- - - - -

Anyone tried Maca?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

would you guys say that this increases or decreases cognition?  the 3-4 beers thing has me worried!

If you're talking about my post, that was strictly from a sexual angle. I've never noticed any significant cognitive effect from it.

#32 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:23 AM

I have maca all the time (well, a heaped teaspoon a day). I dont know if its the maca or the tribulus (or both) But I feel much more confident and outgoing while on it. (I am of a shy nature so can notice that sort of effect much more).

I dont have a girlfriend at the moment though to make use of their other benefits so dont know much about the aspect other than I want to make good use of them more than I ordinarily would!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Nice. Does it have immediate effect i.e. a few hours after ingestion or would one need to build up over time?

#34 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:22 AM

A few hours after taking it I feel more 'energised'. Not so much in a physical/stamina type way but in a mental way. The full effects are a bit more gradual (at least for me)

#35 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:01 AM

Cool.

Welcome to the world of herb tonics. As I can see maca is very fast acting, hence its popularity. From my personal experience nothing come close to tonics for mind/energy boosting. It usually takes 2 weeks for me to notice the changes in my body/mind and after a month I start to become the person I always wanted to be kind of thing (I too am a bit introverted). But you have to take the rignt herbs in the right dose.

In my experience Rodiola is great for the first couple of days but level off pretty fast. My favorit is Amla berries (Chyawanprash). Or ashwagandhadi leyam. Those two are a combination of herbs and gives the same kind of effects. They are used to circulate energy throughout the body.

Now I like what I read about maca. Thanks for the info.

#36 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:22 AM

Gelatinized maca is indeed the best form of this substance. It is highly recommended for those over 40 in my book for a general body invigoration effect. The starch is removed in the Gelatinized version and is easy to take and can be baked into other items like fudge, cookies, or cakes. It can also make a decent smoothie if you are adding chocolate as a base.

Not much mental effect except for increased vigor. It mostly acts on the body. The sexual effects are a lot like tribulus.

#37 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:01 AM

All very interesting.

I have ordered a bag (250g) and will try out for a month. Equally, if not more, interesting will be how/if it works with my wife. She is Perimenopausal and it will great if it can live up to half its claims of being an alternative to HRT ie improving glandular and subsequently hormonal funtionality rather than "replacing" the hormones with phytosterols etc from Black cahosh and the usual crowd.

If it works for her it will make both our lives a lot happier ;)

Sentinel

#38 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Quick update:

I have been taking a good tablespoon + most days and my wife has been attempting to choke down a heaped teaspoon bu tshe doesn't get on with the taste. I have noticed a subtle bacground energy especially in the evenings when i might otherwise fizzle out, although this could be placebo. I've bought another 500gm bag which is a bit less bitter and will try and spoon a bit more down the wife as "recommended doses" from different firms and individuals seem to vary between 1 teaspoon and 4 tablespoons!

In terms of quality, is there likely to be a massive variation in potency from supplier to supplier (provided they're not cutting it with flour!) and has anyone tried the extract/concentrate forms?

Sentinel

#39 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:45 PM

heh, nice...

Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2007 Feb 27; [Epub ahead of print]

The Influence of Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on Antioxidant Status, Lipid
and Glucose Metabolism in Rat.

Vecera R, Orolin J, Skottova N, Kazdova L, Oliyarnik O, Ulrichova J,
Simanek V.

Institute of Pharmacology, Medical Faculty, Palacky University,
Hnevotinska 3, 775 15, Olomouc, Czech Republic, vecera@seznam...cz

This work focused on the effect of maca on lipid, anti-oxidative, and
glucose parameters in hereditary hypertriglyceridemic (HHTg) rat. Maca
(1%) was administred to rats as a part of a high-sucrose diet (HSD)
for 2 weeks. Rosiglitazone (0.02%) was used as a positive control.
Maca significantly decreased the levels of VLDL (very low density
lipoproteins), LDL (low density lipoproteins), and total cholesterol,
and also the level of TAG (triacylglycerols) in the plasma, VLDL, and
liver. Maca, as well as rosiglitazone, significantly improved glucose
tolerance, as the decrease of AUC (area under the curve) of glucose
showed, and lowered levels of glucose in blood. The activity of SOD
(superoxide dismutase) in the liver, the GPX (glutathione peroxidase)
in the blood, and the level of GSH (glutathione) in liver increased in
all cases significantly. Results demonstrate that maca seems to be
promising for a positive influence on chronic human diseases
(characterized by atherogenous lipoprotein profile, aggravated
antioxidative status, and impaired glucose tolerance), and their
prevention.

