• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Superannuated

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#31 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:34 PM

your creativity/efforts are at once fascinating and hilarious. Huge creativity. So - just a nudge in direction please... keep in mind that we are trying to find a third word to complete the continuum of "young" and "old"...both are one syllable. So t'would be good if our target word were something symmetrical syllabically with them - so, you could say "I can't wait until I'm a [Supra]" or "this new generation of [Thuselahs] are spendthrifts" or "I'm a [perm](anent:-) so don't mess with me.

dg

• Lurker

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

"ageless"?

"Achronos" (without years/time), "Ageros" (without age) - the "a" in front of the word means "without" ; also "Eonios" (timeless/millennial)

But I think Methuselan sounds the best.

#33 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

So - just a nudge in direction please... keep in mind that we are trying to find a third word to complete the continuum of "young" and "old"...both are one syllable. So t'would be good if our target word were something symmetrical syllabically with them

I'm still partial to Nate's suggestion:

revirescent (rev ih RES unt) adj. growing young or strong again
revirescence n.

This word seems to precisely describe an inverse perpetuation of getting chronologically older while getting physically younger.

The Revirescentians.

In short form:

Whoa, look, here come some revirs!

Or

My new boss is a revir!

(pronounced revv-er or ree-ver, not sure which pronunciation would apply... presumably, the former would imply "cool", while the latter would be used in a derogatory way...)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:27 PM

re ever

#35 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:46 PM

rever (reversed aging), rever (revved life force) rever (someone to who reverence is owed), revd (REjuVenateD), reaver (mischievious and youthful), re ever (keep on keeping on)

so, this feels like a candidate - what say ye? Candidate?

#36 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:50 PM

revoir = French: "See Again"

#37 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

keep in mind that we are trying to find a third word to complete the continuum of "young" and "old"...both are one syllable. So t'would be good if our target word were something symmetrical syllabically with them

Hijack the brights?

We were once young, now we're old, soon we'll be light(s).

light

Noun - A way of looking at or considering a matter, I saw the situation in a different light, A person who inspires or is adored by another: My daughter is the light of my life.

Or perhaps...

We were once young, now we're old, soon we'll be right(s).

right

Noun - In or into a satisfactory state or condition: put things right.
Verb - To put in or restore to an upright or proper position: They righted their boat.

#38 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:38 PM

Two syllable, newly created word to describe the relationship of my sim-sister, Infernity, may be considered:

infi

affection beyond temporal or words

Can also mean:

We were once young, now we're old, soon we'll be infi.

infi

free from the blight of involuntary death

#39 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the props, Jay!

Mr. Gobel, without bias to my own or anyone else’s suggestion, I’m not sure I see a necessary connection between the number of syllables in “young” and “old,” which is a happenstance of arbitrarily derived descriptors, and the number of syllables that there should be in a word used to optimize their dichotomy. Additionally, I think people tend to be drawn to somewhat esoteric terminology of multiple syllables, if it accurately describes them, since it provides a sense of unique and sophisticated identification.

#40 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

Call me Dave please.

As you say, it's not necessary. It was just an observation...and I invite you to examine the relative worth of a 3 or 4 letter url vs a longer one. I think you'll find a power law in favor of short and sweet. Schwartzenegger of course proves me wrong.

mileage may vary,
Dave

#41 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

Nate:

Old; and geriatric, gerontology, gerontological, etc.
Young; and juvenile, etc.

There's a short word, and a long, often esoteric form.

Revirescence makes a great esoteric form, but I like revir (or rever, as Dave put it) makes a great short form of a noun, and rev'd makes a great adjective! Especially when rev'd can apply to revirescence and rejuvenated, a sort of dualism.

Actually, another nice thing about revirescent is the intimation of virile! Older people, especially the men, definitely won't mind an insuation of virility, now will they?

#42 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

By the way, perhaps I'm biased towards Revirescence because the CD in my car's deck is by Evanescence...

Hmm, and senescence... There's something about a word ending in -escence that is intriguing, which draws interest. If senescence weren't bad for you, it'd be a much more popular word...

Actually, in senescence, a cell senesces. So, instead of rejuvenating, a chronologically old but biologically young person reviresces?

Hmm, I suppose I shouldn't get too attached to the term until all entries are in...

#43 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:01 PM

revi = revitalized, revir = re virile

#44 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

young, old, rev

then, as we get to various levels of rejuvenation, I'm a rev 2.5 :-)

#45 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

Err, Dave, do you still want to do a vote thingy, or are you as attached as I am?

#46 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:15 PM

MethuselahMouse …and I invite you to examine the relative worth of a 3 or 4 letter url vs a longer one. I think you'll find a power law in favor of short and sweet.

That’s a good point, Dave, the power law as it’s applied to URL lengths being a phenomenon you’re likely to know more about than I.

jaydfox Old; and geriatric, gerontology, gerontological, etc.
Young; and juvenile, etc.

There's a short word, and a long, often esoteric form.

Jay, you’re right. The significance of a shorter word now seems clear to me.

