• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Are we too uptight about second hand smoke?

second hand smoke lung health respiratory health non-smoking laws

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

This is a Devils advocate question.

I know several of us have an issue with inhaling second hand smoke. I know I do. It's a serious crutch psychologically and causes me to avoid a lot of events, a lot of people and even family on many occasions. It honestly has me feeling like a social imbecile in some ways. But I cannot shake the sensation that too much exposure to second hand smoke muddies up my respiratory output and makes it harder for me to exercise and breath, not to mention the possible effects on my skin.

The question is, am I, or are you, too uptight about it? When you're a medical student you have access to a whole series of epidemiological reports which seem to indicate the negative health association between second hand smoke and personal health outcome.

But what can we really do? What if you live in a building in which the neighbors smoke like chimneys? Is it a put up or shut up circumstance? Should I feel lame for being so adamant about avoiding second hand smoke exposure? Am I a complete non-trendy douche for getting angry and uptight when I smell smoke wafting in through my apartment through the walls or windows?

How much of my corresponding respiratory problem is psychological and how much is physical? Why do I have a more difficult time lifting weights after inhaling second hand smoke? Am I weak? Does my lack of non-chalant attitude about this make me an evolutionary turd? Am I suppose to be 'a man' and toughen up and deal with it?

Do you ever think these thoughts about your own sensitivity toward second hand smoke? Do you ever consequently ask yourself if you are too uptight about it?

This is a serious question in pursuit of a happy medium. For a long time still we are going to have a society filled with people who smoke like chimneys. How do we find the happy medium between avoidance and tolerance?

#2 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

And for anyone interested here is a bibliography of second hand smoke studies.

http://www.google.co...INTLJF8Bkys3SDQ

#3 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

I can't help thinking that tobacco smoke is tobacco smoke however you encounter it. The risks may be lower than for the smoker but it is definitely non zero. I have put myself in an environment where I hardly ever encounter second hand smoke and find even minimal exposure upsetting - like when waiting for a train and someone down the platform is smoking.

If I am going to have the negative effects of something, I at least want to experience the benefits too.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

You guys forget that humans have lived around fires -- fires in caves and fires in huts and fires in houses -- for most of our history, which in fact started when we lit out first fire. So, smoke and humans go together for as long as humans have been humans. Think about it. It could be true that we messed up our environment in the last several centuries on the planetary scale, but as far as our most immediate environment goes, the air in our homes has never been as clean as it is now.

Which is to say that humans are superbly adapted to all kinds of smoke. Which makes your fear of second-hand cig smoke a neuroticism. Sorry.
  • dislike x 6
  • like x 1

#5 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

The question is, am I, too uptight about it?

Probably.

But what can we really do? What if you live in a building in which the neighbors smoke like chimneys? Is it a put up or shut up circumstance?

I think it is, unless you own the whole building, in which case you should be able to come up with your own rules.

Should I feel lame for being so adamant about avoiding second hand smoke exposure? Am I a complete non-trendy douche for getting angry and uptight when I smell smoke wafting in through my apartment through the walls or windows?

Through the walls, seriously? If you can show that to be true then I guess you have a case. If your neighbors already smoke outside on the balcony or whatever then I'd say deal with it, but are you suggesting they smoke inside their apartments which causes your apartment to smell of smoke too? That just sounds like bad construction work.

How much of my corresponding respiratory problem is psychological and how much is physical? Why do I have a more difficult time lifting weights after inhaling second hand smoke? Am I weak? Does my lack of non-chalant attitude about this make me an evolutionary turd? Am I suppose to be 'a man' and toughen up and deal with it?

Uh, unless you're in a smoky bar (don't you have a smoking ban in the US as well?), it's 99% psychological. All the second-hand smoke studies are pretty much worthless anyway IMO.
  • Needs references x 1

#6 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

I think the case for 2nd hand smoke being harmful is much weaker than for primary smoking. Unless you are continually exposed to smoke due to you living in a household that smokes or due to your job then I would not worry about it.
  • Needs references x 1

#7 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Uh, unless you're in a smoky bar (don't you have a smoking ban in the US as well?), it's 99% psychological. All the second-hand smoke studies are pretty much worthless anyway IMO.

