Photo
- - - - -

Bacopa for Bipolar

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

Sorry for sounding harsh or coming down hard on you, I just get frustrated sometimes when people don't even seem to want to take the time to at least try to understand psychology and the impact childhood experience can have on our lives throughout adulthood.

If you have decent health insurance, a certain amount of therapy sessions should be covered per year, if not an unlimited amount for the year, you just have to find a therapist that takes your insurance. And try not to be turned off by the idea of the classic old school therapist, sure there are many of those out there, but there are many more that are down to earth, compasssionate, emapathetic, and fun loving individuals that you could see yourself being friends with. This is the kind of therapist many of us should be looking for. I've been lucky to have been able to spend time with two of this ilk.

I hope you start feeling better soon, mood swings fucking suck. If lithium does not help much, I bet depakote will, just avoid too high a dose. Also look into some of the supplements that have been mentioned in this thread.

I forgot to mention, while therapy may not be a quick fix, it does offer you a medium in which you get support from a person with an objective standing. And even if it does take a few years to really make the progress you need to, isn't that worth a better rest of your life, for you and your family?

#32 Louise101

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

I just get frustrated sometimes when people don't even seem to want to take the time to at least try to understand psychology and the impact childhood experience can have on our lives throughout adulthood.

I agree it probably has done something to how I'm wired overall. I have looked into CBT before, but chickened out. I think it comes down to avoidance. I want a magic pill that will make me happy. I certainly don't want to delve into what happened years ago. I love my parents and I know they were doing the best they could, but they really kind of sucked at it. They are still alive and they are very worried about me. The idea that their actions could have fucked me up like this is very disheartening and scary. But you are not the first person to suggest it. I think I also have dismissed it in that past because I know others who have had bad childhoods yet they are not suffering from any type of emotional issues. Maybe I just got unlucky.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

I just get frustrated sometimes when people don't even seem to want to take the time to at least try to understand psychology and the impact childhood experience can have on our lives throughout adulthood.

I agree it probably has done something to how I'm wired overall. I have looked into CBT before, but chickened out. I think it comes down to avoidance. I want a magic pill that will make me happy. I certainly don't want to delve into what happened years ago. I love my parents and I know they were doing the best they could, but they really kind of sucked at it. They are still alive and they are very worried about me. The idea that their actions could have fucked me up like this is very disheartening and scary. But you are not the first person to suggest it. I think I also have dismissed it in that past because I know others who have had bad childhoods yet they are not suffering from any type of emotional issues. Maybe I just got unlucky.

They may not have suffered they way you have, but I am sure they were affected negatively in some way, and it likely showed up the most in their relationships and/or their ability to consistently be good to themselves.

Well, at least you have some awareness, that's better than many. I think it's great that you love and appreciate your parents for who they are. But, you have to do what is best for you, like they should have been doing. Facing your demons in therapy is not easy, but it will pay off in the long run. The process does not have to involve dwelling on things, but you will have to face the sadness, anxiety, and anger that you carry as a result of not getting what you needed from your parents. You sound like a forgiving person, this would benefit you in the therapy process. Some just get angry and bitter and use this as a way to protect them for really dealing with their inner emotions. Many ways of protection don't seem to make sense. Anxiety, for example, is often a way of protecting ourselves believe it or not. It keeps us from feeling too good. If we were to feel really good, then we would be vulnerable to getting hurt all over again. But if we stay in a consistent state of suffering, we are never vulnerable and just stay in limbo. It's like people who never allow themselves to truly be vulnerable in love. They deny themselves something wonderful because they are afraid they may lose it and end up so hurt that they find themselves worse off than they were without love. All of these protective mechanisms are manifestations that rise out of being hurt in the past. It gets even more complicated than how I have poorly explained. We are fucked up beings that seem to perpetuate our suffering. I digress.

The ball is in your court. All you have to do is test out a few therapists until you find a good one and give it a good go. Maybe thinking about how much your child would benefit would be motivation. The nice thing about therapy is it helps you learn to be more compassionate for yourself and sort of lets you off the hook for some things you may have carried guilt about or been hard on yourself for.

In the meantime, I think either lithium or depakote, or a combination of the two at a moderate dose, could really help even out your mood.

#34 boo

• 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

Hi Louise.

How long have you been off SSRIs? The reason I ask is because a lot of people don't realize that coming off SSRIs can cause a prolonged withdrawal reaction, and it takes time for your brain to get back to normal.
I think sadly a lot of people don't realize this which is why they end up going back on meds at some point. Also many people get labelled as "bipolar" after starting/coming off SSRIs (there's actually a book about this called Anatomy of an Epidemic).
I have been on SSRIs in the past, and that was when all of my problems started, and they sound similar to what you're describing - things like getting suicidal thoughts in reaction to stress.
I'm actually currently in the process of weaning off Lexapro, and it's a hellish experience. I can no longer stand crowded places like the supermarket as my stress response is so strong.

