- - - - -

Do I look healthy or malnourished?

body body type abdominal muscle nutrition body dysmoprhia

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

It's difficult to judge oneself objectively for obvious reasons. But then it is also difficult to make all encompassing objective determinations, since most of us have quite subjective determinants for what is considered 'healthy looking'. However I ask that you all approach this from the perspective of knowing that I am not trying to be a body builder. Just lean and toned for the most part.

I've been slacking a little lately, but what I do is:

1-Work out with weights. I guess you would consider it light weights between 30-40 pounds, depending on the exercise.

2-Do a number of abdominal exercises, which I hope is obvious by looking at the picture (low res as it might be).

3-A lot of walking.

Diet is like this currently:

yogurt, berries, fruit, nuts, seeds, eggs, large salads, sardines, shrimp, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, lentils yada yada yada. A lot of water, and a cup of tea here and there.

An assortment of supplements.

Posted Image

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

Healthy. Certainly not malnourished. But the image quality reminds me of one of those pictures of the Loch Ness Monster... :)
  • like x 3

#3 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

Not to worry. You look very healthy.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Healthy. Certainly not malnourished. But the image quality reminds me of one of those pictures of the Loch Ness Monster... :)

And I actually selected the 5 megapixel option too. Apparently I may have to exchange my motorola triumph.

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

Not to worry. You look very healthy.

You know what I mean though? It can be very difficult to judge oneself in that way. Of course appearance doesn't mean everything, but it adds a little extra psychological component that can hopefully cancel out the component that causes body dysmorphia.

Edited by TheFountain, 11 June 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#6 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Just want to touch on something about macronutrient rationing and its apparent variable results. I don't consume a high amount of fat currently. Maybe 50-70 grams a day. I do consume about 150 grams of carbs though. I don't know if another person would get different results on this ratio but it is likely to depend on height and I guess apolipoprotein phenotype? I eat plenty of Banana's, potatoes and lentils for carbs. Still eat oatmeal once in a while, but try to minimize it because I think it contains antinutrients (gliadin like proteins perhaps) which can eat away at the body in excess.

#7 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

You don't look unhealthy or malnourished at all, just look like you have a low body fat percentage. Your body is pretty much a smaller, 15 year younger version of mine.

#8 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

One sec, and I will post a shot so you can see what I mean. The difference is that I lift heavier and do more intense cardio that what you say you are doing. My diet is loosely based on paleo... in other words, I adopt most of the principles, but I do break them in moderation. You will see that there really isn't much of a difference between us other than my age forcing me to go more intense to keep up with the younger guys.

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

See below: 6'0 (and a half) @ 188

The biggest thing to remember is that the older you get, the more you have to work at it. Sadly.

Attached Files

Edited by mikeinnaples, 13 June 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#10 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

I think some guys just have a naturally more robust frame too. But then that's something that can be worked on and I suppose lifting heavier will increase my bone density, whenever I can get around to those kinds of gains. I think of guys like Muhammad ali and Bruce lee when I think of naturally smaller framed guys. Of course ali was over 6 feet, but still maintained basic muscle mass, and lee was able to maintain a tight, muscular figure through out most of his young life. Not sure how this would translate into a fight or flight scenario, but both men did dominate much bigger and (presumably) stronger men.

#11 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

No argument from me.

I believe Bruce Lee was the 'ideal' physical specimen. He had such a perfect combination of strength, flexibility, and speed... and an absolutely insane amount of core strength.

#12 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

He also had an abundance of respect for Muhammad Ali for that same reason. Ali was arguably the fastest puncher in the world till Roy Jones jr. came along.

#13 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

You look healthy.

#14 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

Thanks. I don't know why some of us suffer from body dysmorphia other than to say the media is a serious problem. We as a comminity should really shut the baser aspects of it out.

#15 Balbina

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Very healthy and attractive look;)

#16 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks. I don't know why some of us suffer from body dysmorphia other than to say the media is a serious problem. We as a comminity should really shut the baser aspects of it out.

Sure the media is a serious problem on both ends. The current push in media and social outlets for 'fat' acceptance is what makes me really upset though. There should be no room in anyone's lives for accepting obesity.
  • like x 1

#17 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

I can't argue with that. Though I do my best to treat overweight individuals with respect as well, the disconnect between their bodies and their minds is frustrating to observe. On the other hand one can be really thin and unhealthy too. There are plenty of the skinny fat types out there which is also unacceptable in terms of health outcome but admittedly easier to get past than a serious obesity problem.

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Very healthy and attractive look;)

Oh, thank you.

#19 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Wow, I have to start mountain climbing again! As if I ever did it before, but am discovering NJ's preserves and parks for the first time in recent months and walking a lot. I hide behind clothing and am showered with compliments all the time for being 43 and looking 15-18 years younger, but if I had to de-shirt, I would be embarassed. Too much almond butter and hummous!

You are both in excellent physical shape and should have no hangups or self doubt whatsoever but should rather be very pleased with your physical state. Very cool. A statement for fitness and health.

