• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

advice on removing ones self from the internet for a needed break?

internet ocd sort things out needed break moment of seperation discipline work more efficiently neglected chores mental vacation restraint internet addiction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ampa-omega

• 335 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

I figure I'd make this thread as it would help me in my thought process if i got some input from other people. I tend to always be on line and it does become habit forming and i would like to take a much needed break, a moment of separation to get back to past neglected work.

Also i think it would perhaps teach myself to become a more effective researcher Internet user in the future and learn to use my time more effectively.

I think i could use a break and teach myself to do more in less time..

So does anyone have tips on removing yourself from the Internet and discipling yourself away from it
and of course any recommended supplements that could help with this ?

#2 Now

• 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Use parental control for yourself. Set specific time limits such as 120 minutes/day or only between 14:00-16:00.
Make a todo-list for your computer-tasks. A lot of people just turn on the computer without a specific goal, that is why I am making this post right now. ;)

Edited by Now, 25 February 2012 - 10:53 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

What Now said, plus enlist a friend or family member to help you stick to your goal of only a specific amount of time online each day, or for a distinct time period.

A lot of people suffer from this. It is an evolved trait for humans.

#4 Ampa-omega

• Topic Starter
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

thats the problem for me i have enormous difficulty staying off the Internet, its enormously addicting. I can never limit myself to half an hour. the friend family tip is perhaps good if you feel you have someone that you can rely on, but i don't think that will work for me.

this is interesting:

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16147572

The researchers used a technique called fractional anisotropy (FA) to measure the organization of the brain, which is greatly influenced by the number and location of white matter fibres. Those study participants who had displayed addiction symptoms showed lower FA values in a variety of regions of the brain, such as as the orbito-frontal white matter, corpus callosum, cingulum, inferior fronto-occipital fasciculus and corona radiation. Lower FA values indicate that the nerve fibres are not functioning properly. "Overall, our findings indicate that internet addiction disorder has abnormal white matter integrity in brain regions involved in emotional generation and processing, executive attention, decision making and cognitive control," write the authors. "The results also suggest that IAD may share psychological and neural mechanisms with other types of substance addiction and impulse control disorders." The researchers theorize that the myelin, a protective sheath around nerve fibres, is disrupted in a variety of regions of the brain in people with IAD.

Sciences, found evidence of disruption to "white matter" nerve fibres connecting vital parts of the brain involved in emotions, decision making, and self-control. Previous studies have shown abnormal white matter structure in the brains of people who have had alcohol, cocaine and cannabis among other drugs. The scientists suspect the damage is caused by disrupted myelin, the fatty insulating sheath that helps nerves work.

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0030253
  • like x 1

#5 Jr Cauton

• 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

I have this problem too. the worst part is putting off the important things that i'm supposed to get done then I get stressed out knowing I'm way behind.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 digitalbrain

• 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Use apps like self control to block the distracting sites or a period upto 24 hours.

I use it to block Quora, Reddit etc when I have deadlines looming.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internet ocd, sort things out, needed break, moment of seperation, discipline, work more efficiently, neglected chores, mental vacation, restraint, internet addiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users