Photo

Beyond-a-century disclosure:Chinese/India imports

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

to do so one would have to ignore the whole nootropics forum.

#122 Yosi

• 14 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 07:38 PM

One could simply choose not to read his posts, Mr. "Lurker" (LOL).

That's hard because he is littering almost all the therads.

Yosi

P.S.

Any idea why the text between the

tags is not being quoted?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#123 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:09 PM

I'm using Mozilla Firefox. What browser are you using?

#124 Yosi

• 14 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:58 PM

I'm using Mozilla Firefox. What browser are you using?

Mozilla Firefox 1.0

edit: for some reason it worked now.

Yosi

#125 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:04 PM

I have bargained for $80 USP metal assays and $30 melting point assays with Analytical Labs in Anaheim. If anybody wants to submit a sample, you can contact david_analytical@yahoo.com.

thanks for shaking the tree, nootropi, I might send stuff in. Wow, what excellent assay prices.

#126 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

Hey pinball,

I am only, as you say, "shaking the tree" out of concern for my own health.

#127 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:59 AM

I guess I haven't thought about it too much before, but if someone wants to pay for it to see results then I think it would be great to have Piracetam/Aniracetam tested from BAC, bulknutrition.com, unique nutrition, smi2le, american nutrition and any other US based business to see how they compare.

I don't know if all of you seen my link for Piracetam from American Nutrition in the "Nootropic Sources" section. They have a pretty good price on it. They say it's pharmaceutical grade tested at above 99.5% purity. I wonder how safe their product is and where they get their Piracetam from. It'd be nice to see some tests and get some more information from them too.

http://www.americann...o/Piracetam.htm

#128 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:53 PM

Update:

I got a chance to speak with an owner of Beyond-a-century.com; the individual with whom I spoke was named Erik Cochrane (BAC VP) . When I asked him if his products were tested by a third party for heavy metals and melting point, he proceeded to explain that (and these are pretty much his exact words):

Owner of BAC: "Well, you know that there are 'good' suppliers in China and 'bad' suppliers."

I had to laugh at that. I mean, here we are, ingesting several tons of products imported directly from China and/or India, and we are supposed to just hope that BAC gets it from the "right" people. Sorry, I value my life far more than to leave it in the hands of whom the owner of BAC deems to be a "good" supplier. That is ridiculous. As I have already thoroughly proven, even imports that are REQUIRED to be tested for contaminants (i.e. Asian patent medicines, Ayurhvedic herbs (sp), etc) have been proven to contain deadly levels of contaminants.

I wrote an email (of outrage) the contents of which can be found by clicking here demanding that BAC disclose EXACTLY which products are in fact imported directly from China and are never screened by a third party for heavy metals and melting point assays. BAC replied, only (of course) after I asked everybody in this and the Avantlabs forum to copy the contents of that email and submit it to BAC as support for my argument that our LIFE EXTENSION SUPPLMENTS NEED TO BE SCREENED by A THIRD PARTY (independent) LABORATORY before sellling them to the general public. Beyond-a-century replied, after several days, with the following:

Hello:

Although this is not a complete list, we can verify that the Shilajit comes
from India. An in house (supplier) certificate of analysis confirms that
heavy metals
comply with in house specs at NMT 20 ppm; lead NMT 10 ppm; arsenic MNT 1
ppm.

Erik indicated he spoke with you and that you may have some items
independently tested. We would be interested in any results.

Best regards

Beyond A Century, Inc.
173 Lily Bay Road

What BAC is citing here is a test that was included with the bulk product purchased directly from India. That is NOT A THIRD PARTY (I explain why this is not sufficient above)!

Furthermore, beyond-a-century NEVER REPLIED disclosing the FULL LIST OF PRODUCTS imported directly from China and/or India without having been screened for heavy metals and melting point. I think I know why. Either their owners are LAZY or just don't give two shits (pardon my French) about our health. I know this is now in fact the case; because when I spoke with Eric directly on the phone, he said: "I don''t know which one are imported directly from China (and/or India) and are never tested by a third party laboratory. Some are, some aren't. I would have to look it up, and that would take a long time."

I replied: "Okay, I would not want to make you work any harder, now." (note the sarcasm).

