• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Nootropics & brain enhancers for the poor.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 singularist

• 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:30 PM

Hello all,

This is my very first post, and hopefully there will be many more to come following this one.

I have absolutely nil financial support from my parents who are divorced, and am trying to jump on the band wagon of nootropics and the various other remedies to age related decline of cognitive and physical degradation. Before going further, I'd like to state my specs for others to analyze and interpret what may be of good use for me.

Weight: 120 lbs
Height: 5'11
Diet: I'm a strict vegetarian, and follow a caloric restrictive regimen.

I would very much like to enjoy the supplements that are available, but the difficulty is the cost. I don't know what substitutes anyone might know of for various supplements, or whereabouts I can purchase substitutes for nootropics; but if anyone knows and would care to help I would be really appreciative. I very much would like to reach immortality, and I am fearful that given my time on the Earth I may not be able to reach it.

Thanks a bunch,

Pearce

#2 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:37 PM

I think your diet might be enough until you find yourself in a better financial situation. You are only 19, after all!

If you can afford a good B complex supplement, start with that (my MIL and SIL have been doing brewer's yeast for years; you'd never know my SIL is in her 40's to look at her). Then maybe some CoQ10 (expensive, but as a vegetarian, you may not be getting enough). Lecithin, maybe.

Do you eat a lot of fresh fruit and (or frozen) veggies? Nuts and seeds? Do you get enough protein? When I was your age I was semi-vegetarian, and didn't have much money. I ate way too many carbs (rice + beans) and not enough protein.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 singularist

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

I think your diet might be enough until you find yourself in a better financial situation. You are only 19, after all!

If you can afford a good B complex supplement, start with that (my MIL and SIL have been doing brewer's yeast for years; you'd never know my SIL is in her 40's to look at her). Then maybe some CoQ10 (expensive, but as a vegetarian, you may not be getting enough). Lecithin, maybe.

Do you eat a lot of fresh fruit and (or frozen) veggies? Nuts and seeds? Do you get enough protein? When I was your age I was semi-vegetarian, and didn't have much money. I ate way too many carbs (rice + beans) and not enough protein.

Hey Wraith,

Thanks for the response. I have a nice B complex supplement and I'm very good with my vitamin intake, which is pretty much vitamin E 400 IU and a general brand multivitamin. I was thinking of any type of supplements that can be purchased over the counter at a relatively reasonable price. I am not extremely poor, but I am constrained financially because of being burdened with having to pay my own rent and going to school at the same time. I've been living this way for about 3 years now; since I was 16 years old. What got me started on the anti-aging trend was probably an extreme paranoia of death.

I'm a full vegetarian and eat plenty of protein, ie. nuts, my nutrients come from vegetables (mainly frozen, as I cannot afford fresh.) I have been eating plenty of fruit, from oranges (although they have a high glycemic load and Kurzweil discourages) to blueberries (when I get the chance and when they are on sale.) What can I get, fruits, vegetables, and nuts wise that will increase my lifespan? Keep in mind again that I am on a very tight budget, hehe. I would go for the shelled nuts, but I am fearful of the types of pesticides that are put onto them to deter different types of moulds and from deteriorating.

I would like to put forward this question to all the members of the Imminst. Does it at all trouble you, that perhaps should Immortality come knocking on the door; that it will not be affordable to you? I am afraid (perhaps beyond a reasonable doubt) that should immortality be ascertained within my current lifespan: it will not be affordable. I am good with my money and know how to spend it, but I am fearful that it may be too expensive or kept in secret.

Thanks & take care,

Pearce

#4 ozone

• 150 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:15 AM

Personally, I'd never suggest CoQ10 to anyone that is young. If you live an active lifestyle, a mere 20 minutes of working out will cause a oxygen depletion in your body, which turns CoQ10 into a pro-oxidative substance. I've heard that Idebenone is identical to CoQ10, but w/o the nasty pro-oxidative effects when the body is under stress.

#5 singularist

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:44 AM

Hey,

I went to Walmart and bought some Lecithin and Gingko baliboa (in tincture form) does anyone know the benefits of having tinctured or pill form gingko?

I think I'm going to hold off on the CoQ10 for now: although that could change in the near future. I'll be in talks with a homeopathic doctor who might be able to provide me with some cheap supplements, although that has yet to be proven; does anyone know where to buy good supplements for a good price perhaps at a local dispensary like walmart? I did get the lecithin and gingko baliboa, but those are only two in the many that are to come.

I'm thinking of starting my anti-aging regimen tomorrow, It's nothing grand but It's a head start.

Regimen

6 cups of green tea daily
1 ml gingko baliboa
1200 lecithin

What about green tea? I am drinking 6 cups a day, but the water is tap water; I cannot do much better. At school there is a staff room that has filtered botter water which I am going to try to take some of. I am on a very limited budget but a water filter is not out of the question. Any recommendations as far as water filters go, or are they not worth it; considering there are more options out there given my current financial state.

Thanks all & have a good night,

Pearce

#6 dimjimm

• 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:03 AM

...cognitive and physical degradation...Age: 19 years old

19, huh? Hate to tell you but from there its all downhill. [lol]

It's hard to save enough to buy in bulk, but a basic stack can cost as little as $0.25 a day, and for $1 a day you can get just about everything you really need.

Consider this Cognitive Enhancement stack:

creatine monohydrate* (metabolism) - bought in bulk costs pennies a day
piracetam (nootropic) - bought in bulk costs about $0.10 a day
lecithin (choline duh)
huperzine A* (choline)
L-tyrosine* (energy)

Or this basic Life Extension stack:

multivitamin
flax seed or fish oil
vitamin C supplement
vitamin B complex
some kind of antioxidant

One of these stacks could be had for less than $0.50 a day.

Edited by dimjimm, 30 March 2005 - 05:27 AM.

#7 singularist

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:22 AM

DimJimm,

I am very well aware of my cognitive deficits that are beginning to take effect from this age onwards. I have heard that brain mass depletion rate is 1% following every year after your first birthday.

I am interested in the "cognitive enhancement stack" but unable to find a supplier for $1 a day: could you please provide me with further information? Suddenly this all seems to be somewhat more "affordable" given the extension it will provide me with.

Thanks,

Pearce

#8 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:02 PM

ozone ~ thanks for the info re: CoQ10. Didn't know that. Is this a concern for 36 yr olds who work out?

~~~

singularist ~ sounds like you are doing really well for yourself. Don't worry about the oranges, we all need a vice or 2 (Heck, I eat oranges & grapefruit). Apparently, frozen veggies often have better nutrient content than fresh, but I prefer fresh for taste & texture.

As far as functional foods goes, a surprisingly good source is James Duke's 'Green Pharmacy', which is available online:
http://www.mothernat.../Books/41/1.cfm

Of course, there's lots of other books on the topic out there. That's just one that isn't obvious from the title.

And yes, I think immortality, if it becomes possible, will have a high price. I doubt I will be able to afford it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 jolly

• 154 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:57 PM

My solution to the cost issue is to do whatever I can currently to optimize my intellectual capacity and future earning outlook, while taking care of my health in the present. Of course, I'm only 20, (soon to be 21), so I figure I've got some time ahead of me before the situation really arises.

My biggest benifit is any supplement I want, (non nootropic) I can get at wholesale costs....it's more a battle to figure out what all to take, and then take it all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users