• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How to become as strong as Louis Cyr? (strongest man who ever lived)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Cyr
I can not and will not beleive that Louis Cyr's strength is unattainable.

Reputation as a strongman

While several of Cyr's feats of strength may have been exaggerated over the years, some were documented and remain impressive. These included lifting a platform on his back holding 20 men, lifting a 500 pound (227 kg) weight with his finger and pushing a freight car up an incline. He also beat Eugen Sandow's bent press record (and therefore the heaviest weight lifted with one hand) by 2 pounds to a total of 273 pounds (124 kg).[2]\
Perhaps his greatest feat occurred in 1895, when he was reported to have lifted 4,337 pounds (1,967 kg) on his back in Boston by putting 18 men on a platform and lifting them.[3] Perhaps one of his most memorable displays of strength occurred in Montreal on October 12, 1891. Louis resisted the pull of four draught horses (two in each hand) as grooms stood cracking their whips to get the horses to pull harder.[1]
In The Strongest Man in History, Ben Weider says that Cyr's records remain "uncontested and incontestable."[3]

It's not developing the strength that I think is the problem, I've only been strength training for 1 year and I wasn't even 100% dedicated in my training(I now currently am though) and I can already deadlift 400lbs(with a belt and elbow sleeves, no wrist straps). I think it's the connective tissue that hold your bones and muscles together that is the major limiting factor. How can one strengthen his connective tissue to withstand a Louis Cyr level of weight?

Edited by The Immortalist, 28 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#2 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

It's not developing the strength that I think is the problem, I've only been strength training for 1 year and I wasn't even 100% dedicated in my training(I now currently am though) and I can already deadlift 400lbs(with a belt and elbow sleeves, no wrist straps). I think it's the connective tissue that hold your bones and muscles together that is the major limiting factor. How can one strengthen his connective tissue to withstand a Louis Cyr level of weight?

Congrats on the deadlift. Impressive accomplishment for the first year! Connective tissue seems to strengthen slower than muscle and often it is joints/tendons that will experience injury before the muscle fails. I ruptured a biceps tendon when I was younger while progressing too quickly with heavy deadlifts. Strength athletes understand this and will adjust training to allow tendons to strengthen at the same rate as muscle. I never participated in power lifting so don't have a good grasp of training methods to allow the strengthening of tendons but know they take that into account in their training periodization. One of the problems with tendons and connective tissue is the lack of blood flow as compared to muscle tissue and as such, the slower nutrients will be delivered and utilized for tissue recovery and growth. I do mix hydrolyzed collagen into my protein shakes which is amino acids for connective tissue as muscle and tendons are made up of different amino acid combinations.

And Cyr was a genetic freak. I agree he had to have had extremely tough joints and tendons to avoid injury but his strength probably came from the nervous system and exceptional mind muscle connection and exceptional motor unit recruitment. Strength is half muscle but more importantly, the nervous system efficiency in activating the motor units and recruiting the muscle fibers...mind over matter...we've all heard stories about the 98 pound mother lifting the car when her child is trapped underneath.
  • like x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

I do mix hydrolyzed collagen into my protein shakes which is amino acids for connective tissue as muscle and tendons are made up of different amino acid combinations.

And Cyr was a genetic freak. I agree he had to have had extremely tough joints and tendons to avoid injury but his strength probably came from the nervous system and exceptional mind muscle connection and exceptional motor unit recruitment. Strength is half muscle but more importantly, the nervous system efficiency in activating the motor units and recruiting the muscle fibers...mind over matter...we've all heard stories about the 98 pound mother lifting the car when her child is trapped underneath.

Wow I can't believe I've never heard of hydrolyzed collagen before, I'll have to look into it. I wish I could have started it much earlier in hopes of making my tendons stronger.

I also agree Cyr was a genetic freak and I'm not a fool to think that I could match his TRUE genetic potential. The thing is Cyr didn't reach his full genetic potential. I think he probably had a terrible diet and drank a lot of beer and ate fatty meats all the time. He was 355lbs at 5'9"! That couldn't have been all muscle especially looking at how his physique looks like.
If Louis Cyr had used all the modern day supplements/training techniques available he would have been able to lift even more. He also died early at age 49 so he could have even squeezed a bit more gains out of his life before old age set in.

I am making my diet as healthy as possible so I can live for as long as possible while making as much strength gains for as long as I can so I can reach my true genetic potential. I am cutting out polyunsaturated oils, sugar, fructose, and all man made/modern foods. My diet is going to be 100% clean.
I also walk 30 mins a day for cardiovascular health.
I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to someday reach the level of Louis Cyr's false genetic potential with careful planning.

Edited by The Immortalist, 28 July 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#4 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

Wow I can't believe I've never heard of hydrolyzed collagen before, I'll have to look into it. I wish I could have started it much earlier in hopes of making my tendons stronger.

I am making my diet as healthy as possible so I can live for as long as possible while making as much strength gains for as long as I can so I can reach my true genetic potential. I am cutting out polyunsaturated oils, sugar, fructose, and all man made/modern foods. My diet is going to be 100% clean.
I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to someday reach the level of Louis Cyr's false genetic potential with careful planning.

Sounds like you are definitely on the right track at the right age!

