Photo
- - - - -

pterostillbene - Life Exten Found selling new product from Chromadex

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 elphaba

• 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

There was some info on this board last December on this subject but I didn't see anything newer. Not sure if this belong in the "retail" part of the forum (I don't know where that is - I looked - sort of).

Feel free to move this post if it belongs somewhere else. I have no financial interest in this company or product other than as a very interested customer.

http://www.lef.org/n...yHealthBulletin

So - has anyone quit resveratrol and started up with pterostillbene (i.e. some form of blueberries, I believe)?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

The Chinese have begun synthesizing pterostilbene which should bring the price down. Current price FOB Shanghai is about $2000 average, but it can vary quite a bit since the market is not established yet. There are also problems shipping it, it's classed as a new drug rather than a plant extract, so there are issues about proving safety to regulatory agencies. Anthony analyzed synthetic resveratrol last year, and found the purit was not as high as claimed (closer to 90% than 995), and he could not tell what the impurities were. None-the-less, the availability of the synthetic drove down the price of the extract. I'm not sure what most manufacturers are putting into their pills. I trust Anthony and one or two others.

Previously, pterostilbene extracts came from the Malabar Kino tree, which is an endangered species through most of its range, but is plentiful in India. I hope the synthetic works out.

Other polyphenols besides resverarol are worthwhile, and some see to have very similar or at least overlapping effects: luteolin, curcumin to name two.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

Did anyone request a sample from Chromadex yet ?
http://www.pteropure...tero/index.html

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

Biotivia Pteromax available from Iherb has 100mg of pterostilbene in it, along with 100mg Polydatin and 250mg Resveratrol. Pretty interesting supplement.

Iherb link

#5 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

That is an interesting stack. The problem is, the Resveratrol is only 50%, so the other 125 mgs has some emodin in it. Anyone sensitive wouldnt be able to use it for long. Has anyone here used this? Any GI problems?

#6 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

I've been using it for 2 weeks. No issues. The body would get used to the emodin, even if you had a negative reaction initially.

#7 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Experience any increase of energy, enhanced recovery from exercise, feelings of well-being, mood lift?

#8 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

No noticeable effects.

#9 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:10 AM

I've been using it for 2 weeks. No issues. The body would get used to the emodin, even if you had a negative reaction initially.

Emodin can cause ulceration of the intestines and lead to pre-cancerous lesions. I do not think any real physiological tolerance develops, either. One merely becomes accustomed to the effects.

On the other hand, 50% extracts with only one or two percent emodin are being produced; below 20 mg, most people have no issues, and as much as 30 mg may be tolerated by many before experiencing intestinal discomfort. But long term use may be ill-advised even at low doses.

#10 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

I definitely noticed a tolerance develop during the period I was taking 1 gram of 50% extract daily. Initially the effect on the bowels was quite dramatic, but dissipated to no effect at all after about 2 months.

#11 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Is anyone taking Pterostilbene already and can give some input about it?
I see Jarrow will launch a PteroPure product soon, which is labeled as a "CR Support Supplement" which I find interesting.
Pterostilbene looks very promising (I did not make my own research yet, but read the Cromadex promotion material, probably not so much of an neutral source :) )
(promotion material, such as bioavailabilities, various charts, studies, current research, health targets ... can be requested online from Chromadex)
They claim PteroPure has a oral bioavailablility of 80-95% though in the wikipedia entry for pterostilbene a study on rats is quoted with an oral bioavailability of 12%.
Did I miss something?

#12 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have added pterostilbene @100mg to my daily routine 2 weeks ago. I will report back as soon there is anything to report about, like side effects, or positive effects.
So far I can not say much about it. The only "adverse" effect is, like reported with resveratrol, trouble falling asleep when the dose is taken too late in the day.

I dissolve 100mg of pterostilbene with 500mg resveratrol in 1cl ethanol and add 1/2-1 teespoon PEG.
Does anything speak against combining resveratrol and pterostilbene, or should the pterostilbene be taken without the PEG?

#13 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

I have added pterostilbene @100mg to my daily routine 2 weeks ago. I will report back as soon there is anything to report about, like side effects, or positive effects.
So far I can not say much about it. The only "adverse" effect is, like reported with resveratrol, trouble falling asleep when the dose is taken too late in the day.

I dissolve 100mg of pterostilbene with 500mg resveratrol in 1cl ethanol and add 1/2-1 teespoon PEG.
Does anything speak against combining resveratrol and pterostilbene, or should the pterostilbene be taken without the PEG?

There is no apparent reason not to take them together, but the combination has not been studied. Peg is likely to increase blood levels, but again this has not been studied for pterostilbene to my knowledge. Micronization is likely to increase the effectiveness of PEG as a dispersant.

#14 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

Hi Maxwatt,

Thank you for your reply!

I will try to get some smaller particle resveratrol the next time, since mine is "regular" sized.

I do not know if the Pteropure pterostilbene comes in micro sized particles unfortunately, I will try to get the info on their website.

Some manufacturers make extra large particle sized products for example curcumin, for the ease of handling (lower loss as dust when capping etc.)

Since Pterostilbene is supposed to have a higher bioavailability the PEGlyzation must not be necessary, but since the compound is insoluble in water AFAIK it could enhance absorbtion.

#15 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

Update: Biotivia announced a new Pterostilbene product on their website Pteroactive
http://www.biotivia....pteroactiv.html
I'm looking forward seeing the Jarrow Formulars product online.
Pterostilbene seems to be a very hot candidate at the momnent :)

#16 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

Well for those wondering,

My company we will not be making a product in the near future with Pterostilbene from Chromadex. I think they have a lot invested in it as the company they get it from in India gave them exclusivity, for ordering a high amount on a yearly basis. Not sure if they have met all the milestones, but presumably they are pushing this material hard to everyone they know. We may do it next year if we find it to complement a new formulation...however it is difficult to consider at this time.

You see... In my personal opinion I believe there is a better compound out there ;)

I am hoping a new study by our own CSO working with UCLA comes out soon, to show some interesting activity that has not been shown before, for some other compounds we had furnished them.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 26 June 2011 - 04:29 AM.

• like x 1

#17 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:15 AM

Well for those wondering,

My company we will not be making a product in the near future with Pterostilbene from Chromadex. I think they have a lot invested in it as the company they get it from in India gave them exclusivity, for ordering a high amount on a yearly basis. Not sure if they have met all the milestones, but presumably they are pushing this material hard to everyone they know. We may do it next year if we find it to complement a new formulation...however it is difficult to consider at this time.

You see... In my personal opinion I believe there is a better compound out there ;)

I am hoping a new study by our own CSO working with UCLA comes out soon, to show some interesting activity that has not been shown before, for some other compounds we had furnished them.

Cheers
A

Anything we've discussed here in the past?

#18 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

I am holding my cards close to the vest on this one... ;)

At least for now.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

What's wrong with current blueberry supplements? (AOR, LEF)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users