Photo
- - - - -

Fluoride Exposure Means Lower IQ?!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Application

• 153 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

Baten, if you're avoiding fluoride in all possible forms, aren't you at all concerned about bone or tooth strength? Or do you figure that you get enough fluoride already, from tea or whatever?

Where do you find that Fluoride is beneficial to health at all? The previous study I posted showed that Fluoride levels (at a level exactly the same as my water district in the United States) is harmful. Seems like you feel the need to hold onto your previous knowledge (ego protection?), even when presented conclusive evidense against it.

Agree. I haven't seen evidence that humans require any fluoride, period. There is no RDA for it. There are no fluoride deficiency syndromes or symptoms. Fluoride can occupy iodine receptors in the body, which unlike fluoride, we definitely need.

There are some studies showing dental benefit, but there is much contradictory data.

#32 tritium

• 384 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

All you've shown is harmful effects from high levels of fluoride. If your water is high enough to cause a problem, then you have a very good reason to avoid it. I was just wondering why someone would want to avoid ALL fluoride.

I had another journal under post #22 which shows the harm under low levels of fluoride titled, "The relationships between low levels of urine fluoride on children’s intelligence, dental fluorosis in endemic fluorosis areas in Hulunbuir, Inner Mongolia, China. Attatched is the full version for those interested.

Edited by tritium, 25 June 2012 - 03:42 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

No, not anything. Most things can not, in fact. Not enough to be pharmacologically significant, at any rate. Fluoride is a charged ion, which is the opposite of hydrophobic. Small hydrophobes tend to be available sublingually, but I wouldn't expect fluoride to be absorbed very effectively by that route.

Baten, if you're avoiding fluoride in all possible forms, aren't you at all concerned about bone or tooth strength? Or do you figure that you get enough fluoride already, from tea or whatever?

Alright thanks for clearing that up. About my fluoride intake, I'm sure there's a tiny bit in the 1.5-2l water I drink a day.
I also use fluoride floss (lol) which is probably just a marketing gimmick.

#34 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

My hygienist (who is apparently more keen than my dentist) told me to rinse my mouth with water not put through reverse osmosis (which removes most fluoride), since in her opinion drinking tap water and brushing with non-fluoride toothpaste is enough for tooth health. Or, she said, if I was going to not use mouthwash or toothpaste or tap water with fluoride, I should drink lots of tea. My dentist told me simply to brush with fluoride, and said I should rinse with fluoride before I left his office if I haven't used fluoridated toothpasted in months. I declined, and I talked with my hygenist, and she thought cavemen got it naturally. I don't think they did, and I don't think we need fluoride. Most of the cavemen probably ate diets which naturally regulated intestinal and oral flora, unlike the highly processed poisons which we eat in modern day society...so they didn't have much of a problem with tooth decay. The ones who ate badly and experienced tooth decay, probably also died young. Life's a bitch.

I'm not going to filter the fluoride out of my bathroom sink water (via a new reverse osmosis unit) yet, but if I don't get any cavities in six months w/o fluoride, I might consider taking it to the next level.

Edited by dasheenster, 25 June 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#35 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

All you've shown is harmful effects from high levels of fluoride. If your water is high enough to cause a problem, then you have a very good reason to avoid it. I was just wondering why someone would want to avoid ALL fluoride.

I had another journal under post #22 which shows the harm under low levels of fluoride titled, "The relationships between low levels of urine fluoride on children’s intelligence, dental fluorosis in endemic fluorosis areas in Hulunbuir, Inner Mongolia, China.

That's a perfect example of what I mean. The levels they call "low" in drinking water are HIGHER than target levels for water fluoridation, but more importantly, if you look at their data (Fig 2) you see that IQ actually goes UP as urinary fluoride increases from 0.4 to 0.7 mg/l, then drops back down til about 1.2 mg/l, then goes back up at ~1.4, then drops back down. You could just as easily use this data to argue for the existence of an "optimal" amount of fluoride at ~0.7mg/l. Ecologic studies of this type are fraught with problems, and IQ is susceptible to modification by a huge number of factors that are very difficult to control for. Thus I wouldn't use this data to argue much of anything. It's certainly not 'conclusive'.

