* * * * * 2 votes

Good Resources for Chinese Medicine

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

Me too. I eat Whole Foods Brand eggs, those are good. I also eat full fat Stoneyfield yogurt or Brown Cow Yogurt. Fresh wild finned fish in good condition is a good option for me. Shellfish have cholesterol. Those are good. Naturally raised lamb is another good option. Quality smoked salmon is another. As I said, I can eat a little ProFoods frozen coconut milk. Maybe you could special order it. You can add it to to some almond milk. Homemake almond milk might have more fats than the store bought brand but I use Blue Diamond. They also have a coconut almond milk. As you know, not eating cold food makes it more digestible. If you can get good fresh raw or seared Ahi (Tuna) that would be a good choice but I read once that they freeze the stuff in New York City for "safety" reasons. Tell that to the Japanese and Pacific Islanders who have eaten raw Tuna for centuries. Also, maybe raw hemp seeds for omega 3's? Macadamia nuts have saturated fats but I can't really digest them.

Me too. I eat Whole Foods Brand eggs, those are good. I also eat full fat Stoneyfield yogurt or Brown Cow Yogurt. Fresh wild finned fish in good condition is a good option for me. Shellfish have cholesterol. Those are good. Naturally raised lamb is another good option. Quality smoked salmon is another. As I said, I can eat a little ProFoods frozen coconut milk. Maybe you could special order it. You can add it to to some almond milk. Homemake almond milk might have more fats than the store bought brand but I use Blue Diamond. They also have a coconut almond milk. As you know, not eating cold food makes it more digestible. If you can get good fresh raw or seared Ahi (Tuna) that would be a good choice but I read once that they freeze the stuff in New York City for "safety" reasons. Tell that to the Japanese and Pacific Islanders who have eaten raw Tuna for centuries. Also, maybe raw hemp seeds for omega 3's? Macadamia nuts have saturated fats but I can't really digest them.

I haven't found any extracted vegetable oils that don't make my skin break out, so I never take them for health. I use a minimal amount for cooking. There are also basically no oils I can put on my skin.

Edited by Luminosity, 23 February 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#32 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

Sorry I'm so late replying! Been going through a medical maze with some swollen glands that I have had over a year now - and my gallbladder has been on the fritz again and I've had to really cut back on my fats to give it a break. That coconut oil really did a number.

I can't eat eggs (my biggest gallbladder attack trigger), can't eat seafood (or fish oils) because it gives me joint pain (that I believe is a gallbladder thing too). I am eating alot of nuts, seeds & flaxseed.

I went to see my dr. today to get the results of my blood tests. My triglycerides were almost 100 points higher than in December! I'm suspecting the coconut oil for that big jump. Proof it really isn't good for some of us. My triglycerides are really hitting the super duper danger zone. I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place because I can't go too low on carbs because of hypoglycemia, and I can't obviously do fats. The saturated fats are what keep my blood sugar on an even keel, so the carbs have to be higher because of that exclusion in my diet. I've already cut down on carbs as much as I can, and eat almost no sugar now. The triglycerides is definately a genetic thing. My father & all my siblings have had the same problem. I'm about to go on meds for cholesterol (not statins, but a bile acid sequester - just to see if my gallbladder problems are more bile reflux ) and start taking Vit E Tocotrienol faithfully to see if I can get the trigs down. I'm not willing to go on statins at all.

Edited by Clarity, 06 March 2013 - 05:01 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

Sorry you've been dealing with all that. Too bad you can't eat eggs and seafoods. I'm glad you aren't going on statins. Not sure what the other medicine is. Personally, I'd just find the best acupuncurist around and use them for this. Not a fan of western medicine.

I thought there were plenty of natural remedies to help bring blood fats down?

Guess you are aware of all the animal foods/dairy you can eat so far. The wilder, more organic, more green fed, or hormone free they are the more tolerable they are to some people. The rawer the dairy is the more tolerable it is to some.

These are EFA's, not saturated fats, but purslane, a formerly wild green, is very high in EFA's. So is mache (pronounced mosh) another green, and probably sunflower sprouts. I've seen all of these in Whole Foods. You could probably grow purslane, but it might become invasive. You pinch off the rosettes and eat it raw.

Maybe you can find some exotic or ethnic foods that you haven't heard of yet.

