Photo

Medical Science is a Fucking Miracle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

My consort, the amazing April Smith, is reading Pox: An American History by Michael Willrich, a book about smallpox and the cultural and civil liberties strife involved in the introduction of the smallpox vaccine. (I'd heard an excellent interview on the subject on "Fresh Air" on NPR).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
We live in a world where dedicated researchers, public health advocates and workers, and investments in research and deployment have nearly eradicated this deadly, horrific plague.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Some of the early campaigns were in various ways brutal and immoral. But the achievement could have been done ethically, and is truly astonishing -- let alone when put together with what we have achieved with polio, measles, and even heart disease and cancer.

Never in human history have we lived so free of early death, disability, and disease. And we can do more, if we try, for the new diseases of aging which are terrible, but for which we should be grateful to our scientific forebearers for giving us the privilege of living long enough to suffer.

We live in an age of scientific miracles. Our lives are unimaginable, to the minds of all who have gone before.

Never forget.
  • like x 2

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

Thats what I was thinking.

I often think about how perspectiveless people can be. I mean, a thousand years ago I don't think people could imagine all the tools and potential we would have by today. If they could have had a seer come and tell them all about it it seems they would envision a world of eager disease warriors jumping at the chance to harness the tools to eradicate the plagues. A world where people joyously worked together on a world scale to merrily go about picking these scourges out of the fabric of society one by one until they were all but gone.

People aren't completely indifferent these days, but it seems there is enough of it. I think people can benefit from more perspective like that given here by your topic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

I concur. It blows me away.

#4 tepol

• 100 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

Never in human history have we lived so free of early death, disability, and disease. And we can do more, if we try, for the new diseases of aging which are terrible, but for which we should be grateful to our scientific forebearers for giving us the privilege of living long enough to suffer.

That depends what youd consider and a disability or disease, not so long ago homosexuality was considered one too , I wonder what peoples defintions will include tomorrow ?

tepol

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:29 AM

Science - good.

Medicine - good.

Vaccines - good.

Market pressure to immunize based on voluntary agreements like insurance contracts, neighborhood association policies, school entrance requirements, etc, etc, etc - all good.

Violent monopolies (aka "governments") claiming to act in the name of science, thereby subverting it for their power-hungry goals - horrible.

[...] not so long ago homosexuality was considered [a disease ...]

It's a character flaw, though a relatively minor one in most cases, but people still have the Right to discriminate on its basis. Now the blunt instrument of government-controlled "science" is trying to convince people that sexual orientation is 100% deterministic and parents who want to increase their odds of having more (or any) grandchildren are bigots, which is total bull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users