- - - - -

I Recommend STOP taking Resveratrol to all people til more data is ava

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:17 AM

Don't believe it when people tell you that there are enough studies out on RES. There isn't. In fact, we are just beginning to understand its effects. It seems like RES has multiple modalities of action. and this can be Highly dangerous. and more pure the compound, the side effects are exaggerated. Meaning more pure it is, the existing side effects double or triple. This is known fact to us. I know i am in the field and i see it everyday in patients. I believe we haven't even scratched the surface of understanding its short term and long term side effects of this compound or medication or whatever you want to call it. I would recommend to everyone to stop taking RES til we have more double blind controlled studies to understand its effects and adverse effects before you make this part of daily supplement regimen.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:30 AM

FedAce, in what way are you "in the field"? Are you a farmer? The idea that you get "double or triple" the side effects with pure resveratrol is just nonsense. If you were proposing that a compound be treated with reasonable caution, that would be one thing, but you've just gone off the rails here. You are starting to sound like "The ResveraTroll" who comes around here periodically trying to scare people about various substances and anything sold by RevGenetics. I don't think you actually are him, you just sound like him.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FedAce

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:42 AM

FedAce, in what way are you "in the field"? Are you a farmer? The idea that you get "double or triple" the side effects with pure resveratrol is just nonsense. If you were proposing that a compound be treated with reasonable caution, that would be one thing, but you've just gone off the rails here. You are starting to sound like "The ResveraTroll" who comes around here periodically trying to scare people about various substances and anything sold by RevGenetics. I don't think you actually are him, you just sound like him.

I am in healthcare field. I will NOT tell you blatently what my job is. Anyway, from everything i have seen thus far, this RES has potential to be very dangerous. and i recommend people stop using it til we know more. and more double blind controlled studies are available.

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:28 AM

Don't believe it when people tell you that there are enough studies out on RES. There isn't. In fact, we are just beginning to understand its effects. It seems like RES has multiple modalities of action. and this can be Highly dangerous. and more pure the compound, the side effects are exaggerated. Meaning more pure it is, the existing side effects double or triple. This is known fact to us. I know i am in the field and i see it everyday in patients. I believe we haven't even scratched the surface of understanding its short term and long term side effects of this compound or medication or whatever you want to call it. I would recommend to everyone to stop taking RES til we have more double blind controlled studies to understand its effects and adverse effects before you make this part of daily supplement regimen.

What patients do you see everyday, who are using reseratrol? And what are these side effects you are seeing in them everyday?

#5 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:45 AM

From Natural Products Insider:

Long-Term Human Resveratrol Trial Starts in June
January 13, 20110 CommentsPosted in News, Resveratrol, Research, Industry News, Inflammation, Bone/Joint Health, Diabetes Print
EASTON, Pa.—The long-term effects of resveratrol are the basis of a five-year research project that will specifically investigate its impact on metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis and inflammation. The Danish Council for Strategic Research granted DKK 19.5 million (US$3.4 million) for the research, which will use Fluxome® Reservatrol. Research is expected to start in June 2011.

Dr. Steen Bønløkke Pedersen from Aarhus University and six Ph.D. students will observe study participants who consume Fluxome Resveratrol for 12 months. The researchers will examine if the compound can neutralize the detrimental effect of obesity on the whole body metabolism such as low-grade chronic inflammation, insulin resistance and lipid infiltration/inflammation in liver and skeletal muscle.

Pre-clinical trials have demonstrated that one effect of resveratrol is reduction of inflammation, and the same effect is expected to be seen in humans.

Low-grade inflammation is associated with type 2 diabetes, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, nonalcholoic steatohepatitis and osteoporosis. Previous studies have shown reservatrol has shown strong anti-inflammatory effects. The project participants for the upcoming research are Aarhus University, Aarhus University Hospital, University of Southern Denmark, Roskilde University, Pennsylvania State University and Fluxome A/S which will be supplying Fluxome® Resveratrol for the trials.

• like x 2

#6 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:53 AM

Whats got you so spooked about Resveratrol?

