• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Real-life "Understand" powers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:51 AM

Read Ted Chiang's story "Understand," and you'll be better able to appreciate the following story:

http://www.guardian....1409903,00.html

A genius explains

Daniel Tammet is an autistic savant. He can perform mind-boggling mathematical calculations at breakneck speeds. But unlike other savants, who can perform similar feats, Tammet can describe how he does it. He speaks seven languages and is even devising his own language. Now scientists are asking whether his exceptional abilities are the key to unlock the secrets of autism.

I was specifically struck by Tammet's description of his calculating process, which sounds like something out a Golden Age science fiction story (Jommy the Slan describing his mental powers):

"When I multiply numbers together, I see two shapes. The image starts to change and evolve, and a third shape emerges. That's the answer. It's mental imagery. It's like maths without having to think."

#2 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the links. That's the second Chiang story I've read; I understand he's quite popular. I read "The Story of Your Life' a few months ago and was quite impressed. I had actually purchased the anthology (A 'Best of 2001') way back, but didn't read since the two stroies I tried reading both concerned mothers outliving their offspring. Now that's awful! But the Chiang story was sufficiently interesting to bring me back to it.

I think there is a bit of a difference between Tammet and 'Leon' - every aspect of Leon's cognition was enhanced - even social interactions. (I need some of that hormone k myself, I think).

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users