* * * * * 1 votes

Dating a partner with genital herpes

staying safe

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

My friend recently met a girl he likes- but she was infected with genital herpes over 10 years ago. She has an outbreak about once a year and says they are much milder than they have been in years past. She's been on a daily dose of Valtrex for years. My question is, have any of you had a partner with herpes and not become infected? My understanding is that many who have healthy immune systems will not contract the virus when exposed.

#2 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

My friend recently met a girl he likes- but she was infected with genital herpes over 10 years ago. She has an outbreak about once a year and says they are much milder than they have been in years past. She's been on a daily dose of Valtrex for years. My question is, have any of you had a partner with herpes and not become infected? My understanding is that many who have healthy immune systems will not contract the virus when exposed.

It is my understanding that you will contract the virus. The question is whether you will display symptoms. From what I understand, a large percentage of people are positive for the virus but never have symptoms....they are carriers. But the virus is still in your body...and can still cause issues...just not symptoms. I researched this a couple years ago for a good friend whose daughter contracted herpes after only having a couple partners who each claimed to never have had herpes. And supposedly, you can carry the virus without symptoms for years and years...and then have an outbreak at a much later date. That's what I recall from my research....but suggest you may want to research it further. Personally, I would never risk it...if I knew. Who in their right mind would knowingly expose themselves to an incurable disease? That is how these diseases keep spreading.

#3 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

It's probably not worth the risk. Unless this is the love of his life, I would probably not do this.

I'm not sure that people really do transmit the virus absent an outbreak. It seems possible to me that the carriers are falsely claiming that they did not have herpes. It also seems possible that they had a small outbreak or the beginnings of an outbreak and risked transmitting it because they were horny. Maybe they told themselves that it wasn't an outbreak but it was. Maybe they weren't that in touch with their bodies, but that is less likely. There are also people who would never sleep with anyone during an outbreak. I'm guessing more women than men fall into this category. They are also often more in touch with their bodies.

This is a disease best avoided.

Edited by Luminosity, 25 March 2012 - 06:55 AM.

• dislike x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 nushu

• Topic Starter
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Looks like creatine supplementation may be beneficial. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11516222

#5 Blankspace

• 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

My understanding is that many who have healthy immune systems will not contract the virus when exposed.

They may still aquire the virus, but may never display the symptoms.

CDC.gov:
"Most people infected with HSV-2 are not aware of their infection. However, if signs and symptoms occur during the first outbreak, they can be quite pronounced. The first outbreak usually occurs within two weeks after the virus is transmitted, and the sores typically heal within two to four weeks. Other signs and symptoms during the primary episode may include a second crop of sores, and flu-like symptoms, including fever and swollen glands. However, most individuals with HSV-2 infection never have sores, or they have very mild signs that they do not even notice or that they mistake for insect bites or another skin condition."

"HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be found in and released from the sores that the viruses cause, but they also are released between outbreaks from skin that does not appear to have a sore. Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected."

"Results of a nationally representative study show that genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, 16.2%, or about one out of six, people 14 to 49 years of age have genital HSV-2 infection. Over the past decade, the percentage of Americans with genital herpes infection in the U.S. has remained stable."

#6 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

The answer to this question is subjective and depends on a host of different things. First, it depends on the type of person your friend is and what his views on STI's are. Secondly, he needs to assess what kind of relationship he wants to have with this girl and whether or not proceeding with her is worth the possible risks involved and the precautionary measures he may decide he wants to take. Unfortunately, even Valtrex and condom usage cannot protect him entirely. Even if she isn't experiencing an outbreak, there is still a small percentage of time throughout the year that she will asymptomatically shed the virus (meaning it can be contracted even if it isn't visible). With a condom on his penis, the base of his shaft can still come into contact with an infected area.

