• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

LEF's - LIFE EXTENSION MIX - - What do you think?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 motomatt

• 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:42 PM

I like Now brand white stevia, I buy the 1 lb. I wish I could use xylitol but all sugar alcohols don't agree with me even in very tiny amounts.
I read somewhere where they linked stevia to testerone decline, anybody hear of this?

#62 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:35 PM

Pete, having sucrose in the product is fine. Sucralose is a deal breaker. As I said above, I could not imagine why a company would add a sweetener to a pill to begin with. And it turns out this wasn't the case after all.

In any case, it is very, very documented (just use google) that aspartame is toxic, and so when that report said that aspartame was safe, well, that's the giveaway that the report isn't worth paying attention to.

Two quick links I found on sucralose...

http://www.mercola.c...23/chlorine.htm

http://www.mercola.c...n/8/splenda.htm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:32 AM

Pete,

After having read your last post I am, indeed, putting my money where my mouth is and not buying any of your products.

Thanks for twisting my words and the attempted character assasination.

Chlorocarbons are not as inocuous as table salt. [thumb]

#64 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:16 AM

Pete,

After having read your last post I am, indeed, putting my money where my mouth is and not buying any of your products. 

Thanks for twisting my words and the attempted character assasination.

Chlorocarbons are not as inocuous as table salt.  

pulled right from AOR's website:

Other ingredients: Rice Essence™ (antioxidant-rich rice bran concentrate), lecithin (soy), natural vanilla flavor, guar or xanthan gum, maltodextrin, dicalcium phosphate, and sucralose.

while i dont agree with pete about sucralose being safe... not buying his products would be silly...

i work in the supplement industry...and end up having to interact and deal with many of the top companies in the world, and i can personally vouch that his prices are really good.. and his customer service, promptness, and level of knowledge are excellent. every email i sent him was replied to within 1-2 days, and my order was shipped out the DAY after i placed it.

rare qualities in a supplement supplier, and it should be respected... relentless improvement [thumb] [thumb]

I wish I could use xylitol but all sugar alcohols don't agree with me even in very tiny amounts.
I read somewhere where they linked stevia to testerone decline, anybody hear of this?

i dont believe xylitol is a sugar alcohol, and no.. ive never heard of that.

Edited by ajnast4r, 13 August 2005 - 03:32 AM.

#65 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:57 AM

I like Now brand white stevia, I buy the 1 lb. I wish I could use xylitol but all sugar alcohols don't agree with me even in very tiny amounts.

damn... there goes the only healthy non-caloric sweetener option I thought I had.

Effects of chronic administration of Stevia rebaudiana on fertility in rats.

Melis MS.

Departamento de Biologia, Setor de Fisiologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil. msmelis@ffclrp.usp.br

A study conducted on prepubertal male rats showed that chronic administration (60 days) of a Stevia rebaudiana aqueous extract produced a decrease in final weight of testis, seminal vesicle and cauda epididymidis. In addition, the fructose content of the accessory sex glands and the epididymal sperm concentration are decreased. Stevia treatment tended to decrease the plasma testosterone level, probably by a putative affinity of glycosides of extract for a certain androgen receptor, and no alteration occurred in luteinizing hormone level. These data are consistent with the possibility that Stevia extracts may decrease the fertility of male rats.

#66 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

A study conducted on prepubertal male rats showed that chronic administration (60 days) of a Stevia rebaudiana aqueous extract produced a decrease in final weight of testis, seminal vesicle and cauda epididymidis. In addition, the fructose content of the accessory sex glands and the epididymal sperm concentration are decreased. Stevia treatment tended to decrease the plasma testosterone level, probably by a putative affinity of glycosides of extract for a certain androgen receptor, and no alteration occurred in luteinizing hormone level. These data are consistent with the possibility that Stevia extracts may decrease the fertility of male rats.

#1 what was the dose compared to bodyweight
#2 they were prepubecent

ide like to know how much extract they used, how much it decreased testosterone, if it had the same effect in adult rats... and if it had the same effects on humans..

defintly not enough info for me to stop stevia use

#67 motomatt

• 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:49 PM

[quote]ajnast4r
i dont believe xylitol is a sugar alcohol, and no.. ive never heard of that.

sugar alcohols have a laxative effect on me , my wife and alot of people I've talked to.

[:o] I hope that study on stevia does'nt have the same effects on humans, I use alot.

#68 psychenaut

• Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:13 PM

Quick note to point out that Ortho Core does NOT contain Sucralose (some of you caught this, some of you didn't). It DOES contain sucrose, which is disclosed because it is used as a carrier for the vitamin D.

It is my understanding that Vitamin D must use a carrier, and sucrose is by far the most popular. Most suppliers simply do not list it, but AOR chooses full disclosure. As usual. (Think what you have to worry about from less scrupulous suppliers?)

So: Ortho-Core is NOT sweetened and it does NOT contain Sucralose.