There's a forum called paxil progress, for people who are weaning off or have been off SSRIs for some time. If you want further proof of this SSRI withdrawal phenomenom then have a look there, although be warned, it can be quite depressing as the people there are suffering a lot after coming off various meds.

Anyway if you want to ask me anything else about this please do. I'm not a doctor, just someone who has experienced similar issues.

#35 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:10 AM

Are you open to therapy? I get the sense that you have reservations about going.

My reservations are due to the fact that I can't really imagine a lot of benefit from it. It costs lots of money and takes time. And I really feel like this is a physical problem. I just don't "get" how something that might have happened in childhood would cause rapid cycling like this. If I were triggered every time I saw a red car or if talking about money set me off, then I would see the point. But I just am just normal/depressed/irritable/normal/despondent all week long with no clear reason. It feels like my brain is broken. I've had work stress lately, and I became very escalated this week at one point (lots of crying, feeling out of control, suicidal). That is not a normal response. I have lots of relationships with normal types and I know for a fact that my brain is completely different from theirs. They respond appropriately to stress. They do not throw things or wish to jump off a bridge. And one of my best friends had a far more traumatic childhood than I did (ex: mom committed suicide and step mother was passive aggressive). Yet she's totally normal....her baseline is calm and happy, and when bad things happen she snaps back quickly. I envy that. In fact, most of the people in my life are like this, so that's what I am assuming NORMAL looks like. And it sure ain't me.

I will definitely try upping the dose of Lithium Orotate, thanks for that info. I always read that Lamictal was great for bipolar II. I absolutely hate drugs. I don't want to take any of them...I despise all the side effects and potential long-term issues. I think I read that Lamictal does something to calcium levels and could potentially cause issues with bone loss (but don't quote me on that). But there is always SOMETHING. The two people I know who are on Lithium are fat and have acne. I only mention it because those are two side effects that I am not interested in. But I did listen to you, Morgan re: low dosing it.

I have never heard of Lamictal causing bone problems. Honestly, it really is the gold standard for Bipolar II and you really should give it a shot. I understand how you feel about your brain being broken. I feel the same way because of a supplement I took three years ago. Long story short, it fixed all my problems for three weeks and then sent me into a nervous breakdown. But as long as your insurance covers it, therapy can't hurt, and may actually help.

Your gonna have to do something. It seems like you have an avoidant personality because you won't do therapy, you won't take Lamictal, etc...if you are really bipolar 2, and especially if you have children, you're gonna have to take the driver's seat in your life and take control. There's a lot out there that might help you, and you need to explore every option.

#36 Louise101

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I was on SSRIs for many years, and I do believe they made me worse. Maybe. Yeah, I am an avoider. I avoid as much as possible. But in my defense, I did not say I won't do therapy or take lamictal. I just would prefer not to sit around talking about my childhood or take drugs. I realize this is possibly what I may need to do to get better though.

One STRANGE thing I've noticed this week. I had to travel to take care of some things for a family member and I'm super busy. I have not had any symptoms at all. I feel totally normal for the past several days. So it seems like when I'm really busy and out of my normal environment that my symptoms disappear. (no anxiety, no feeling suicidal, no sadness) That is really scary because it possibly means that I'm somehow manufacturing these symptoms?? If I were truly bipolar, it would follow me everywhere! :|

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#37 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

I was on SSRIs for many years, and I do believe they made me worse. Maybe. Yeah, I am an avoider. I avoid as much as possible. But in my defense, I did not say I won't do therapy or take lamictal. I just would prefer not to sit around talking about my childhood or take drugs. I realize this is possibly what I may need to do to get better though.

One STRANGE thing I've noticed this week. I had to travel to take care of some things for a family member and I'm super busy. I have not had any symptoms at all. I feel totally normal for the past several days. So it seems like when I'm really busy and out of my normal environment that my symptoms disappear. (no anxiety, no feeling suicidal, no sadness) That is really scary because it possibly means that I'm somehow manufacturing these symptoms?? If I were truly bipolar, it would follow me everywhere! :|

Another example of how improving your lifestyle can improve your mind. Are you sure you actually have bipolar? I thought I did but then realised it was just ups and downs all related to my depression. I think every human being on the planet would be bi-polar to some extent and it does seem to be a term that is banded around quite a bit. Seems to be even fashionable to some extent. Personally I don't think mania would be a lot of fun at all and the lows must really suck. Saying that I take Lithium (sometimes 5mg, sometimes 10mg of the orotate) and it really helps me. Chills me out considerably. I use it with SJW and everything is going well for me right now. The only downside is this combination has killed my sex drive. I'm just not interested in at all at the moment, but maybe that's a good thing. Being a slave to your love tool isn't much fun either. Good luck.

Edited by Thorsten, 04 May 2011 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users