Artisana Cashew Butter is very good but very expensive. For me, generally, most nuts are rancid except for Diamond Brand (Blue Diamond?) You probably know more about it than me.

Personally, I'm dealing with some cystic acne because I apparently ate too much organic goat cheese, and too much organic whole wheat nut and seed bread. It seemed healthy at the time.

#34 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'm thinking the swollen lymph nodes are a sluggish lymph system. It started after a very aggressive thyroid ultrasound. It was 30 min. with a trainee rolling away very hard on my neck. She really messed me up. I was driving home & my throat actually felt like it was closing up. Since then I've had the node swelling & shooting pain from that area into my clavicle. But I've got some things in my blood work that make me a little nervous and I have to keep an eye on for changes. I had to actually get an MRI to even see the swollen nodes.

The medicine is a "bile sequester", which is a resin that binds bile. I guess much like chia seeds. I think it creates a gelatinous substance. It doesn't absorb systemically or in the bloodstream, so it's not a traditional rx. I started using slippery elm, and that has helped my rib pain & "reflux" symptoms. I don't know why I never was turned onto this. It does much the same thing as the rx he gave me, but I'm finding it's not helping my nighttime reflux. So I may just take the rx at bedtime in a small dose. The point of it was to kill two birds with one stone. If it was bile reflux I'm experiencing (and I'm almost positive now it is as opposed to GERD), and to address the cholesterol/trigs. However, with further research I found it apparently can cause a 10% increase in triglycerides. So I'm going to do it at night for the reflux and just do the Tocotrienols. I bought niacin too, but I kind of feel after 3 days of taking toco-sorb that it's almost working too well. I'm getting side effects. So I'll probably skip the niacin and take the tocosorb 2 days on/1 day off and see how my lipids come back. My cholesterol actually stays pretty stable and I'm not really too concerned about that. The triglycerides I worry about.

It's funny that I've been dealing with a cracked tongue for years, and my acupuncturists were claiming it was excess heat. Which didn't make sense, because I've been treated successfully at times for that, and the cracks never went away. This morning I realized it's probably from the reflux! And I was blaming tongue pain on possibly a B deficiency of some kind...and it too is probably from the reflux.

I'll look into those greens. I have to be careful with raw foods, as well as concentrated green supplements - usually causes dampness for me. I do eat a large bowl of greens each day though. I do eat alot of almonds. I didn't know about the rancidity of most nuts. I usually buy roasted almonds. Not sure if that's good or bad. I also eat pecans or hazelnuts on my cereal every day. I have to remember to start refrigerating them.

I wish I had access to raw milk, and even organic meat. There's nothing local. I have to drive pretty far to get that.

For the acne - have you tried cold pressed castor oil ? I know it seems counterintuitive, but castor oil topically is great to get rid of cystic acne. It shouldn't cause any rashes at all, especially if you put some baking soda & water on the area after using. Just coat the acne with some castor oil, and apply a little heat, and the acne should reabsorb.

#35 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

I haven't tried castor oil. So far no oil does anything but make it worse in spite of many claims to the contrary.

As you know, you have to let raw greens come to room temperature. Taking some soup or hot tea with them helps balance the coldness. Organic products are not strictly necessary for most people, especially if they are too hard to get.

As far as nuts, they are rancid when I buy them except for the one brand, and a few miscellaneous products.

Maybe that technician injured your lymph node. If so, leaving it alone would help. Most of your symptoms, medicines and problems are beyond my experience. I understand you want to keep your eyes on things and I can guess why. As you can see, every test or treatment by western medicine can have a downside, can be invasive or destructive, or lead to side effects, which may lead to more medication, which may lead to more problems . . .

You sound like an intelligent person and I'm sure you know a lot more about your situation than I do. I hope it all turns out well.

Edited by Luminosity, 11 March 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#36 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

I agree - I think the technician damaged something. Maybe a lymph vessel because there are multiple swollen lymph nodes, including not in that area. Nobody wants to of course point the finger at anyone else. In fact, my endoc. went so far as to sending me a letter saying my MRI showed a small thyroid nodule (which was incorrect due to 2 folllow up u/s's), and then I asked the Radiology center to send me the actual report - and it said the thyroid nodule was not seen, and there were multiple swollen lymph nodes. Very weird. The radiology center is right next door to the endoc. I left that endoc after that, but she's the one who insisted on a thyroid u/s yearly for no particular reason.