PMID: 17333395 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
  • like x 1

#40 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

I tried maca for the first time yesterday and it gives me a great sense of mental energy and focus, confidence and wellbeing, I am enjoying it's antidepressant effects.

#41 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

Maca is cool but you have to take a lot of it to get an effect.

#42 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

How much do you consider a lot? I have been taking 1 teaspoon twice a day. I should give more a go to see what it does.

#43 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

Do you build up tolerance to maca? ie in time does it's effects go down and more is required to get the same effect?

#44 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

Yes maca should be cycled as with other supplements

#45 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

Do you build up tolerance to maca? ie in time does it's effects go down and more is required to get the same effect?

I haven't cycled it, and it still works well for me. I have yet to see evidence that adaptogens need to be cycled, I think people just get used to it psychologically (and probably push themselves more too).

#46 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

The Maca I have is from Now Foods (500 mg capsules). The maximum I took is 1500 mg and I didn't notice anything. How much should I take?

#47 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:17 AM

2 grams usually gives an effect for me however the effect builds up, as in take it regularly for a week or so and you will get more of an effect

#48 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

The Maca I have is from Now Foods (500 mg capsules). The maximum I took is 1500 mg and I didn't notice anything. How much should I take?

I take 2 tablespoons (not teaspoons) as do many others. Are you taking extract/concentrate otherwise you may well not feel much?

It also depends on what you are looking to achieve ie increased sex drive, general "well being" or just a good superfood source of many nutrients.

#49 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

I suppose it's a extract:
Maca from Now Foods

What's the best form? You have a brand to suggest?

#50 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

Looks just like the root powder. The brand I use is "certified organic" and is here: http://www.detoxyour...talog/maca.html

I use this brand because it seems legit, organic and it tastes better than others I have tried. Depending on where you are based (I'm in the UK) it may not be financially viable to order it, but on the other side the amount you get in powder form vs caps is massively cheaper, pound for pound, and more versatile.

The site gives a lot of information (factual and anecdotal) as well as some quite advanced tree hugging.

#51 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Looks just like the root powder.

So, it's not good?

#52 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

No, I'm sure it's fine but I think the dose is probably rather low for any marked effect. These aren't drugs so sometimes you have to take more and as you said, you haven't "felt" anything yet. No need to bin them, you might just need to take a few more!

...Also there is the possibility that even if you moved up to a tablespoon or 2 you still might not gain a noticeable benefit, not everyone does.

#53 macanizer

• 53 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

Am@zon has a 1 lb bag of Navita's maca powder for $15.13. Check your goldbox though, I found it in there for $14.37 (probably because I bought Navita cacao nibs from them before)

#54 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

Has anyone used Maca root, while working out. Any performance differences, strength gains, body comp, intensity, focus, muscle gain, etc.?

#55 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

New abstracts on Maca, below. There are variations of red,black, etc. One study shows it has estrogenic activity at the receptor. Seemingly many herbs that do are anticarcinogenic, anti-osteoporotic effects and lower cholesterol. There is some inhibition of prostatic hypertrophy...DHT inhibition? I'd like to discuss mechanisms.

Asian J Androl. 2007 Mar;9(2):245-51. Links
Effect of two different extracts of red maca in male rats with testosterone-induced prostatic hyperplasia.Gonzales GF, Vasquez V, Rodriguez D, Maldonado C, Mormontoy J, Portella J, Pajuelo M, Villegas L, Gasco M.
Biological and Physiological Sciences, Cayetano Heredia University, Lima, Peru. iiad@upch.edu.pe

