• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

- - - - -

BMI Prizes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 26 January 2005 - 02:59 AM

I want your input.

Do you think a Brain-Machine Interface prize would work?

Here are the thoughts of this lay person (me)...

There could be two prizes under the banner of a BMI prize.
1) Invasive BMI prize
2) Non-invasive BMI prize

GOAL CONCEPTS

Each prize would set a goal to be achieved, and accept donations as incentive to achieve that goal. Teams currently working on BMI research could apply as official competitors.

I) The goals of the prizes would change as previous goals are achieved and as prize money is dispensed to winning teams. The goals would have to be sufficiently difficult so that they would warrant prize money, but not too difficult at least initially.

Here are examples of this first concept:
1) Invasive BMI prize - Initial goal of one-way communication from 1000 neurons (or 10,000 neurons).
2) Non-invasive BMI prize - Initial goal of increasing the resolution and number of measurements per unit time (hardware improvements), and/or improving software interpretation of brain activity as it relates to the subject's intent.

or

II) One long term goal could be set for each prize, and left to grow through donations so that when such goals are finally achieved the prize money will be substantial.

Here are examples of this second concept:
1) Invasive BMI prize - Long term goal of two-way communication between subject and computer (perhaps too ambitious? I don't know).
2) Non-invasive BMI prize - *Substantially increased resolution and number of measurements per unit time.

REQUIREMENTS

I wouldn't place many restrictions upon those teams that compete. The first subjects of more experimental BMIs may be animals, and not necessarily humans. Regardless though, if they have achieved those goals outlined in the prize they should be awarded the prize money. The only major requirement would be that the winning team demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt they have indeed accomplished the goals of the prize.

This outline is incomplete and may be editted at my discretion. Your comments and criticisms are welcome.

---
*The second prize may have it's limits as non-invasive BMIs may be a dead end venue of R&D at some point.

#2 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:06 AM

I like the idea of accelerating Brain-Machine interface (BMI) technology by using competitions. There seem to be a great potential.

It makes me consider another option. It is obvious, and has been for some time, that what has been driving the acceleration of computer power for along time is the growing demands of the video gamers. It is largely because of the gaming industry that more powerful and accurate computer technology has been developed. Spanning from Input devices such as Force feedback wheels, Flight-sticks, Optical and now Laser mice to Larger and faster screens, and onto the obligatory CPUs, GPUs and RAM blocks.

I think this trend, that gamers always want better technology for their games, could be used to advance BMI technology too. If some unique games could be developed that was controlled by BMI devices, the demand for innovation could be kick-started. Those games would of course have to be of multiplayer style so the competition element would shine through. The problem with such emerging technology is that it wont catch on before the games are fun enough, so the technology has to move along a bit further than it is today.

The good thing about getting gamers to use this technology is that they have a will to learn new things. When a new game is released, the learning curve is quite steep in many cases, but that does not seem to deter gamers. I think that this willingness to try new things could be a powerful tool if utilized effectively.

Maybe games could be a part of the evaluation for a winner of your BMI prize. Players could get different devices to play with, and the winner of the game would be those with the better device - or something similar.

I think that it would be easiest to make such a prize/competition with non-invasive devices, but the potential power of invasive devices could be demonstrated by putting the two systems up head to head ( literally :) ) in direct competition.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:04 AM

This looks to be a worthwhile concept. Any plans on how to proceed to make a reality?

#4 kraemahz

• 157 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:38 AM

While I don't disagree with you that brain-computer interfacing is important and a prize of sufficent value might speed up the research, the field we're talking about is already very well funded. I know there are even people working on it here at the UW, as well as stuff like surgical ly implanted robotics. Unlike some more contraversial fields of fiddling with humans, no one seems to have as yet made a big deal out of this particular method of playing God, there's no shortage of people who are interested in its capabilities either. What I'm saying is that the kind of prize you're talking about would have to 1) Be of MASSIVE value 2) Garner the respect and support of billion-dollar businesses willing to donate 3) Be well orchastrated and maintained. The prize you're talking about would be no easy task, we're talking X-Prize proportions here to be necessary for it to REALLY have an effect. If you're willing to put that kind of dedication into a prize, more power to you, but right now I feel the area of research is doing sufficiently well and there are probably other things that more urgently need attention.

• Lurker

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:57 AM

kraemahz, I don't intend to start such a prize (but that could concievably change though).

Now to address the criticisms you've pointed out.

What I'm saying is that the kind of prize you're talking about would have to 1) Be of MASSIVE value 2) Garner the respect and support of billion-dollar businesses willing to donate 3) Be well orchastrated and maintained.

1) I disagree, the intention is not to fund the research, just to give incentive for those researchers to achieve the goals outlined in such a prize. The goals would be a natural extension of expected (eventual) progress in that field.
2) This is not absolutely necessary, but it would help.
3) Yes, I agree.

If you're willing to put that kind of dedication into a prize, more power to you, but right now I feel the area of research is doing sufficiently well and there are probably other things that more urgently need attention.

One would have to make such an assessment before starting a BMI prize. You may be right, BMI research may not need a BMI prize as incentive for increased progress. It seems they are chugging along quite well without such a prize.

However, I don't know if that rate of progress will continue into 2-way communication. The application of reliable 1-way BMIs for the disabled (quality of life issue) is probably incentive enough for some researchers to actively develop the technology. Two way communication may present a less interesting or important goal to achieve to those currently working on BMIs. This is my speculation of course, I'd like to hear what osc_razor believes.

-----

We already have one major life-extension prize, but I'm aware of no prize that gives incentive for developments of technologies that could lead to intelligence augmentation (for lack of a better word). What are the implications of a sophisticated 2-way BMI between a human subject and a computer? Greater assimilation of information by the human? The ability to offset mental calculations to a computer? Consider the possibilities....