I've been using a chinese formula for sciata (zuo gu shen jing tong wan) which coincidentally got rid of the lymph node pain (for now)...and I was able to walk on treadmill for an hour (with a alot of stop/starting but is still huge progress for my back problems).

I always let fruits & vegs go to room temp. I just figured it made sense to get it as warm as possible. I'm not really that fond of cooked vegetables at all. I had wondered whether taking in warm fluids at the same time as eating raw would reduce the cold energy of raw. Thanks for the confirmation - I will incorporate that.

As for the castor oil, it actually helps move the lymph system, so it should have the opposite effect of other oils. I also started doing dry brushing, and drinking diluted cranberry which also are alleged to do the same thing.

Thanks for your well wishes & insights Luminosity. :)

#37 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I saw this article today and thought I should post it here. "Needle This: Study Hints at how Acupuncture works to relieve stress" Reported in the Journal of Endocrinology:

http://healthland.ti...gle Feedfetcher

And Luminosity, I thought you'd find this interesting. It's a face chart (like tongue diagnosis) which shows where acne, etc. show up on the face and it's corresponding internal health issue: http://hellodollface...-where-they-do/

I had one little cystic acne swelling the other day. My stomach was acting up a little (I ate a couple of eggs - testing the waters so to speak) and it was exactly in the spot on the chart for the stomach.

I also wanted to add that I decided not to take the rx, and I've been taking slippery elm lozenges for my stomach issues. I can't believe how well it works and wish I found it a long time ago. I feel so much better all around, and I think anyone with gastic issues or leaky gut should give it a try. In chinese medicine it is also used for Lung Yin Deficiency.

Edited by Clarity, 15 March 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#38 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

They have slippery elm lozenges in the health food store for sore throats. It's good for that too. Glad you are feeling better.

According to the chart the pimples were in the stomach and hormonal/gynecological areas but it was organic goat cheese? I think I just couldn't break down all that whole graininess and all that goatiness at one time. It wasn't my usual brand of goat cheese either. It was Mont Chevre and I usually eat Laura Chanel or Whole Foods Brand.

Leaving that doctor sounds like a good decision. I'm afraid I don't know what a u/s is however. Yeah, I had an MRI and wasn't sent the report even though I asked. I finally made them send it to me and and it turns out that the doctor ordered the MRI wrong, making it useless, according to the report. The doctor simply told me that the MRI didn't show anything. That doctor used to be the best one in his area but after decades of practicing, had apparently become an alcoholic. He had left some things off the X-Ray requisition slip but I had checked on that and had it corrected. The MRI requisition was simple, both ankles, without contrast, so I thought I didn't have to check. Turns out he added another area that had an old problem without telling me. And, because of covering such a large area, the test was not conclusive and therefore useless. That's one reason I went wholistic. Theoretically things like images and scans can be so very precise but in reality you can have a clown school situation. If you can't get copies of a report, suspect something. It's a good idea to always get copies of your lab reports, radiology reports, tests, and medical records to double check stuff, but that gets exhausting so . . . I went wholistic. Seriously if anyone is using Western medicine, get copies of all these things and look them over. If you doctor has ordered any imaging or other extensive tests, call the ones doing it and ask what is on the requisition slip. See if it sound right.

Edited by Luminosity, 17 March 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#39 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I've got a question that's been pestering me for a while. We know that chinese medicine has a lot of benefits to it some of which are just being discovered by western doctors; how come with all the herbs and plant preparations the number one cause of death in China is cancer?

#40 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

They have slippery elm lozenges in the health food store for sore throats. It's good for that too. Glad you are feeling better.

According to the chart the pimples were in the stomach and hormonal/gynecological areas but it was organic goat cheese? I think I just couldn't break down all that whole graininess and all that goatiness at one time. It wasn't my usual brand of goat cheese either. It was Mont Chevre and I usually eat Laura Chanel or Whole Foods Brand.

