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

Do i have to see a dermatologist to get a prescription for retinoids? I imagine I have to pay for this myself.

What are the side effects of retinoids?

#17 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Do i have to see a dermatologist to get a prescription for retinoids? I imagine I have to pay for this myself.

What are the side effects of retinoids?

https://www.alldaych...448__Tretinoin-

http://www.skinacea....t-part-one.html

Don't laugh at the super low prices. Trusted source used by many many people. Buy in bulk to help offset the $25 shipping fee.

Edited by mustardseed41, 29 June 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#18 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:02 AM

Methylene blue administered orally is patented for wrinkle reduction and increasing energy levels in old people. In Atamna and Ames patent (Example 5) they fed 25 µg methylene blue trice a day to aged humans.
http://www.freepaten...06/0188866.html

Long-Term Administration of diaminophenothiazines Improve Skin Elasticity and Activity Levels in Patients over 50.

A double blind, randomized, vehicle controlled study is conducted in 160 subjects ranging in ages from 50 to 65. Treatment groups are prescribed 25 µg diaminophenothiazine (azure A, azure B, azure C, thionine, toluidine blue, methylene blue, new methylene blue, or 1-9-dimethyl methylene blue) tablets taken orally with meals 3 times daily. Clinical monitoring, subjective self assessment, objective measurement methods of skin elasticity, epidermal hydration and skin surface lipids are used to determine effects of each treatment at four visits during 24 weeks. Clinical monitoring includes wrinkle counts, measurement of wrinkle depth around the right eye, and nasolabial fold depth. Results demonstrate consistent efficacy of diaminophenothiazine treatment over placebo in counteracting different signs of aging in the skin and improving overall energy levels.

• like x 2

#19 Spectre

• 208 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Methylene blue administered orally is patented for wrinkle reduction and increasing energy levels in old people. In Atamna and Ames patent (Example 5) they fed 25 µg methylene blue trice a day to aged humans.
http://www.freepaten...06/0188866.html

Long-Term Administration of diaminophenothiazines Improve Skin Elasticity and Activity Levels in Patients over 50.

A double blind, randomized, vehicle controlled study is conducted in 160 subjects ranging in ages from 50 to 65. Treatment groups are prescribed 25 µg diaminophenothiazine (azure A, azure B, azure C, thionine, toluidine blue, methylene blue, new methylene blue, or 1-9-dimethyl methylene blue) tablets taken orally with meals 3 times daily. Clinical monitoring, subjective self assessment, objective measurement methods of skin elasticity, epidermal hydration and skin surface lipids are used to determine effects of each treatment at four visits during 24 weeks. Clinical monitoring includes wrinkle counts, measurement of wrinkle depth around the right eye, and nasolabial fold depth. Results demonstrate consistent efficacy of diaminophenothiazine treatment over placebo in counteracting different signs of aging in the skin and improving overall energy levels.

This is awesome, I'm curious to know if taking Methylene Blue is a good idea for myself, being that I'm only 21 (I just started taking MB over the past 3 days and so far I'm enjoying the effects). What are the life-extending properties of Methylene Blue and how safe is it to be taking it at this age? Thanks.

#20 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Max, do you take methylene blue? If so, how much?

I've thought about taking methylene blue for many reasons, but I take SSRIs and a small amount of lithium everyday.

#21 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Max, do you take methylene blue? If so, how much?

I've thought about taking methylene blue for many reasons, but I take SSRIs and a small amount of lithium everyday.

Yes, I take methylene blue, 60 mcg twice or thrice a day (if I remember the evening dose, and likewise for the afternoon dose.) I have a solution with an applicator for a precise dose, which I had made up to my spec by Kingherbs.

@Spectre asked:

This is awesome, I'm curious to know if taking Methylene Blue is a good idea for myself, being that I'm only 21 (I just started taking MB over the past 3 days and so far I'm enjoying the effects). What are the life-extending properties of Methylene Blue and how safe is it to be taking it at this age? Thanks.

No one knows the answers to your questions, for sure. I doubt there is a reason not to take it, but life-extension would take a long test period to be certain. I believe it does improve mitochondrial function even at your age, and might prevent ongoing damage and keep you youthful longer. But this is far from proven.

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

If you're worried about MAO inhibition, that isn't going to happen at the nanomolar doses of MB we're talking about here.

#23 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

If you're worried about MAO inhibition, that isn't going to happen at the nanomolar doses of MB we're talking about here.

Yeah I didn't think so. I take curcumin and have no problems with that. Thanks niner.

#24 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:44 AM

Yes, I take methylene blue, 60 mcg twice or thrice a day (if I remember the evening dose, and likewise for the afternoon dose.) I have a solution with an applicator for a precise dose, which I had made up to my spec by Kingherbs.

What effects have you noticed, if any?

#25 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

What effects have you noticed, if any?

Possibly increased endurance and power output, mental clarity. Or else it's a placebo effect. Or maybe due to use of luteolin.

#26 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

In view of this idea that MB works with mitochondria, leading to possible positive effects on skin elasticity, and general skin ageing, maybe it isn't such a crazy idea to mix a tiny amount of MB solution into a standard aqueous cream, and apply it topically? It should not stain the skin at microgram concentrations - even a high mcg concentration , such as to give the cream a hint of a blue tint, will probably not stain the skin, as it is applied sparsely. One could always test it on a less visible body part.
Any thoughts? Guinea pigs?

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:51 AM

At the concentration shown to be optimal for mitochondrial protection, 100-500 nM, I think it would still look pretty blue.

#28 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

Dear orangish,

I am making a clinical and I tried to start an online trail about the wrinkle healing medications. In case You decide to start taking something to heal Your wrinkles, and in case You do not mind to help me, please photograph a wrinkle (not the whole face, or not even a part of the face, and I do not need to know Your real name), then photograph it after one course of the treatment, or after one month of treatment. Then compare the photographs, (or post them for proffesional comparison) and please tell us if there is an actual healing of the wrinkle and the medication, that You used. If You do not want to post photos, You may send them to me at Danail_Angelov@Yahoo.com or to seivtcho@abv.bg

#29 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

At the concentration shown to be optimal for mitochondrial protection, 100-500 nM, I think it would still look pretty blue.

Yep, it would be visibly blue ( giving a very pretty colour, mind you, when mixed in with the white aqueous cream BP) at a 100nm/mL concentration. I whipped some up just for fun, in the interests of ....interest? just to see if it would stain the skin. My skin is naturally lightly tanned, but I could detect no staining or colour change when the blue cream was applied.

As many face creams contain ingredients that aim to up regulate mitochondrial activity, this seems like a not unreasonable line to pursue. A quick google search shows no literature dealing with topical MB at nM/mL concentrations, for any intervention,and none dealing with wrinkle prevention/ skin tone/ with topical application of MB.

#30 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

GThat post is very comes to be interesting the more I read.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users