I

Not if one is asthmatic, it's not psychological. The documented increase in upper is not psychological, nor I think is the effect on infants on children who are so exposed. The policy changes regarding smoking bans are based on those studies, so someone finds them worthwhile. While an appeal to authority is not a good argument, I do ask what are your qualifications to declare so many studies worthless?

Before smoking bans became widespread, virtually everyone was was exposed in the workplace. In apartment buildings, neighboring apartment residents are exposed which has lead to some interesting lawsuits. I find it a vast improvement to be able to spend a night out and not come home with my clothes reeking of tobacco, much less coming home from work with my suit smelling like an ashtray,

Unless you are continually exposed to smoke due to you living in a household that smokes or due to your job then I would not worry about it.

Before smoking bans were widespread, that was nearly everyone. In ballparks, restaurants and bars, any public venue.

I suspect the OP is merely raising a provocactive issue for the reason small boys poke sticks in anthills.

Edited by maxwatt, 08 May 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#8 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Unless you are continually exposed to smoke due to you living in a household that smokes or due to your job then I would not worry about it.

Before smoking bans were widespread, that was nearly everyone. In ballparks, restaurants and bars, any public venue.

I suspect the OP is merely raising a provocactive issue for the reason small boys poke sticks in anthills.

By continually I mean for large portions of the day, what does continually mean to you? In that case even before smoking bans I would say that most people were not continually being exposed to smoke.

Do you smoke? Your rude reaction suggests you do.

Edited by churchill, 08 May 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#9 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

I hate being around smoke and am very sensitive to it... it gets into tiny gaps and I can smell it coming in through vents in my window from next door. Being around smoke gives me a chronic cough. I discovered that years ago when I kicked my mother out of the house for smoking. Well, asked her if she could do it outside because it affects me so much. Around that time I had to have an x ray of my chest because the cough was persistent (about 3-4 months); She gave up years ago after I told her to and the cough went away within days. :) Smoking is banned in my house, and anywhere near the door or windows lol.

Edited by Matt, 08 May 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#10 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

And it's just disgusting! I hate it with passion ;p It smells so bad and... I just wish people would not smoke around me. It's awful

#11 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

You guys forget that humans have lived around fires -- fires in caves and fires in huts and fires in houses -- for most of our history, which in fact started when we lit out first fire. So, smoke and humans go together for as long as humans have been humans. Think about it. It could be true that we messed up our environment in the last several centuries on the planetary scale, but as far as our most immediate environment goes, the air in our homes has never been as clean as it is now.

Which is to say that humans are superbly adapted to all kinds of smoke. Which makes your fear of second-hand cig smoke a neuroticism. Sorry.

Humans are superbly adapted to smoke, really? Sources please.

Not sure who you can even arrive to such a train of thought given that ancient man had difficulty even living past 40.
  • like x 6
  • dislike x 1

#12 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

I can't help thinking that tobacco smoke is tobacco smoke however you encounter it. The risks may be lower than for the smoker but it is definitely non zero. I have put myself in an environment where I hardly ever encounter second hand smoke and find even minimal exposure upsetting - like when waiting for a train and someone down the platform is smoking.

If I am going to have the negative effects of something, I at least want to experience the benefits too.

The benefits of something? I don't get it.

#13 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

The question is, am I, too uptight about it?

Probably.

But what can we really do? What if you live in a building in which the neighbors smoke like chimneys? Is it a put up or shut up circumstance?

I think it is, unless you own the whole building, in which case you should be able to come up with your own rules.

Should I feel lame for being so adamant about avoiding second hand smoke exposure? Am I a complete non-trendy douche for getting angry and uptight when I smell smoke wafting in through my apartment through the walls or windows?

Through the walls, seriously? If you can show that to be true then I guess you have a case. If your neighbors already smoke outside on the balcony or whatever then I'd say deal with it, but are you suggesting they smoke inside their apartments which causes your apartment to smell of smoke too? That just sounds like bad construction work.

