Photo
- - - - -

"The Golden Age" by John C. Wright

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jaguar

• 217 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:29 AM

Sci-Fi. Set 10,000 years in humanity's future. All humans are immortal. Vast scientific progress and AI called "Sophotechs" I believe. These AI are the backbone of the society. The book is first of three in the series and I very highly recommend it. Exellent stuff. Can't say enough good about it.

#2 antilithium

• 77 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:57 PM

Allow me to add on. ;)

Why should you (the person reading this post) read the Golden Age... Because it's an tranhumanist's dream come true.

And I don't mean this book is strictly a tranhumanist read but something everyone should read.
I say this because its an "eye opener" of sorts. It gives you a hypothetical view of our civilization in 10,000 years.

The solar system has been conquered, with Venus and Mars terraformed and Jupiter ignited into a star. A utopia called the Golden Oecumene was forged under the electrophotonic self-aware entities known as Sophotechs who govern humanity. The Golden Oecumene is composed of a mix mush reality of virtual and real "layers". So in turn, the citizens of the Golden Oecumene can switch bodies, tranfer, fake, copy or erase memories (even identities) and telerepresent themselves across the solar system. And because of this each member of the Golden Oecumene is immortal.
But how would one live in an society where memories can be altered at any time and every human action is predicted unerringly.

Here are some reviews.

Somehow, the first book felt a little slow because of the immensive amount of imagery. It wasn't until the last four chapters, things seemed to speed up. I personally liked "The Phoenix Exultant" out of the whole Golden Age Trilogy which was a blast to read.

I tremendously recommend this Trilogy. Go down to your local library to check this out.

Edited by antilithium, 07 April 2005 - 03:05 PM.

#3 armrha

• 187 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

I read this book as par your suggestion. Very enjoyable, if a couple of nonsensical points. Why would the Curia communicate so opaquely when so much more is possible? That trial was very kafkaesque, I guess a kind of literary device. Very interesting book though, a good showcase of ideas.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 antilithium

• 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:07 PM

I read this book as par your suggestion. Very enjoyable, if a couple of nonsensical points. Why would the Curia communicate so opaquely when so much more is possible? That trial was very kafkaesque, I guess a kind of literary device. Very interesting book though, a good showcase of ideas.

Oh. But did you read the entire trilogy!

About the Curia: it was an literary device. There was an interview John Wright did, where he states that he wanted to maintain a level of connection. So the readers wouldn't get lost in the alieness of the Golden Oecumene. He referenced how Star Wars had its lightsabers and how Star Trak had humanoid aliens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users