• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Fantasize - u have lots of $$, are 27 - how would u use this money to keep your looks?

money preserve youthful look

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 ViolettVol

• 275 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hey, it's Christmas, time, everyone can fantasize, besiedes I read somewhere on this forum that with the right determination and proper amount of money one could stay wrinkle free for a long time.
So. combining your scientific/anecdotal knowledge, which topicals. supplements -herbs, anything would u use to preserve the look u have at 27-30 or to reverse it to that age, but primarily preserve.

PLEASE ONLY SERIOUS RESPONSES, this is and XMAS fantasy based on what we know but sometimes have no access to due to financial stuff.
Could be fun, no?
Donating points to the most helpful answer::)
  • like x 1

#2 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

I would exercise, but wouldnt exagerate, do some yoga, pilates and stuff like that.
When it comes to topicals, I'm still looking for something, so shoot ( also supplements, nutrition,....)
Wouldnt use botox or fillers, makes people look fake.
I'm hoping to find more answers in this topic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

At the moment as a person with little cash, I spend diddly squat on looking younger and would only be bothered if it was something that could stop my aging as opposed to just improving the packaging. I'm more interested in spending what little I have on enjoying myself. It's okay looking beautiful but if I'm paying a bomb on the outer coating yet the rest of me crumbles away, I'd rather not bother.

If I were rich, I'd donate a good chunk to this cause and as Stefanovic said, exercise more. I currently do exercise but were I rich, I'd not have to work and would be able to invest a lot more time and energy into looking after my body. Would probably pay better attention to my diet too, as I'd not have to worry about expenses. I already do watch what I eat...even though I've over indulged due to Christmas. :p As to whether I'd be arsed to spend on keeping my outer shell youthful if given money, I know not. I'm quite lazy when it comes to my looks, hence my make-up regime is about fifteen minutes tops and I keep my hair short so I don't have to put time into it.

Edited by Droplet, 29 December 2011 - 09:45 PM.

• like x 1

#4 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

Face lift.
  • like x 1

#5 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Supplements that preserve your general health will also help maintain you on the outside more or less. Those are the supplements that upregulate your endogenous antioxidants (SOD, glutathione, catalase) will give you a glowing look and help skin resist damage. Pycnogenol is good (but expensive) one for that. But there are plenty of cheaper ways to get OPCs. OPCs will help to preserve skin by reducing glycation and preventing the breakdown of elastin. You then want something to increase collagen production and preserve elastin. Two examples here are hyaluronic acid (expensive and slightly elevated risk of cancer) and besides OPCS, green tea extract, EGCG. I have a hunch that olive leaf extract is even better than green tea extract, though it hasn't been studied as much. I really believe that everyone should be taking either green tea or olive leaf extract for general health.

Here are some skin-related supplements that I take:
l-lysine (collagen & general health)
beta-alanine (anti-glycation)
sodium ascorbate (anti-glycation & collagen production)
benfotiamine (glycation)
olive leaf extract (anti-glycation, preserve elastin)
fat soluble carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin, not too much)
hyaluronic acid and collagen for building up collagen
root and bark teas for OPCs

If I wasn't cheap I would add pycnogenol.

Exercise and nutrition are super important as Stefanovic has pointed out.

The above isn't so expensive. Where you'll really break the bank is topicals and injections, which IMO aren't worth it.

(Oh and remember that high cortisol will undermine everything else ;))
  • like x 1

#6 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

Sun avoidance, zinc oxide sunscreen, Vitamin C serum, Tretinoin, lycopene, astaxanthin, lutein, eat whole foods with plenty of veggies, dark berries, benfotiamine, beta-alanine, p5p, copper peptides, weight bearing exercises (bodyweight, barbells, etc.), aerobic work with short bursts of high intensity, facial exercises (flex effect, etc.) I'm leaving out some things...lol

#7 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

How about mesotherapy in a cosmetitian's office - you know injecting/needling skin with nutrients every now and then to prevent sag and wrinkles from forming? It's expensive and has to be repeated but if cash wasnt an issue... I've seen some effects on friends and WOW.

#8 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

@I kg coffe - how expensive is pycnogenol and what does it do for skin?AND what brand is worth buying ? I;m ignorant:/

#9 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

yeah you read about sooo many useful supplements, but you can't take all of them. I mean you can do it, but isnt there some sort of multi anti aging supplement that works?

#10 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

How about mesotherapy in a cosmetitian's office - you know injecting/needling skin with nutrients every now and then to prevent sag and wrinkles from forming? It's expensive and has to be repeated but if cash wasnt an issue... I've seen some effects on friends and WOW.

