• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Are nootropics hard on the liver / kidney?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jubai

• 130 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:25 PM

When I look at the stacks of some individuals on this forum (80 supplements a day???), I have a hard time believing that this is easy on these organs. I mean, that is a shitload of powder and stuff to digest and filter.

What are your opinions on this?

#2 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

I worry about such things also.

I have read that piracetam seems to be very safe; I'm not sure if there is enough data on many of the other popular substances.

~~~
As far as being the stuff being in powdered form, it doesn't matter. What matters is what the substance is and how it's metabolized.
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

who knows, right

#4 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:48 PM

Like anything else. Moderation Moderation Moderation

#5 cesium

• 138 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:04 PM

If there were any serious detrimental effects I'm sure it would have been noted in some of the studies done on these substances, at least with those that have been around a long time and have been extensively studied like Piracetam.

#6 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:27 PM

Nootropics, by definition, are not toxic. Piracetam has not been shown to be toxic at any level. Not all the substances discussed on the nootropics board really fit the definition (Modafinil is a good example).

#7 velocidex

• 75 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:16 AM

Just because you define something to be a nootropic because it's not "apparently" toxic doesn't mean that it is not, in fact, toxic. The toxicity may not be acute, but may be cumulative, and apparent only with chronic use.

Toxicity also has no meaning in isolation. Pretty much anything is toxic at high enough doses. This includes water and oxygen. We need to look at whether toxicity manifests at common human dosages.

#8 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:29 AM

I think piracetam has been shown, in and of itself, to be non-toxic at doses that fill up your stomach completely. I suppose if you started pouring it into your lungs, then it'd be toxic. ;) But yes, you are right in general velocidex.

#9 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:47 AM

I don't address this to anyone in particular, but it's also important to realize that non-toxic does not = safe. You can alter brain chemistry with a substance that is completely non-toxic and this change could affect you negatively, even in the case of piracetam.

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:37 AM

"You can alter brain chemistry with a substance that is completely non-toxic and this change could affect you negatively, even in the case of piracetam."

One can certainly wack out neurotransmitter levels with certain supps but I don't know that the racetams are one of those.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 bacopacabana

• 40 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

My liver enzymes always show up normal in the CBC. I don't know what other measures there are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users