Photo
- - - - -

Treating Allergy Fatigue and Memory Loss with Nootropics

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TC1988

• 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:40 AM

Hello all this is my first post. For the last three years I’ve suffered from extreme fatigue from my allergy to dust mites. I noticed this when I started to lose my memory and my ability to process information slowly but surely. My daily routines would be wake up at 7AM, work until 5PM come home then sleep.

For many months I ate properly and exercised religiously but noticed no improvement. I then treated the memory loss with Nootropics and have definitely improved. I thank everyone here for that. Now I'm trying to treat the fatigue portion of it. So far I've tried:

-Caffeine 250mg-700mg (always tired/asleep by 8pm)
-Piracetam (up to 12g three times a day) with Caffeine (up to 700mg) daily (always tired/asleep by 8pm)
-Piracetam with Allergy medications (passed out for 24+ hours)
-Sulbutiamine 600mg-1g (great for instant energy but I crash too fast and sometimes don’t even feel like I took anything)
-Reishi Extract (made me feel dazed)
-I am now in the middle of testing Phentermine

If anyone is suffering from this or is interested in this thread I am compiling a spreadsheet with detailed notes with combinations I’ve tried.
ANY INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:10 AM

I'm allergic to dust mites, and the fatigue and spaciness finally was enough to compel me to contact an allergist. After testing, I eventually was put on a high-dose immunotherapy regimen. This consisted of weekly injections of dust mite antigen. Once I got up to a sufficiently high dose (it's increased gradually), the effect was life-changing. I was finally clear headed and could throw away my daily antihistamine/decongestant. I don't mean to deter you from finding other solutions, but if you know what you're allergic to, you can always give shots a try. Dust mites can also be stopped at the source. The best way to do this would probably be to move to the desert. Otherwise, keep your house clean and dry, and use mite-proof enclosures for your mattress and pillow.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TC1988

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

I'm allergic to dust mites, and the fatigue and spaciness finally was enough to compel me to contact an allergist. After testing, I eventually was put on a high-dose immunotherapy regimen. This consisted of weekly injections of dust mite antigen. Once I got up to a sufficiently high dose (it's increased gradually), the effect was life-changing. I was finally clear headed and could throw away my daily antihistamine/decongestant. I don't mean to deter you from finding other solutions, but if you know what you're allergic to, you can always give shots a try. Dust mites can also be stopped at the source. The best way to do this would probably be to move to the desert. Otherwise, keep your house clean and dry, and use mite-proof enclosures for your mattress and pillow.

Niner I took a years worth of high dose immunotherapy as well. I reached "maintenance" and barely noticed anything. I spoke with the allergist about it and his response was simply "It works for some but not others. It's a 50/50 chance". Do you still have to keep getting the shots to receive the benefits? I know it's all about controlling your environment but in places like work and school I am unable to. At home I just use a high grade HEPA filter (Honeywell 50250-N) and it works wonders.

#4 kache

• 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

I am allergic too, and I suffer a lot in spring and summer.
I am on piracetam now, but I don't feel improvement in the fatigue caused by the allergy.
Nor my brain works better, sadly.

#5 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

This may sound like a dumb question, but do you drink enough water? Histamine is a hydration technique used by dehydrated cells. Over the course of a month, see if an increase in water intake helps.
  • like x 1

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

Niner I took a years worth of high dose immunotherapy as well. I reached "maintenance" and barely noticed anything. I spoke with the allergist about it and his response was simply "It works for some but not others. It's a 50/50 chance". Do you still have to keep getting the shots to receive the benefits? I know it's all about controlling your environment but in places like work and school I am unable to. At home I just use a high grade HEPA filter (Honeywell 50250-N) and it works wonders.

I've been getting shots for a looong time; close to twenty years I think. At first I wasn't getting the response we were looking for, and my doctor jacked up the dose pretty high. That is what seemed to do the trick. I didn't have a very big reaction to the dust mite antigen on the skin test, so it probably looked like I wasn't that allergic. I think I ended up getting a much larger dose than I "should" have needed; all I can say is that it worked. I have found that I can stop the shots for a pretty long time and not notice a problem. The longest I went without shots was a summer. The shots have made a remarkable difference in that my head and my nose are normally clear. If I get a heavy dust exposure, like cleaning a dusty room, I will still feel bad from it. If I wear a mask, I can avoid that. I try to keep a supply of good masks on hand, use a decent filter in my central A/C system, and have an air purifier in my bedroom. The air purifier (a Rabbit Air BioGS) isn't necessary to feel good; I got it on the general principle that the fewer particulates and antigens you breathe, the better.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 kache

• 45 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

This may sound like a dumb question, but do you drink enough water? Histamine is a hydration technique used by dehydrated cells. Over the course of a month, see if an increase in water intake helps.

Gonna try this.
I've been eating mostly meat in the last months, and I've been told by the medic to drink more water, but didn't really comply.
I'm curious to see if it's really a water deficiency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users