Home Derma rolling is soooooo much cheaper. Just have to know what your doing. I've been doing it for several months now.

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

Talk to FunkOdyssey and/or DukeNukem for somewhat expensive and well-researched regimens/tests/treatments.

Otherwise, eat good, exercise, don't overdo carbs or calories, get adequate sleep, and save your money to donate to research that will turn back the clock, not just slow down aging. Fight the good fight.
  • like x 2

#12 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

* vegetarian CRON diet
* he shou wu (fo-ti)
* Gu Sui Bu
* wu wei zi
* huang qi (astragalus root).
* resveratrol
These herbs are the cornerstone of my regimen for anti-aging/hair loss.
I believe them to be safer since they've been human tested and refined for longer than many other supplements.

#13 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

* he shou wu (fo-ti)
* Gu Sui Bu
* wu wei zi
* huang qi (astragalus root).

Where do you buy these? I know iHerb sells some of those in pill form, which online shop would you recommend? Thanks!

#14 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

Home Derma rolling is soooooo much cheaper. Just have to know what your doing. I've been doing it for several months now.

Yeah, I heard about it too, but there are so many sites that sell fake/faulty equipment for that - where do u buy your stuff if you would share the secret? :) And what products do you roll in?

#15 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, I heard about it too, but there are so many sites that sell fake/faulty equipment for that - where do u buy your stuff if you would share the secret? :) And what products do you roll in?

I think most of the rollers being sold work. It's the instructions for usage that is bizzare.
I buy mine on Ebay. I look for the cheapest price. It's worked for me. I pay around $9 total (including shipping). I mainly roll copper peptides.

The following links are great. Sarah's site is fantastic.

http://forum.owndoc....lling-frequency

http://forum.owndoc....g-Microneedling

http://www.skincaret...n-needling.html

http://www.essential...d.php?tid=22460

#16 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Supplements that preserve your general health will also help maintain you on the outside more or less. Those are the supplements that upregulate your endogenous antioxidants (SOD, glutathione, catalase) will give you a glowing look and help skin resist damage. Pycnogenol is good (but expensive) one for that. But there are plenty of cheaper ways to get OPCs. OPCs will help to preserve skin by reducing glycation and preventing the breakdown of elastin. You then want something to increase collagen production and preserve elastin. Two examples here are hyaluronic acid (expensive and slightly elevated risk of cancer) and besides OPCS, green tea extract, EGCG. I have a hunch that olive leaf extract is even better than green tea extract, though it hasn't been studied as much. I really believe that everyone should be taking either green tea or olive leaf extract for general health.

Here are some skin-related supplements that I take:
l-lysine (collagen & general health)
beta-alanine (anti-glycation)
sodium ascorbate (anti-glycation & collagen production)
benfotiamine (glycation)
olive leaf extract (anti-glycation, preserve elastin)
fat soluble carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin, not too much)
hyaluronic acid and collagen for building up collagen
root and bark teas for OPCs

If I wasn't cheap I would add pycnogenol.

Exercise and nutrition are super important as Stefanovic has pointed out.

The above isn't so expensive. Where you'll really break the bank is topicals and injections, which IMO aren't worth it.

(Oh and remember that high cortisol will undermine everything else ;))

Hi there!

I have a couple questions about some of those supplements. If you have the time to answer I'd really appreciate it.

What dose of beta-alanine do you use for anti-glycation? Also, as far as increased accumulation of lipofuscin with B-alanine, is that a concern you think is warranted? If so, what measures do you take to combat it?

Hyaluronic Acid, is it better to take this internally or is it more effective topically?

Thanks so much :)

#17 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

manic_racetam,
2-4 grams. As for lipofuscin, I'm not too worried being in my 20's. AGEs are a greater threat at this point. Also, I believe that the OPCs and fat soluble antioxidants I'm taking (root/barks, tocotrienols, lutein) are keeping the lipofuscin in check. That would be a good question for Michael Rae.

As for HA, I have no idea. Never tried it topically. If taken internally your body can use it for joints too, but if youve got the money why not try both?

ViolettVol,

@I kg coffe - how expensive is pycnogenol and what does it do for skin?AND what brand is worth buying ? I;m ignorant:/

I've never bought pycnogenol, instead I get OPCs from root/bark teas, or chewing cinnamon sticks. It's supposed to increase SOD production and bind to collagen, preventing it from being broken down or glycating. It's also anti-inflammatory. I went wild with cinnamon tea last year for a short time, boy did my skin glow!
The cheapest at iherb seems to be healthy origins brand
http://www.iherb.com...Vcaps/4128?at=0

You can buy true cinnamon as well as chinese herbs from mountainroseherbs.com. I doubt any of the herbs scott listed will have much of a noticeable effect on skin.