IMHO Resveratrol is good stuff, at least for sure in its Natural forms that I've seen.

Edited by Ark, 05 April 2011 - 03:54 AM.

#7 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:30 AM

Perhaps this thread belongs in the free speech subforum.

Edited by Destiny's Equation, 05 April 2011 - 06:32 AM.

#8 FedAce

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Whats got you so spooked about Resveratrol?

IMHO Resveratrol is good stuff, at least for sure in its Natural forms that I've seen.

More and more side effects are showing up everyday that we didn't know before. There are reasons to believe that there are some dangerous side effects. Its mechanism of action also is worriesome.

#9 FedAce

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

What patients do you see everyday, who are using reseratrol? And what are these side effects you are seeing in them everyday?

My patients are not on RES. I am speaking from my own experience and what i have read so far. and own judgement and education as a scientist.

#10 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

My patients are not on RES. I am speaking from my own experience and what i have read so far. and own judgement and education as a scientist.

Your patients are not on RES --- what sort of practitioner are you?

If you are referring to the anecdotal reports that have appeared in this forum, no conclusion is possible. A sample of one, such as yourself, you do not know if the "side effect" would have occurred with or without the substance in question.

In the case of joint and tendon pain, there were many experiencing it, it may have been to do anti-aromatase activity of res, and it seems to be resolved in many who complained of the symptoms by supplementing vitamin D3 to improve hydroxy-D25 blood levels.

The study I alluded to five posts ago may resolve some of the questions. If anyone wants to wait five years for the results, I've no objection.

#11 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

All - I would like to point out that if you view his posting history, you will notice that this is not the first episode of such warnings with absolutely no evidence to back up his claims.

FedAce - Post your evidence. Thanks. Resv has been picked apart in these forums by people with expertise and knowledge on the subject, some for and some against it. Who are you and why should I care about your advice or warnings when you wont post evidence or your credentials.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#12 hollywood_69

• 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Well Fed is right, it hasn't been studied longterm, it's definetly not as studied as the hard and true vitamin C. So noone really knows, and in 5 (only5) years we'll have an idea of it's effects from the study Max provided. Guess what we won't know what it will do to us in 10!! Or 20!! When did society figue out smoking was bad for us? I don't know but it was years later, and guess what people still smoke. If you like what you take, take it. People still smoke and drink becasue they like to do it. They might be the happiest people around. We all die of something. JMHO, I'm a res noob and cannot wait for the Pure Stuff! Come on X500. then at night I'll top it off and get poopy faced with Goose and Cranberry Juice!
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#13 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

Fed is right that it hasn't been studied long term, but it has been used for over a decade and pure forms have been taken for at least 5 years. People are not en masse dropping like flies or complaining of extreme side effects. This is how supplements develop. Early adopters do take some risk. Most of the people here know about the potential downsides. Hyperbolic warnings without one shred of evidence falls on well-reasoned ears.
  • like x 2

#14 FedAce

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:28 AM

Fed is right that it hasn't been studied long term, but it has been used for over a decade and pure forms have been taken for at least 5 years. People are not en masse dropping like flies or complaining of extreme side effects. This is how supplements develop. Early adopters do take some risk. Most of the people here know about the potential downsides. Hyperbolic warnings without one shred of evidence falls on well-reasoned ears.

I do want to point out that i DO agree with Holliwood and Mind. If you really like RES and is willing to take the risk of lack of data then YES, you should continue to take it. All i am saying is that I would personally NOT recommend this to any of the patients or laymen. There is lack of data and/or Not enough data to firmly tell us that YES, RES is safe in both short term and long term use. and YES, it has beneficial effects to our body, whatever that maybe. Perhaps in 5-10 more years, we will have firm enough data. But many more studies are needed to find out, 1. What exactly beneficial effects RES will have in our body-- other than what we think it has based on preliminary data-- mostly poorly designed studies, 2. it is safe to take and have established table of Side effects thru controlled studies that shows power and statistical significance of the study, 3. What is EXACT mechanism of action ? Is it truly multi-modality ? or does it have ONE predominant mechanism of action ? and how does that affect our physiology ?
  • dislike x 3

#15 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:05 AM

I find nothing wrong with Fedace's warning. It is simply common sense to be careful of a substance claimed to be highly biologically active with multiple claimed mechanisms of action and multiple effects, most of which are not understood except in the broadest terms, and some of which are not even known. Hell, when we evaluate pharmaceuticals, multiple unintended or uncontrolled effects are, to put it gently, not considered to be a good thing. And why risk your health taking it? Because of some worms? The outcome of studies on healthy higher animals (non-obese) have been negative.

