Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Cavity not showing up on x-ray?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

I had a tooth ache so went to the dentist. They did an x-ray and no cavity or anything abnormal was noted with the tooth. The dentist then looked in my mouth then said "there's root showing but it didn't come up on the x-ray" then proceeded to start drilling that tooth. This was a horible experience plus three weeks later that tooth is still throbbing and I can't eat anything on that side of my mouth.

The worrisome thing I'm wondering is if he could have distroyed a healthy tooth just for money, instead of a simple check-up billed to my insurance? Is it possible to have a cavity that doesn't come up on an x-ray?

Edited by Iosif, 06 July 2011 - 12:44 PM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

I had a tooth ache so went to the dentist. They did an x-ray and no cavity or anything abnormal was noted with the tooth. The dentist then looked in my mouth then said "there's root showing but it didn't come up on the x-ray" then proceeded to start drilling that tooth. This was a horible experience plus three weeks later that tooth is still throbbing and I can't eat anything on that side of my mouth.

The worrisome thing I'm wondering is if he could have distroyed a healthy tooth just for money, instead of a simple check-up billed to my insurance? Is it possible to have a cavity that doesn't come up on an x-ray?

If there is root exposed, that could be responsible for some sensitivity, even pain I suppose. When you say he proceeded to start drilling on that tooth, did he fill it? Was he trying to place a filling in the exposed root area? That sounds like something that wouldn't work very well, although I'm not a dentist. If the tooth is throbbing, it sounds like something is distinctly amiss. Maybe you should find a new dentist and get it checked out again. There are some bad dentists out there; I had a couple before I found a guy who's good but expensive. Your dentist probably didn't knowingly destroy your tooth just to make a few bucks. He probably thought he was doing the right thing, but might have screwed up. I hope it turns out ok.
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users