* * * * * 1 votes

Beware of GliSodin

glisodin withdrawal effects

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

i couldnt find any reliable sources and/or experiences reviews on this supplement to suggest its potent antioxidant in any way. i wonder why its so expensive...

#32 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

http://www.renerheal...ep deal web.pdf

http://onlinelibrary...r.1542/abstract

http://www.mendeley....ltrasound-b-im/

I have been taking it in LEF's endothelial defense product for 6 years. I don't know what my IMT looked like back then, but I had my carotid artery scanned a few months ago and there was no thickening and I am 55.

Edited by Kevnzworld, 20 September 2012 - 04:15 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Adrian Cox

• 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

I just started taking Glisodin, albeit amongst a wide number of other supplements BUT when I take it, my skin looks really good.
Quite a bit different than when I don't take it. Call me vain, but that's incentive enough for me.

#34 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have been taking it as contained into the LEF's Endothelial Defense. I normally cycle the formulation (e.g. take it for 4 months, then stop 3 months or so etc ..). However I never took an intima-media thickness (IMT) test but I was generally determined at low risk of metabolic syndrome. I like the combination with the pomegranate extract but cannot really say how well it is working though.

#35 hottep

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

Been taking Glisodin on and off since it was introduced. Was even considering injecting SOD at one point before Glisodin came out. Anyway, 500-1000mg+ is quite a dose, I think I was at 300mg for years with no side effects coming on or off the stuff. Only side effects I have experienced were headaches after being exposed to a lot of sun without sun tan lotion. And once had a similar feeling headache from a morning after hangover after drinking an entire bottle of cheap sangria. I started taking it on and off after these headaches started even though they could be avoided with some simple precautions.

It would make sense that the body would under produce in response to high blood levels but it should return to normal once the dosage is removed. You can't really comment scientifically unless you are actually taking blood samples and measuring SOD levels.

Edited by hottep, 15 October 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#36 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

This is all speculation and hypothesis, but I have some personal experience to share for this thread.

The original poster reports taking Glisodin to raise SOD levels, but when he comes off the nutrient he crashes.   One way to interpret this is that the body seeks some level of SOD, and when supplementing SOD the body's endogenous production of SOD goes low.   If you stop the supplement suddenly, then the exogenous levels are left low for a few days while they rebuild.    I have had something similar happen, where I took a substance known to increase SOD levels, then unwisely stopped it cold turkey.   I had two or three days where I could barely move, and the exhaustion was deep inside the muscle throughout the body.

A biochemist I worked with thought that this indicated that I might be experiencing high oxidative stress while my body rebuilt its SOD levels.

For the experiment with Glisodin to be meaningful, people should be measuring SOD levels before they supplement and after.   If your system equilibrates the endogenous + supplemental SOD to some constant level, then there is no point in supplementing.

Another question I have:  is Glisodin raising SOD3 (extracellular SOD) or SOD1 (intracellular SOD)?

Does anyone know of a vendor who will measure SOD3 and SOD1 separately?   I assume no one can measure SOD2, outside of a research environment?

Edited by pone11, 11 January 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#37 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

Does oral SOD act more as an extracellular or intracellular agent ? I'm hoping it would substitute the function of extracellular SOD (SOD3)

Isn't the place we actually get the most benefit from SOD in the mitochondria (SOD2)?   Because this is the place where most superoxide radicals are created, due to electron transport chain.

#38 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:36 AM

Blood Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) Decrease Following Oral Administration of Plant SOD to Healthy Subjects
Kinoyama, M. Nitta, H. Hara, S. Watanabe, A. Shirao, K.

Pages 612-613

Smokers and sportspeople who are easily affected by oxidative stress need to ingest sufficient quantities of foods including antioxidant minerals (Cu, Zn, Fe, Se) in order to replenish the coenzymes of antioxidant enzymes (SOD, glutathione peroxidase, catalase, etc) and antioxidant vitamins (C and E). However, it will be necessary to show further scientific evidences as to whether there is any need for ingestion of antioxidant health foods containing plant SOD.