Leaving that doctor sounds like a good decision. I'm afraid I don't know what a u/s is however. Yeah, I had an MRI and wasn't sent the report even though I asked. I finally made them send it to me and and it turns out that the doctor ordered the MRI wrong, making it useless, according to the report. The doctor simply told me that the MRI didn't show anything. That doctor used to be the best one in his area but after decades of practicing, had apparently become an alcoholic. He had left some things off the X-Ray requisition slip but I had checked on that and had it corrected. The MRI requisition was simple, both ankles, without contrast, so I thought I didn't have to check. Turns out he added another area that had an old problem without telling me. And, because of covering such a large area, the test was not conclusive and therefore useless. That's one reason I went wholistic. Theoretically things like images and scans can be so very precise but in reality you can have a clown school situation. If you can't get copies of a report, suspect something. It's a good idea to always get copies of your lab reports, radiology reports, tests, and medical records to double check stuff, but that gets exhausting so . . . I went wholistic. Seriously if anyone is using Western medicine, get copies of all these things and look them over. If you doctor has ordered any imaging or other extensive tests, call the ones doing it and ask what is on the requisition slip. See if it sound right.

Sorry I'm late in replying again...sounds like that goat cheese may have been too much goatiness indeed, lol.

I hear you about western medicine & tests. I guess an xray, etc. is only as good as the radiologist. U/S is ultrasound - sorry for the confusion. I do have no choice but to get MRI's periodically because I have a pituitary tumor, but I stay away from cat scans. I figured ultrasounds were harmless, and in my instance it certainly was not.

I too have had problems with contrasts in MRI's, and the drinkable contrast for CT scans. I won't do them anymore. (unless we're talking a deadly illness like cancer). I was doubled over from the CT contrast 2 times, and the radiologist said to me "hmm, never heard of that reaction"...as if it's harmless. Look up the s/e of those contrasts and they certainly are not.

Honestly, I don't have much trust in doctors but for some things you are at their mercy. And what is up with dr.s and addiction? I had my GP recently sell off his practice with one days notice, and leave the state. Word is he was an oxycodone (sp?) pusher...he was a Osteopath for God's sake! I thought he was holistically minded and I was very wrong. He started out as a good doc, and there are horrible ratings online for him for the past year. His blog online looks like he lost his mind. My mom found out one of her doctors up and left due to alcholism too. It's scary. But speaking of holistic doctors, I've gone to another holistic doc, and he offered me nothing holistic. I also went to a naturopath, and he was a quack. Came up from behind me, and stabbed me with a lancet in the finger without advanced warning, and then said he was sending it to a lab. Charged me $200 just for that, $300 for the appt., (insurance did not cover any of this) then wanted me to do a saliva brain chemical test for another $200. From what I understand, brain chemical testing is not accurate. It's just a momentary snapshot, if that. I never went back.

I get copies of EVERY test. I trust no one. I've had nurses give me incorrect results over the phone many times or doctors completely missing something that was off. One time I was told on phone I was hypothyroid. It was my D that was low. When I went into the doctor, he went by their notes, instead of looking at the actual lab test report. He would probably have given my thyroid meds without looking, if I hadn't caught it.

I've got a question that's been pestering me for a while. We know that chinese medicine has a lot of benefits to it some of which are just being discovered by western doctors; how come with all the herbs and plant preparations the number one cause of death in China is cancer?

I'm thinking that China is a toxic wasteland: http://grist.org/pol...death-in-china/

No amount of chinese medicine can probably compensate for that. All those reports of melamine in dog food and other products...I believe baby formula? And no doubt there is a problem with heavy metals in chinese formulas themselves. That's why I will only buy 2-3 brands I know are tested for impurities.

Edited by Clarity, 27 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#41 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

There is so much pollution in China that sometimes they cannot even see through the coal smoke. The men smoke like chimneys. They are careless with the safety of their food and consumer products. Chinese medicine is the only reason they live as long as they do.

#42 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

To Clarity:

Sorry to hear about the pituitary issue.

Contrast dyes are radioactive. It has certainly caused a lot of problems. They are such liars.

Sorry about your experiences with doctors and wholistic doctors. It's so bad it's almost funny. A doctor I dealt with is doing life in federal prison right now, an MD. It also seems that medical personnel are making more grade school levels errors these days. I don't remember this when I was young. That's why I treat myself. Glad you get your test results. I'd be happy to help you all I can. I promise not to stab you with a lancet.

