- - - - -

Anyone tried Maca?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

Do you build up tolerance to maca? ie in time does it's effects go down and more is required to get the same effect?

I haven't cycled it, and it still works well for me. I have yet to see evidence that adaptogens need to be cycled, I think people just get used to it psychologically (and probably push themselves more too).

I'm always baffled at why people continue to buy NOW Foods products . . . I had a similar experience with their Maca root, and their Rhodiola just gave me a headache. I really wouldn't consider this brand a top brand -- no way.

I tried some NOW products that were no good but most have been ok.

#62 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Do you build up tolerance to maca? ie in time does it's effects go down and more is required to get the same effect?

I haven't cycled it, and it still works well for me. I have yet to see evidence that adaptogens need to be cycled, I think people just get used to it psychologically (and probably push themselves more too).

I'm always baffled at why people continue to buy NOW Foods products . . . I had a similar experience with their Maca root, and their Rhodiola just gave me a headache. I really wouldn't consider this brand a top brand -- no way.

I tried some NOW products that were no good but most have been ok.

This stuff sounds pretty awesome. I gotta get me some Maca!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

I've experimented extensively with Maca, and so have members of my family. While we all found it had positive effects on energy levels and libido, it also caused a rather unsightly outbreak of acne, on both me, my dad and my sister, so I just avoid it now.
  • like x 1

#64 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

I've experimented extensively with Maca, and so have members of my family. While we all found it had positive effects on energy levels and libido, it also caused a rather unsightly outbreak of acne, on both me, my dad and my sister, so I just avoid it now.

I find NOW to be quality for most things, and I see them getting trashed here a bit. With your extensive experience did you find their extract lower quality than others?

#65 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Did you ever suffer from acne before you took Maca? If that was a random flare up from nowhere I would certainly tread carefully with it if I were to try it... Acne is not welcome on my face! ;)

Also with regards to libido how dramatic were the effects in your opinion? I have also heard great things about Tongkat Ali. I don't have problems with libido but am interested in having agents in my possesion that can be used on an 'as needed basis'.

Edited by Thorsten, 10 April 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#66 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Did you ever suffer from acne before you took Maca? If that was a random flare up from nowhere I would certainly tread carefully with it if I were to try it... Acne is not welcome on my face! ;)

Also with regards to libido how dramatic were the effects in your opinion? I have also heard great things about Tongkat Ali. I don't have problems with libido but am interested in having agents in my possesion that can be used on an 'as needed basis'.

Well for me, I had previously suffered with acne and still do in a very mild way if I let slip with my cleansing regime. So for me it wasn't too unusual, but certainly unwelcome and made me feel like I was back in my teens! My sister and father have never had acne, and have perfectly clear skin, I've never known my dad to have a spot in his life. But the maca completely changed his complexion, so he was blotchy and had small cysts appearing all over his lower face. When I told him it was probably the Maca he was relieved, as he had been examining his lifestyle for possible triggers. The outbreak completely subsided a week after stopping the Maca, and he was mostly clear within two weeks. Although of course the lesions take time to heal.

I stopped the Maca before it had a significant effect on my libido, since it caused an acne breakout after only a few days for me, it took substantially longer in my father. For me, all I noticed was that I became sexually aroused far more easily, this could be inconvenient at times. My father reported that he became preoccupied with sex, and would think about it all the time to the point of distraction, it actually began affecting his job performance because of this. He also reported that when he did engage in intercourse, he lasted substantially longer then usual and his erection was more consistent, which he occasionally has problems with. He was tempted to cheat on his girlfriend multiple times during his usage of Maca, which is not normally something that he would even consider.

#67 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:14 AM

He was tempted to cheat on his girlfriend multiple times during his usage of Maca, which is not normally something that he would even consider.

Feel the power of the Inca! jeje
  • like x 1

#68 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

He was tempted to cheat on his girlfriend multiple times during his usage of Maca, which is not normally something that he would even consider.