Research the statistics. 1 out of 5 women have it (chances are they don't even know it because most are asymptomatic) and 1 out of 9 men are carriers. Currently over 45 million adults in the US have it. I did a lot of research on this a few years ago when I contracted it from my second sexual partner. The fact is, it is incredibly common and has an overblown stigma attached to it. I have always been cautious in my sex life and have only been intimate with a select number of people who were serious and long-term girlfriends. If someone like me can get it with these things in mind, then nearly every sexually active person has the odds stacked against them for getting it eventually.

The virus itself isn't all that problematic. It's society's perception of it that people are so worried about. The first outbreak is the itchiest and most painful (and even that isn't too bad). Any outbreaks following that one are less severe and become much less frequent with time. I've had a total of maybe 5 outbreaks in 3 years and haven't had one for at least a year. My last couple of been so insignificant symptom-wise that I was hardly even aware of them. Personally, the common cold and flu are more disruptive to my life than a herpes outbreak is.

Most importantly, your friend's potential partner should be commended for her full disclosure in this matter. Considering the fact that so many people unwittingly transmit herpes to their partners, it would be easy for her to keep this particular piece of information about herself private and if the issue were to ever arise, claiming he was an asymptomatic carrier all along and never manifested symptoms until now. The fact that she felt such a concern for his health and wellbeing should not be overlooked. In fact, unless your friend has actually had a herpes blood test performed he doesn't know for sure whether he has it or not! A common STD test will not pick it up. Also, keep in mind that not only do people unknowingly infect one another but even the ones who do know will willingly have unprotected sex because they don't have to be the ones waving the banner for herpes prevention.

The way I see it, NOT contracting herpes is almost unavoidable unless you've been lucky to evade it before settling down with someone else who shares your same good fortune. I don't blame your friend for giving this serious consideration but hopefully with some research he can put this issue into perspective. I'd venture to guess that if he forgoes a relationship with this girl based on this, he may find himself with the exact same dilemma with a girlfriend or two down the line who may not be as willing as she was to divulge the risk to him.
  • like x 5

#7 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

If all a herpes infected person had to worry about is an occasional outbreak, then I would agree that it may be overblown, however, my big concern with the risk of herpes is that there is considerable evidence developing that it very likely has a relationship to Alzheimer’s or at least contributes in some fashion to the risk of Alzheimer’s. There are several long threads about the connection on the forum if you care to search. I've seen Alzheimer’s up close and personal...and am convinced that it is the worst death possible...a very slow death that robs you of your very existence...and as such, is very mentally painful for both the victim and the loved ones to see and have to live with over the long haul as it runs it's course...something I wouldn't wish on just about anybody...and would be my worst nightmare to live....and as such, wouldn't risk anything, including possible herpes, that could possibly contribute to spending the last 10-20 years of my "golden years" like that...and herpes is forever….so if the Alzheimer’s risk is valid…and it is looking like it probably is…then herpes can be fatal in the end. Supposedly the virus “hides” in the nervous system and can eventually make it’s way to the brain via the nervous system….there apparently is research looking at this and several threads discussing it on the forum.

Edited by Hebbeh, 26 March 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#8 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

If all a herpes infected person had to worry about is an occasional outbreak, then I would agree that it may be overblown, however, my big concern with the risk of herpes is that there is considerable evidence developing that it very likely has a relationship to Alzheimer’s or at least contributes in some fashion to the risk of Alzheimer’s. There are several long threads about the connection on the forum if you care to search. I've seen Alzheimer’s up close and personal...and am convinced that it is the worst death possible...a very slow death that robs you of your very existence...and as such, is very mentally painful for both the victim and the loved ones to see and have to live with over the long haul as it runs it's course...something I wouldn't wish on just about anybody...and would be my worst nightmare to live....and as such, wouldn't risk anything, including possible herpes, that could possibly contribute to spending the last 10-20 years of my "golden years" like that...and herpes is forever….so if the Alzheimer’s risk is valid…and it is looking like it probably is…then herpes can be fatal in the end. Supposedly the virus “hides” in the nervous system and can eventually make it’s way to the brain via the nervous system….there apparently is research looking at this and several threads discussing it on the forum.