One possibility is to treat the pituitary issue with diet and lifestyle, Chinese herbs and acupuncture and not keep looking at it with images. If you get the very best practioner you can find, they can likely tell what is going on inside your body.

I basically just apply this principle to whatever my area of concern is and forgo the Western stuff.

To that end, if you wanted to tell me more about your health, diet and lifestyle, I could look for anything that might cause problems or that could be improved. I noticed that you said you eat raw greens every day. If you only eat this and no cooked veggies, in Chinese medicine this would likely cause an overabundance of yin. You seemed to have some health problems that might also be associated with an overabundance of yin. This is more true because you live if what is usually a cold climate. If you can started eating a cooked veggie each day, it would help. Steamed leafy greens are especially healthy. If convenience is the issue, Woodstock Farms frozen loose leaf spinach is easy. Some Chinese restaurants will steam their veggies for you. Without heat, some vital nutrients in the veggies are not available. If you can eat a steamed green vegetable every day, you will likely be stronger and have fewer health problems. If you want to tell me more in as much detail as possible I can tell you what I think. You can message me if you prefer. If you don't want to do this, that's fine too.

Edited by Luminosity, 28 March 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#43 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Here's someting scottknl posted on another thread about where to buy Chinese medicines. Hope it's ok to repost it. Haven't tried these places myself.

http://www.yelp.com/...an-dong-seattle
The guys running this little store are great at supplying herbs at reasonable prices. They give the right herbs and good advice too.
This is where I go when I run out of supplies direct from China. He shou wu should be around $8 for a 1 lbs box of prepared root. I used this as my sole source for about 3 years. I live close by, so I haven't asked them about shipping, but I think they will do that if you ask and pay ahead of time.

Once a year my wife goes to Beijing to their top quality store "Tong Ren Tang" and brings home most of a year's supply [of He Shou Wu?] for me. She claims that the quality is first rate, but I can't really tell the difference between the "good stuff" and the normal stuff I buy from the new-an-dong market.
Here's their Aussie branch website:
http://www.tongrentang.com.au/

There are numerous herb stores in
http://www.cidbia.or...-directory/herb
downtown Seattle and sometimes we shop around to get the same brands at different prices.

They don't have much on their web sites, so I think you just have to call and find out if they'll ship it to you.

#44 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

Total Health the Chinese Way by Esther Ting PhD is the second most accessible book I've seen on Chinese medicine. It is worth reading.

Dr. Ting is an acupuncturist: Here's a link to her Yelp page:

http://www.yelp.com/...er-santa-monica

It's troubling that according to the posters, she told one of them that they were ill because they didn't pray to God. She told another to pray. If I was a practitioner, I wouldn't do that. Dr. Ting was voted "Best Acupuncturist by" LA Magazine. She is in her seventies. I don't know if she is still practicing but the center she started may be operating anyway.

Contact Info from Yelp:

Ting's Healing Center
2121 Cloverfield Blvd
Suite 133
Santa, Monica, CA 90404
310 315-0455

Contact Info from another website:

Ting's Healing Center
2448 Cloverfield Boulevard,
Santa Monica, California 90405
310-315-0455

The book isn't religiously oriented, and is worth looking at.

Edited by Luminosity, 15 April 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#45 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

In french all books by Philippe Sionneau http://www.amazon.fr...ilippe Sionneau (also available in spanish I think as he now pratices in SPain)
He s also got some in english http://www.amazon.co...t_athr_dp_pel_1
His website http://sionneau.com/
An interview in english http://www.acupunctu...p/09carter.html

#46 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

To Clarity:

Sorry to hear about the pituitary issue.

Contrast dyes are radioactive. It has certainly caused a lot of problems. They are such liars.

Sorry about your experiences with doctors and wholistic doctors. It's so bad it's almost funny. A doctor I dealt with is doing life in federal prison right now, an MD. It also seems that medical personnel are making more grade school levels errors these days. I don't remember this when I was young. That's why I treat myself. Glad you get your test results. I'd be happy to help you all I can. I promise not to stab you with a lancet.

One possibility is to treat the pituitary issue with diet and lifestyle, Chinese herbs and acupuncture and not keep looking at it with images. If you get the very best practioner you can find, they can likely tell what is going on inside your body.

I basically just apply this principle to whatever my area of concern is and forgo the Western stuff.

