- - - - -

memantine + dexedrine as last resort

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

So, it feels like there's a deficit of sources for intelligent, rational commentary/advice on pharmacology, and I was hoping maybe people here could offer some advice.

I'm in a really bad place right now. I have severe, phobic OCD, recurring atypical depression (with global anhedonia), inattentive ADD and generally poor cognition (due to all of the aforementioned conditions). I live at home (at 27), am unable to work, suffer emotional abuse from my parents and battle with either crippling fatigue or anxiety each day, coupled with the humiliation (as a formerly "gifted" student) of barely even being able to read or concentrate on much of anything anymore. Right now, suicide is looking like a more and more enticing option.

I've tried
  • SSRIs (helpful for leaden paralysis, but did little for mood or anxiety),
  • Zyprexa (increased anxiety when combined with Lexapro),
  • Seroquel (akathisia),
  • Neurontin and Depakote (helped irritability but dulled cognition and left me feeling dissociated),
  • Ritalin (too much irritability and OCD),
  • Dexedrine (useful for attention, but increased OCD and just caused 'burn out' very quickly.. started to get sleepy when I took it)
  • clomipramine (too much anxiety), nortriptyline (was meant as a sleep-aid, but stimulated me)
  • Strattera (too much anxiety at "adult" doses, as my psychiatrist puts it; also made me dysphoric)
  • Nardil and Parnate, which helped my depression but wrecked sleep. I've actually just stopped taking Parnate, which I trialed for 5 months; it was useful for motivation and attention, but did nothing for anxiety and caused the aforementioned sleep issues.
  • klonopin (was taking for sleep issues on Parnate .. still on 1.5mg, which does nothing for anxiety, but at least puts me to sleep)
Anyway, 3 years ago I was put on Memantine for OCD by a psychiatrist. My recollection (which may be distorted at this point) was of an utterly blissful reprieve from anxiety at 10mg, which just grew weirder at 15 and 20mg (started to get more depressed, introverted, etc.), so I came off it.

My current psychiatrist believes I'm highly sensitive to medication, which makes sense (about 2.5mg of Dexedrine at a time is more than enough for me), so it seems like 10mg of Memantine may have been all I needed.

Anyway, I get the impression that Memantine and Dexedrine is generally dismissed as snake oil or, more perversely, an unattainable quest for neverending hypomania.

But I feel like if I can reap the benefits of stimulants without the attendant anxiety, etc., it might help me crawl out of this pit. I would also love some kind of hedonic tone, so I can actually pursue a life again (which has been on halt for the past 4 years). Honestly, intellectual pursuit was the only thing that ever fulfilled me and I have just lived in a wasteland for as long as I can remember, going from med to med with too many adverse side-effects or no benefits or whatever.

Does anyone think trying Memantine with a stimulant would be a good or bad idea? Are there any risks I should be aware of? I know there are some concerns about long-term memory formation, but to be honest, I really don't care at this point; I'm thinking more along the lines of psychosis, etc. My only other concern is that there is no extended-release amphetamine available here, so I would have to be diligent about keeping a strict schedule with the Dex IR, lest I fall into the habit of using it as a social band-aid, rather than a learning tool.

For the record, things I haven't tried (though am not overwhelmingly eager to either, bar TMS, which is being trialed here at the moment) are: Lamictal, Abilify, the SNRIs, TMS or ECT.

Edited by lucky.pierre, 20 August 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#2 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

I can't comment on the memantine except to say that if it worked well in the past at 10mg, you could try again at 10mg or even start out with 5 and bump up to 10 later if needed. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Other ideas in absolutely no particular order:
Bupropion
Bupropion + SSRI
Tianeptine
Lamictal
Milnacipran
Low-dose lithium augmentation of any partly effective antidepressant
T3 (if your thyroid levels aren't already high-normal)
Bright light therapy
Behavioral activation
CBT
ACT
IPT
Psychodynamic psychotherapy
Mirtazapine
Vilazodone
Trazodone
St John's Wort
Agomelatine

Judging by the quality of your writing, you're not "formerly gifted" at all. You're struggling with a very difficult situation, and the fact that you're in a socially degrading environment is making it harder to recover. (There's an animal model of depression called "Social defeat" used to induce learned helplessness. Changing your situation to make it not resemble an animal model of major depression is highly advised, regardless of what it costs you.)

