• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Why is no one talking about Cat's Claw more?

cats claw

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

There' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncaria_tomentosa']There are two species of Cat's Claw, Uncaria tomentosa and Uncaria guianensis, each having different properties and uses. The two are frequently confused but U. tomentosa is the more heavily researched for medicinal use and immune modulation, while U. guianensis may be more useful for osteoarthritis. U. tomentosa is further divided into two chemotypes with different properties and active compounds, a fact ignored by most manufacturers that can have significant implications on both its use as an alternative medicine and in clinical trials to prove or disprove its efficacy...

U. tomentosa is used in nootropic drugs, as well as in treatment of cancer and HIV infection. It contains several alkaloids that are responsible for its medical effects, as well as tannins and various phytochemicals. The chemotype of the plant determines the dominant type of alkaloid it produces, and thus its properties in vivo. One chemotype has roots which produce mostly the pentacyclic alkaloids that are responsible for the immune-strengthening effects desired by most consumers. The second chemotype produces tetracyclic oxindole alkaloids known as rhynchophylline and isorhynchophylline which counteract the immune-strengthening actions of the pentacyclic alkaloids, reduces the speed and force of the heart's contraction, and in high doses produce ataxia, lack of coordination and sedative effects. Since U. tomentosa comes in at least these two different chemotypes, without chemical testing it is impossible to know which chemical compounds will predominate in a plant collected randomly from a natural setting.

→ source (external link)

Right. You bring up a valid point. The Cat's Claw lacking tetracyclic alkaloids will be more stimulating. Thus, if you notice sedating/inhibiting effects, you most likely are experiencing the strain with Rhyncophylline.
  • like x 1

#32 ramon25

• 111 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

So would a cats claw extract of alkaloids work, or are the MAOB compounds were talking about something other then the alkaloids which ould indicate the need for the whole plant?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Ark

• Topic Starter
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

Do any supplements combine both species of Cat's Claw?

Edited by Ark, 22 December 2011 - 03:22 AM.

#34 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Do any supplements combine both species of Cat's Claw?

It's funny, but I don't see a lot of supplements mention which strain they get the extract from. I guess you just have to "taste and see". I bought the stuff from Nature's Way I think, so after Christmas, I'll let yall know how that brand affects people. It's a Christmas present for not me, so I have to wait till he takes it.

#35 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

slightly off topic but i got some 98% rhyncophylline recently and am planning to substitute it for gabapentin [which I have fully come off of at this point]. Hoping that it will give some same benefits as gabapentin since it's a calcium channel blocker. I doubt it will work but I thought it was worth a try. Researched LD50 for rats and converted to human dosage to make sure i was far under the line first. I know real safe...

#36 Luddist

• 102 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

slightly off topic but i got some 98% rhyncophylline recently and am planning to substitute it for gabapentin [which I have fully come off of at this point]. Hoping that it will give some same benefits as gabapentin since it's a calcium channel blocker. I doubt it will work but I thought it was worth a try. Researched LD50 for rats and converted to human dosage to make sure i was far under the line first. I know real safe...

How'd that go?

#37 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

How'd that go?

Nothing to note :/

#38 mrnootropic

• 180 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

I was very interested in Cat's Claw a few years ago.

I only go to Pubmed and very few other sources for data.

Their is quite a few new studies on Pubmed about Uncaria tomentosa which is cats claw.

Search for ''Uncaria tomentosa Pubmed'' On GOOGLE, and click search results in the past year and you will find all the new studies

Edited by mrnootropic, 28 August 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#39 Vieno

• 187 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Gonna soon test the Nature's Way brand with PEA for MAO-B inhibition, will let you know how it works.

#40 Vieno

• 187 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

I think cat's claw made my heart rate fluctuate oddly, nothing striking but a bit odd. Might be simply by lowering blood pressure, HR always got high when I stood. It was like, normally when I stand doing nothing my HR is around 80, now it was 100. Too bad I didn't have a BP monitor at hand.

2,5g of that Nature's Way Cat's Claw Bark did not make 100mg of PEA work, didn't continue experiments due to that odd HR. It might work with higher doses (of either or both).

#41 sid

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Would it be ok to take cat's claw with Vyvanse or Dextroamphetamine?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#42 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

Not sure what the purpose would be, I thought amphetamines shouldn't mix with an MAOI? I too take Vyvanse but have decide to stop it for a few days to see if I can handle it without it. I have some cat's claw that I haven't used yet but I think someone mentioned to me that it's great for skin, is that true?

Would it be ok to take cat's claw with Vyvanse or Dextroamphetamine?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cats claw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users