• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

I am bald/ have a shaved head. Should I get a tan?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: I am bald/ have a shaved head. Should I get a tan? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Im bald/ have a shaved head. Should I get a tan?

1. Yes! (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. No! (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

There´s a lot of bald guy or guy´s that have a shaved head out there. There´s not so much one can do about it except using different skin products or perhaps getting a tan just to improve the overall look.

I've never been so much for this tanning culture, but since losing hair and shaving my head, I am thinking that that might actually make me look better.

What I am wondering is if it is considered being better looking or if it is preferable if one has a tan to go with the bald?

What do you think?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

Just my 2 cents. Get a tan, but slowly unless you are a non-tanning redhead or an albino. Workers who work outdoors seldom get skin cancer, as they tan slowly with the season as the sun's intensity increases. It's teh intense sunburns from too much sun too suddenly that lead to skin cancer later in life. Gradually increase exposure, or us ever-decreasing spf sun tan lotions, or expose then wear a hat.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Here´s a few examples which I forgot to post.

No tan

Tan

Of course I am going to avoid direct exposure to the sun and those tanning salons.

I am going to use different spraytans and creams.

In the middle of the summer I am going expose myself to the sun somewhat, but only when I have applied a sunscreen.

Being pale seems only to fit people with hair it seems :happy:

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Most skin people/dermatologists would say NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEVER! The sun should never hit your skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the rest of us would say, maybe a light tan.

I think you have a pretty good idea of using the tanning sprays or creams. Start slow with those, so you don't end up with a weird color. I used one of the products once in the past and it worked well. I don't know of any serious side effects from the spray tans. They seem pretty safe.

#5 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Yes, use the spray tans on your head. My 2 cents... I use a high quality sunscreen on arms and face at all times, I go to tanning place once a week, cover my arms, shoulders, face and neck when I go in the tanning bed. I lightly spray tan my face twice a week. I am not bald.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

A tan is built-in sunscreen. If you are capable of getting a good tan, maybe you should do it. The best approach, imho, would be to find a salon that has UVB lamps. Some salons have UVA lamps that they tout as 'non-burning'. They don't tell you that UVA is the band that causes most of the aging damage. If you go this route, you probably ought to check out the lamps yourself and do a little research on them. I wouldn't trust anything told to me by anyone who works at a tanning salon. Use low intensity and/or short exposures over a long time period. Don't try to get a dark tan in a week. In fact, don't try to get a dark tan period. Spray tans, as far as I know do not offer any UV protection.

The advantage of a shaved head is that you can put sunscreen on it. Even with a tan, you should use a good UVA sunscreen on your head and arms. I do that every day, though I might be a little more casual about it if I had a good tan. A tan will allow you to be exposed to more UVB without burning, but I don't know how much if any it helps against UVA. The wrinkliest human I ever saw had a dark tan. This guy lived at high altitude (Lake Tahoe), and I doubt he was over 60.

#7 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Short bouts (think minutes) of mid-day tanning at noon should be the best from vitamin D perspective.

#8 cyrusbrian

• 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

well yes you can get tan !

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Tanned bald guy at 40

Posted Image

#10 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

Yep, it improves his looks. Im doing it! Im avoiding sun though.

#11 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

well yes you can get tan !

My point with this thread was to see if a bald head looks better with or without a tan.

#12 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

I don't think you'd be doing yourself any favours by tanning your head. Have you had a good look at some older bald men's heads with sun damage lately? Blotches and liver spots galore! Matt Damon looks pretty good untanned in the picture you posted, although to be fair his head is far from bald-looking there given his fuzz shadow.

#13 Balbina

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I do not think that tan is necessary...it depends on how you feel when you use it and not. If it is more comfortable for you to get a tan - then why not, but do not think that you'll look worse without it:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users