I won't discount this as being perhaps a valid concern, but the link here is tenuous it seems. I haven't read anything that compels me to believe that HSV-1 IS the cause of Alzheimer's. Additionally, the OP mentioned "genital herpes" which is HSV-2, not HSV-1.

I think everyone should carefully examine what risks they are willing to accept with respect to their health. I am just sharing what has come to be my conclusion about contracting herpes. Even though we've already established that HSV-1 is being looked at as a possible cause of Alzheimer's, for the sake of this hypothetical let us pretend it's HSV-2.

Right now, this basically means a person would be forfeiting a potentially long, rewarding, romantic and personally gratifying relationship with someone based on the possibility that HSV could cause Alzheimer's. Does said person smoke cigarettes? Drink too much alcohol or otherwise engage in any behavior that may potentially jeopardize his health?

My point is, there are a ton of risks out there and that's why I said it all depends on the kind of person his friend is. If he's someone who wants to live his life cautiously, then he may want to try to avoid this risk at all costs for as long as he can. Knowing what I know about the astonishing statistics of people who are infected and the personal inconvenience it has caused me, I would not be willing to make any major life compromises to avoid it. If I could keep my herpes but never get sick again a day in my life I would consider that a favorable tradeoff. Right now there is no cure. Who says there won't be 5 or 10 years from now?

All that being said, I too informed my partner of my condition and it didn't slow her down...not even for a minute. We're still together and have created some wonderful memories and shared great experiences. Whether we stay together indefinitely or end our relationship a year from now, neither of us would have wanted it to go any differently.
  • like x 1

#9 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

I would also suggest to the OP that posting this question in a longevity forum is likely to yield a biased response. I would expect most people here concerned with lifespan to be conservative in their responses about a topic that adversely impacts health.

#10 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

Using Iodine will control the outbreaks.

http://www.longecity...post__p__493865

#11 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be oral or genital, it's just that HSV-1 is more commonly oral and HSV-2 genital but they can really break out on most forms of tissue.

#12 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Found re a possible vaccine against HSV-2

http://www.foxnews.c...suppress-hsv-2/

#13 HerpesFish

• 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Even the use of a condom does not prevent the spread of disease because a condom may cover not all sores. It is possible for the virus to become active and transmitted to a sexual partner even when the skin appears completely normal.

How to protect your partner:

1: always use a latex condom.
2: no sex while you have an outbreak or if you think you are about to have an outbreak. Wait until sores are completely healed before resuming sexual adtivity.
3: use Valtrex daily to minimize the risk of spread.

You may find more tips about how to dating a girl with Herpes at HerpesSupportFroum

#14 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think while his girlfriend is using Valtrex the chance of transmission is going to be pretty low. Avoid sex from the moment she feels any inkling of prodrome (pain or tingling preceding outbreak). I also think your friend should investigate using a low dose of Valtrex as well as an additional prophylaxis measure. It is probably going to be very hard for any initial infection to be established in a person on Valtrex.

I am not aware of studies supporting this (there may or may not be) but that is what I would do if I met someone I really liked who had genital herpes.

#15 jamfropsi

• 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

I think while his girlfriend is using Valtrex the chance of transmission is going to be pretty low. Avoid sex from the moment she feels any inkling of prodrome (pain or tingling preceding outbreak). I also think your friend should investigate using a low dose of Valtrex as well as an additional prophylaxis measure. It is probably going to be very hard for any initial infection to be established in a person on Valtrex.

I am not aware of studies supporting this (there may or may not be) but that is what I would do if I met someone I really liked who had genital herpes.

I think tht's similar to what they recommend for people who have an hiv + partner. They give them lower dosages of hiv meds to take while with tht person.

#16 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I know 2 married adults. One had herpes, the other didn't. They were married for 10+ years without transmission. One time they did it without protection during a flare up and bang -> the other got it.