It is quite ironic that the very same people shooting down Fedace because he mentions anecdotal side effects, are quite willing to risk their own health based on purely anecdotal benefits. :laugh: Indeed, the obvious response to Mind's claim that there is not a shred of evidence for a warning is that there is not a shred of evidence for any benefit in healthy people either. If you want to admit anecdotal evidence of benefit, then you also have to take seriously the plentiful anecdotal evidence that musculoskeletal side effects are common and sometimes serious. Indeed, a significant number of naysayers here eventually reported suffering from side effects themselves.

Edited by viveutvivas, 06 April 2011 - 01:11 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#16 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:05 AM

There is a vocal minority decrying the dangers, and there have been many, many who have extolled it's virtue, among which have bee:

Reduction of inflammation (inhibition of nfKappa-B)
improved stamina and endurance consistent with mitochondrial biogenesis
improved blood lipids and glucose levels (not consistently noted)

There are scattered reports of other benefits, including improved erections, improved complexion among others.

The negatives that have been noted include:
diarrhea and cramping, by far the most noted adverse effect.
joint or tendon pain, such as tendonitis.

There was one report of psoriasis with use, but this and most other reports as so sporadic they are likely coincidental, or at perhaps quite rater.

Without recapping here, resveratrol has been intensely studied for the past five years, more so than any other polyphenol, in vivo and in vitro, and in humans. Rodents live a normal life span in better apparent health on high doses. Much is known about the chemical pathways and genes that are up-regulated. It's not as if we are staring at a blank map.
  • like x 3
  • Disagree x 1

#17 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:46 AM

I've heard it can stunt growth, is that true?

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:04 AM

I have to agree with maxwatt here. If you search for 'resveratrol' in pubmed, you get 3946 papers. If you search for 'resveratol human', you get 2112 hits. This is a heavily studied compound. I've been following the compound for about four and a half years, and I have the training to make sense of the literature. I don't recommend it to others in the way that I would recommend vitamin D or fish oil, but I take a low dose of formulated high purity resveratrol myself, on the balance of the evidence. FedAce didn't just say people should be cautious with it, he was fear-mongering, exhorting all people to STOP using it, with nothing in the way of evidence or reason. That's just unhelpful trollishness.

All substances that people ingest (including food and drink) should be carefully considered. That goes without saying.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#19 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:04 AM

It can bind to certain kinds of estrogen receptors, such as the ones on the growth plates of the long bones, causing the growth plates to close prematurely. This would prevent one from realizing one's potential full height. I believe tests with adolescent rats supported this theory -- human tests have not been done -- but the rodents appeared otherwise healthy, I believe. Also, a paper described administration to pre-pubescent female rodents: at sexual maturity, the distance between the vaginal opening and anus was measurably less than in controls, implying an effect on hormonal signaling during growth. Again, the rodents appeared otherwise healthy, but I do not know if they were studied for their full life cycle. This is why I have repeatedly warned against supplementing with resveratrol before the age of 23 or 24, when the last bones in the human male, the clavicles, finish growing. It is possible females can take it younger than that without ill effect, but I do not know a good reason why someone under 30, in good health, would need to take it.

Again, as with any supplement, you should know why you are taking it, what effects or benefits you hope to see, and ideally have some kind of metric to see if it's working. Introduction of new and potentially powerfully acting substances should be gradual, starting with a low dose, a fraction of what one expects to use, and increasing the dose, perhaps by doubling every few days to a week, and carefully monitoring one's response. Common sense, but woefully uncommon.