Now I hope you can see how our lives are in the hands of someone who thinks ensuring the safety of our LIFE EXTENSION supplements is not worth his time of day; HE WON'T EVEN BOTHER TO TAKE THE TIME TO DISCLOSE EXACTLY WHICH PRODUCTS ARE INDIAN/CHINESE IMPORTS AND WHICH ARE NOT.

I highly recommend NOT purchasing any product from BAC UNLESS you are SURE that is in fact manufactured in the United States from a reputable supplier.

I stand firmly on this issue with Paul and Kitty Wakfer in no longer supporting BAC due to my concern for quality control issues.

Broke links to BAC. Will seek new source of supplements previously obtained from BAC as supply is exhausted. Although Tom (as Paul Wakfer) has been a customer of BAC for 20 years, the recent response by Erik Cochrane BAC VP (Google post from Kitty Antonik Wakfer 2/4/02) demonstrates a company attitude that we can not support with our business.

Take care.
Greenville, ME 04441

Edited by nootropi, 13 January 2005 - 04:32 PM.

#129 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:03 AM

From Kitty Antonik Wakfer:

Dissatisfaction with BAC does not surprise me - it appears that Erik
Cochrane has not changed his practices in the two years since I notified him
of considerable density labeling errors in several powder products. Having
my old sci.life-extension thread "relifed" along with the new crop of
complaints may now reach even more current and potential BAC customers.
Complete information exchange about companies *and* people is essential for
informed decisions towards the goal of maximizing one's lifetime happiness.

Thanks for bringing these to my attention.

**Kitty Antonik Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Rational freedom by self-sovereignty & social contracting

#130 4jacques

• 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

I see now why some do not like this Nootropi.

"It is one thing to show a man that he is in error, and another to put him in possession of truth"
-John Locke

Edited by 4jacques, 17 April 2005 - 09:21 PM.

#131 nootropictookam

• 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

Edited by LifeMirage

Anyone making claims against companies without proof will be immediately deleted. Also posting completely irreverent posts (or hijacking a thread) will be either deleted or moved to the Free Speech Forum depending on the post.

I have zero tolerance for those seeking to disturb rather than inform The Immortality Institute.

Yours In Health

LifeMirage

Edited by LifeMirage, 31 July 2005 - 06:55 PM.

#132 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

Adam is back as nootropictookam ???

#133 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

And posting everywhere

#134 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

life's too short!!!

#135 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

Stellar,

"Beyond-A-Century...They've been in business for 20 some years"

They have excellent customer service (Ive ordered from them myself) and are very helpful when you call them on the phone.  But if you read the avant threads there are some questions which were raised.  Paul Wakfur (morelife.com) also does not use them any more...details are on his site.

And no, LOL I really am not a 1 fast stooge.

Yes, and I saw inositol cheaper on BAC than the Jarrow brand I bought elsewhere. With all this China scare, I asked BAC where their (cheaper) inositol comes from. The response was it came from China and they could not offer a COA. I told them thanks, they won't be getting my business on this item.

Maybe if enough people do what I did producers will start showing some responsibility.

I represent no commercial interest here but I'm not interested in getting anything from China even if it has a COA (as though you can trust the COA the Chinese provide). I can do without the heavy metals, thank you.

#136 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

browser makes a good point here about the likelihood of Chinese/Indian supplements (and food products) containing heavy metals. I can't believe the pictures of Bejing smog that I see on the news and I can't believe the world's premier athletes are going to compete in that putrid air next year (olympians). The food growing regions are probably not as polluted but I still suspect elevated levels of heavy metals in the water and soil.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#137 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

Stellar,

"Beyond-A-Century...They've been in business for 20 some years"

They have excellent customer service (Ive ordered from them myself) and are very helpful when you call them on the phone.  But if you read the avant threads there are some questions which were raised.  Paul Wakfur (morelife.com) also does not use them any more...details are on his site.

And no, LOL I really am not a 1 fast stooge.

Yes, and I saw inositol cheaper on BAC than the Jarrow brand I bought elsewhere. With all this China scare, I asked BAC where their (cheaper) inositol comes from. The response was it came from China and they could not offer a COA. I told them thanks, they won't be getting my business on this item.

Maybe if enough people do what I did producers will start showing some responsibility.

I represent no commercial interest here but I'm not interested in getting anything from China even if it has a COA (as though you can trust the COA the Chinese provide). I can do without the heavy metals, thank you.

So you never take any vitamins, supplements, antibiotics, etc. Read
http://seattletimes....vitamins03.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users