Where do you find that Fluoride is beneficial to health at all? The previous study I posted showed that Fluoride levels (at a level exactly the same as my water district in the United States) is harmful. Seems like you feel the need to hold onto your previous knowledge (ego protection?), even when presented conclusive evidense against it.

Agree. I haven't seen evidence that humans require any fluoride, period. There is no RDA for it. There are no fluoride deficiency syndromes or symptoms. Fluoride can occupy iodine receptors in the body, which unlike fluoride, we definitely need.

There are some studies showing dental benefit, but there is much contradictory data.

There's no RDA for Lithium, either, but it's included in the best multivitamins on the planet. There's no RDA for a lot of things that we need. There's about a century worth of data showing the importance of fluoride in the development of healthy dentition, and it has been shown to substantially improve bone strength in osteoporosis when properly dosed. Fluoride and Iodide are like night and day, chemically, so I really doubt that there is any evidence that fluoride can occupy iodide receptors in any significant way. I am open to evidence, of course. Any negative effect that could be shown is undoubtedly at high levels, which I'm not arguing for. Believe it or not, I care about my own health, and am looking for the right amount of fluoride to ingest. There is absolutely zero evidence that the optimal amount is... zero. I guess it's just my "ego protection" at work, but I'm trying to look at the real evidence about fluoride and make decisions about it based on reality rather than emotion. The existence of an anti-fluoride, anti-science cult that floods the net with misinformation makes it hard for all of us to do this.

#36 Application

• 153 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

I had another journal under post #22 which shows the harm under low levels of fluoride titled, "The relationships between low levels of urine fluoride on children’s intelligence, dental fluorosis in endemic fluorosis areas in Hulunbuir, Inner Mongolia, China.

That's a perfect example of what I mean. The levels they call "low" in drinking water are HIGHER than target levels for water fluoridation, but more importantly, if you look at their data (Fig 2) you see that IQ actually goes UP as urinary fluoride increases from 0.4 to 0.7 mg/l, then drops back down til about 1.2 mg/l, then goes back up at ~1.4, then drops back down. You could just as easily use this data to argue for the existence of an "optimal" amount of fluoride at ~0.7mg/l. Ecologic studies of this type are fraught with problems, and IQ is susceptible to modification by a huge number of factors that are very difficult to control for. Thus I wouldn't use this data to argue much of anything. It's certainly not 'conclusive'.

There's no RDA for Lithium, either, but it's included in the best multivitamins on the planet. There's no RDA for a lot of things that we need. There's about a century worth of data showing the importance of fluoride in the development of healthy dentition, and it has been shown to substantially improve bone strength in osteoporosis when properly dosed. Fluoride and Iodide are like night and day, chemically, so I really doubt that there is any evidence that fluoride can occupy iodide receptors in any significant way. I am open to evidence, of course. Any negative effect that could be shown is undoubtedly at high levels, which I'm not arguing for. Believe it or not, I care about my own health, and am looking for the right amount of fluoride to ingest. There is absolutely zero evidence that the optimal amount is... zero. I guess it's just my "ego protection" at work, but I'm trying to look at the real evidence about fluoride and make decisions about it based on reality rather than emotion. The existence of an anti-fluoride, anti-science cult that floods the net with misinformation makes it hard for all of us to do this.

Here are a couple of study abstracts indicating that fluoride and iodine levels are inversely correlated in humans:

1. FLUORIDE, WATER HARDNESS, AND ENDEMIC GOITRE
"The prevalence of goitre in 17 Himalayan villages has been estimated. Water-samples from each village were taken, and levels of iodine, fluoride, and hardness determined. In 13 villages wide variations in goitre prevalence were not attributable to differences in iodine intake, which remained constant within a narrow range. Instead, variations in goitre prevalence were found to correlate closely with the fluoride content (ρ=0·74; P<0·01) and with the hardness (ρ=0·77; P<0·01) of the water in each village. The effects of fluoride and water hardness seem to be independent."