This is the hydrolyzed collagen product I've been using:
http://greatlakesgel...ydrolysate.html

On a side note, in seeing Cyr's pic, he appears to have that natural genetic heavy boned frame and thick joints lending to the natural development and support of muscle and strength while avoiding tendon and joint injury. He appears genetically gifted with the thick tendons and joints and had a solid base to build on. And, like Babe Ruth, appeared to not live the healthiest lifestyle...but excelled in spite of it...apparently due to his natural genetic gifts.

#5 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

Sounds like you are definitely on the right track at the right age!

This is the hydrolyzed collagen product I've been using:
http://greatlakesgel...ydrolysate.html

On a side note, in seeing Cyr's pic, he appears to have that natural genetic heavy boned frame and thick joints lending to the natural development and support of muscle and strength while avoiding tendon and joint injury. He appears genetically gifted with the thick tendons and joints and had a solid base to build on. And, like Babe Ruth, appeared to not live the healthiest lifestyle...but excelled in spite of it...apparently due to his natural genetic gifts.

Does bigger joints and tendons really mean they are stronger? One of my friends is 6'8" and probably has close to 9 perhaps even 10 inch wrists(he's an extremely thick guy) and I beat him in an arm wrestle. lol my hand felt like it was almost completely covered by his.
Also I have 6.5 inch wrists(if I wrap my fingers around my wrist my thumb can touch my pinky).

Edited by The Immortalist, 29 July 2012 - 02:36 AM.

#6 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

Does bigger joints and tendons really mean they are stronger? One of my friends is 6'8" and probably has close to 9 perhaps even 10 inch wrists(he's an extremely thick guy) and I beat him in an arm wrestle. lol my hand felt like it was almost completely covered by his.
Also I have 6.5 inch wrists(if I wrap my fingers around my wrist my thumb can touch my pinky).

No, but having a heavier boned frame allows more possible support and attachment for possible musculature development (greater genetic potential)...you still have to do the work to build that musculature. Obviously your time under the iron has developed both your strength and motor unit recruitment ability. And often in strength and power sports (like arm wrestling), it's the superior mind muscle connection or better trained nervous system recruitment of muscle that allows for explosive power and performance rather than raw brute strength.

Sounds as if your 6'8" friend could benefit from your inspiration in the gym.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Louis Cyr probably had a genetic mutation that blocked the production of myostatin.

http://www.chinadail...tent_342496.htm

So anyone know of a supp to block myostatin production? :)

Edit: another link:
http://abcnews.go.co...=7231487&page=1

Edited by Logic, 29 July 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#8 luscar

• 24 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

It is possible using metric units? The not US people hardly understand this kind on units ( and science too use only metric units... )

#9 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Louis Cyr probably had a genetic mutation that blocked the production of myostatin.

This is what I was thinking as well. Maybe in the future there will be gene therapy to block the production of myostatin or mystatin blocker supplements that actually work.
Although even if they do having a Louise Cyr level of strength will still be confined to a select few individuals......I actually feel I may not make it to his level of strength unless they develop this technology. But when they do I want to be the first person to use it :)

Bodybuilder Flex wheeler apparently has the myostatin gene mutation. He also has 6.5 inch wrists

Edited by The Immortalist, 30 July 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#10 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

It is possible using metric units? The not US people hardly understand this kind on units ( and science too use only metric units... )

http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

I don't live in the US and was raised in a country that used metric and I can freely go between each system in my mind.

6'8" = 203.2 cm
6' = 182.9 cm

6.5 inches = 16.5 cm
10 inches = 25.4cm

Edited by The Immortalist, 30 July 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#11 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Myostatin has very little to do with strength. In fact while low levels of myostatin will promote muscle mass, they will also result in very weak tendons as myostatin is crucial for tendon density.

Also strength has very little to do with bulk muscle mass. That's why Cyr is not very bulky. It's all about the amount of muscle fibers you can activate from your brain. There are skinny men who can lift more than a professional bodybuilder. Of course we are talking about a single lift here. A professional bodybuilder has tons of glycogen storage and can exceed all non-athletes in resistance training meaning that if one strong man can lift 500 lbs from bench press once, a well conditioned bodybuilder will be able to lift 450 lbs 10 times.

#12 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Go and download podcasts from superhumanradio, there are literally dozens of shows and interviews dealing with training for maximum strength and vitality. For tendons and ligaments you need to increse the weights slowly as developing their strength takes time. There are special excercises and supplements that can help..

Edited by platypus, 10 August 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

Why exactly do you want to be as strong as Louis Cyr? (Sure, it would be awesome, but so would X-ray vision, or being able to speak fluent Mandarin.) Assuming it would even be possible, which I doubt, it wouldn't be compatible with a very long life, at least not at our present state of knowledge. How about instead you develop your engineering and fabrication skills and build yourself a powered exoskeleton?

#14 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Why exactly do you want to be as strong as Louis Cyr? (Sure, it would be awesome, but so would X-ray vision, or being able to speak fluent Mandarin.) Assuming it would even be possible, which I doubt, it wouldn't be compatible with a very long life, at least not at our present state of knowledge. How about instead you develop your engineering and fabrication skills and build yourself a powered exoskeleton?

Posted Image

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#15 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

The ancient strength training diet consisted of fat and meat. But for Cyr, well here´s some more info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users