To that end, if you wanted to tell me more about your health, diet and lifestyle, I could look for anything that might cause problems or that could be improved. I noticed that you said you eat raw greens every day. If you only eat this and no cooked veggies, in Chinese medicine this would likely cause an overabundance of yin. You seemed to have some health problems that might also be associated with an overabundance of yin. This is more true because you live if what is usually a cold climate. If you can started eating a cooked veggie each day, it would help. Steamed leafy greens are especially healthy. If convenience is the issue, Woodstock Farms frozen loose leaf spinach is easy. Some Chinese restaurants will steam their veggies for you. Without heat, some vital nutrients in the veggies are not available. If you can eat a steamed green vegetable every day, you will likely be stronger and have fewer health problems. If you want to tell me more in as much detail as possible I can tell you what I think. You can message me if you prefer. If you don't want to do this, that's fine too.

I'm back...as usual I'm not keeping up with your responses in a timely matter...sorry! Been playing around with some formulas and finally have them worked out. I'm doing well physically, but as usual using a liver qi stag. formula is bringing some emotional strife to the surface as well as fatigue. I've got to learn to take it slower but I'm always trying to push things to quicken results. Let me just say that "Free and Easy Wanderer Plus" is working awesome for gallbladder/digestion issues and that reflux - whether it was GERD or bile reflux. It is simply amazing. I actually bought a version of it from an acu place online, not knowing that Plum Flower has an equivalent (which is what I usually stick with).

The whole yin thing is a confusing issue for me. I had yin deficiency in the past after doing fertility meds. I was treated, then about a year or two later night sweats and heat cropped up again, and I was told I did not have yin deficiency and quite the opposite. Now I've got night sweats again, and a yin formula was helping, but as has happened previously, dampness got worse. So I've got coexisting dampness with yin deficiency. Something that yes, doesn't happen much in a cold climate (but we get some major humid summers in NY)

Salad greens are suppose to be good for liver qi stagnation so I've read. Not good for spleen dampness. It seems that whatever I eat is bad for something I have, because I've got so many patterns. Which is why I gave up so much paying attention to cold foods and their effect. Warming foods have a negative effect on my "stomach heat".

I've also got blood deficiency from (tmi) long menstrual cycles...not anemic according to blood tests-somewhere in the middle, but definately symptoms of blood deficiency in tcm, or blood volume loss in western. Oh, and Qi deficiency. Probably from that plus having flu twice, and strep once this year. Just generally run down & worn out.

The pituitary tumor - it could actually be a clot or have been a pituitary apoplexy from being on Lupron (fertility drug). It's been known to do that (the drug). I had some really horrid symptoms when I was on it. The "growth" is too small to determine. The good thing is that it is negligible in size now. It pretty much halved in size to almost nothing (2mm). I tend to think it's actually blood or even a cyst, because pit tumors don't supposedly disappear or get smaller. I'm prone to cysts and growths. I think that's a dampness issue, no?

The liver issues - most definitely from the fertility drugs. I had adrenal fatigue, and then at one point adrenal insufficiency too (was on steroids). I went thru FOUR IVFs. Never cleansed in between. It wreaked havoc on my body. I did what they call a circadian method of dessicated thyroid about 6 mos. ago and healed my adrenals that way.

Anyway, that was way more than I planned to divulge in public. But I am basically taking Free & Easy Wanderer Plus (liver qi stag, spleen qi, gallbladder, blood nourisher, preserves yin), and Central Qi Teapills for Qi deficiency. I've stopped the yin formula (8 flavor) to work on those 2 first, despite the fact that the liver formula is causing the yin defic. to slightly worsen. Unless it is heat rising from the liver (I'm so very confused).

The neck lymph nodes I have not had any symptoms at all since starting Free & Easy Wanderer +. I've had a peeled tongue (stomach heat) for about a year, and even that went away. The slippery elm also helped, but at one point it stopped helping. And shortly after that I started the F&EW & that took care of the stomach pain & digestive issues.

Hope that all made sense. It's late here & the brain is oh so foggy right now.