Source: Journal of Health Science, 53(5) 608-614 (2007)

This is a very interesting study, and here is full study:

https://www.jstage.j...5/53_5_608/_pdf

The interesting findings of this study are that even one day after ending the SOD supplementation:

1) SOD levels measured in the blood were LOWER than the levels prior to supplementation.

2) Whereas SOD levels had a very wide range of 2.8 to 8.5 U/ml prior to supplementation, after supplementation the range narrowed to 2.1 to 2.9!!  Imagine being the person with endogenous levels around 8.5, and after supplementing you crash to <2.8!

3) The markers of oxidative stress went UP not down, at end of supplementation.

What I don't understand is why they did not measure these things every day during the study period to understand the trend.   Had the body already compensated its endogenous production before they stopped taking the supplement, or was it only after stopping that the crash in SOD levels happened?

This is a very surprising result, and it makes me think that supplementing SOD without carefully monitoring your SOD levels before and after supplementing is a flat out mistake.  

• Informative x 2

#39 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

That's worrying. Discontinuing Glisodin supplementation.

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#40 elc202

• 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

This is a very interesting study, and here is full study:

https://www.jstage.j...5/53_5_608/_pdf

The interesting findings of this study are that even one day after ending the SOD supplementation:

1) SOD levels measured in the blood were LOWER than the levels prior to supplementation.

2) Whereas SOD levels had a very wide range of 2.8 to 8.5 U/ml prior to supplementation, after supplementation the range narrowed to 2.1 to 2.9!!  Imagine being the person with endogenous levels around 8.5, and after supplementing you crash to <2.8!

3) The markers of oxidative stress went UP not down, at end of supplementation.

What I don't understand is why they did not measure these things every day during the study period to understand the trend.   Had the body already compensated its endogenous production before they stopped taking the supplement, or was it only after stopping that the crash in SOD levels happened?

This is a very surprising result, and it makes me think that supplementing SOD without carefully monitoring your SOD levels before and after supplementing is a flat out mistake.  

i was going to start using it but now im not sure. btw, dont you think that 7 subjects/15 days in a study is too small?

• Agree x 1

#41 Passion

• 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:09 PM

This pro-SOD study seems to contradict that anti-SOD study. The pro-SOD study was done on rowers, while the anti-SOD study was done on "healthy subjects". I'm trying to find differences between the two studies that could explain the varied results. The pro-SOD study very clearly states that the supplement given was GliSODin, while the anti-SOD study used some food product called "Bell Pine Pure", who's main SOD source was oxykine. The anti-SOD study does seem to mention that the SOD is "gliadin-combined", but it's not GliSODin, for whatever that's worth. Can anyone else spot meaningful differences?

I recently started taking GliSODin and it's making an incredible difference for my energy levels. I'm really hoping it's an effect that will last and not hurt me in the long run. 

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#42 omer

• 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:58 AM

This pro-SOD study seems to contradict that anti-SOD study. The pro-SOD study was done on rowers, while the anti-SOD study was done on "healthy subjects". I'm trying to find differences between the two studies that could explain the varied results. The pro-SOD study very clearly states that the supplement given was GliSODin, while the anti-SOD study used some food product called "Bell Pine Pure", who's main SOD source was oxykine. The anti-SOD study does seem to mention that the SOD is "gliadin-combined", but it's not GliSODin, for whatever that's worth. Can anyone else spot meaningful differences?

I recently started taking GliSODin and it's making an incredible difference for my energy levels. I'm really hoping it's an effect that will last and not hurt me in the long run. 

i have been taking Glisodin for more than 10 years and it gave me  an incredible boost to my  my energy levels and much more

Edited by omer, 02 December 2023 - 10:59 AM.

• Informative x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users