2. RESEARCH ON CORRELATION OF URINARY IODINE AND URINARY FLUORIDE
"Through researching on iodine-deficiency patients who take iodine and healthy people who don't take iodine respectively in iodine-deficiency area,to analyze whether there is relative relationship between urinary iodine and urinary fluoride in urine.[Methods]Took 26 people with simple goiter or with cretinism as experimental group and 24 healthy people as control group,measured their urinary iodine and urinary fluoride.[Results]The average of urinary iodine of experimental group and control group was(126.5±25.8)μg/L and(87.1 ±27.1)μg/L,P﹤0.01 respectively,while the average of urinary fluoride was(0.37±0.11)mg/L and(0.57±0.13)mg/L respectively. The correlation coefficient of urinary iodine and urinary fluoride was r=-0.723.[Conclusions]The average level of urinary iodine of people with simple goiter or with cretinism who take iodine is higher than healthy people who don't take iodine,however,as for urinary fluoride,the average level of which of people with simple goiter or with cretinism taking iodine is lower than healthy people without taking iodine. So it indicates that urinary iodine and urinary fluoride negatively correlate to each other. From this result,we conclude there is competition between urinary iodine and urinary fluoride when they are discharged in human."

#37 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Fluoride causes an IQ drop in just 1ppm administered over a lifetime. That's the case here. Most water supplies have more than 1ppm fluoride. Fluoride is a neuro toxin and is manufactured as a pesticide. Anyone who thinks fluoride is okay for you in small amounts obviously have been drinking too much fluoride. Nerotoxins are NOT okay to place in our water or in our food or in our toothpaste. By that logic we should all consume neuro toxins just in small amounts and it'll be fine. Our kids won't have neurological disorders from a lifetime of consuming a neurotoxin. But wait Ira okay cuz its in small amounts. I can't believe anyone would try to defend fluoride as being okay to put in water or toothpaste. So children with developing brains are fine consuming small amounts of neuro toxins? If that's the case then shit let's put drug residue in the water supply and antibiotics in the water supply. It'll make everyone healthier right? Oh wait there already are drug. But that's okay right? When I turn on my faucet to get a class of water I want water coming out it. Not neuro toxins and drug residue and fecal matter and urine and dirt and heavy metals. Maybe some of you on here are okay with putting that shit in your body but I'm not and I'm sure the rest of the population can agree that this is not good for us and our children and future generations. People need to think about the long term impact and not how its effecting them right now. Yeah I can drink fluoridated water and not feel stupid afterwards. But try five years and see what the difference is. Try ten years. What about your kids? What about their kids? So in a about 100 years we will have a population full of deformed, brain dead, idiots just because people today thought it's okay to put fluoride in our water.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#38 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Is borax SAFE? I read it is carcinogenic and might be harmful, so before I take it to remove stuck fluoride in my tissues I'd like to take any risks.
Also what is borax common dosage for detox?
When Openstrife talks about calcification of the pineal gland I think it already contaminated me a lot, it's been years I haven't dreamt at all except when I take melatonin supplements + we know how the US government really tries to control the minds with their evil projects and banning borax is just a way to keep the masses away from the antidote.

#39 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Is boron the same as borax, do they have the same anti-fluoride effects?
Also I can see there's homeopathic borax 5CH, is it any effective? I've always been suspicious towards homeopathy.

#40 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Just stop drinking fluoride. Drink purified water or purify your own water. There's a great gravity fed filter called ProPur. It's kinda pricey but for the price its the best filter I can find. You're body will detox unwanted substances on its own.

#41 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

We should get a group buy going on some fluoride ;)

#42 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

The low levels of fluoride in tap water, based on the evidence, is probably not too harmful. However, the theory for using it seems illogical and wasteful. Brushing teeth with fluoride toothpaste would be a vastly superior method of protecting teeth (if you subscribe to the theory that fluoride is necessary to have healthy teeth).

It just smells like a money-making scam to me - a crony capitalist situation - selling fluoride to local governments.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#43 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

As a child, I took a few fluoride drops every month (and swallowed them) for dental hygiene 0_o

Does anyone know if this is actually correct, though? Not a totally reliable source, but...

Has anyone here seen Dr. Strangelove? Kinda reminiscent.

Edited by brainslug, 23 March 2013 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users