• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

the role of physics in the technology of a) immortality and b) AI

physics immortality ai

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DAMABO

• 181 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hi all,

I was hoping to have a discussion with some enlightened minds about what physicists of today can do to accelerate AI and immortality. Obviously there is nanotechnology, but what other, less obvious connections are there. Of course you can reason: to survive we would need to be able to deflect natural disasters by deflecting asteroids, hurricanes, etc. and of course we have the energy and resources problem, which no doubt will be greatly improved by knowledge of physics. And if our resources are running out, we will have mars and moon bases, which physicists will be worrying about a lot too.
Do I miss some other, more directly related to indefinite lifespan. And of course to AI.

Thanks

#2 ChaosMarch

• 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

I work in atomic physics, and I too am interested in this question. While my research right now involves the trapping and manipulation of atoms for fundamental physics research, I'm always interested in learning ways my sub-field can move us closer to immortality. Many of my coworkers are also interested in combining atomic and subatomic physics with medical research. Of what I know, there are a few applications to medical technology in general, but I haven't heard of any specifically targeting immortality. For example, on of my former coworkers is now doing R&D on a SERF Magnetometer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SERF), which is basically an extremely sensitive (but not too expensive) device for measuring magnetic fields using the manipulation of atoms. The goal of the research is to monitor fetal heartbeats in pregnant mothers--the fetus's heart produces a bit of current each time it contracts, which in turn produces a magnetic field, which can be measured with an array of magnetometers outside the mother (i.e. no invasive surgery needed). So using atomic physics techniques you can identify problems in a fetus early, and take the appropriate action. But as I said, the goal is not immortality, just health in general.

I do think physics has lots to offer medical research indirectly--for example, modern technologies like cell phones, airplanes, and the Internet all required physics research, and now are used by doctors and medical researchers routinely. CAT scans, MRI's, and artificial organs are other examples of modern technologies that required advances in physics to be invented.

I'd be interested to hear other ideas people have--if for no other reason than possible future career options. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users