#20 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

All i am saying is that I would personally NOT recommend this to any of the patients or laymen.

That's one of the few statements made in this discussion whose truth can be easily determined right now, no empirical study needed.

To me, there's a big difference between not recommending that someone take something, and recommending that people who have chosen to take it stop taking it. It's easy to see that the statement "Dr. X advised me to eat cornflakes" and the statement "Dr. X advised me to stop eating cornflakes" could both be false at the same time, which means "Dr. X never advised me to eat cornflakes" is not the same as "Dr. X advised me to stop eating cornflakes".

Therefore, since it says emphatically right in the title that you recommend that people stop taking resveratrol, it's a misstatement to say that all you are saying is that you would not recommend that people take resveratrol; you went much further than that right at the start.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#21 Master Yoda

• 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

I take a low dose of formulated high purity resveratrol myself, on the balance of the evidence.

May I ask what dose per day you are taking?

#22 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I have to agree with maxwatt here. If you search for 'resveratrol' in pubmed, you get 3946 papers. If you search for 'resveratol human', you get 2112 hits. This is a heavily studied compound.

Have you actually read the material?

One of results on the first page of your "resveratrol human" search states:

Resveratrol's role as a potentiator of breast carcinomas may significantly limit its use.

Edited by viveutvivas, 06 April 2011 - 01:27 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#23 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

I have to agree with maxwatt here. If you search for 'resveratrol' in pubmed, you get 3946 papers. If you search for 'resveratol human', you get 2112 hits. This is a heavily studied compound.

Resveratrol's role as a potentiator of breast carcinomas may significantly limit its use.

Which of the papers on the first page below were you referring to? as I do not see it right off. I see several implying a positive role against cancers, and I recall a paper the resveraTroll once cited, which showed resveratrol improved motility of breast cancer cells in vitro, implying this made them invasive and would worsen breast cancer in humans. What the paper actually showed which was not evident in the abstract was that despite the increased motility, the cells showed increased mortality: resveratrol actually killed them. Whatever resveratrol's negative effects, I do not believe aggravating or causing cancer is one of them.

First page of pubmed search:

Discovery of molecular mechanisms of traditional chinese medicinal formula si-wu-tang using gene expression microarray and connectivity map.
Wen Z, Wang Z, Wang S, Ravula R, Yang L, Xu J, Wang C, Zuo Z, Chow MS, Shi L, Huang Y.
PLoS One. 2011 Mar 28;6(3):e18278.
PMID: 21464939 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

Resveratrol attenuates azidothymidine-induced cardiotoxicity by decreasing mitochondrial reactive oxygen species generation in human cardiomyocytes.
Gao RY, Mukhopadhyay P, Mohanraj R, Wang H, Horváth B, Yin S, Pacher P.
Mol Med Report. 2011 Jan;4(1):151-5. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2010.390. Epub 2010 Oct 27.
PMID: 21461578 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

Longevity-relevant regulation of autophagy at the level of the acetylproteome.
Mariño G, Morselli E, Bennetzen MV, Eisenberg T, Megalou E, Schroeder S, Cabrera S, Bénit P, Rustin P, Criollo A, Kepp O, Galluzzi L, Shen S, Malik SA, Maiuri MC, Horio Y, López-Otín C, Andersen JS, Tavernarakis N, Madeo F, Kroemer G.
Autophagy. 2011 Jun 1;7(6). [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21460620 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Bioactive antioxidant mixtures promote proliferation and migration on human oral fibroblasts.
San Miguel SM, Opperman LA, Allen EP, Zielinski J, Svoboda KK.
Arch Oral Biol. 2011 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21458775 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Mediterranean diet and cardioprotection: The role of nitrite, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and polyphenols.
Nadtochiy SM, Redman EK.
Nutrition. 2011 Mar 29. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21454053 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