Question.

Are you a smoker?

Honest answer please.

#14 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

You do realize that Tobacco smoke emits unnatural industrial chemicals which make the Tobacco more addictive, right? Check out the bibliography I posted above for epidemiology reports.

#15 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

I hate being around smoke and am very sensitive to it... it gets into tiny gaps and I can smell it coming in through vents in my window from next door. Being around smoke gives me a chronic cough. I discovered that years ago when I kicked my mother out of the house for smoking. Well, asked her if she could do it outside because it affects me so much. Around that time I had to have an x ray of my chest because the cough was persistent (about 3-4 months); She gave up years ago after I told her to and the cough went away within days. :) Smoking is banned in my house, and anywhere near the door or windows lol.

So you still live at home with your family? My mother quit as well, but after I moved out a couple of years ago. It's sad the amount of arguments her addiction (and my sensitivity to it) caused. Right now I live in a non-smoking apartment building. But there are undoubtedly neighbors who are violating it, as I smell it through the walls sometimes and i immediately get a knee jerk, angry reaction. It kind of makes me feel like a prude (not that cigarette smoking is in any way like sex of course). But that's because I am probably sub-consciously looking in the wrong place for approval. Namely a society which approves of a ton of unhealthy habits. Sadly, those of us who prefer clean air are still in the minority.

Edited by TheFountain, 08 May 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#16 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Not sure who you can even arrive to such a train of thought given that ancient man had difficulty even living past 40.

I agree with your assessment, I presume that the thought process goes as follows, I smoke and I like smoking therefore I am going to come up with reasons to justify why I smoke and not look into them too deeply so that I can feel better about myself and my actions.
  • like x 4

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

The nicotine high, such as it is... After all, that's the reason people use tobacco.

I hate being around smoke and am very sensitive to it...

My mother quit as well, but after I moved out a couple of years ago. It's sad the amount of arguments her addiction (and my sensitivity to it) caused. Right now I live in a non-smoking apartment building. But there are undoubtedly neighbors who are violating it, as I smell it through the walls sometimes and i immediately get a knee jerk, angry reaction. It kind of makes me feel like a prude (not that cigarette smoking is in any way like sex of course). But that's because I am probably sub-consciously looking in the wrong place for approval. Namely a society which approves of a ton of unhealthy habits. Sadly, those of us who prefer clean air are still in the minority.

I think it makes perfect sense that second hand smoke is annoying. It smells like shit, we know it harms our health, and we're being subjected to it so some uncaring drug addict can get their fix. I don't see anything neurotic about being annoyed by cigarette smoke. The smoking rate in America has dropped to somewhere around 20%, and I expect it to fall farther. I think it's safe to say that the majority of people prefer clean air.

humans are superbly adapted to all kinds of smoke.

This wins the "Most Profoundly Wrong" award.

#18 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

Sources? Use of fire is what made an ape a human. Many animals use tools. Use of fire is what separated humans from the rest of the animals.

Electricity as the source of light has been around -- for majority of population-- less than 100 years. Until then, it has been something burning and emitting smoke, be it an oil lamp, a candle, which, by the way, only the rich could afford (the majority used a dry stick to lit their homes, for a long, long time). Not to mention cooking. You should go camping one of these days and see what sort of smoke exposure you get. Why, I saw people get their nostrils black with soot, just after cooking one meal over the open fire.

We've been exposed to lots of smoke throughout our history. And now you complain about a whiff of some cig smoke? Please. You little wusses would not have survived.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 2

#19 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

The nicotine high, such as it is... After all, that's the reason people use tobacco.

I hate being around smoke and am very sensitive to it...

My mother quit as well, but after I moved out a couple of years ago. It's sad the amount of arguments her addiction (and my sensitivity to it) caused. Right now I live in a non-smoking apartment building. But there are undoubtedly neighbors who are violating it, as I smell it through the walls sometimes and i immediately get a knee jerk, angry reaction. It kind of makes me feel like a prude (not that cigarette smoking is in any way like sex of course). But that's because I am probably sub-consciously looking in the wrong place for approval. Namely a society which approves of a ton of unhealthy habits. Sadly, those of us who prefer clean air are still in the minority.

