• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Wellbutrin: Wait, up dosage, add/switch to an SSRI?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

I've been taking 150mg Wellbutrin SR for the past 18 days to deal with slight to moderate depression, low motivation and a somewhat weird case of social anxiety (largely I am shy when going to new situations, can't push for things I want which includes approaching girls and then there is some general anxiety/excessive worrying). The first 5 days were brilliant, good mood, zero anxiety in the background (although no real change in the social situations that provoke it in me) - by now attribute this to a halo effect created by finally doing SOMETHING. After that, results got more mixed, some days I'd feel great, some I'd feel ok and anxiety was not entirely absent anymore. Enjoyable things are definitely still better than before and I am definitely easier to excite if excitement is pushed my way (I think I was suffering of anhedonia before and was almost legendary for not being bothered by most stuff people usually do for fun) but I am too damn lazy to go out and seek for them (I can't even bring myself to book cheap airfare and fly to a beach or something), so about zero effect on energy levels overall.

By now, I feel like its doing very little (maybe aside a rollercoaster between good and mostly bad during the last few days and back to square one on the anxiety). Side-effects, if any, were really mild, slight dry mouth maybe and the usual loss of appetite. I also have zero desire to smoke (wish I could say the same about booze, although I can contain it) but I was never really a smoker anyway. I would occasionally bum smokes when going it but that's it. This is pretty much the reason why I went for Wellbutrin in the first place, the side-effect profile seemed by far the best.

So now I am wondering, should I try doubling the dose (sadly dont have any 75mg pills), wait some more (even though it seems to be getting worse?), push the doc add an SSRI (to deal with the anxiety) or switch to an SSRI outright? As for other options that might work, almost a decade ago, I took Effexor which worked out ok depression wise (also took some benzos in some situations, but I like those damn things too much to dare to go back) but I can't say I want to deal with the side effects again, the weight gain on that was ridiculous and the sexual side effects where kind of besides the point of taking it for shyness in the first place...

Edited by nupi, 01 June 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#2 nupi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

So decided to give 300mg a try. Two XL pills in the morning. First day, after a night with bad sleep I did not notice much (made it through the day alright, crashed in evening at around 20, went to bed at 21 and slept a good 9-10 hours). Next day, I tried again. And the effect was impressive (if not scary): I felt extremely energetic (kinda high, dunno if that is what amphetamines feel like as I never had any) and rushed through 13 hours of straight mental concentration (class, school-work, class, school-work all slammed into one long stretch with barely any breaks except for eating) and after that, I still felt totally energetic so went swimming at 10pm (which is unheard of for me). Needed Melatonin to sleep after that, definitely no crash... The other downside was this slight feeling of a headache but that may have been related to excessive coffee consumption (I love coffee but barely feel caffeine these days so that was not the reason for the energy) as well.

Today I went back to 150mg and it felt like it was doing more (more energy than without, for sure) for me than before but definitely not the extreme levels I had yesterday.

I think I need to convince the doctor to give 50 or 75gm as well so I can go around 200, that sounds like it would be perfect.

I am still wondering how to tackle my weird social anxiety.

Edited by nupi, 08 June 2011 - 01:13 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users