• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

UK Immortalists

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Malpoet

• 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 03:26 PM

Sad to see nothing in this region.

Is there anybody in the UK interested in life extension, immortalism, transhumanism, etc.

[?]

#2 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 12:40 AM

@BJKlein: see, Cowboy- that is why you usually don't just create a forum two hours after this has been suggested to you in passing, but LAUNCH them carefully... ;))

@Malpoet: there are quite a few- do not worry. There might be even more if you invite them over. This baby subsection of a very young forum needs some time to grow, become known and acknowledged
And it will become popular only if interesting posts follow... feel free to make a start! :) Are you based in the UK yourself?

#3 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the compliment Caliban. I'd like to fancy myself as a rustler in the purest western American sense. Lets just hope I don't get to big for my britches.

I consider ImmInst an extension of my/our brain, interconnected and alive, and as such, some dendritic connections will grow and some will atrophy as threads/forums spring up and consume. But, as I'm a little scatterbrained, it's nice to have you, Caliban, a jolt of reality and a welcome antidote to any precancerous growth.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 estropico

• 107 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 11:07 AM

Malpoet said:

>Sad to see nothing in this region.
>
>Is there anybody in the UK interested in life extension, immortalism, >transhumanism, etc.

Here I am! :)

Well, here's a few links you should find useful in case you haven't come across them already (their existence may also explain why things are a bit quiet on this specific channel):

The British Transhumanist Association:

http://groups.yahoo....oup/btameeting/

ExtroBritannia, my own little effort. We meet monthly (more or less) in central London for lunch and transhumanist discussions:

http://groups.yahoo....extrobritannia/

And, of course, the two cryonics groups active in the UK:

http://www.cryonics-europe.org/ce.htm

http://www.alcor-uk.com

Cheers,
Fabio

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 11:17 AM

Fabio,
Thank you! As you can tell, we've just opened up the Regional Forums. It's a little quiet at the moment. Soon to change I hope.

#6 Malpoet

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for that Estropico.

I have subscribed to BTAmeeting. Unfortunately I cannot get to London for the meetings.

Regards

Malcolm

#7 estropico

• 107 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:58 AM

>I have subscribed to BTAmeeting. Unfortunately
>I cannot get to London for the meetings.

Well, the idea behind the ExtroBritannia mailing list is to provide a networking tool for transhumanists across Britain. So far the only "cluster" to emerge was in London (I guess size matters in this case...), but we have only been going for a few months so there is still hope for other "clusters" to pop up here and there... If you cannot make it to London, there might be other extropians, transhumanists, immortalists, life-extensionists, etc in your area.

Cheers,
Fabio

#8 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:27 PM

I would be delighted to help setting up a simmilar group in the Yorkshire region.
Sheffield, Leeds, York, Liverpool, Manchester?

drop me a line if you are interessted.

Btw. if you ever do make it to London, it is well worth dropping by.
I found the collection of charakters a very unique one.
Cyborgs, Philosophers, Blabbermouths, Gendertranscenders, CR people, Kryonicists...
even met a guest from the US working at the Singularity Institute. lol

#9 estropico

• 107 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 10:01 PM

>even met a guest from the US working at the Singularity Institute.

I remember him too. That was our "Staying alive" meeting. Who are you then, Caliban? Did we meet? That was one of our most attended meeting (about 20 people) and the problem in those circumstances is that you only get to meet some of the people...

>I would be delighted to help setting up a similar group in the Yorkshire region.
>Sheffield, Leeds, York, Liverpool, Manchester?
>
>drop me a line if you are interessted.

I would be absolutely delighted to see another "cluster" emerge and would be happy to help. Are you on the ExtroBritannia mailing list? If you are, please feel free to post a message there for people in your area, the list is there exactly to be a networking tool for UK-based transhumanists. If you aren't on the list, let me invite you to join. Or we can discuss the whole idea either on or off list, or here, if you prefer!

Cheers,
Fabio

#10 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 05:07 AM

Hey Fabio. Apologies for overlooking this post.
No, we talked only very briefly at that meeting.
I thought I was on the mailing list, (because I get your announcements in triplicate ;)) ) but I just checked and am not. Applied now. Thanks for the invite!
Lets discuss networking on the list, - but I hope that people with a preference for forums and a vague interest in life extension will also find their way here.

#11 80srich

• 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:24 PM

Cant believe there are so few other life extensionist in the UK.

#12 transtigger

• 15 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:51 PM

Cant believe there are so few other life extensionist in the UK.

There are quite a few of us around. I guess we just lurk a lot...

But I'm rather hoping this weekends IABG 10th Congress might smoke a few more out of the woodwork ;)

Julian

#13 80srich

• 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:12 PM

With so many people who diet to stay healthy and live longer in the UK its obvious that people would sign up for greater longevity. Maybe as biotech and nano tech improve our numbers will grow.