I think it makes perfect sense that second hand smoke is annoying. It smells like shit, we know it harms our health, and we're being subjected to it so some uncaring drug addict can get their fix. I don't see anything neurotic about being annoyed by cigarette smoke. The smoking rate in America has dropped to somewhere around 20%, and I expect it to fall farther. I think it's safe to say that the majority of people prefer clean air.

humans are superbly adapted to all kinds of smoke.

This wins the "Most Profoundly Wrong" award.

Niner, why does it seem like everywhere I go in America there are several people smoking somewhere? I mean if this 20% number is real. I don't think there is a single day when I do not encounter smokers somewhere, in pairs or small groups. It makes it seem as if the number is closer to 70% even though it isn't. Better put, it makes it seem as if th0se who prefer not to smoke are in the 20% range. Why is this?

Edited by TheFountain, 08 May 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#20 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

Sources? Use of fire is what made an ape a human. Many animals use tools. Use of fire is what separated humans from the rest of the animals.

Electricity as the source of light has been around -- for majority of population-- less than 100 years. Until then, it has been something burning and emitting smoke, be it an oil lamp, a candle, which, by the way, only the rich could afford (the majority used a dry stick to lit their homes, for a long, long time). Not to mention cooking. You should go camping one of these days and see what sort of smoke exposure you get. Why, I saw people get their nostrils black with soot, just after cooking one meal over the open fire.

We've been exposed to lots of smoke throughout our history. And now you complain about a whiff of some cig smoke? Please. You little wusses would not have survived.

But isn't it an oversimplification to equate fire with the chemical burning that occurs when someone lights a cigarette? Similarly, when someone throws a plastic object into a fire, or paint, or canisters of various other chemicals, how do you think our ancestors would have faired against this in the long term? Do you think it likely their lungs would have held up well or that they would have been 'wussies' had they succumbed to lung disease? As stated earlier, Todays Tobacco is filled with additives and chemicals. So you're not just burning up a natural plant. And even if you were the health implications of it are still quite severe when inhaled constantly.

Edited by TheFountain, 08 May 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#21 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

But isn't it an oversimplification to equate fire with the chemical burning that occurs when someone lights a cigarette? Similarly, when someone throws a plastic object into a fire, or paint, or canisters of various other chemicals, how do you think our ancestors would have faired against this in the long term? Do you think it likely their lungs would have held up well or that they would have been 'wussies' had they succumbed to lung disease? As stated earlier, Todays Tobacco is filled with additives and chemicals. So you're not just burning up a natural plant. And even if you were the health implications of it are still quite severe when inhaled constantly.

You're being neurotic. If you wanna complain about the real threat, that's first of all, diesel exhaust and second, good ole American BBQ (omitting industrial chem plants like around Elizabeth, NJ, and places in PA where most still use coal). Whatever chemicals you get second-hand from a cig is really nothing compared to sitting by "all natural" fire at night. What you object to is smell. And here no one argues: it's disgusting.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 2

#22 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

You're being neurotic. If you wanna complain about the real threat, that's first of all, diesel exhaust and second, good ole American BBQ (omitting industrial chem plants like around Elizabeth, NJ, and places in PA where most still use coal). Whatever chemicals you get second-hand from a cig is really nothing compared to sitting by "all natural" fire at night. What you object to is smell. And here no one argues: it's disgusting.

Diesel Exhaust certainly has its place in air pollution and green house emissions, and that is definitely a threat. But not a short term threat in the way that second hand smoke is, due to proximity and lack of avoidance for people with Asthma or allergy for example. I think a neurotic would depreciate the other threats in favor of the one they are focusing on primarily. It could also be said to be neurotic denialism when one is consumed with excuses and back lashes aimed to shift focus to 'other' threats in the environment. Smokers are known to depreciate the dangers of their vice in favor of magnifying other dangers. It's similar to (but not exactly like) saying it's okay to snort cocaine on a windy day, in a crowded place, because the world is just a messed up place. I believe the one point is not entirely at the mercy of the other philosophically or sociologically.

