Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

College path for Longevity work.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Panther

• 65 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

So I'll be aligning my career with Longevity. I need to know what field to get into however, as I hate fumbling my way around and wasting time. I want to acquire the skills, be immersed in the culture, essentially making the goal of accomplishing Longevity my life. I need to know what skill-set would be most useful to me and thus my majors and such, where the culture is concentrated so I can work with like-minds, etc.

#2 Panther

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Bump

#3 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

What aptitudes do you have?
Best subject?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 jpnitya

• 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:16 AM

Because aging is a biological process I would suggest that you include biology in your skills. With the sequencing of the human genome and recent progress in the genetics of aging and longevity, I would also recommend some knowledge of genetics. Nevertheless, it does not make such a big difference because many different techniques and skills can be employed to study aging. There are physicists, physicians, engineers, biologists, geneticists, computer scientists, mathematicians, and many other different professionals studying aging right now. Therefore, my advice is for you to learn different skills, understand the science of aging, and focus on the area you find more exciting or more adequate to your personal situation. In the end, remember that who you are is more important than what you learn. To quote Einstein: "Creativity is more important than knowledge."

I have an essay on my website that covers many topics on becoming a biogerontologist which may be useful if you wish to develop a career in this area (the above response is mostly taken from it):
http://www.senescence.info/career.html

#5 PRK

• 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Biochemistry might be a good option for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users