#14 transtigger

• 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 06:09 PM

With so many people who diet to stay healthy and live longer in the UK its obvious that people would sign up for greater longevity. Maybe as biotech and nano tech improve our numbers will grow.

Unfortunately I don't think its that obvious.

A large number of people diet for vanity reasons only. They want to look slimmer to conform to the current societal fad for what constitutes beauty. I suspect there would be many who would accept a slight shortening of their life span in order to obtain this ‘ideal figure’!

I could be wrong, but it is my feeling that the majority of non H^ dieting is for slimming and looking good, not for longevity reasons.

A lot more education needs to be done…

Julian

#15 80srich

• 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 12:50 AM

We need a strong result in humans or chimpanzee test subjects. If we just had something concrete that couldnt be swayed... Maybe when the first age retardent drugs get through it can begin. as it is even slowing the aging process is often regarded as insanity. Vanity argh...i dont even like to think how much our society is prey to this menace, people who care so much about they look to the point of shortening their lifespan really are oblivious to what really matters.

#16 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

Higher. I'm in the U.K., living longer and looking better for it too. Vanity was the start of my life extension, that and pure hedonism. There are more people with an active interest in life extension in the U.K. than you may think, the raw food movement for example, not that i am a raw foodist.
I think there is lacking a social scene for the health conscious beyond the local gym or health spar in the U.K. and there is no need for a preventative medicinal social conscience as we dont have to pay for our health care like in the states. Things are deffinately changing for the better though.

#17 kali_ma

• 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:01 PM

I'm new to this whole thing by about five months, I'm not naturally scientic so I'm still bending my brain around it all. If anything crops up in the north of england I would be tres interested.

#18 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:25 PM

Hey. I would love to know if there is anyone here living in Nottingham or the Nottinghamshire region, where I'm at. Please do not hesitate to contact me :)

Thanks
Adam

#19 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:11 PM

I think I've resurrected an age-old thread here [lol]

#20 kali_ma

• 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:41 PM

Yes you have, but its good to know its not been entirely forgotten:)

#21 kali_ma

• 39 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

Biopunk, are you still out there?

I'm up in the north-east of England, thats close enough!!! Please reply, two UK immortalists corresponding is better than none!

#22 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

Oh, sorry Kali Ma. Sure, I would love have a correspondence with you :) . Do you happen to have MSN Messenger or anything similar? Send me a PM if you do not want to disclose it on the forums.

#23 kali_ma

• 39 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

Done and done!

#24 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

Another UK Imminster here guys, Northern Ireland though not mainland :D

#25 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

Hi, i'm from Cardiff in Wales :)

I think there are plenty of people interested in anti aging, it's just a shame that the majority rely on supplements or skin creams. I mean the anti aging market is bloody huge, and growing as people get older. The money isn't going in the right place though.

Aubrey De Grey is totally right, people just like to get aging out of their mind. People I know always said that to me when I was younger. Forget about it they said.

#26 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

Hey guys!

Another UK Imminster here guys, Northern Ireland though not mainland :D

Ah, hello there, Ed'! :)

Hi, i'm from Cardiff in Wales

I think there are plenty of people interested in anti aging, it's just a shame that the majority rely on supplements or skin creams. I mean the anti aging market is bloody huge, and growing as people get older. The money isn't going in the right place though.

Aubrey De Grey is totally right, people just like to get aging out of their mind. People I know always said that to me when I was younger. Forget about it they said.

Hi! Good point, but skincare is very important. Alot of people want to get aging out of their minds because they do not know that cutting edge movements like Immortalism and radical anti-aging research (apart from the odd Q10 skincream advert on television, et cetera) exists at all; but the Immortality meme will reach alot more before much of what is planned will be implemented.

I like that track you posted about, by the way. It is very good [thumb]. I am a passionate musician and music lover myself.

I would love to meet up with you all, but the feasability of it actually happening is rather questionable considering how far apart we live from each other.

#27 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

Hmmm, I wonder what happened to Malpoet...

#28 fruser

• Guest, F@H
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hmmm, I wonder what happened to Malpoet...

I'm from UK...I'm not a scientist and don't have a great understanding of complex theories but I do support life extension and any technologies that improve ourselves and our lives. I'm based in Walsall, not far from Birmingham.

#29 fruser

• Guest, F@H
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

I'm from UK...I'm not a scientist and don't have a great understanding of complex theories but I do support life extension and any technologies that improve ourselves and our lives. I'm based in Walsall, not far from Birmingham. Excuse double post...accidently quoted someone.

Edited by dystopiadogess, 16 April 2009 - 11:37 AM.

#30 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Forum membership grows everyday, but grows quickest when existing members network and act as life extension advocates on other forums and in wider life. Invite people to join the forum, post a hello on this thread, the more of us there are, the more our voice will be heard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users