And that dr. in regard to praying? We should honor all religions and those that choose not to believe. She should have advised the person to work on their own spirit & emotional work instead of blaming it on lack of prayer. But then, she's 70 something and old school. Sounds interesting though, as long as it's not too complicated. My brain hurts from trying to figure out the different patterns. The more I read, the more I get confused. The more I read, the more I think just treating one pattern can fix other patterns...but maybe I'm just getting delusional from these chinese herbs. :wacko:

Edited by Clarity, 18 April 2013 - 04:00 AM.

#47 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

P.S. I wanted to add before I forget that I'm doing the 5:2 diet (The Fast Diet), which is intermittent fasting - not just to lose weight, but for the liver cleansing effects, as well as lowering lipids as it supposedly claims. For the first time I've seen my fasting glucose drop back into the 80s without having any negative consequences on my adrenals. Any other diet I was on I could not get fasting sugars below 90s, because I was always getting a dawn effect in the morning from low blood sugar while sleeping. I've tried IF before, but it always caused digestive problems when I started eating fats again on non-fasting days. The Free & Easy Wanderer Plus formula helped me overcome that side effect.

#48 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Welcome back! I'm dizzy. Not sure what IF is. Feel free to message me if you prefer that. Glad to hear about the pituitary issue looking less menacing. I believe that Chinese medicine can and maybe has, been helpful here.

Sounds like the IVF thing wasn't great for your health. It seems many Western Medical interventions or even tests, haven't been so great for you. Some people get more ill effects from these than others because they are more sensitive. You seem to be one of those, so going wholistic even more could have many benefits for you.

I looked up the 5:2 diet. I'm not sure why you have a concern with you blood sugar/lipids or what the normal numbers are there. Don't have that knowledge. Chinese medicine would frown on this diet. You need a steady supply of good nourishment. I used to go on many diets, fasts and cleanses. I think I harmed myself by doing that. Our bodies resent the lack of nourishment. I think female bodies in particular resent certain deprivations. I would say, eat three balanced meals a day and two snacks. Doing otherwise may eventually lower your set point and cause your body to go into power save mode so you don't burn calories or function as well. If I were you I would eat as many hot meals/dishes/drinks as I could. I wonder if you still can't tolerate a steamed green vegetable every day?

I'm glad you found some Chinese formulas that are working for you. They are awesome. As you probably know, they redirect the chi to the areas that need it. Eating a good diet, getting enough rest and fresh air creates an adequate supply of chi for the body to work with. Otherwise you are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Edited by Luminosity, 20 April 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#49 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to make your head spin. IF is intermittent fasting. I know the 5:2 is not exactly ideal...according to chinese medicine. But it's honestly the only diet I actually don't feel completely drained on and more importantly actually lose weight. I can do weight watchers or balanced meals faithfully for 6 mos., work out 5x a week for an hour, and lose 5 lbs the first month, and then not lose a lb for 5 mos. There is also a video (Eat, Fast & Live Longer) that showed that health markers all improved on the diet. In my way of looking at it, it gives the liver/GB a chance to catch up processing fats. And supposedly caveman ate in a feast/famine sort of cycle. I figure it may not be ideal short term, but in the long term it will. I do feel much better when I'm on it.

As I posted, my triglycerides went up 100 points after coconut oil. They were already up aprox. another 100 this year - I don't know why, but pretty much after the whole thyroid ultrasound fiasco and gallbladder problems. Me & my siblings already have a genetic related problem with triglycerides. So I went from my usual 200s (since I was young), into 300s after the thyroid/GB, and now I'm in the 400s.

I ended up having to stop everything but the free & easy wanderer. The Qi formula was too yang (that worsened night sweats). I added 8 flavor again with a dampness formula which was obviously wrong - it created blood heat. So back to taking F&EW at a very low dose split up. Seems to be working ok, but I've still got the blood heat a bit. At least I learned something in the process about previous responses to those formulas.

I have been trying to incorporate cooked vegetables. At risk of sounding like a 10 yr old, but they make me gag. I have no problem with raw. I'll try harder and hopefully I'll get use to it. No doubt it's some kind of response that means my body needs them. Especially cruciferous vegetables for the liver detox effects (I don't make a habit of eating them even raw). I am however good at avoiding certain dairy that I know just isn't good for things like dampness/spleen.

Edited by Clarity, 20 April 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#50 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Btw, I see he shou wu mentioned. I have it and take it from time to time. But I'm a little leery about the reports of liver damage. I have Nature's Answer brand liquid Fo-Ti. Not even completely sure of it's indications in chinese medicine except liver/kidney tonic.