T-2 toxin is a cytochrome P450 1A1 inducer and leads to MAPK/p38- but not arylhydrocarbon-receptor-dependent interleukin-8 secretion in the human intestinal epithelial cell line Caco-2.
Kruber P, Trump S, Behrens J, Lehmann I.
Toxicology. 2011 Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21453744 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Dual anticoagulant/antiplatelet persulfated small molecules.
Correia-da-Silva M, Sousa E, Duarte B, Marques F, Cunha-Ribeiro LM, Pinto MM.
Eur J Med Chem. 2011 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21450376 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

High-yield resveratrol production in Engineered Escherichia coli.
Lim CG, Fowler ZL, Hueller T, Schaffer S, Koffas MA.
Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011 Mar 25. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21441338 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Effects of Flavonoids and other Polyphenols on Inflammation.
Gonzalez R, Ballester I, Lopez-Posadas R, Suarez MD, Zarzuelo A, Martinez-Augustin O, Medina FS.
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2011 Apr;51(4):331-62.
PMID: 21432698 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

The Immunomodulating Activities of Resveratrol Glucosides in Humans.
Fuggetta M, Mattivi F.
Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric. 2011 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21428873 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Beta-glucan from Saccharomyces cerevisiae reduces plasma lipid peroxidation induced by haloperidol.
Dietrich-Muszalska A, Olas B, Kontek B, Rabe-Jabłońska J.
Int J Biol Macromol. 2011 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21421004 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Chemopreventive effect of dietary polyphenols in colorectal cancer cell lines.
Araújo JR, Gonçalves P, Martel F.
Nutr Res. 2011 Feb;31(2):77-87.
PMID: 21419311 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

Extracellular HIV-1 Tat upregulates TNF-α dependent MCP-1/CCL2 production via activation of ERK1/2 pathway in rat hippocampal slice cultures: Inhibition by resveratrol, a polyphenolic phytostilbene.
Lee EO, Kim SE, Park HK, Kang JL, Chong YH.
Exp Neurol. 2011 Mar 23. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21419119 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

A Dietary Mixture Containing Fish Oil, Resveratrol, Lycopene, Catechins, and Vitamins E and C Reduces Atherosclerosis in Transgenic Mice.
Verschuren L, Wielinga PY, van Duyvenvoorde W, Tijani S, Toet K, van Ommen B, Kooistra T, Kleemann R.
J Nutr. 2011 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21411607 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Resveratrol - pills to replace a healthy diet?
Chachay VS, Kirkpatrick CM, Hickman IJ, Ferguson M, Prins JB, Martin JH.
Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011 Mar 16. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.03966.x. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21410504 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Resveratrol inhibits VEGF expression of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells through a NF-kappa B-mediated mechanism.
Yu HB, Zhang HF, Zhang X, Li DY, Xue HZ, Pan CE, Zhao SH.
Hepatogastroenterology. 2010 Sep-Oct;57(102-103):1241-6.
PMID: 21410066 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

Resveratrol Inhibits the Formation of Multiple-Layered β-Sheet Oligomers of the Human Islet Amyloid Polypeptide Segment 22-27.
Jiang P, Li W, Shea JE, Mu Y.
Biophys J. 2011 Mar 16;100(6):1550-8.
PMID: 21402038 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

Unbalanced metabolism of endogenous estrogens in the etiology and prevention of human cancer.
Cavalieri EL, Rogan EG.
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2011 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21397019 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Resveratrol Reduces the Invasive Growth and Promotes the Acquisition of a Long-Lasting Differentiated Phenotype in Human Glioblastoma Cells.
Castino R, Pucer A, Veneroni R, Morani F, Peracchio C, Lah TT, Isidoro C.
J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Mar 11. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21395220 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Resveratrol and Oligostilbenes from Vitis thunbergii var. taiwaniana against Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Arthritis.
Wang KT, Chen LG, Tseng SH, Huang JS, Hsieh MS, Wang CC.
J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Mar 10. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21391605 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Related citations

#24 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

It occured to me you may have done a google search rather than a pub med search, and this paper came up. I find their conclusions suspect, as they stated they found resveratrol activated the NF-kappaB signaling pathway, thus stimulating cancer cells. The vast majority of All other papers I've seen have found that resveratrol inhibits NF-kappaB.