My best advice is to take the possibility of full recovery far more seriously than you feel like. Just like drug addicts characteristically deny having a problem, depressed people characteristically underestimate their chances to recover. I was entirely convinced that I was a hopeless case during every episode of major depression I had: "I'm just stuck like this. It never really gets better. I'm going to put up with this for the rest of my life."

Due to good therapy and ongoing bright light use, I haven't had a depressive episode in a long time! Keep trying new things, and some day my story will be yours too. (Just with a different treatment plan, probably.)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thank you for your reply. Parnate withdrawal has had some weird dysregulating effect on my noradrenergic system (feel constantly anxious, hyper-alert, etc.), so I suppose my post doesn't really reflect my baseline cognition when depressed.

I've tried Tianeptine (exacerbated "atypical" symptoms), and have been undergoing psychodynamic therapy for the past 1.5 years (which has been helpful, to an extent, but obviously done nothing to relieve the depression or OCD).

5-HT2C antagonists worsen my OCD (Mirtazapine was a nightmare).

You are right about personal environment -- when I am not in my parents' house, my suicidal urges usually weaken. But I can't leave here when my OCD is basically severe, neverending, and completely incapacitating (I'm essentially agoraphobic); I suppose I'm betting a lot (maybe too much?) on the Memantine helping things.

Your reference to drug addicts and depressants struck a chord -- maybe not because I see things as hopeless (which I do; I've been stuck in this state for 4+ years, and have battled OCD for 9 years), but because I guess I don't really like the idea of compromise. For example, one med-happy professor had me on high-dose Lexapro and Zyprexa; my symptoms were more 'under control' but I felt lobotomized, which isn't really a way to live. I'm trying not to compromise my recovery with my perfectionism, and am basically just aiming to leave my parents' house at this point, but without the ability to read, pay attention etc., I don't really feel 'recovered'. I think the comorbid ADD (I have lifelong symptoms, which were only detected recently; OCD started at 18) complicates things because stuff that quells my anxiety typically worsens my attention/cognition.

I can't comment on the memantine except to say that if it worked well in the past at 10mg, you could try again at 10mg or even start out with 5 and bump up to 10 later if needed. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Other ideas in absolutely no particular order:
Bupropion
Bupropion + SSRI
Tianeptine
Lamictal
Milnacipran
Low-dose lithium augmentation of any partly effective antidepressant
T3 (if your thyroid levels aren't already high-normal)
Bright light therapy
Behavioral activation
CBT
ACT
IPT
Psychodynamic psychotherapy
Mirtazapine
Vilazodone
Trazodone
St John's Wort
Agomelatine

Judging by the quality of your writing, you're not "formerly gifted" at all. You're struggling with a very difficult situation, and the fact that you're in a socially degrading environment is making it harder to recover. (There's an animal model of depression called "Social defeat" used to induce learned helplessness. Changing your situation to make it not resemble an animal model of major depression is highly advised, regardless of what it costs you.)

My best advice is to take the possibility of full recovery far more seriously than you feel like. Just like drug addicts characteristically deny having a problem, depressed people characteristically underestimate their chances to recover. I was entirely convinced that I was a hopeless case during every episode of major depression I had: "I'm just stuck like this. It never really gets better. I'm going to put up with this for the rest of my life."

Due to good therapy and ongoing bright light use, I haven't had a depressive episode in a long time! Keep trying new things, and some day my story will be yours too. (Just with a different treatment plan, probably.)

#4 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

"Anyway, I get the impression that Memantine and Dexedrine is generally dismissed as snake oil or, more perversely, an unattainable quest for neverending hypomania."
How ignorant, from my own point of view it does seem they make me high by looking forward to social interaction or hoping the time passes slow as things are fun, but gues what i had this exactly all the time as a kid, the "high" you look for is what most people are equiped with anyway.
interesting fact, the most extroverted people dont appear to like stims and find them unpleasant, wich imo is because after the social benefits, higher doses cause anxiety wich is the phase extroverts go in straight away.
But its far more complicated then that, there's also a high euphoric feeling wich extroverts may find really pleasant wich makes me confused about that study.