Back to the drawing board… ;oþ

#47 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

Provivos, Longevinators, Juverons, and infinivy

I agree about short and sweet but there is a socio-linguistic problem with short words requiring a tangible context to be absorbed or come off as gibberish.

We see this in *product branding* as a manifestation memetics.

How about Phoenixers? (Phoenixes)

It is lot better than Sphinxters :))

#48 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:51 PM

Neochrons. Heh, couldn't help a stab at the Repubs.

#49 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

Pristen

From the Latin words priscus, meaning "venerable" (definiens: worthy of respect as a result of great age, wisdom, remarkable achievements, or similar qualities), and tenera, meaning "young."

#50 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:22 PM

Or, "pristen" (PRIS tun) could be modified into "pristene" (pris TEEN), a homonym of "pristine," which is itself a positive word and not very unrelated.

#51 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:19 PM

Err, Dave, do you still want to do a vote thingy, or are you as attached as I am?

nope - too early to vote - whatever we go with...we'll be stuck with it for a long, long, long, long, long

time,
dg

#52 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:26 PM

I like Neochrons Jay.

Sometimes there is no better tactic than to steal someone's thunder. After all that is what they are doing to begin with as a tactic.

#53 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:07 PM

The main problem with neochrons is that (I hope) the neocon philosophy will fall out of favor some time in the next 40-100 years, which is when this word will probably begin to apply to a sizeable percentage of the former elderly in the developed nations.

#54 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:25 PM

ok - suggestions are slowing...so, let's vote for the 'top 3' candidates. I'd like to cast a wider net later on and use the top 3 as potential winners, and as suggestions to stimulate further candidates. Thanks for these wonderful ideas. If one of the 'top 3' eventually wins, then the original suggestor gets the 100 bucks :-)

dg

#55 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:58 PM

Before naming my three favorites so far...

I think Neochrons would be a useful word in a political context. The Republican party has been hijacked to a certain extent by the Neocon philosophy and its rabid (I meant avid...) supporters.

Perhaps we need to interject some of the Neochron philosophy into the political spectrum to balance things out.

(edit: fixed spelling mistake)

#56 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

Okay, my favorite is still Nate's suggestion. Dave's been busy doing some wordplay on it as well.

In the short form:
adj: rev'd/rev'ing (depending on usage)
noun: revir/rever (person) [pronounced revver/reaver]
verb: rev (transitive or intransitive), revir (transitive) [pronounced like revere], reviresce (intransitive)

Long form:
adj: revirescent
adv: revirescently
noun: revirescence (state of being), revirescent (person) [consider: fluorescence is a state, but you would call a fluorescent person a fluorescent, because they have the property of fluorescence; i.e. two different noun forms, one being sort of like a nominative adjective in a way]
verb: reviresce (intransitive), revirify or something similar (transitive)

Hmm, I'm still deciding on two and three...

#57 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:12 PM

revirify or something similar (transitive)

revirate?

#58 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:41 PM

Jay, I agree with your trial grammar on revver, and also like Neochron (I can see the press picking that one up as the new name for LE oriented "gray panthers").

#59 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:31 PM

By the way, perhaps I'm biased towards Revirescence because the CD in my car's deck is by Evanescence...

It's been bugging me, trying to figure out why Evanescence (and hence revirescence) seem to have an appeal, like they intimate a word I already know.

Effervescence.

A positive word, at least in marketing. I'm not sure if this is the true appeal, but when the word popped in my head on the way to the break room (to eat some ramen; saving up for M Prize), it just clicked, ya know?

#60 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

Okay, I've picked my favorite, but for my second and third pick?

Well, now that I've looked over all the suggestions another few times, I must say that there have been many good suggestions, so picking just three is tough. Prometheus's "ageros" is pretty good, except that it starts with "age", which could be a detriment.

However, I think I like pretty much all of inarchunite's suggestions. I will narrow it down to just three of them that I think pass the cool, spiffy, or neat test:

2. Machronians / Makro-Chronics / Kronics /

or in short: Machs, Macronics, Maks
(comes from greek: "makro-chronios", means - lasting a long time, lingering, dwelling a long time, long-lived)

3. Epichrons / Epikrons

or in short: epics / epiks
(greek - "epichronios": lasting for a time, long)

4. Aeviters

or in short: Aevits, ( Aevers ) <-- I think this term rules.
(from latin - "aevĭtas" , means - time unending, immortality, for endless ages, to endure forever [sed etiam mortales deos ad aevitatem temporis edidit]

No offense to semps, meklars, or maks; they're all good, but I'm not sure if they're as meme-able as the other three, and besides, I needed a smaller list.

Okay, out of those three, I like, in descending order, 3, 4, and 2.

Therefore, for my three picks, in descending order (i.e. my favorite first, and descending to less favorites):

1. Revirescence (Nate Barna)
2. Epichrons / Epikrons (inarchunite)
3. Aeviters (inarchunite)

Grammatically, I'm not sure how to turn either 2 or 3 into a verb, but the noun and adjective forms seem self-explanatory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users