So far papers suggesting cancer-causing properties of resveratrol seem to be outliers. There does seem to be more evidence of a negative effect on auto-immune conditions, but the evidence is mixed. I do know personally of one person who has an allergic type reaction manifested as psoriatic rash, which qualifies as an autoimmune condition.

Alarmism is as bad or worse than over-enthusiasm. I believe much of what we see here from time to time is the phenomena of assuming a cause to an adverse effect that would have happened anyway. It cannot be ruled out with annectdotal accounts of cases with a sample size of one. Example: someone eats a certain food, then is violently ill with stomach cramps and vomiting. There is a physical response and an association formed: one cannot consider eating that food without being nauseated. But it is equally likely the food had nothing to do with it, one contracted flu or a stomach virus, and the association is false.

Resveratrol was hyped to the skies, and it is no surprise to me that it cannot possibly live up to it's hype, though I believe it has definite if more modest benefits. But consider: we now know there are more potent activators of SIRT than resveratrol, which Sinclair missed because the original Biomol assay was faulty. I've also found there is a broad overlap in the effects of most polyphenols with resvratrol, and many have similar benefits, perhaps without side effects some people seem to experience with resveratrol. To name a few in no particular order, pterostilbene, curcumin, luteolin, silymarin.

(If anyone is interested in performing lab test in rodents please PM me, I may be able to help.)

Edited by maxwatt, 06 April 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#25 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

Also, a paper described administration to pre-pubescent female rodents: at sexual maturity, the distance between the vaginal opening and anus was measurably less than in controls, implying an effect on hormonal signaling during growth.

So basically the conclusion of the scientists was that if human females took resveratrol early in development it would thus make it easier to do a 1 one in the pink two in the stink later in life?

#26 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

Also, a paper described administration to pre-pubescent female rodents: at sexual maturity, the distance between the vaginal opening and anus was measurably less than in controls, implying an effect on hormonal signaling during growth.

So basically the conclusion of the scientists was that if human females took resveratrol early in development it would thus make it easier to do a 1 one in the pink two in the stink later in life?

I am shocked, shocked I say at your insensitive sexist remark. The conclusion should have been if they were to get drunk it will be easier to carry them home like bowling balls.

Edited by maxwatt, 06 April 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#27 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

I take a low dose of formulated high purity resveratrol myself, on the balance of the evidence.

I know you asked niner, and I can't answer for him, but I am glad to tell you what I use.

Currently 98 or 99% pure powder, 400 grams +/-20%. However, I am currently alternating on a variable with a similar amount of luteolin since I learned it activates SIRT1 at least as well as resveratrol. I'm comparing them as best I can subjectively. Luteolin is a more potent PDE4 inhibitor than resveratrol (from several papers) and can be expected to protect dopamine receptors in the substantia nigra from the effects of sleep deprivation. (Paper in nature I alluded to elsewhere in this forum). I believe i binds to D3 dopamine receptors, maybe. It seems to be an anti-depressant. It is similarly effective for arthritic pain (nf-KappaB inhibitor) but I've no way to tell if it will induce joint pain in some people the way resveratrol sometimes does. I experimented with curcumin last month, and it's positive effect on arthritic pain is similar to resveratrol. (I cannot say if it similarly induces mitochondrial biogenesis.)

Disclaimer: I am not paid to moderate this forum, and receive no monetary compensation from any of the advertisers. I derive no income from supplements. Neither do any of the other navs. If I seem overly enthusiastic about resveratrol, it is because I am, due to my own experience. But I've said many times, it's not for everyone.

#28 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:35 AM

I was making the point that it's a heavily studied molecule. I would venture to say that no one has read them all. That's reasonable, since some of them are lousy papers. I couldn't find your reference.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:43 AM

Sure, I'm currently using a product which contains the following:

100 mg Pure Micronized Trans-Resveratrol
100 mg Trans-Resveratrol-3-O-glucoside
100 mg Sheared Particle BioCurcumin®
100 mg Sheared Particle Quercetin

It's formulated in Tween 80.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users