Again, if osc_razor drops by I would value his input, even if he's largely critical of my ideas.

#6 kraemahz

• 157 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:42 AM

1) I disagree, the intention is not to fund the research, just to give incentive for those researchers to achieve the goals outlined in such a prize. The goals would be a natural extension of expected (eventual) progress in that field.
2) This is not absolutely necessary, but it would help.

I probably would have done better to include those two on the same logic step, as obviously the first makes the second more necessary. I also appologise for not well-defining my meaning of massive. By X-Prize proportions I means something of high enough significant value to make it noticeable to businesses and enterprising engineers. While the purpose of a prize is to provide an extra competative edge, such an edge is proportional to the amount of the prize and the amount that such research costs. The X-Prize was 11 million dollars and the winners spent more than the actual prize to reach it. The purpose of a prize is, obviously, not to fund that research but instead to offset the tremendous costs of performing it so that to the victors the prestige they recieve from winning is enough for them to ignore the out-of-pocket expense they have to put upfront. So, to me, the costs of the research into this kind of project is "massive," and for a prize to be truly effective in the area it would have to some degree off-set those costs.

Really, the reason for a prize is to attract private firms to spend their R&D money for the prestige they would gain winning the prize. Academia is already competing against itself, private companies are the energy that really causes a prize to work. For this reason too you need a noticeable amount of money in your prize. No self-respecting businessman is going to go after a prize that doesn't at least show a semblance of being profitable. Also, big numbers just tend to catch the public eye, for a prize to be effective it needs media coverage and the media likes nothing better than throwing around large figures. I hope that all made sense, I'm typing kind of fast as I'm in a bit of a hurry. In summation:

Prize value is proportional to the amount of participation in a prize.

• Lurker

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:31 PM

I'll clarify a few issues quickly.

The way I envision this prize, is as a supplement or encouragement for those who are already researching BMIs. I don't want them to change their focus of research, I want to foster an atmosphere of competition between teams.

Ideally the prize organizers would solicit these teams and offer to sign them up as official competitors for the prize. This would put no additional burden on the researchers and would provide a monetary incentive for achievements they may accomplish with or without the prize. All they must do is demonstrate their achievements and if it accomplishes or surpasses the goal of the prize, they would recieve their prize money.

The money itself is not the only incentive for progress, it's also the competition between teams that would encourage such progress. At the low-end I think the prize would require at least $100,000 USD, but something closer to a million dollars would be preferred.

Since the first application of BMIs will likely be for the disabled, the prize organizers could recieve support from disabled groups. These interest groups may provide the financial assistance and publicity that would be required to get the prize on it's feet.

I have more to say on this subject, but I'll leave it at that for now.

#8 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:04 AM

Personally I don't see BCI as a priority project in terms of life extension, but nice idea nonetheless :-) Sure a good way to get some transhuman memes out. A piece of criticism:

1) Invasive BMI prize - Initial goal of one-way communication from 1000 neurons (or 10,000 neurons).
2) Non-invasive BMI prize - Initial goal of increasing the resolution and number of measurements per unit time (hardware improvements), and/or improving software interpretation of brain activity as it relates to the subject's intent.

I think it would be more spectacular and allow for more creativity if one had real-world goals understandable for the general public, such as control a particular robotic task, or complete a particular computer game (which measures the technical power indirectly)

Edited by John Schloendorn, 02 February 2005 - 12:38 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:39 AM

Well preferably, the goal should be technically specific. Something that can be more easily demonstrated than real world results. Your example of a goal may require skill on the subject's part to use the BMI (which could vary from person to person), rather than a strictly technological achievement. Although I could be wrong... I'm not a expert in this field.

#10 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:55 AM

Hi Cosmos,

Just a quick reply, let me think on this a little . At first blush my response would be that this probably isn't necessary given that there is a tremendous amount of money (billions) and talent going into this field already. People want this stuff in a big way for a number of reasons (notably DARPA wants this stuff in a big way and is funding a majority of the research - a little spooky but at least all those defense dollars are doing a little something good). We don't seem to have the publicity problem that longevity does. The only thing really slowing the field down is that this is a HARD problem, its just going to take us some time to overcome the hands-on technical hurdles.

From personal experience here at Georgia Tech, our lab is one of the most well funded labs on campus and bioengineering/neuroengineering is rapidly becoming one of the most popular new undergraduate majors. This also seems to be the case for academic neuroengineering labs around the country and there is a very rapidly building private industry now. I would like to do some thinking about how to focus the field further, but it really is going at almost top speed already. It just a question of whether efforts are being organized well enough.

Peter

#11 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:07 AM

PS If there is a good network systems/web programmer out there who wants to help this effort directly, the Potter Group in the Lab for Neuroengineering is once again looking for an Information Manager. This job would entail managing the internal blog, our electronic paper library, electronic lab notebooks, large scale data storage, general small network support, and developing new and better software systems for coordinating the efforts of our researchers. If you are interested contact me by PM here or look the position up at http://www.neuro.gat...edu/jobs.html#5 our lab is at http://neuro.gatech....tter/index.html

Please spread the word to any of your friends who may be qualified, this is a critical position for advancing our work and this person could have a direct effect on how quickly we are able to develop effective BMI sytems. We are drowning in information, we need someone to help us organize the chaos ;)

• Lurker

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:47 AM

Peter, you may be able to reach more people if you post your job wanted ad at naturejobs. ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

• Lurker

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:01 AM

Also, thank you for your comments. A BMI prize may not be necessary in the near future, but I think this thread was successful in exploring the viability (or lack thereof) of such a prize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users