Feel the power of the Inca! jeje

Haha this sounds like some other shit! I mean I don't wanna be walking around wanting to hump everything but it sounds like something I could use occasionally or when I need to do some damage in the bedroom. I already have Barry White on my stereo there will be no stopping me now ;)

#69 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

Here are some fairly trials in humans.

A double-blind, randomized, pilot dose-finding study of maca root (L. meyenii) for the management of SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction, PMID 18801111:

We sought to determine whether maca, a Peruvian plant, is effective for selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)-induced sexual dysfunction. We conducted a double-blind, randomized, parallel group dose-finding pilot study comparing a low-dose (1.5 g/day) to a high-dose (3.0 g/day) maca regimen in 20 remitted depressed outpatients (mean age 36+/-13 years; 17 women) with SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. The Arizona Sexual Experience Scale (ASEX) and the Massachusetts General Hospital Sexual Function Questionnaire (MGH-SFQ) were used to measure sexual dysfunction. Ten subjects completed the study, and 16 subjects (9 on 3.0 g/day; 7 on 1.5 g/day) were eligible for intent-to-treat (ITT) analyses on the basis of having had at least one postbaseline visit. ITT subjects on 3.0 g/day maca had a significant improvement in ASEX (from 22.8+/-3.8 to 16.9+/-6.2; z=-2.20, P=0.028) and in MGH-SFQ scores (from 24.1+/-1.9 to 17.0+/-5.7; z=-2.39, P=0.017), but subjects on 1.5 g/day maca did not. Libido improved significantly (P<0.05) for the ITT and completer groups based on ASEX item #1, but not by dosing groups. Maca was well tolerated. Maca root may alleviate SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction, and there may be a dose-related effect. Maca may also have a beneficial effect on libido.

Some beneficial effects were seen at 3.0g/day that were absent at 1.5g/day.

PMID 19260845 dealt with men with mild ED. They used 2.4g/day.

Lepidium meyenii (Maca) is a cultivated root belonging to the brassica family used in the Andean region for its supposed aphrodisiac properties. We carried out a double-blind clinical trial on 50 Caucasian men affected by mild erectile dysfunction (ED), randomised to treatment with Maca dry extract, 2400 mg, or placebo. The treatment effect on ED and subjective well-being was tested administrating before and after 12 weeks the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5) and the Satisfaction Profile (SAT-P). After 12 weeks of treatment, both Maca- and placebo-treated patients experienced a significant increase in IIEF-5 score (P < 0.05 for both). However, patients taking Maca experienced a more significant increase than those taking placebo (1.6 +/- 1.1 versus 0.5 +/- 0.6, P < 0.001). Both Maca- and placebo-treated subjects experienced a significant improvement in psychological performance-related SAT-P score, but the Maca group higher than that of placebo group (+9 +/- 6 versus +6 +/- 5, P < 0.05). However, only Maca-treated patients experienced a significant improvement in physical and social performance-related SAT-P score compared with the baseline (+7 +/- 6 and +7 +/- 6, both P < 0.05). In conclusion, our data support a small but significant effect of Maca supplementation on subjective perception of general and sexual well-being in adult patients with mild ED.

Perhaps 3g is a good minimum dosage. I like the earthy taste maca has.

Edited by stephen_b, 09 June 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#70 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

I like the earthy taste maca has.

Really? I find mine to be pretty foul (quite like cheesy feet)...What do you use it with?

Edited by Thorsten, 09 June 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#71 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

I mix it in the blender, something like:

1 very heaping tablespoon of maca
4 oz heavy cream
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
4 tablespoons of Fage yogurt
pinch of cinnamon
some ice

Yummy.

Edited by stephen_b, 10 June 2010 - 04:23 PM.