#5 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

What I'm basically saying is that I don't want to feel high all that time and a) be tempted to re-dose my IR Dexedrine, and b) have euphoria cloud my judgement so I waste time pursuing the same mindless activities (spending money, socializing, distracting myself) that I already use to cope with the OCD.

#6 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

I know what you mean, but i dont know wheter you have been anhedonic since childhood, if you were it seems your high but ive been living "high" in my childhood. But offcourse it depends how high. This mostly was aimed at people saying that those taking amp chase euphoria.

naltrexone can be an option to curb the addictive property's and the euphoria while mainting the therapeutic effects (unless your unlucky and many of those come from the opioid system). Its also dependent on the dose for the most part.

How does weed affect you? If its negative perhaps rimonabant is a good option to curb euphoria, it can cause depression but amp's mood boost should balance that out.

Edited by medievil, 25 August 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#7 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

I've been dysthymic since childhood (which I think goes hand-in-hand with inattentive ADD), so I started 'chasing' highs at around 17 (compulsive shopping, drinking, etc.), but it wasn't like I was in a constant state of euphoria. It only lasted as long as the activity, and was effectively a form of self-medication.

When I tried Dexedrine at a standard dose, I never felt euphoric anyway. I just felt really calm (almost too calm .. like a little flat), but I later learned the dose I was started on was too high (5mg, 4x a day) and I know that excessive dopamine activity can induce a kind of apathy.

I did best on about 2.5mg every 3-4 hours. There was a mood-boost (nothing particularly 'euphoric' .. more a general optimism and calmness), but that gave way to really bad irritability and worsened OCD after 3-4 days.

So if I keep my dose at a normal range (i.e. 2.5mg for me) and maintain self-control/strict-scheduling, is it unlikely there'll be much an obvious 'high' or 'euphoria' to chase anyway? I don't associate euphoria with an anti-depressant effect; on Dex I would sometimes feel euphoric, yet guilty and self-loathing at the same time.

#8 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Today i tried desoxy and been acting quite manic online instead of being productive, prob because i upped the dose looking for effects that werent really there so i understand what your trying to avoid.

Indeed euphoria isnt really a therapeutic effect (but it can be a antidepressive effect thats too "high") id give it a try man and see how it goes, if it does make you a bit euphoric but that doesnt have a negative effect on your decission making then i wouldnt mind much.

Edited by medievil, 25 August 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#9 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Sure, I guess there's always solutions (low-dose SSRI, maybe clonazepam as a mood-stabilizer). I don't think my psychiatrist would prescribe Naltrexone; if I said I was feeling euphoric, he'd probably take me off the combination.

He actually wanted me to start the Dexedrine first, then add the Memantine. I said I wanted to start the Memantine first to try get my OCD control, but the real reason was because I know that starting the stimulant first wouldn't result in a preservation of anti-depressant effects.

I feel guilty lying (OCD), but also because he's been so good to me (I see him for therapy too). I'm trying to think of a way to explain that I want to prevent stimulant tolerance without it sounding like I just want to be high all the time.

#10 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think naltrexone has utility in ocd and other things, look it up.

Either way low amp doses arent to bad when it comes to that, look at my desoxy posting spree lol that def is what i want to avoid (except for party's with other stuff lol)
What about rimonabant for weight less?
Either way i think the euphoria of low dex doses wont impair your daily decission making?

#11 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

I remember risperdal inhibiting the euphoria, i just took 100mg of amisulpiride to see wheter it balances out the stim i took, i forgot to take it today. Both come with side effects tough.

#12 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

I think naltrexone has utility in ocd and other things, look it up.

Either way low amp doses arent to bad when it comes to that, look at my desoxy posting spree lol that def is what i want to avoid (except for party's with other stuff lol)
What about rimonabant for weight less?
Either way i think the euphoria of low dex doses wont impair your daily decission making?

I suppose it could increase compulsive activity (which is linked to D2/D3 activity), unless the Memantine itself helped control that. I'd prefer to avoid APs though.. I actually find them too stimulating. I guess a low-dose SSRI would be the way to go.

