- - - - -

Longecity/Imminst Mobile App

mobile app browsing on phone

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:30 AM

If there were a mobile version of the site + forum , or a mobile app, I think that would be great.

Then if people are browsing from phones that can't view the site properly, they can now view it. If they do a search and longecity comes up, they will be able to access it.
Also works out handy for already existing members.

Sorry, it's just an idea, I'm not sure how to carry out that sort of thing...

#2 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

There is already software out there to do this. If you have an iphone you can use tapatalk to connect to forums, not just this one. I would estimate that it would cost about 200k all in including 5 year support and marketing.

I think the mobile phone form factor is not best suited to forums anyway. For an iphone app to get someone hooked I would look more towards something small and silly which gets viral and can hook people to come that way.

#3 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

I think the mobile phone form factor is not best suited to forums anyway. For an iphone app to get someone hooked I would look more towards something small and silly which gets viral and can hook people to come that way.

Another potentially dumb idea...perhaps a game whereby the user has to look after an old man or woman. The game will last a couple of weeks and the person's aging will be accelerated along with facts and figures about the horrendous disabilities that they are accumulating. When the character is "dying," the user will be given the option to stop the suffering and cure his aging. The user could forwarded to the Longecity site where they will have to see a small bit of information on the cause and then pay to help their old person.

They are then rewarded with an animation, thanks for their money, information on where their money is going and another game that is hopefully addictive. Perhaps a game where they have to blast the diseases of aging and can join a rank scoreboard online. Maybe you could start just with the old shoot 'em up idea that has information about enemies representing each disease and what it will do to you. It could be a trial and the user have to pay for the full game where they can add their score online.

Yes, I know I'm having a weird thoughts attack as normal! :laugh:

Edited by Droplet, 06 February 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#4 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Another potentially dumb idea...perhaps a game whereby the user has to look after an old man or woman. The game will last a couple of weeks and the person's aging will be accelerated along with facts and figures about the horrendous disabilities that they are accumulating. When the character is "dying," the user will be given the option to stop the suffering and cure his aging. The user could forwarded to the Longecity site where they will have to see a small bit of information on the cause and then pay to help their old person.

They are then rewarded with an animation, thanks for their money, information on where their money is going and another game that is hopefully addictive. Perhaps a game where they have to blast the diseases of aging and can join a rank scoreboard online. Maybe you could start just with the old shoot 'em up idea that has information about enemies representing each disease and what it will do to you. It could be a trial and the user have to pay for the full game where they can add their score online.

Yes, I know I'm having a weird thoughts attack as normal! :laugh:

That sounds great:)

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

Droplet,

maybe a SIMS hospice add-on app. Convince a game designer or two about the importance of the cause. Come to think of it maybe that is a good category of candidate for letter outreach.

If there were a mobile version of the site + forum , or a mobile app, I think that would be great.

Then if people are browsing from phones that can't view the site properly, they can now view it. If they do a search and longecity comes up, they will be able to access it.
Also works out handy for already existing members.

Sorry, it's just an idea, I'm not sure how to carry out that sort of thing...

Doesn't it work well enough when viewing the site from a phone the way it is? The forum runs through IPB, maybe there is an phone app option in there somewhere. If you want, search and see if there is an option like that through the IPB website and then let us know here. We can then consider it from there.

#6 Droplet

• 6,773 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

Droplet,

maybe a SIMS hospice add-on app. Convince a game designer or two about the importance of the cause. Come to think of it maybe that is a good category of candidate for letter outreach.

Would be a good idea but as I only send out stock letters and I don't know as much, maybe you're best to make first contact. I know bugger all about SIMS or games.

#7 Droplet

• 6,773 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

As this ditty points out, there's an app for everything these days. ;)

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

If you can find an ipb app or other kind, or find a ipb code writer or other to do it for x amount, then let us know how many points you would want to track this information down. We can consider that amount of points and whether or not to agree to it from there. Points can be redeemed in the Longecity points store.

#9 protoject

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I thought I would mention that suddenly in the past month or so the forum looks way better on my mobile phone [blackberry]. Previously it wasn't even readable because this stupid floating longecity bar kept covering everything and the site was hard to navigate. However now it appears to be an actual mobile version of the site and forum and is very easy to navigate. Did something change???? I don't seem to have downloaded tapatalk or anything.

#10 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

An app came with one of the upgrades I guess, and then rwac fixed it up so it works. Its good to know that we have one now. Thanks for helping to prod the issue along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users