- - - - -

Hunger makes my depression disappear?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:39 AM

So I had a virus for a couple of day´s and diarrhoea emptied my bowel. The last day my depression, anxiety and fatigue vanished. I felt like a kid again.

So I did a test yesterday which is the day after my depression vanished. I ate only 2 eggs for breakfast and waited the whole day before eating, while fasting I became more alert, focused and it improved my cognition or maybe altered my thinking. I also felt that my muscles relaxed more and were less tense. I made a steak for dinner with some rice and beans. Then all the symptoms came back to me even though fatigue is normal when you eat.

So I did the same today. When I ate the 2 eggs I felt a little depressed but my body was able to process it after awhile. I had a small and light dinner, 3eggs some rice and chickpeas. And of course I felt a bit tired and depressed but then it disappeared.

My theories are.

I cant process food as fast as a normal person. Maybe I have a very slow intestinal movement and shit just keeps piling up or that I have a intestinal obstruction. Maybe I cant break down fibres as well as a normal person does.

Another cause might be that sugars alter our thinking (analytical thinking) due to evolutionary reasons.

Im gonna eat some unhealthy stuff tomorrow too see what happens.

So what do you think guy´s?

#2 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:02 AM

The hunger makes your body focus on more pressing needs than depression?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

So I had a virus for a couple of day´s and diarrhoea emptied my bowel. The last day my depression, anxiety and fatigue vanished. I felt like a kid again.

So I did a test yesterday which is the day after my depression vanished. I ate only 2 eggs for breakfast and waited the whole day before eating, while fasting I became more alert, focused and it improved my cognition or maybe altered my thinking. I also felt that my muscles relaxed more and were less tense. I made a steak for dinner with some rice and beans. Then all the symptoms came back to me even though fatigue is normal when you eat.

So I did the same today. When I ate the 2 eggs I felt a little depressed but my body was able to process it after awhile. I had a small and light dinner, 3eggs some rice and chickpeas. And of course I felt a bit tired and depressed but then it disappeared.

This makes me think allergy. Allergy symptoms and depression symptoms (brain fog...) are hard to tease apart. If you can find any food that doesn't trigger the symptoms, then you could slowly introduce other things and figure out exactly what you can and can't eat.

#4 Radue

• 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

Hunger makes your brain release ghrelin hormone in your bloodstream. It is thought that ghrelin hormone "might help defend against symptoms of stress-induced depression and anxiety".

#5 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Going without food definitely has a positive effect on my mood. I noticed this especially during my intermittent fasting experiment, but also now whenever I have longer breaks from food.

#6 sleepyaswespeak

• 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

Yea I experience the same thing
WHen I eat a lot of shit - aka sugar carbs I feel depressed

eggs with a little sprinkle of cheese/peanut butter = win
For me its lower the carbs, the less depressed I am, thats besides the point that when I love carbs- and I indulge when I have nothing to do/before going to sleep(which is ofcourse bad, but just to kill my craving) or the day I decide Im not going to study.

#7 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

http://www.longecity...-are-happy-mice

Old thread but relevant. There are many factors in play, ghrelin is an interesting one that is receiving research in many different fields.

#8 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

I guess hunger motivates us. Maybe I should try out a new diet.

#9 fql

• 146 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

My theories are.

I cant process food as fast as a normal person. Maybe I have a very slow intestinal movement and shit just keeps piling up or that I have a intestinal obstruction. Maybe I cant break down fibres as well as a normal person does.

Another cause might be that sugars alter our thinking (analytical thinking) due to evolutionary reasons.

Try some metamucil. After you poop when you take it, you'll feel much better. It's very healthy especially if you don't poop at least once a day.

#10 fql

• 146 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

Also this thread reminds me of a fat chick eating the ice cream tub after her boyfriend breaks up with her.

#11 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

My theories are.

Try some metamucil. After you poop when you take it, you'll feel much better. It's very healthy especially if you don't poop at least once a day.

Im not eating too much cholesterol, if you want to poop on regular basis then there are better alternatives.

#12 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Also this thread reminds me of a fat chick eating the ice cream tub after her boyfriend breaks up with her.

But she eats to soothe herself, this is the opposite.

#13 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

Going without food definitely has a positive effect on my mood. I noticed this especially during my intermittent fasting experiment, but also now whenever I have longer breaks from food.

Hmm, interesting stuff.

http://www.leangains...ains-guide.html

Could you explain a bit more about it?

#14 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

Yea I experience the same thing
WHen I eat a lot of shit - aka sugar carbs I feel depressed

eggs with a little sprinkle of cheese/peanut butter = win
For me its lower the carbs, the less depressed I am, thats besides the point that when I love carbs- and I indulge when I have nothing to do/before going to sleep(which is ofcourse bad, but just to kill my craving) or the day I decide Im not going to study.

Well that´s the problem, when it comes to food it could be a lot of factors. People respond differently to different kind of foods. It´s hard to tell.

http://www.drgangemi...lerancetwoweek/

#15 enfield

• 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:41 AM

The hormone might help defend against symptoms of stress-induced depression and anxiety.[26] To test whether ghrelin could regulate depressive symptoms brought on by chronic stress, the researchers subjected mice to daily bouts of social stress, using a standard laboratory technique that induces stress by exposing normal mice to very aggressive “bully” mice. Such animals have been shown to be good models for studying depression in humans. The researchers stressed both wild-type mice and altered mice that were unable to respond to ghrelin. They found that, after experiencing stress, both types of mice had significantly elevated levels of ghrelin that persisted at least four weeks after their last defeat encounter. The altered mice, however, displayed significantly greater social avoidance than their wild-type counterparts, indicating an exacerbation of depression-like symptoms. They also ate less than the wild-type mice.

When I read this I always thought that maybe the explanation was simply that elevating ghrelin was just an efficient way to distract the mouse from its social woes, maybe, by making it extra hungry (a mouse can only focus on so many things at once).

It's interesting that you are experiencing relief from of the same sort of things the mice did, with increased levels of ghrelin, considering your a human, for whom increased hunger probably wouldn't be an adequate solution. It suggests that maybe it isn't for the mice either - that probably the grehlin is doing other interesting things in addition to making the organism more hungry.

Edited by enfield, 11 June 2011 - 12:42 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:22 AM

Well it´s a new diet for me at least, I just need to learn the basics and adapt them to my system.

I need to learn everything about fasting and hunger diets without loosing muscles so any help would be appreciated.

My theory is....

I think that hunger promotes self prioritized thinking and concrete thinking, the aggressive kind of going things about. We live in a cruel competitive world working egoistically.

Sugars promote abundance kind of thinking, de prioritizing the self and maybe abstract thinking the passive way to go things about. We live in a abundant world working for each-other.

http://www.projectle...t_thinking.html
http://www.wisegeek....ct-thinking.htm

And here comes the scary part.
http://www.scienceag...trunc_sys.shtml
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17374682
http://www.enotalone...ticle/3249.html
http://news.bioschol...discovered.html
http://insciences.or...article_id=9904

Now science can not ever be determinate, but it can give us a rough image. It seems that our ancestors went through some rough times and maybe somewhere down the line a gene was passed on through when we were struggling. The aggressive kind one won but slowly we built another kind of world, preferably we just mated.

Now if I have the gene then....

Resveratrol or Wine Rx in a fasting diet combined with a work out routine and also hormone supplementation (hgh+testo) when going older could be something. Even though it is hard to tell when you should initiate with hormones, Im 28. Dammit, Im old and drunk because of my damn 18 year old cousin finishing high- school today and her stupid party. Boy is she enjoying life, wish I was 18 again. Thank you, and good night!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users