If you are pretty safe about it & don't screw around without protection or during flare ups then you are probably ok. That said I wouldn't mess around with that unless I was going to marry the other person and even then it would be a huge deterent.

#17 chloe1023

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

I myself have had genital herpes for almost 2 years now. Once I broke up with the person I got it from, I felt like I had to navigate the waters all by myself.I have to say that http://www.herpespal.com has been a blessing, its great being able to talk to other people in the same situation. I personally have found peace and happiness. If you haven’t, you will. Ignoranceand denial is not the solution. Be informed… Learn the truth… Here. Which has more than 680000 memebers according some news and it have provided many services such as chatting,blogs,test center,forum etc. I am still glad that I had the opportunity to confirm that having Herpes doesn't have to be a limitation.

#18 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

The OP should get himself tested. It is possible that he already has had herpes for a while (most adults don't know they have it) even from before his current girlfriend. If the test is positive, he might as well stop worrying.

If not, he may want to get on prophylactic valacyclovir.

#19 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Herpes blood tests are useless in telling if you have genital herpes or not. Unless a swab from a given area comes back positive, it might be anywhere. Unfortunately, a negative swab is also not conclusive proof of someone being healthy in a given area.

As for the antivirals, it seems like they have more support on the infected party than as a prophylactic.

Edited by nupi, 10 October 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#20 ▲420MD

• 81 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

+1 for the Valtrex. But also go for Aciclovir Cream. You can go higher than 1 Gram daily with Valtrex, but I reccomend using a 5HT3A antagonist or at least diphenhydramine to combat nausea. I say using the Aciclovir cream before and after sex is the most protection you'll get.

1 Gram every 8 hours would ammount to 3 grams daily. Not healthy or reccomended for constant use. I'd say maximum is 1 gram daily and use the Aciclovir cream constantly.

And remember, this is for preventing it - not preventing outbreaks like lysine or iodine, etc.
  • dislike x 2

#21 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

What's your source of information 420M?

#22 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Citation please, to my knowledge, there exists no truly effective Herpes prevention protocol (not to say that antivirals wouldn't do something, they are just unlikely to be anywhere near 100%).

#23 ▲420MD

• 81 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Citation please, to my knowledge, there exists no truly effective Herpes prevention protocol (not to say that antivirals wouldn't do something, they are just unlikely to be anywhere near 100%).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC174733/

ACV is an effective agent for the treatment and prophylaxis of HSV infections in both IC and immunologically normal individuals. The drug is well tolerated in both populations and is not significantly associated with clinical or laboratory toxicities. Because of the great potential benefit and low risk, organ transplant recipients and patients with hematologic malignancies undergoing induction chemotherapy should be screened routinely for HSV antibodies; seropositive individuals should receive prophylactic ACV during the period of most profound immunosuppression. Immunologically normal individuals with frequently recurring genital HSV or serious complications associated with outbreaks are candidates for long-term suppression with ACV.

Nothing is 100% and we don't even know how HSV fully works - we know most mechanisms but there are mutations in nearly every gene. Some are resistant to ACV or Valacylovir.
ACV Cream externally before, during, and after sex + VCV split into 3 daily doses is the best we have though at the moment - and is in my opinon the best answer to the OP's question.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#24 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

Yeah, but WHAT is your opinion based on? This is too serious for somebody's idea to be put out there.
  • dislike x 1

#25 ▲420MD

• 81 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, but WHAT is your opinion based on? This is too serious for somebody's idea to be put out there.

Um... Its not an opinion... Did you even read my post? I linked to a study... You guys asked for a source or citation. I gave you one.
Sorry I can't give you a 110% for-sure answer, no doctor, scientist or anyone will be able to if you have any idea on how microbiology actually works - its possible for any strain of HSV to just develop resistance to both ACV and VCV.