AIM: To determine the effect of two different extracts of red maca in male rats. METHODS: Prostatic hyperplasia was induced in male rats with testosterone enanthate (TE). The study comprised six groups: one control group (group 1), one group treated with TE (group 2), two groups treated with TE and aqueous extract of red maca (groups 3 and 4), one group treated with hydroalcoholic extract of red maca (group 5) and one group treated with finasteride (0.1 mg, group 6). Differences in the aqueous extract dependent on the length of time of boiling, whether for 2 or 3 hours, for groups 3 and 4 was assessed. Extracts of red maca contained 0.1 mg of benzylglucosinolate. Thereafter, a dose-response effect of different doses of benzylglucosinolates (0.02-0.08 mg) in red maca extracts was assessed. RESULTS: Prostate weight was similar in rats treated with freeze-dried aqueous extract of red maca prepared after 2 and 3 hours of boiling. Freeze-dried aqueous extract of red maca, hydroalcoholic extract of red maca and finasteride reduced prostate weight in rats with prostatic hyperplasia. No difference was observed between the data obtained from aqueous extract or hydroalcoholic extract of red maca. A dose dependent reduction of prostate weight was observed with the increase of the dose of benzylglucosinolates in red maca extracts. CONCLUSION: The present study showed that hydroalcoholic or aqueous extract of red maca containing 0.1 mg of benzylglucosinolate can reduce prostate size in male rats in which prostatic hyperplasia had been induced by TE.

PMID: 17334591 [PubMed - in process]
Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2007 Feb 27; [Epub ahead of print] Links
The Influence of Maca (Lepidium meyenii) on Antioxidant Status, Lipid and Glucose Metabolism in Rat.Vecera R, Orolin J, Skottova N, Kazdova L, Oliyarnik O, Ulrichova J, Simanek V.
Institute of Pharmacology, Medical Faculty, Palacky University, Hnevotinska 3, 775 15, Olomouc, Czech Republic, vecera@seznam.cz.

This work focused on the effect of maca on lipid, anti-oxidative, and glucose parameters in hereditary hypertriglyceridemic (HHTg) rat. Maca (1%) was administred to rats as a part of a high-sucrose diet (HSD) for 2 weeks. Rosiglitazone (0.02%) was used as a positive control. Maca significantly decreased the levels of VLDL (very low density lipoproteins), LDL (low density lipoproteins), and total cholesterol, and also the level of TAG (triacylglycerols) in the plasma, VLDL, and liver. Maca, as well as rosiglitazone, significantly improved glucose tolerance, as the decrease of AUC (area under the curve) of glucose showed, and lowered levels of glucose in blood. The activity of SOD (superoxide dismutase) in the liver, the GPX (glutathione peroxidase) in the blood, and the level of GSH (glutathione) in liver increased in all cases significantly. Results demonstrate that maca seems to be promising for a positive influence on chronic human diseases (characterized by atherogenous lipoprotein profile, aggravated
Andrologia. 2006 Oct;38(5):166-72. Links
Effect of Black maca (Lepidium meyenii) on one spermatogenic cycle in rats.Gonzales GF, Nieto J, Rubio J, Gasco M.
Instituto de Investigaciones de la Altura, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru.

Lepidium meyenii (Maca) grows exclusively between 4000 and 4500 m above sea level in the Peruvian central Andes. The hypocotyls of this plant are traditionally used in the Andean region for their supposed fertility-enhancing properties. The hypocotyls have different colours. Of these, Black maca has better effects on spermatogenesis. The present study aimed to test the hypothesis that Black maca has early effects during a spermatogenic cycle (12 days) of male rats. For this, testicular spermatid, epididymal sperm and vas deferens sperm counts were measured after 1, 3, 5, 7 and 12 days of treatment with Black maca. Aqueous extract of Black maca was given orally by daily gavage at a dose of 2 g kg(-1). In a spermatogenic cycle, compared with day 1, daily sperm production (DSP) was lower at day 7 (control), whereas with Black maca, the difference was observed at day 12. Epididymal sperm count was higher in rats treated with Black maca at days 1, 3 and 7, but similar to controls at days 5 and 12; similarly sperm counts in vas deferens was higher in rats treated with Black maca in days 3, 5 and 7, but similar to controls at days 1 and 12. From this, it is suggested that first action of Black maca was at epididymal level increasing sperm count after 1 day of treatment, whereas an increase in sperm count was observed in vas deferens at day 3 of treatment. Finally, an increase in DSP was observed after 7 days of treatment with Black maca. Testicular testosterone was not affected after 7 days treatment with Black maca. In conclusion, Black maca affects sperm count as early as 1 day after beginning of treatment.