Essential Mix powder DOES contain Sucralose in a very small amount.

As to the sucralose issue, I am a big fan of Dr. Mercola, and used to read his blog every day (when I had more time). But, there is a solid 5-10% of things he says that I just cannot agree with. Or I might agree with them philosophically and find them impractical to implement in everyday life.

Health-wise, eating from an organic home garden, and breathing South Dakota air would be an ideal situation. But I cannot practically do that, so I breathe city air and buy sprouts from Jim at the Embarcadero farmers market. And use Ortho-Core.

Formulation is a balancing act. If anybody can suggest better multis than LEF and AOR, let me know! I want to sell those products. Until then I consider AOR and LEF multi's to be the best formulas, and in effective dosages.

Cheers!
Pete

#69 REBUILDER

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

I wonder if you'd recommend LEF's - "Life Extension Mix"
http://www.lef.org/n.../item00764.html

LEF makes very high-quality supplements. However, I'm afraid that I have to quibble with the formulation of many of them. The LEF mix contains many of the hazards common to multivitamins: enough retinol (preformed vitamin A) to roughly double your risk of fracture, unbalanced alpha-tocopherol levels high enough to drive out other E vitamers and increase your risk of all-cause mortality; high-dose niacinamide, which life extensionists should probably avoid due to the potential issue of niacinamide's nullification of the potential anti-aging effects of sirtuins; hazardous (>20:1) zinc-to-copper ratio; putting green tea extract into the mix, even though green tea and its extracts inhibit absorption of various minerals; inclusion of a variety of ingredients (Such as sylimarin) with no proven safety or efficacy in normal, healthy humans; a dose of lycopene (3 mg) far below the 14-18 mg present in the diets of the high-quintile of the population, established by epidemiology for reduced risk of a variety of diseases; other, minor issues.

AOR has Essential Mix, a powdered multi that solves all of these problems; forthcoming basic and advanced encapsulated multis will also cover these issues....

I am bumping this ancient AOR-hijacked thread because I don't want to start a new one but I do want to know the consensus opinion on this kitchen-sink supplement. That old Vitamin-A critique has been refuted , I personally don't think the issues with Vitamin E are significant, two of the three cited mineral-absorption-inhibiting studies on green tea are too short to be taken seriously -if you actually read them you find that one of them says the issues noted resolve naturally after 1 month, while the other two studies are two weeks long - and I like the simplicity of buying an all-in-one product from a reputable manufacturer. (Never mind the forgivable mega-hype found in their "magazine".) This product plus their super-booster, glucosamine/chondroitin (*both* for joints & cardiovascular benefits) and Ubiquinol are all that I intend to take in 2014. (Okay, that and Piracetam, plus maybe Curcumin) The point is I want to keep things simple. 17 pills/day worth of simple, and if this product does more harm than good then I would like to be aware of it.

#70 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

I don't take LEF 's mix because I prefer to take many of the items individually, and some , not at all. I do take LEF 's two per day multi caps.
I do take the super booster, and I think that for most people LEF mix is a good way to get a very extensive and complete vitamin/nutrient formula.
  • like x 1

#71 Next

• 42 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

I don't take LEF 's mix because I prefer to take many of the items individually, and some , not at all. I do take LEF 's two per day multi caps.
I do take the super booster, and I think that for most people LEF mix is a good way to get a very extensive and complete vitamin/nutrient formula.

I used to take LEF mix but now that I'm ballin' on a budget I can only afford 2 per days. I liked LEF mix and would cut it with a standard multi to keep the bottle going for longer...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#72 REBUILDER

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Your idea of stretching out the contents of the bottle by taking a standard multi is interesting. I will have to take another look at the non-vitamin ingredients in the mix to see how few capsules it would take to see measurable effects. I think you probably need to take the full recommended dose of pills to benefit from it.

I'm almost done with my last bottle of LEF mix and even though it will be less convenient, I'm eyeballing their 2-per-day packs and other companies "daily packet" supplements myself. LEF Mix looks incredibly more comprehensive than everyone elses products but there are specific joint and cardiovascular supplements I want to start taking and the LEF mix cuts into my budget. I also have a much healthier, more balanced diet now that provides a broader spectrum of antioxidants, so there are less deficiencies for the LEF mix to fill. If LEF had a discounted subscription program instead of hyping bulk-purchase-sales, I'd be all over that! Swanson has a good rep and a subscription program, though, so I really need to consider their products.

Edit:
It might be smarter to keep taking the LEF mix afterall because I just realized exactly how inexpensive Swanson's "Condition Specific" combination supplements are. LEF is overkill, but I also consider it a form of health "insurance". It might not be the ideal "all in one" formula, but it's the closest thing available and I'm willing to pay for both simplicity and peace of mind. anyone else have a better suggestion?

Edited by rebuilder, 14 December 2013 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users