Photo
- - - - -

Guess my age

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

#31 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Yeah Sköt, you do look pretty young. Now let's hear from the anti-paleo/IGF-1 crowd...

It's funny how people who look younger than that have been said to look older than that by some of you. I smell bias, yet again. But that's all i'll say on that tired old subject at this time.

#32 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

Yeah Sköt, you do look pretty young. Now let's hear from the anti-paleo/IGF-1 crowd...

lol. /check-in. Yeah, Scöt looks young for his age. And definitely healthy. Do my goofy faceshot, from fb.

Posted Image

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

skot is pro igf-1?

#34 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

lol. /check-in. Yeah, Scöt looks young for his age. And definitely healthy. Do my goofy faceshot, from fb.

Posted Image

Hur gammal är du? Har du en bättre bild?

skot is pro igf-1?

I'm not pro igf-1, but I'm not going out of my way to inhibit it either. I've always looked young... when I was a teenager I looked a lot younger than my peers and got made teased for it.

I used to think people should take a lot of protein, but after coming to this site, I have since began thinking the 1g/kg is an excellent guideline. I've also had to stop exercising due to health issues and I think the extra accumulation of fat has padded my face a little. Usually my face looks a little more hollow.

Here is a photo of me when I was rather lean (and a couple days unshaven.. see no beard?):
Attached File  37784_417809682334.png   594.86KB   114 downloads

Different lighting, but you get the idea.

#35 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

beautiful...
just simply, beautiful.

#36 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

I've also had to stop exercising due to health issues

Permanently, or just till you figure out what's ailing you and how to counter it? Exercise is an integral part of your life, wouldn't it be torture to be without it?

#37 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Diet is not the only thing that determines how young someone looks. There's also genetics, exercise, skin care products and how much time you spend in the sun with or without protection. My Father is 52 and he eats a lot of bad carbs and red meat, he's a bit overweight (20 lbs I think), doesn't use sunblock, didn't exercise (stopped in his 30s and recently picked it up again) yet people at his job thought he was in his mid to late 30s (when he first transfered to his current city). His co-workers often asked to see his ID as they did not believe he was over 50; in his case it seems his genes have more of an effect than diet, etc.

It's impossible to determine if skot's appearance has anything to do with his diet. I suppose the moral of the story is that one should not generalize what others are supposed to look like at a certain age, based on the observation of a few individuals.
  • like x 1

#38 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

Try and guess, just off the top of your head.

I agree with Dmitri ^^ that diets generally have very little to do with facial aging, at least for the first ~40, maybe 50 years of life..

EDIT: Regarding health, diets do play a vital role I like to think.

Edited by kenj, 27 May 2011 - 07:30 AM.

#39 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

For Immortal I would have said early 20's. 22-24

Edited by Matt, 27 May 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#40 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

Now... Sköt Looks YOUNG! :D

#41 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

I agree with Dmitri ^^ that diets generally have very little to do with facial aging

Well, he made one anecdotal claim about his father. This does not conclude that it is thus the case henceforth that diet+facial aging have no correlation. Personally I have seen too many cases of siblings, one older, one younger, looking years apart (the older one looking younger/healthier in some cases) due to dietary differences, to rule out the very definite possibility of diet strongly influencing appearance over the course of many years.

Edited by TheFountain, 27 May 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#42 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

>1000 views...wtf?

#43 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

I kept reloading it because when you look closely at Skot's face, there's a map of the fountain of youth.

#44 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

I think early 20's, but I can't see your face very well so it's hard to tell.

Permanently, or just till you figure out what's ailing you and how to counter it? Exercise is an integral part of your life, wouldn't it be torture to be without it?

Not permanently I hope! I totally agree that life would be terrible without exercise.

#45 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

I think early 20's, but I can't see your face very well so it's hard to tell.

Try again, I want numbers! ;)

If you don't mind me asking, how come you can't exercise? (At all? You look 'fit', from another pic I saw)

EDIT: Here's another, full bodyshot from winter:

Posted Image

Edited by kenj, 27 May 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#46 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

I agree with Dmitri ^^ that diets generally have very little to do with facial aging, at least for the first ~40, maybe 50 years of life..

EDIT: Regarding health, diets do play a vital role I like to think.