Another great one for skin is boiled grapefruit peel, but do not dare take it while on any prescription drug or tylenol.
  • like x 1

#18 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

manic_racetam,
2-4 grams. As for lipofuscin, I'm not too worried being in my 20's. AGEs are a greater threat at this point. Also, I believe that the OPCs and fat soluble antioxidants I'm taking (root/barks, tocotrienols, lutein) are keeping the lipofuscin in check. That would be a good question for Michael Rae.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. 2-4g's intuitively sounds kind of high. That's the same dosage used for body-building. I haven't found any dosage suggestions for the anti-AGE effects. Is the 2-4gs a widely accepted dosage? or how did you decide on that? Also, do you cycle that or is it a 365 days a year type deal?

Thanks again. I've got a bunch and I just started up again but was hoping to hit a sweet-spot with dosage focusing on the AGE side of things.

#19 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

manic_racetam,

As for HA, I have no idea. Never tried it topically. If taken internally your body can use it for joints too, but if youve got the money why not try both?

ViolettVol,

I've never bought pycnogenol, instead I get OPCs from root/bark teas, or chewing cinnamon sticks. It's supposed to increase SOD production and bind to collagen, preventing it from being broken down or glycating. It's also anti-inflammatory. I went wild with cinnamon tea last year for a short time, boy did my skin glow!
The cheapest at iherb seems to be healthy origins brand
http://www.iherb.com...Vcaps/4128?at=0

You can buy true cinnamon as well as chinese herbs from mountainroseherbs.com. I doubt any of the herbs scott listed will have much of a noticeable effect on skin.

Another great one for skin is boiled grapefruit peel, but do not dare take it while on any prescription drug or tylenol.

Thanks!
Wow, boiled grapefruit peel - just eat it ? Must be an interesting experience. And I just rememebered I read in some places tha if one wanted to enhance hypnotic effects of certain drugs, one should wash them down with grapefruit juice :)

#20 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

yes, grapefruit juice inhibits cyp3a4 in the liver.

http://en.wikipedia....d_by_grapefruit
  • like x 1

#21 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Violet,
Not the peel, but the juice that was boiled off. You're supposed to boil in the night before, then drink it in the morning. Excellent source of flavonoids. That recipe comes from Jack Lalanne. Haha I don't know if it would enhance the hypnotic effect, but it would certainly prolong it.

manic_racetam,
It's pretty average I think. The jar I'm taking taking recommends 6-8grams a day. Honestly, I'm just copying Michael Rae in the dosage (http://www.longecity...ills-fall-2009/). Only been taking it for about a month so far, and not every day... but that has more to do with laziness than some plan. I probably take it about 4 days a week on average. I'll probably lay off and start again at some point, we shall see. Are you taking anything else for AGEs? IMO it's better to take a few different things.
  • like x 1

#22 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

manic_racetam,
It's pretty average I think. The jar I'm taking taking recommends 6-8grams a day. Honestly, I'm just copying Michael Rae in the dosage (http://www.longecity...ills-fall-2009/). Only been taking it for about a month so far, and not every day... but that has more to do with laziness than some plan. I probably take it about 4 days a week on average. I'll probably lay off and start again at some point, we shall see. Are you taking anything else for AGEs? IMO it's better to take a few different things.

I'm not taking anything else at the moment. I was taking aminoguanidine for about half of last year but didn't reorder it because of the high risk of toxicity I read about. I'm not sure if it was the natural release of HGH and testosterone from the exercise I started last year, quitting alcohol or the aminoguanidine but while I was taking it the fine lines around my eyes seemed to be reduced dramatically.

So I'm on the prowl for an appropriate substitute(s). I spend too much time researching nootropics though. Any other good supps you can recommend without too much effort? Thanks :)

#23 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

1. Offer Paul & Meredith, Matt, Michael & April, Brian Delaney, Lisa Walford tons of money for CR consultation and meal preparation.

2. Open a farm to ensure fresh, clean, organic harvest of greens, berries, teas, vegetables. Pay nutritionist/ biochemists to oversee farmers.

3. Create a lifestyle where you can avoid the sun almost completely. Either by spending most of your time on nightlife or by investing in high quality skin protection during daytime and working only indoors.

4. Quit your job, spend your life on your hobbies, invest in good stress management program, create healthy and emotionally supportive circle of friends.