OP is definitely going to want to use the ACV cream before, after, during sex. Should wear a condom, etc etc.
  • dislike x 1

#26 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

That study only talks about prophylaxis of outbreaks in already-infected individuals, not prophylaxis of infection in HSV-naive people.
  • like x 1

#27 robosapiens

• 163 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Take 200 mg BHT and 2 grams l-lysine daily

The stigma (social shunning etc.. people suck) is far worse than the virus itself.
handling the virus is trivial.

Edited by robosapiens, 28 October 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#28 ▲420MD

• 81 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

That study only talks about prophylaxis of outbreaks in already-infected individuals, not prophylaxis of infection in HSV-naive people.

It speaks of both infected and healthy individuals. However, another study - not so much about sexual contact - but preventing burn victims from contracting HSV notes ACV shows promise:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21427598

Antiviral prophylaxis should be strongly considered for HSV infection prevention in patients with major burn injury, particularly with burns involving the face. Acyclovir is the primary drug of choice, and contact precautions should be practiced.

Like I said, in terms of realistic everyday advice the OP can use - What I've provided is the best that modern medicine currently offers. You can try BHT like the others said, ACV and VCV actually prevent the virus from reproducing which is what we want. Preventing replication of HSV allows the body(and or, other compounds) to eliminate the viruses already present. ACV Cream applied before, during and after sex will prevent HSV from replicating on the surfaces it is applied to. Though like I said, nothing is 100% - it just can't be in the microbiological world, things mutate too fast. A new medicine can be developed and hours later a single herpes virus could mutate with resistance to it.

Like others said, you more likely than not have it already. Maybe not HSV-1 or HSV-2, but there is a drastically higher number of infected individuals than non-infected. To be "HSV-Free" you would literally have to have been from a non-infected heritage, and you would have to have lived inside a bubble for your entire life. Most people don't even know they have it. We can't run a scientific examination on the posters in this thread but I'd say with good confidence that 90%> posters have some form of HSV inside their body. You just need to be healthy and handle it well, you might catch it and never have an outbreak in your life. You could catch it and be treated, come up negative but still have it hidden inside far reaches of your body. They stopped trying to cure HSV infections a long, long time ago... I can't think of anything besides biotechnology that would ever have a chance at even denting HSV. No chemical is going to keep you "safe".

Edited by ▲420MD, 28 October 2013 - 11:24 PM.

• dislike x 1

#29 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

I know this thread is old, but here's a piece of wisdom for anyone reading this.

Herpes is not that bad, though it is not something you want to get stuck with either if you're still looking for a mating partner. If you're with the love of your life, and both of you have herpes, or only plan on sleeping with eachother forever, then so be it! The herpes is practically irrelevant in that case. The problem is such a scenario requires a definitive commitment.

As for the friend of OP. If I were him I would not date this girl, unless he was sure he will be with her forever. If they're having sex it will be difficult for him to avoid contracting it. Herpes CAN be contracted if there is no outbreak visible, and anybody who has had sex knows very well it's not always super perfect in terms of what touches what. There's a reason they say condoms only partially stop the spread of STD's. It's not the condom that fails persay but rather the fact that sticking the dick directly in the vagina and not letting any skin come into contact with other skin isn't the easiest thing to do.
  • like x 1

#30 ▲420MD

• 81 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

I know this thread is old, but here's a piece of wisdom for anyone reading this.

Herpes is not that bad, though it is not something you want to get stuck with either if you're still looking for a mating partner. If you're with the love of your life, and both of you have herpes, or only plan on sleeping with eachother forever, then so be it! The herpes is practically irrelevant in that case. The problem is such a scenario requires a definitive commitment.

As for the friend of OP. If I were him I would not date this girl, unless he was sure he will be with her forever. If they're having sex it will be difficult for him to avoid contracting it. Herpes CAN be contracted if there is no outbreak visible, and anybody who has had sex knows very well it's not always super perfect in terms of what touches what. There's a reason they say condoms only partially stop the spread of STD's. It's not the condom that fails persay but rather the fact that sticking the dick directly in the vagina and not letting any skin come into contact with other skin isn't the easiest thing to do.

Some common sense, thank god.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users