- - - - -

Budget Skincare

skin care budged cheap

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

Paula Begoun has good information on what is a good sunscreen. Look into her books, website, and newsletter. Some sunscreen companies make false claims, although I have not looked at the one in question. The US government allows sunscreen makers to make false claims, unfortunately. I would not believe too much in sunscreens, use them but try to use a hat, visor, long-sleeves, shade, etc. too. Even the best ones may turn out not to have been that great. There are many spectrums of sunlight. In Australia they recognize UVC rays. In the future, more may be discovered.

Edited by Luminosity, 10 September 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#32 Raza

• Topic Starter
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

@sdxl -Thread looks useful, thanks. M'glad you enjoyed knowing something that I didn't, while it lasted.

@Luminosity - UVC rays aren't new though, really - it's just that they're effectively filtered out by our atmosphere everywhere else. If the same general wavelength rule holds up as does for radiation types, they'll be easier to block than anything else and ordinary sunblocks should suffice for them, with only the importance of wearing one increasing. Looks to me like the trick area is where UV turns into 'ordinary' light... and there, your prediction may well hold true, I think. Still, if that happens, artificial light may turn out to have been no safer.

I think I'm just going to make the switch to the mineral I was already planning on getting next that much sooner.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Considering that you are in Europ, you want a high SPF sunscreen with either Tinosorb S and M (these can be had dirt cheap in Europe, for cosmetically acceptable results it may be a couple of EUR more unless you live in the UK and can buy Booth's awesomely priced Soltan Face line) or Mexoryl (also contained in the cheaper LOreal products, not just LRP and Anthelios which I consider to be sheer rip off)

Edited by nupi, 10 September 2012 - 08:26 AM.

• like x 1

#34 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'm not a Longecity Member, as you can see from my forum tag.

And compared to upper price range commercial cosmetics, most everything is a bargain. Getting enthusiastic about that is called a relativity trap.

I apologize for the critical attitude; things that feel like advertising set that off in me. It's a lifesaving reflex in this world, I'm afraid.

Hey, no problem. No offense. I can't believe I sound so much like a marketer, but I guess that is what I do with people/products I know that support life extension. Be sure to tell me to knock-it off if it gets to be too much, but it seems like this thread was built for such a discussion. I buy Juvess not only because it is made by a Longecity member, and I get a discount, but also because the maker of Juvess used to (maybe still does) send a percentage of profits to anti-aging research (to SENS or the Methuselah Foundation, if I remember correctly).

#35 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Considering that you are in Europ, you want a high SPF sunscreen with either Tinosorb S and M (these can be had dirt cheap in Europe, for cosmetically acceptable results it may be a couple of EUR more unless you live in the UK and can buy Booth's awesomely priced Soltan Face line) or Mexoryl (also contained in the cheaper LOreal products, not just LRP and Anthelios which I consider to be sheer rip off)

I am sorry to ask in this noobish way, but somehow reading up on sunscreens makes my head spin.

I'm in Europe (Austria). I'd need a fire&forget cheap (or cheapish) sunscreen for outdoor activities and would be happy if I didn't have to reapply every 2 hours. Cosmetic effect is of no concern to me.

I could get Soltan over amazon.co.uk at a reasonable price, is there anything else that you would recommend? Especially something I might buy in a shop in german-speaking countries (Neutrogena seems to be ok, Nivea, etc.)

thank you so much.

#36 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

If you don't want to reapply every 2 hours (who would?) and cosmetic effects are not a concern, you'd be a good candidate for a physical UV-blocker, like zinc oxide or other metal oxides. I think there are even cosmetically "acceptable" formulations, although they might be expensive.

#37 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

I could get Soltan over amazon.co.uk at a reasonable price, is there anything else that you would recommend? Especially something I might buy in a shop in german-speaking countries (Neutrogena seems to be ok, Nivea, etc.)

There are lots of threads here on the topic. What you are looking for is something with a high amount of zinc oxide preferrably so you don't need to reapply. I'm from germany but didn't find something like that here, I looked for quite some time. I ordered burnout sunscreen (clean and clear) from their official website in the end. However, it does make you look a bit more pale, so it was not for me. If aesthetics is not important to you, just order that one. I could also send you mine if you want, since I have no use for it and only used it twice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users