If I had to choose one thing only, it would be the first above.

Edited by Forever21, 03 January 2012 - 07:40 AM.

• Agree x 1

#24 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

3. Create a lifestyle where you can avoid the sun almost completely. Either by spending most of your time on nightlife or by investing in high quality skin protection during daytime and working only indoors.

I thought that no sun was detrimental to people's well being? Would it not effect someone in ways beyond looks? If no sun is good, so that's why vampires live so long and stay youthful. ;)

Edited by Droplet, 03 January 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#25 Arcanyn

• 54 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

Only through lack of vitamin D, and there are far safer ways to get vitamin D than sunlight.

#26 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

1. Offer Paul & Meredith, Matt, Michael & April, Brian Delaney, Lisa Walford tons of money for CR consultation and meal preparation.

2. Open a farm to ensure fresh, clean, organic harvest of greens, berries, teas, vegetables. Pay nutritionist/ biochemists to oversee farmers.

4. Quit your job, spend your life on your hobbies, invest in good stress management program, create healthy and emotionally supportive circle of friends.

If I had to choose one thing only, it would be the first above.

Ha, I;m almost perfectly in compliance with point 3 - I work from home, practice my hobby at home, exercise at home or gym leave only rarely to shop/ see friends -usually after dark, live in a northern country and always wear ZnO sunscreen when I leave the house. Plus I have blinds in every window wherever I stay.I really act like a vampire :P. ^.^ Get my D from supps of course.

#27 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Violet,
Not the peel, but the juice that was boiled off. You're supposed to boil in the night before, then drink it in the morning. Excellent source of flavonoids. That recipe comes from Jack Lalanne. Haha I don't know if it would enhance the hypnotic effect, but it would certainly prolong it.

manic_racetam,

Thanks! Just bought some grapefruit, will cook the peel tonight and use the rest to juice for that prolonged effect with my hypnotic pill ;)

BTW how long are you supposed to cook the peel for?

Edited by ViolettVol, 04 January 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#28 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Here is what Jack Lalanne wrote:

In these teen years I was crazy, eager to try anything. A man came to town. He had amazing skin and hair. Even his fingernails were perfect. He said he had a surefire formula: soak grapefruit rinds all night, boil them in the morning and drink the juice. I tried his recipe and lo and behold my hair, skin and nails looked 100 percent better. When I later learned that I could get the same results from eating oranges I took the nightly grapefruit rinds off the stove.

I don't believe you can get the same results from eating sugary hybridized modern oranges. I'm not sure how long you would have to boil them... 20 minutes to a half hour maybe? I buy organic grapefruit rinds from mountain rose herbs. Seriously though be really careful with this if are taking any kind of pill.

manic_racetam,

I'm not taking anything else at the moment. I was taking aminoguanidine for about half of last year but didn't reorder it because of the high risk of toxicity I read about. I'm not sure if it was the natural release of HGH and testosterone from the exercise I started last year, quitting alcohol or the aminoguanidine but while I was taking it the fine lines around my eyes seemed to be reduced dramatically.

So I'm on the prowl for an appropriate substitute(s). I spend too much time researching nootropics though. Any other good supps you can recommend without too much effort? Thanks :)

Nice results. Could you share more about your experience with aminoguanadine? Did it make you feel sick?

Pyridoxamine (if you can find it) or benfotiamine (will increase your odds of cancer). If you want to go the natural route, get in the habit of drinking a good chai tea with lots of clove and cinnamon or tea made from various roots and barks.

#29 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

manic_racetam,

Nice results. Could you share more about your experience with aminoguanadine? Did it make you feel sick?

Pyridoxamine (if you can find it) or benfotiamine (will increase your odds of cancer). If you want to go the natural route, get in the habit of drinking a good chai tea with lots of clove and cinnamon or tea made from various roots and barks.

It didn't make me feel sick. I got no ill effects from it as far as I could tell, but the side effects listed were kidney damage, among others. And as far as my research suggested, kidney damage usually has no apparent side effects until it's too late. I was taking 75mg every other day. I think the recommended dosage was 75mg a day and I was trying to play it on the safe side.

Supposedly pyridoxamine will cancel out the toxicity issues with aminoguanidine, but then I read that pyridoxamine was basically toxic itself in the dosages needed for the benefits..... [facepalm]

I can stick with b-alanine for now. Thanks for getting back to me :)

#30 Ampa-omega

• 335 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

i would do something like iron man but with biosciences (invest in SENS if you have money)
:ph34r: :)

Edited by Ampa-omega, 05 January 2012 - 08:42 PM.

• like x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users