• like x 1

#72 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

For a while, I experimented with 1-2 tablespoons of Maca on an empty stomach.
The first phase is a very pleasant buzz/relaxation in the groin after an hour, but after a few hours I feel REALLY cold - also got ill one time outdoors when the cold phase kicked in.

I wonder, did anyone else notice this coldness?

Edited by shp5, 27 November 2010 - 09:03 PM.

#73 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I may have to give this Monster Maca a try, after reading anecdotals from this thread.

Personally, I still take Maca. I have done for the last three years, on and off. I also take 2tbs of Bee Pollen, each day. My vitality and sex drive has never been better.

#74 starlight_starbright

• 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I disallowed my husband from taking any more Maca after it increased his libido beyond my ability to deal with it....!!!
  • like x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#75 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I tried eating maca powder some years ago, didn't notice a thing.

Peruvian Maca: Does It Really Increase Energy and Sex Drive?

In a 12-week double-blind study, men aged between 21 and 56 years received 1,500 mg or 3,000 mg of maca. After 8 weeks, the maca group reported improvements in sexual desire. The subjects were also asked to evaluate their depression and anxiety to see whether they correlated with the sexual desire evaluations. Neither of these factors however explained the reported improvement in libido.

In another paper by the same authors, hormone level differences between the maca-fed group and the placebo group were analyzed. No changes were noticed in any of the hormone levels studied - including testosterone. Correcting hormonal imbalances with maca, as some doctors apparently do, thus seems useless. The reported improvements in sexual desire appear not to be due to changes in hormone levels but to something else.

When the same amount of maca (1,500 mg or 3,000 mg per day) was given to nine male subjects, seminal volume, sperm counts and sperm motility improved. Again, the results were not due to changes in hormone levels.

The Effect of Maca Root on Energy and Libido – Experiment Conclusion

One of the studies mentioned that the only type of maca that showed benefits was "red maca". Yellow and black maca had no effect on prostate size. The maca powder I purchased was clearly yellow, which could be one reason I didn't notice much.

Which products would you recommend?

#76 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Are there any recommendations regarding Maca extracts available from iHerb? I am messing around with the 500mg caps from NOW with limited effect so far (I think their herbals are pretty hit and miss)...

#77 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I typically buy maca powder in bulk from my local health store, tried it years ago with success and gave it a retrial after reading this thread. It works almost like clockwork; libido is enhanced 12-36 hours after ingestion in the morning. Energy levels seem to be up as well (both in terms of daily activities and ergogenicly), though that's tough to conclude given I was dosing ashwagandha before and during my maca trial. Would have to isolate them both, but honestly they seem to synergise and work well together and I'm not sure I want to isolate the variables yet :)

#78 figure9

• 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

I tried Maca Man (GNC brand "male enhancer") and had an interesting reaction.

At first felt really charged up and sort of out of body, much like a runner's high, followed by the shakes and a painful hiccup spell that lasted for hours. Ironic since I'm half Peruvian...

Despite the side effects, I will say it did good things for sex drive and spontaneous, lasting 'male enhancement.'

#79 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

Maca is good stuff. I recommend the organic, gelatinized Maca powder, and you can you just mix it into a protein drink or water (if you can acquire the earthy taste). I definitely noticed a boost in my stamina while hiking steep mountains, and noticed a general sexual boost as well. If I weren't already taking several other adaptogens, I'd be using it. When I run out of my current powders, I'll starting taking it again. It's also a decent source of iodine and other things.

#80 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Any new reports and experiences with MACA ? I've just bought a box of powder, been taking 2 big tablespoons in the morning for the last 2 days. I haven't noticed anything really yet.

#81 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

4 days now on Maca ( 2 huge tablespoons , morning, on empty stomach ) . Can't notice anything at all...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#82 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Does maca have any strange side effects?
Im not too interested i the sexual effects but in general positive effects on health.
I read somewhere that it does not do waht it does via hormones but it strengthens the immune system.

Whats a good price for kg/ two pounds in dollars or euros?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users