Photo

Success!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

I read some typical "life extension/biotechnology is teh evil" drivel in my local newspaper and it annoyed me enough to write a response from the other side of the fence. I wrotre in and got my letter published in a popular local newspaper! :-D Well over 10,000 people in my town alone so if a good chunk of them buy said paper, many more will hopefully start questioning life extension etc.

http://imageshack.us...5/clipping.jpg/
  • like x 3

#2 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

I read some typical "life extension/biotechnology is teh evil" drivel in my local newspaper and it annoyed me enough to write a response from the other side of the fence. I wrotre in and got my letter published in a popular local newspaper! :-D Well over 10,000 people in my town alone so if a good chunk of them buy said paper, many more will hopefully start questioning life extension etc.

http://imageshack.us...5/clipping.jpg/

Job well done! I think we should all write to our local paper about life extension and other areas of biotechnology.

#3 Droplet

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:50 AM

Job well done! I think we should all write to our local paper about life extension and other areas of biotechnology.

Yes and not just local paper...what about nationals? What about politicians who make the rules? I for one am considering it.
  • like x 1

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

I think the whole rebuttal reads well and does a great job in spreading the message well. I particularly like this line:

“The author does not see the point of isolatingaging in mice and trying to treat it. What he is saying is that is perfectlyfine for people to suffer slow undignified ends when we could do somethingabout it.“

It seems that is exactly what people that say things like that are saying.

Furthermore, it seems to me that most people arent saying things like that on purpose, but because they are being goaded into devils advocates approaches (and for a few other reasons). The guide to getting through to the skeptics, fence sitters, uninformed and pro aging trancists goes over ways of getting around that.

There are a variety of ways around it, one is to simply inform them with out giving trigger words, natural "in's" for them to give their opinion.

Another is to approach it by asking them their opinion with out giving your own first. If you express your own opinion up front, then if the person hasnt really thought about it to much yet, what will happen is many more times than not they will choose the devils advocate role, the "But if! And!@ But!?" role. I have been using the following lately, I ask, "What do you think about indefinite life extension? For, against, somewhere in the middle?" I find that I am not deluged with if's and's and but's. I find that I get a half and half response, which is good returns when it comes to collecting more support for the cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users