- - - - -

Can I get rid of the left menu?

forum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hi, the new left menu is taking screen space. Is there any way to disable it? Thanks.

#2 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

Yeh the thing is hideous, feels like I am browsing the web back in the 90's with that rotating carousel and cheap clip art graphics. At least move into 2011 like the rest of the web and make it a horizontal frame up the top or bottom of the page.
  • dislike x 1

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

The extra left menu on the "new topics screen" should be a drop-down. Problem is developers are using big-screen monitors, but many of us use laptops with smaller screens. Maybe a laptop version? and have we gotten to mobile device version yet? I fear to try viewing on my android phone.

#4 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

Laptop? I am using a 18.5" monitor and I can´t stand he left menu! The page does not fix.
Bad design.
You are right, designers sell eye candy.

Edited by noos, 23 September 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#5 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

I came to start a thread on this. The left menu is terrible. I have to scroll back and forth to read a line of text. As someone said, put it at the top or bottom or anywhere but right there.

#6 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:19 AM

Besides, the links in the left menu takes you to iminst.org domain, all is a mess.

#7 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

I came to start a thread on this. The left menu is terrible. I have to scroll back and forth to read a line of text. As someone said, put it at the top or bottom or anywhere but right there.

Sure. And also design with CSS so that the page fixes to screen width.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

The sidebar is an ad. Like all advertisements, some find it pretty annoying, most people ignore it, and a few actually find it very useful.

The sidebar is there to remind everyone, all the time, wherever you are on the site, of some essential features of LongeCity.

As to space – when the sidebar was set up the forum was flexible with. This has changed drastically in the version upgrade and no one has had time to look at all the spec and see if they can be modified without trouble.Its not that bad though. I use a small netbook much of the time and I can navigate the forum very well. We do have a phone-compatible forum version and on that one the sidebar does not appear.

However, sidebar haters can take heart! There is a good possibility that we’ll slim it down and move most of the content topside as the ‘city design’ develops.

As to ‘cheap clip art graphics’: I’m afraid that is the LongeCity look. This year, for the first time ever, we are spending some money on a designer to help us make the site look better, but that money only stretches so far, and we’d much rather spend it on life extension research. So its going to be free clipart and scripts until someone feels so aesthetically aggrieved that he wants to donate money specifically for a site design budget. If you can help improve the look, join the art team or the editors today!
  • dislike x 1

#9 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

I would not donate money when the problem is the idea of the design. Besides, i do not have problems with esthetics but usability.

Where is the phone-compatible forum version?

Thanks

Edited by noos, 24 September 2011 - 10:44 PM.

#10 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

To any admin, I believe this should be easy to fix. It must be a problem with using fixed CSS instead of relative so the page can fix the screen. Of course better if you remove the left bar and replace it with links elsewhere.

#11 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

This is a proof of concept to show it can be fixed with CSS. I am not a webmaster.

If your browser supports custom CSS create a file in notepad e.g.

longecity.css

write:

#navigation {position:relative !important;float:top !important; }

* {

width: auto !important;
max-width: none !important;
min-width: 0px !important;
height: auto !important;
max-height: none !important;
min-height: 0px !important;
}

The easiest it is to kill the menu, but you said you need it for ads.

This CSS will mess the edit box. I don´t have time now to fix it.

I mean, you don´t need lots of money to fix this, use relative positions in the CSS.

edit: I am not sure if:
position:relative !important;
is needed, you check please.

Edited by noos, 02 October 2011 - 07:15 PM.

#12 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

Or just use this:

#navigation {position:relative !important;float:top !important;}

To preserve other styles and have less problems. But the page will not fix to width.

Edited by noos, 02 October 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#13 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

I am using a 18.5" monitor and I can´t stand he left menu! The page does not fix.

If you are having problems with that size monitor, this can only be a specific bug.
Please post screenshots and details about your browser and screen resolution.

#14 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:25 AM

This is FF (only the page, no menus, croped). Screen is 1024x768
Posted Image

Edited by noos, 04 October 2011 - 03:42 AM.

#15 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

I don't have access to an 18'5 Monitor atm, but I'm unable to replicate that behaviour on a smaller screen at that resolution.

#16 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:04 PM

I'm glad others have mentioned this issue too. I absolutely despise the left bar menu. I sometimes purposely don't even check out the forums, as I don't want to bother with scrolling even more than usual on my netbook ... and yes, on netbooks or tablets, the left bar gets in the way.

And even for most regular monitors, I find it annoying. I don't want to sound mean, but whoever decided it was a good idea to put in the left menu bar, with rotating graphics, was completely insane. Put it on the top, bottom, or have a way to disable it. Please.

Edited by nameless, 06 October 2011 - 11:07 PM.

• like x 1

#17 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

I do´t understand how Caliban does not have to scroll and Nameless and me yes

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:45 AM

noos, it looks to me like you are running at an abnormally high level of magnification. Try playing around with CTRL+ and CTRL- in FF and see if you can scale things down.
  • like x 1

#19 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

niner, no I am not zooming. If I ctrl- the page fits but font is small.

#20 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Have you tried different browsers? I have a much smaller screen and I never noticed the side-bar till just now... no side-scrolling required

Edited by manic_racetam, 09 October 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#21 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Have you tried different browsers? I have a much smaller screen and I never noticed the side-bar till just now... no side-scrolling required

Of course.

#22 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

It has to do with low resolution screens and small displays. On my netbook, for instance, at 1024x600, I get scrolling issues with the left menu. It is possible a different zoom setting could help, but also keep in mind a zoom setting is used for a reason. If text has to be too tiny to easily read so that the left menu fits, a user isn't going to visit this website much.

I also tested it on an old PC I have with a CRT monitor, and at 1024x768, the left menu bar overlaps the text when scrolling. And if no scrolling is used, then part of the right side of the screen is cut off. I also tested it on my Touchpad, and the left bar does fit. However, the text is really too small to read unless I expand the screen, so... umm... well, you get my point.

For those with large widescreen monitors or even regular laptops, I expect it isn't a big issue. It's still a waste of space in my opinion, but probably doesn't cause scrolling issues. But the bigger issue to me is, why not simply have a way to disable the bar? Or put it somewhere else? It's really pointless and annoying where it is now. And for those of us using lower resolutions, either on a PC, netbook or tablet, it's a major pain... unless I want to turn zoom down to around 70% and break out some magnifying glasses.
  • like x 1

#23 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Everything that can be said on this issue from this end is in post #8 above.

In firefox/chrome Ctrl+0 sets zoom level to 'normal'

To vent your frustration, use the Bill O'Rights forum.

closed
  • dislike x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users