#51 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

Thanks for responding.

#52 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

Thanks for responding.

#53 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

Sorry for butting in to the thread so late. I know this is pretty intuitive, but PubMed is a helpful starting point for researching chinese herbs: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

#54 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Sorry for butting in to the thread so late. I know this is pretty intuitive, but PubMed is a helpful starting point for researching chinese herbs: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Thanks Revenant - never thought of using pubmed for chinese formulas/herbs.

#55 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yeah and it seems that lately chinese (and other asian) scientists are conducting more and more research to scientifically evaluate TCM and in particular its pharmacopoeia.

#56 Luddist

• 102 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'm taking stephania tetrandra (Han Fang ji) as a powder and the retailer said not to take it in cold water/juice/applesauce. Should I really heed this advice? I agree with not drinking ice water for less esoteric reasons as the Chinese reason, and I have a vague understanding of TCM, but I just can't believe in some of the more simplistic yin/yang stuff like heat vs cold etc. I don't feel like putting my juice in the microwave.

And what's a good online Chinese herb retailer? I bought my first round of herbs off www.1stchineseherbs.com because they seem to stick with brands that bother to test their herbs for impurities and such, but if there's a better one out there I'd like to find out.

#57 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

Yes, you need to not use cold stuff to take your herbs in. Microwaving isn't ideal either. If you insist on doing that, put it on delay and get forty feet away from it. In some cases, room temperature liquids are o.k. Not familiar with that herb. The yin/yang temperature stuff may sound overly simple, but it is true. You can only know that after you've followed it for a while.

Am looking for another online retailer myself.

#58 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm taking stephania tetrandra (Han Fang ji) as a powder and the retailer said not to take it in cold water/juice/applesauce. Should I really heed this advice? I agree with not drinking ice water for less esoteric reasons as the Chinese reason, and I have a vague understanding of TCM, but I just can't believe in some of the more simplistic yin/yang stuff like heat vs cold etc. I don't feel like putting my juice in the microwave.

And what's a good online Chinese herb retailer? I bought my first round of herbs off www.1stchineseherbs.com because they seem to stick with brands that bother to test their herbs for impurities and such, but if there's a better one out there I'd like to find out.

I usually let any liquids just sit out in room temp. Same with fruits/veg if I'm eating raw. I sometimes get severe bloating & cramps if I drink something with ice after eating. It really can slow down your digestion. In chinese medicine, it's called your "digestive fire".

There's nothing wrong with a cold drink in the summer as long as you don't have digestive problems or away from food. In chinese medicine they recommend to stick with seasonal vegetables and fruit. They actually warm or cool you off. They should be cooked more so in the winter.

Some chinese herb sources that I've used: Morningstarhealth.com, chineseherbsdirect.com, acuatlanta.com (a brick & mortar acupuncturist in atlanta). activeherb.com which sells it's own brand which I've used (tests for heavy metals & impurities). Prices vary wildly sometimes for the same item. You have to shop around a little. Amazon also sells chinese herbs through their sellers. You just have to know what brand your buying, and check the reputation of the seller because you don't want to buy counterfeits. There are only 3 brands I will use: Min Shan/Plum Flower (same company) or active herbs brand.

#59 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Yeah and it seems that lately chinese (and other asian) scientists are conducting more and more research to scientifically evaluate TCM and in particular its pharmacopoeia.

They are. Theoretically, this is great - I firmly believe there is a wealth of information to be learned and found from systematically mapping out traditional medicine practices.

However, I think a critical mindset needs to be applied in these cases just as much as with Western pharmaceutical clinical tests. In some cases, perhaps even more.

The profit drive is instrumental in almost all testing, including that of herbal medicine, whether it is Indian, Chinese or something else. Since both China and India have the production facilities in place for traditional medicine, they will make a huge profit if they can turn as much of the rest of the world onto their herbs. Of course, where they are indeed effective, this is a win-win situation - but it also means a clear incentive to 'frisson' reports or to use the same trickery, such as selective publishing, that Western pharmaceuticals employ to get their stuff to market.

#60 Luminosity

• Topic Starter
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:50 AM

Give us three examples of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users