- - - - -

Longecity team: rosetta@home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

http://boinc.bakerla...hp?teamid=11320

If anyone has better ideas for the description, feel free to post here.

I'm the only active member, and I'm lonely! If you prefer rosetta@home's research aims, and thus do not fold for folding@home, feel free to join me. If you don't care, its more important to keep Longevitymeme in the top 100 (my PS3 folds for Longevitymeme) at folding@home.

I'm a big fan of distributed computing, so unless I get kidnapped by aliens the team should not go defunct. It will always have at least one member.

You know, I just realized I never liked the immortality institute byline, ie "conquer the blight of involuntary death". Not sure why. Its definitely descriptive. Guess I don't like the terms "conquer" and "blight". Still put it in the description though, as its the official byline.

- Tracy

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Its best to get it in coordination with us so we dont create more than one and so we can work the wording out right away, but this is good. If there is a way to change the generic url ending to "longecity" then can you do that? No capitals so people are more likely to get the letters right in case its case sensitive. The byline fits well, and I think that we will be glad to have that bolder sort of description when the cause starts to pick up more support, but in the mean time I know what you mean and its hard to use for me too. I hardly ever use it, but instead use "Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans". I dont prefer that one either, but hey, we cant split hairs forever. We all prefer something slightly different.

That reminds me of a part of the movie Transcendent Man, I watched it on the 3rd, and Kurzweil said he doesnt like the names artificial intelligence, transcendent, or Transhumanism. I wouldnt disagree with him, but I was under the impression that those were accepted terms. I disagree with them for the same reasons. He, and some of the others said that artificial is misleading, that its real intelligence, and more like prosthetic intelligence. He said that its not really about transcending, that its about the natural progress of people, that we are still the same people, just continuously a little more advanced.

#3 thughes

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

There's no control I've found to change the generic team id (and a brief survey of top teams hasn't shown any with a non-generic tag).

Search is case insensitive, but do you want me to drop the capital "c" from the official team name anyways?

I can add team admins... I can also transfer foundership (if you want that held by longecity leadership), but someone has to join for me to do that.

- Tracy

#4 thughes

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

I'd like to see the rosetta@home team added here:

http://www.longecity...rd-the-goal-r14

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

I'd like to see the rosetta@home team added here:

http://www.longecity...rd-the-goal-r14

Can you create a topic that goes over signing up for Rosetta? Spruce it up, make it a direct sign up topic, maybe add a "join" button or something like that. Since we cant apparently have a unique url, then a button with the team name on it might help in that way.

Do you want to be the go to for the distributed computing then? Just do anything to help the team at least one time per month and we'll go from there. If you want to lead it it will help us in that we can leave control of rosetta with you, and it will be faster to get things seconded. Then I can second the Rosetta sign up topic and put it into the TakeAction page.

#6 thughes

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

Sure I can do that.

I'll do up a "how to sign up" post, which you can sticky in this forum as well.

- Tracy

#7 thughes

• Topic Starter
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Here's the sign up info:

Rosetta@home is located here:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/

On the front page, there is a "Join rosetta@home" link at the top of the left hand column. Follow this link for detailed instructions on setting up rosetta@home.

To join the Longecity team, follow the "teams" link under "Returning participants" on the left hand column, and search for "Longecity". Follow the resulting link to the LongeCity team page and click "join this team". You will only see this link if you do not already belong to a team.

Guess I better also make this a separate post so it can be stickied...

Edited by thughes, 08 September 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#8 mikeb80

• 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

I installed on my laptop the BOINC Manager... and I set it this way:
after 5 minutes of keyboard/mouse inactivity, instead to run some useless screen saver, it starts and runs the Rosetta@HOME application.
Distributed computing is a very useful way to help scientific research. :) More people will join, faster will be the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users