I agree that diet has a large role to play when it comes to health. Despite my father's youthful appearance he did have prostate cancer 2 years ago (he's cured now as the cancer was barely entering stage 1 when it was discovered). That's part of the reason he's taken up exercise once more and why he's starting to eat healthier foods. Also, while diet might play some role in your appearance I don't think it's the main factor as I mentioned other factors that contribute to aging in my previous post.

#47 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

I agree with Dmitri ^^ that diets generally have very little to do with facial aging

Well, he made one anecdotal claim about his father. This does not conclude that it is thus the case henceforth that diet+facial aging have no correlation. Personally I have seen too many cases of siblings, one older, one younger, looking years apart (the older one looking younger/healthier in some cases) due to dietary differences, to rule out the very definite possibility of diet strongly influencing appearance over the course of many years.

I do think it plays some role, but I don't think it's the only factor or the main factor. Are you going to deny that exercise, minimizing solar damage and genetics don't matter as much or more than diet?

#48 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

I do think it plays some role, but I don't think it's the only factor or the main factor. Are you going to deny that exercise, minimizing solar damage and genetics don't matter as much or more than diet?

I think it's a combination of factors...skin protection, lifestyle (no smoking..), and of course diet.
Here are some family pictures for you guys to look at (I'm sure they will appreciate me posting their FB photos to be judged :sleep:)..

This my dad, aged 62. He looks pretty good for his age despite have an entirely average lifestyle with a decent amount of job related stress (he still works as a consultant and travels a lot). Interestingly his hair color has turn from a reddish brown to a black, but he still has "color" I suppose.

Attached File  n1301608987_226043_7463.jpg   228.47KB   179 downloads

Attached File  n1301608987_226044_5637.jpg   71.25KB   188 downloads

My mother (also aged 62). She also still has some of her hair color which was originally a very light blonde:
Attached File  22478_537940256544_29302347_31832899_5303965_n.jpg   60.18KB   171 downloads

Here are my maternal cousins, they don't look all that great for their age I think:

Attached File  n10704492_37343166_9503.jpg   53.78KB   166 downloads
Erik (left) is 24, Björn is 26.

Attached File  218070_10100341335363098_10704492_55701640_6468375_n.jpg   40.24KB   119 downloads
More recent of Björn.

On my maternal side, everyone is very light complexion. I've got some of that myself so I use sunscreen religiously. I burn very easily, but not as bad as my cousins. No one is really that health conscious in my family aside from myself.

#49 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how come you can't exercise? (At all? You look 'fit', from another pic I saw)

Okay, I think 24? :|? Maybe slightly younger?

I was diagnosed with an adrenal adenoma. Had surgery to remove it and I'm recovering.

Edited by Skötkonung, 27 May 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#50 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

>>> Okay, I think 24? :|? <<<

No.

>>> Maybe slightly younger? <<<

No. (Isn't this funnn? :))

>>> I was diagnosed with an adrenal adenoma. Had surgery to remove it and I'm recovering. <<<

Sry about your condition. To Your Health, looking forward!
BTW, you have something to look forward to, considered your genes. ;) Especially your mom looks 'radiant', FWIW.

#51 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

Yeah your parents look very good for their age.

#52 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

your father looks really young for his age! :) Looks to me like he's in his 40's

#53 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

In mutant mice (defect in GH) you get less cross-linking and damage in the collagen (1), this is also seen in calorically restricted mice (2). Thus not only is there a dietary effect but most probably a genetic component that plays a large part.

We as humans though live outside where there is sun and environmental toxins so our "perceived" age probably has multiple factors to it. (3) is an older study looking at males (more recent studies focus on females nowadays [that is where the money is, which is counter to this forum's population]). Color and Shape play a large role, it was found that averaging many composites improved perception of age, the discussion mentions that the images were more blurry and this is what caused the younger perception, but it was probably due to the fact that any splotches and what not were ironed out. For some more recent reading on this (4-6). What one will see is that chronological age and skin age are not very tightly linked, perceived age is more accurate. Also facial structure plays a large role (e.g. bone structure, subcutaneous distribution, etc...). I originally got interested in this stuff when trying to find a way at home to test the skin (e.g. fluorescence for AGEs).

