• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New here. Really need help with injury related nerve regeneration!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 john1960

• 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hey everyone. Brand new here.

Ill try to sum this up as best I can. Kind of sensitive info but hey, we are all adults here.. (I hope!)

I sustained an injury to my groin/pelvis about 1 1/2 years ago which resulted in a major loss of sensation mainly in the penis (60-70%). About 8 months ago there was re-aggravation of the injury at the base of penile shaft. The doctors are all pointing towards damage of the peripheral nerves and maybe minor damage to the deeper nerves. I can still get *somewhat* of an erection so there isnt complete loss of function.

To this day hardly any sensation has been recovered. So its close to 2 years and things have basically not showed any signs of recovery. Some docs say it is *possible* that there still may be a chance for some sensation to recover so I want to do EVERYTHING in my power that I can in order to facilitate this.

So my question is, what are the best, most top of the line supplements that can aid in nerve regeneration (stimulation of nerve growth factor, myelin sheath regeneration etc) ? As you can understand this issue is extremely important to me! Thanks for any help.

(if this is not the best place for this post, moderator please re-locate)

edit* forgot to add this is what Im taking :

R-lipoic acid : 300 mg
ALA/ALC- 500/150 mg
b6: 75 mg
b12: 5 mg
Magnesium: 400 mg

Edited by john1960, 08 June 2011 - 07:26 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Unfortunately things look grim for you because
when peripheral nerves get severed they have
the ability to heal very well if the severed ends can connect again with precision
if they connect with less precision they wont function well. i think this might be your condition
i advise you to speak with a good neurosurgeon maybe he has some more insight.

at the supplement side i would try lions mane
and maybe try to get your hands on some nerve growth factors
there is a lot of study which shows peripheral nerve regeneration with a variety of techniques
try to search peripheral nerve damage on pubmed

Edited by Bonee, 08 June 2011 - 08:35 PM.

• Unfriendly x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Robert C

• 155 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

I am absolutely no expert in this area but a monthly vitamin B-12 shot might possibly help as B-12 is important to nerve health. Sometimes it's a difficult vitamin to absorb orally. It wouldn't hurt to make sure you are topped off with it. Getting them more often than monthly is probably overkill.

#4 Lflood

• 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:28 AM

Hate to agree with the others, but the long time since original injury makes it very unlikely you will recover sensation completely.

I suffered a spinal injury that is similar, and the nerves involved, in my case, were L4/L5 and L5/S1. I was ignorant of how much impact the spinal nerves have on the rest of the body. It is profound. Left alone, the more time passes the less likelihood of recovery. Nerve cells CAN regenerate, but it is a tricky process and has to happen very quickly after the initial injury.

#5 john1960

• Topic Starter
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Ok, lemme clarify something here. The nerves were absolutely not severed. Just bruised, but re afflication kept on taking place. But nothing was severed.

I believe if there is a will there is a way, and since my nerves werent severed there has got to be a way to re-ignite their potential. I absolutely refuse to live with a semi-numb penis for the rest of my life.

There has got to be some kind of stem cell re-ignition process out there for somewhat minor peripheral nerve damage..
  • Good Point x 1

#6 Lflood

• 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

There may be, or you might be at the earliest stages of denial.

Your will has nothing to do with what your body is capable of. There are examples, many of them, that seem to refute the idea, but the fact is, once nerve cells pass a certain point, they CANNOT recover.

You may well be at a point before that endgame. If you are, you need to find out very quickly and then do every last thing a qualified expert on neurology tells you to do, to recover function. I do not envy you, at all. This is a difficult area even for the experts.

Make haste, you may not have much time when dealing with nerve cells.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 john1960

• Topic Starter
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

There may be, or you might be at the earliest stages of denial.

Your will has nothing to do with what your body is capable of. There are examples, many of them, that seem to refute the idea, but the fact is, once nerve cells pass a certain point, they CANNOT recover.

You may well be at a point before that endgame. If you are, you need to find out very quickly and then do every last thing a qualified expert on neurology tells you to do, to recover function. I do not envy you, at all. This is a difficult area even for the experts.

Make haste, you may not have much time when dealing with nerve cells.

Flood, if a finger that got severed completely off regrew itself with a pig bladder stem cell matrix( which I might add involves the many nerve endings), then I have a hard time believing that my peripheral nerves cant regrow into certain parts of my penis. Even if the cells are dead, the programming is still there and they ultimately want to recconect with their original positions within the skin. This is my belief. I will still work on contacting a top neurosurgeon though..

#8 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

try some methylcobalamin

#9 tyrant616

• 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:33 AM

I am actually in the same exact problem, but the cause of my nerve damage is unexplained by doctors. Have you had any success? this is destroying my life to be honest. I read a video on cortical remapping that says massage can help create new pathways. I have some kind of degeneration, because I have sensations in my left foot when i Urinate for example from my body trying to make new pathways. It's been about a year for me, has not gotten better, maybe only slightly worse. Is there any hope?

#10 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

Here, read this:

http://nextbigfuture...erves-with.html

http://www.scienceal...0806-22253.html

Edited by manofsan, 26 June 2011 - 05:30 AM.

#11 tyrant616

• 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

Here, read this:

http://nextbigfuture...erves-with.html

http://www.scienceal...0806-22253.html

Thanks for these links. But is there anything I can do now to help repair my nerves?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#12 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

I dunno what to tell you, man. You could try to find all the neuro-tropic growth food substances and health supplements out there, and try them out one by one. Or maybe you could go find one of these overseas clinics that advertises their stem cell treatments, and hope they're not trying to rip you off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users