#20 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

Wow, I have to start mountain climbing again! As if I ever did it before, but am discovering NJ's preserves and parks for the first time in recent months and walking a lot. I hide behind clothing and am showered with compliments all the time for being 43 and looking 15-18 years younger, but if I had to de-shirt, I would be embarassed. Too much almond butter and hummous!

You are both in excellent physical shape and should have no hangups or self doubt whatsoever but should rather be very pleased with your physical state. Very cool. A statement for fitness and health.

I think you'd likely look even younger if you got into some sort of regular exercise regimen, lowered your body fat percentage a little. I don't subscribe to the idea that lower body fat=face not looking as young. That's counter intuitive reasoning to me. To me, no matter how old someone is the lower their body fat percentage the thinner their face will be. If one has a youthful appearance already they will maintain that and simply have a more contoured face with the lowered body fat percentage. But in any event it seems very counter intuitive to maintain higher body fat levels because of fear of losing fat in the face.

#21 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

You were both very attractive until you started ragging on heavy people.

If being mean to heavy people would cure them, then we wouldn't have any.
  • dislike x 1

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:49 AM

I didn't see anyone being mean to heavy people. I mean, c'mon. This is an extreme health crowd. People here do things like weighing everything they eat and entering it in Cron-O-Meter, or taking 40 pills a day, or running experiments on themselves with untested substances. We argue endlessly over macronutrient ratios. If you seriously expect to find a "fat-friendly" forum, maybe Oprah has one, or there must be a billion BBW forums. Obesity is one of the biggest health problems in the world. Encouraging fat people to stay fat is being mean to them. Should we encourage them to start smoking, too?. At least it would help them lose weight...
  • like x 5

#23 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

For the record if I have expressed even the slightest opposition to obesity it is not because it isn't socially acceptable. It is because it isn't acceptable for long term health. But that is the problem in this country. The argument is always about appearance when it comes to obesity. I say we make it about health outcomes.
  • like x 2

#24 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

What !? This is what I said:

The current push in media and social outlets for 'fat' acceptance is what makes me really upset though. There should be no room in anyone's lives for accepting obesity.

There is nothing mean about that. Nothing. I think you are being highly sensitive and seeing things that aren't there. My comments and feeling on obesity are 100% out of love for my fellow human so that they can live long, healthy, and active lives ....and hopefully reach escape velocity.

#25 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

I didn't see anyone being mean to heavy people. I mean, c'mon. This is an extreme health crowd. People here do things like weighing everything they eat and entering it in Cron-O-Meter, or taking 40 pills a day, or running experiments on themselves with untested substances. We argue endlessly over macronutrient ratios. If you seriously expect to find a "fat-friendly" forum, maybe Oprah has one, or there must be a billion BBW forums. Obesity is one of the biggest health problems in the world. Encouraging fat people to stay fat is being mean to them. Should we encourage them to start smoking, too?. At least it would help them lose weight...

I couldn't have responded any better.

#26 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

I think you'd likely look even younger if you got into some sort of regular exercise regimen, lowered your body fat percentage a little. I don't subscribe to the idea that lower body fat=face not looking as young. That's counter intuitive reasoning to me. To me, no matter how old someone is the lower their body fat percentage the thinner their face will be. If one has a youthful appearance already they will maintain that and simply have a more contoured face with the lowered body fat percentage. But in any event it seems very counter intuitive to maintain higher body fat levels because of fear of losing fat in the face.

I would think you would say Fie! to that Suffer your fanny for your face adage. I am not sure. I have definitely maintained a decent percentage of body fat and am probably reluctant to lose it, sitting atop it like whatever that lizard's name is that sits atop its own dung mound! But, I do see your perspective and will try to be openminded but am not sure if it will work. Thanx for replying.

#27 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I would think you would say Fie! to that Suffer your fanny for your face adage.

Translation?

#28 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Translation: Based upon what you have said, you are not likely to support the statement "Suffer your fanny for your face".
Not sure where it originated from, but it is a saying that implies you have to have a fat ass (particularly later in life) to keep a healthy, youthful face.
I don't think you would agree with that sentiment.

Edited by Brafarality, 03 July 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#29 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Not sure where it originated from, but it is a saying that implies you have to have a fat ass (particularly later in life) to keep a healthy, youthful face.

:)

That's only for a genetically specific subset of people though. For example, in my family there is a tendency to put on weight in the face, to the point of getting jowly, even while maintaining very low body fat percentages.

Edited by viveutvivas, 03 July 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#30 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

Translation: Based upon what you have said, you are not likely to support the statement "Suffer your fanny for your face".
I don't think you would agree with that sentiment.

Oh absolutely not. It is counter-intuitive to the max in my way of viewing health.

To simplify it I will say it like this. If you need a fat face to look young then you're not that young to begin with on a biological level. This statement issues from the fact that people with youthful appearances that are based on health (and a degree of sun protection) instead of botox usually retain them despite how low their body fat is, or how skinny their faces are.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: body, body type, abdominal muscle, nutrition, body dysmoprhia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users