So while diet probably does play a role, I have seen people with very unhealthy lifestyles who have wonderful skin and look great for their age, and I'm sure there are folks out there practicing CR that look old for their age too. To look young, Sunscreen and Retin-A are probably best bet (of course this is on top of good diet, exercise, and proper supplementation).

btw, you look great for your age Skot and Matt.

Addendum: Also wrinkles play a large role in age perception. For many who get sunburned they notice that their skin is better (but this is just inflammation), and in my opinion some overweight/obese people have great skin for their age (subcutaneous fat stretching the skin?)

References

1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 Jun 5;98(12):6736-41. Epub 2001 May 22.Lifespan extension and delayed immune and collagen aging in mutant mice with defects in growth hormone production.Flurkey K, Papaconstantinou J, Miller RA, Harrison DE.
2. J Gerontol. 1994 Mar;49(2):B71-9.Influence of age and long-term dietary restriction on enzymatically mediated crosslinks and nonenzymatic glycation of collagen in mice.Reiser KM.
3. Proc Biol Sci. 1995 Feb 22;259(1355):137-43.Perception of age in adult Caucasian male faces: computer graphic manipulation of shape and colour information.Burt DM, Perrett DI.
4. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2008 Aug;22(8):982-91. Epub 2008 Jun 6.Influence of facial skin attributes on the perceived age of Caucasian women.Nkengne A, Bertin C, Stamatas GN, Giron A, Rossi A, Issachar N, Fertil B.
5. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2010 Mar;24(3):341-8. Epub 2009 Sep 16.Ageing appearance in China: biophysical profile of facial skin and its relationship to perceived age.Mayes AE, Murray PG, Gunn DA, Tomlin CC, Catt SD, Wen YB, Zhou LP, Wang HQ, Catt M, Granger SP.
6. PLoS One. 2009 Dec 1;4(12):e8021.Why some women look young for their age.Gunn DA, Rexbye H, Griffiths CE, Murray PG, Fereday A, Catt SD, Tomlin CC, Strongitharm BH, Perrett DI, Catt M, Mayes AE, Messenger AG, Green MR, van der Ouderaa F, Vaupel JW, Christensen K.

Edited by Sillewater, 28 May 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#54 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:36 AM

I don't think retin-a is the best thing for preventing skin problems for everybody, despite the science behind it. I speak mainly for sensitive skinned individuals. For those having a hard time adapting to retinoic acid, try intermittent glycolic acid peels 2-3 times a month. The best thing I did for my skin was stopping retin-a use and starting this regimen. I found that retin-a inflamed my already sensitive skin and made it so dry it caused artificial wrinkles to develop. And there was barely nothing that could be done about the inflammation it caused as it rendered all other actives apparently in-active or basically useless. Plus it is too much upkeep with having to watch every little thing you do. The other thing is chemical sunscreens. Got rid of them and am never looking back. Physical sunscreens are where its at. A lot lighter in my experience and a lot less damaging. Oh, almost forgot to mention emu oil. Best anti-inflammation moisturizer out there. Topical niacinamide is another plus. Basically I think sensitive skin types should stay clear of retin-a. It would do little more than temporarily ruin your lovely little moody epidermis. Pamper your skin, don't scorch it.

#55 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Okay, I think 24? :|? Maybe slightly younger?

I was diagnosed with an adrenal adenoma. Had surgery to remove it and I'm recovering.

I hope your recovery goes well.

#56 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Skötkonung's parents look like in their 40's.

#57 Esoparagon

• 227 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Small and very undetailed photo but I'd say you could be 24.

#58 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

Small and very undetailed photo but I'd say you could be 24.

I wonder what I'm going to look like when I'm 24.....Will I look like an old man?

#59 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

Bad cell phone picture (no flash) of me at 26 and a half years old. You can all over-analyze and tell me 50 bullshit reasons why you think I look my age or older but generally people in real life tell me I look about 20-22. Usually closer to about 20 and sometimes even 19. And most of the people who assume this (without me asking) are generally attractive young females. I'll take their opinion over yours any day of the week. Posted Image

http://i1205.photobu...rries/Again.jpg

#60 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

Oh and be sure to ENLARGE the picture when you click it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users