PMID: 16961569 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Cell Biol Toxicol. 2006 Mar;22(2):91-9. Epub 2006 Mar 9. Links
The in vitro biological activity of Lepidium meyenii extracts.Valentova K, Buckiova D, Kren V, Peknicova J, Ulrichova J, Simanek V.
Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky University, Olomouc. valentova@email.cz

The biological activity of methanolic and aqueous extracts from dehydrated hypocotyls of Lepidium meyenii (Brassicaceae, vernacular name "maca"), was studied on rat hepatocytes and human breast cancer MCF-7 cells. The extracts did not exhibit cytotoxicity in hepatocyte primary cultures up to 10 mg/ml as measured by the MTT viability test, and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) leakage. Moreover, after 72 h, extracts inhibited LDH and AST leakage from the hepatocytes. When hepatocytes were intoxicated by t-butyl hydroperoxide, neither extract prevented oxidative damage. Both extracts showed weak antioxidant activity in the DPPH radical scavenging test with IC(50) values of 3.46 +/- 0.16 and 0.71 +/- 0.10 mg/ml, for aqueous and methanolic extracts, respectively. Thus, the observed effect on spontaneous enzyme leakage is probably mediated through mechanisms other than antioxidant activity. Both methanolic and aqueous extracts have shown estrogenic activity comparable with that of silymarin in MCF-7 cell line. Maca estrogenicity was exhibited in the range from 100 to 200 mug of extract per ml. The findings in the present study show that maca does not display in vitro hepatotoxicity. In contrast, a slight cytoprotective effect, probably not mediated by antioxidant capacity, was noted. Maca extracts exhibited estrogenic activity comparably to the effect of silymarin in MCF-7 cells.

J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Apr 21;105(1-2):274-9. Epub 2006 Feb 8. Links
Effect of ethanol extract of Lepidium meyenii Walp. on osteoporosis in ovariectomized rat.Zhang Y, Yu L, Ao M, Jin W.
School of Life Science & Technology, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, 430074 Wuhan, PR China.

Maca (Lepidium meyenii Walp.) is a cruciferous plant from the Andes of Peru. The root of Maca is traditionally employed for its supposed properties in aphrodisiacs and improving fertility, it also has been widely used to help alleviate the symptoms of menopause. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of ethanol extract of Maca on postmenopausal osteoporosis in ovariectomized rats. Female Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into four groups: Sham-operated and ovariectomized groups were fed with equivolume of distilled water, and the remaining ovariectomized groups were orally administrated with ethanol extract of Maca at 0.096 and 0.24 g/kg for 28 weeks. The findings derived from the basis of bone mineral density, biomechanical, biochemical and histopathological parameters indicated that higher dose of ethanol extract of Maca was effective in the prevention of estrogen deficient bone loss.

#56 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

I have tried maca (from different brands and origins) with no impact greater than placebo.

Cheers

Alex

#57 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

I tried "Maca monster" from that poorly coded website. I noticed it was much more potent yet didn't taste as bitter as the other kinds of maca I've tried. One day I accidentally pressed the hot water button on my water dispenser and it seemed to burn the maca, making it taste bitter like other brands. I wonder if the way others process the maca causes some of the nutritional value to be destroyed.

#58 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:34 AM

Risk being slightly off topic - I have tried Tongkat Ali - with some good (on range from 0-10 it was a 6)result.

Cheers

Best regards

Alex

#59 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

I tried "Maca monster" from that poorly coded website. I noticed it was much more potent yet didn't taste as bitter as the other kinds of maca I've tried. One day I accidentally pressed the hot water button on my water dispenser and it seemed to burn the maca, making it taste bitter like other brands. I wonder if the way others process the maca causes some of the nutritional value to be destroyed.

I just tried the Maca monster as well. it seems this version is raw versus the totally burnt tasting varieties out there. It worked better than other brands I´ve used, and, it didn´t give me a headache at higher doses. The effect has lasted, so far, for 3 straight days on 1 tablespoon and the boost in libido is very exciting.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Healthy56

• 39 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

I haven't cycled it, and it still works well for me. I have yet to see evidence that adaptogens need to be cycled, I think people just get used to it psychologically (and probably push themselves more too).

I'm always baffled at why people continue to buy NOW Foods products . . . I had a similar experience with their Maca root, and their Rhodiola just gave me a headache. I really wouldn't consider this brand a top brand -- no way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users