#23 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Niner, why does it seem like everywhere I go in America there are several people smoking somewhere? I mean if this 20% number is real. I don't think there is a single day when I do not encounter smokers somewhere, in pairs or small groups. It makes it seem as if the number is closer to 70% even though it isn't. Better put, it makes it seem as if th0se who prefer not to smoke are in the 20% range. Why is this?

If there are ten people in a bar, and two of them are smoking, that's 20%. The smokers probably stand out because they are filling everyone's air with smoke, and that's annoying, so you tend to notice it. You might be hanging out in places where smokers hang out. These days, most indoor places are non-smoking, at least where I live. I really don't encounter smokers much these days.

#24 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

If there are ten people in a bar, and two of them are smoking, that's 20%. The smokers probably stand out because they are filling everyone's air with smoke, and that's annoying, so you tend to notice it. You might be hanging out in places where smokers hang out. These days, most indoor places are non-smoking, at least where I live. I really don't encounter smokers much these days.

In Philadelphia? That's quite shocking. Most Urban environments to my senses seem to be stressful enough to incite people to take up vices. I also notice more smoking in 'white trash' areas of the country, which I wonder about, since these people live less eventful/stressful lives than those in Urban environments.

Edited by TheFountain, 09 May 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#25 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

In Philadelphia? That's quite shocking. Most Urban environments to my senses seem to be stressful enough to incite people to take up vices. I also notice more smoking in 'white trash' areas of the country, which I wonder about, since these people live less eventful/stressful lives than those in Urban environments.

I've read somewhere that the more education a person has the less likely they are to smoke. These white trash people you talk about are just comparatively stupid and primitive compared to those with higher education.

#26 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

I've read somewhere that the more education a person has the less likely they are to smoke. These white trash people you talk about are just comparatively stupid and primitive compared to those with higher education.

That's a point to consider, but I have seen my fair share of professors, teachers, and doctors who smoke. Whenever I walk past my local hospital there are always nurses and physicians outside lighting up. So I am not sure if education alone is the determining factor. What about social pressure?

#27 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Having a roaring trash fire inches from your nose is a quite unnatureal.

The incidence of lung disease in Mongolia is quite high. Most of the population still spends a lot of time inside tents that are heated by wood-fires, the chimney is just a hole at the top of the tent. Superbly adapted or not, they still get sick from the smoke. Incomplete combustion of organic matter inevitably produces carcinogens. Bet to avoid them.
  • like x 1

#28 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

That's a point to consider, but I have seen my fair share of professors, teachers, and doctors who smoke. Whenever I walk past my local hospital there are always nurses and physicians outside lighting up. So I am not sure if education alone is the determining factor. What about social pressure?

This is just from my own experience but I generally find that the more intelligent people who do smoke started doing it when it was acceptable to and they just never quit. The people who I have encountered who were born in the age where smoking was being frowned upon in society(around 18 I guess) are not exactly PhD material if you know what I'm saying. They are not critical thinkers, are not good students academically, do not read about a wide variety of subjects, go to a lot of parties etc etc.
Social Pressure has a part to do with it but I theorize that less intelligent people are more likely to bend to social pressure.

#29 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Personally I think it is an issue of class - with class not being determined by wealth or education level. The higher up the class scale, the less likely a person is to smoke. There are always exceptions but the principle is sound.

#30 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

As Niner said above, nicotine and the pleasure that people get from smoking plus weight loss. I was also meaning it in a general sense so obese people get the pleasures of food like cakes and chocolate while crushing me when sitting on a train, excessive alcohol drinkers get to have drunken fun while I get to look at their puke on the path etc.Of course I also get the pleasure of higher taxes to cover their medical bills...At least where I live, alcohol and tobacco have some taxes applied to cover part of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users