new supplements for weight loss/obesity

irvingia fucoxanthin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JChief

• 638 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Could fucoxanthin be the next big supplement to help combat obesity?

Some metabolic and nutritional studies carried out on rats and mice at Hokkaido University indicate that fucoxanthin promotes fat burning within fat cells in white adipose tissue by increasing the expression of thermogenin.[1] There is one known double-blind placebo-controlled human study with fucoxanthin that has been published.[2] The small study of supplementation with seaweed extract containing fucoxanthin in combination with pomegranate seed oil showed in an average 4.9 kg (11 lb) weight loss in obese women over a 16-week period.[2]

Irvingia contains the leptin hormone, a natural appetite suppressant. Leptin modulates appetite in the brain where it signals satiety (feeling of fullness). Leptin also helps to utilize fat for energy. However, many people may be resistant to leptin because elevated levels in the body bind to C-reactive proteins. The result is that leptin becomes ineffective. African Mango Extract seems to be able to combat leptin resistance by lowering C-reactive protein levels according to a report by Chris Lydon, MD in "Life Extensions Magazine." Also see this study

1: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15896707

2: Abidov, M.; Ramazanov, Z.; Seifulla, R.; Grachev, S. (2010). "The effects of Xanthigen in the weight management of obese premenopausal women with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and normal liver fat". Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 12: 72.

http://onlinelibrary...2DFF4146.d01t03
  • like x 1

#2 summer stars

• 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

there are a few fucoxanthin supplements I know of; one is called Asian Calorie Burn, and there are a couple on Iherb by Garden of Life. I think Swanson has one as well. The problem is that they (anecdotally) take over a month just to kick in, and 2-6 months to show any real effects if they actually work at all, so it's quite an expensive investment for something that may not do anything. Customer reviews for Asian Calorie Burn on Amazon are mostly quite favorable, but customer reviews aren't exactly reliable either. I don't think one single study is enough to base an anti-obesity treatment on. Just look at CLA: there are multiple studies where it helped burn fat, and multiple studies where it didn't help at all.

One problem with these kinds of supplements is that they don't train you how to keep weight off; you don't learn sustainable weight management practices, which includes an hour of exercise a day. I've used several bottles containing the ephedrine-caffeine-aspirin stack in the past, and I can pretty much guarantee that that stack will absolutely demolish your appetite all day and help you burn off fat...but then you have to learn how to keep the weight off without taking pills, and it's not so easy...something like 90% of all dieters who lost over 20% of their body fat regain their lost weight within 5 years, and most within 2. When you lose a significant amount of weight, your body decides it is starving to death and kicks into a survival mode that not only lowers your metabolism, but also floods you with hunger hormones to spur you into binging on food.

I suppose if fucoxanthin ends up being a reliable weight loss aid, you could just remain on it for a very long time since it's not a stimulant like ECA or DMAA (which also reduces my appetite to zero)...but what if your financial situation changed? You'd probably gain it all back very quickly.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Proper Nutrition + Exercise + No Excuses + Permamant Lifestyle change = Guarenteed Success

Pills do not work and never will, other then mild, temporary benefits.

Coming from someone who went from 237 lbs @ 30+% Body fat to 165 @ 10% bodyfat in less then a year. This is the only way I was finally able to get my life long obesity under control. I have since, easily kept it off, merely from healthy & clean living/eating and continual excericse. (we're not meant to be sedentary creatures... there's no excuse to not incorperate some form of extra, physical exertion everyday)

Obviously certain metabolic disorders like Hashimotos can impact the ability to control ones weight as easily, but it's still not an excuse. The impact in even the most severe cases is a appox -10% metaolic disadvantage. Which can be easily overcome w/ discipline and a willingness to adapt.

Edited by jCole, 22 January 2012 - 06:53 PM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: irvingia, fucoxanthin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users