#13 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Im compulsively posting shit atm here (srry to post this everywhere) i forgot to take amisulpiride today wich acts on D2 and D3 wich i just took so ill see wheter it stops this compulsion.
Which ap's do you refer too? Ami is pretty much side effect free but raises prolactin trough the roof, as an upside D2 antagonism is anti inflammatory wich may help any disorders thats implicated in.

Id agree on a low SSRI dose.

#14 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

You know what nmda antagonists causes amp to cause excessive da release as in shizo's, amp allways used to make me act really eratic untill i was on risperdal, i forgot to take 2 glutamate agonists today preg and DHEA wich will do the opposite and should normalise my response on amp. Ill update in a few min it should work for me, im sure both will blunt the euphoria of amp for you. Srry for all this post i must make the forum members here crazy lol, its been months since stims made me behave excessively weird like this, must be rebound of the glut agonists.

#15 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Im compulsively posting shit atm here (srry to post this everywhere) i forgot to take amisulpiride today wich acts on D2 and D3 wich i just took so ill see wheter it stops this compulsion.
Which ap's do you refer too? Ami is pretty much side effect free but raises prolactin trough the roof, as an upside D2 antagonism is anti inflammatory wich may help any disorders thats implicated in.

Zypexra and Risperdal were too stimulating (5-HT2C antagonism boosts my mood, but increases my anxiety).

Anyway, I thought you admitted to taking abusive doses of amp while you were on Memantine (and selank?). It seems like there are enough people doing okay on just Memantine and Amp (graatch, surferdude, andrewB), so I guess I'll start there and see how I fare.

#16 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Yes i did, i just cited some research that showed that, in normal ppl it wont make much difference but in shizo that on top of other issues probably causes the excessive response. Even on therapeutic doses i had a excessive response but that was also without mem because of my predromal shizo.

Today i was in the recreational range of desoxy tough (i wanted it for therapeutic use, its garbage recreationally, there are better things to get high on, but i didnt feel a thing at lower doses at first so stupidly took more, that said when i take stimulants recreationally they dont cause erratic behavor or an excessive response anymore on my regime, actually without most sups so perhaps the desoxy causes mania way more easy compared to other stims, preg and dhea normalised it tough.)

I can only gues why desoxy caused this kind of mania, obviously it was stupid to redose because it didnt work but normally recreational use of stims doesnt cause that old stim mania i allways used to have. Also after preg and DHEA made me act normal i felt "extremely open" like it was overkill in the cilltep stack wich normally causes that open feeling, a benzo normalised that, i felt quite confused in that open state.

nonetheless this is a good wake up call to be more carefull, i forgot how strong desoxy can be.

Desoxy is the only stim i can afford unfortionally. Apoligize if my post isnt very comprohensive as i still feel a bit in that confused state.

Edited by medievil, 25 August 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#17 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Zypexra and Risperdal were too stimulating (5-HT2C antagonism boosts my mood, but increases my anxiety).

Anyway, I thought you admitted to taking abusive doses of amp while you were on Memantine (and selank?). It seems like there are enough people doing okay on just Memantine and Amp (graatch, surferdude, andrewB), so I guess I'll start there and see how I fare.

Im sure many take some extra euphoria as a plus, like i said if it doesnt affect your life negatively its not a issue, you have to see how it works out for yourself to see wheter its an issue mate.

I did abuse amp on mem however i had to conclude it affects your life decisions in a negative way so its not a good thing to do (i do think its possible to stay high forever but youll lose everything by making the wrong decissions so its not really recommened).

Please ignore my previous posts i felt extremely confused i think because of the cilltep with excessive desoxy witch benzo's cleared up for me.

Edited by medievil, 25 August 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#18 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

" (i do think its possible to stay high forever but youll lose everything by making the wrong decissions so its not really recommened)."

With that i only refer to GBL or opiates, i used gbl pretty much daily i beleive its possible to prevent the tolerance and toxiticy, i also abused amp with memantine but this was allways for 2 weeks or so and then i didnt take any for 2 weeks (i allways ordered enough for like say to last me daily till the next order, if i took too much then ill have a break and ill have to endure it, i never got enough amp to stay on it forever) i never had willpower enough to properly take it tough lol.

Just clarifying this before ppl get any idea's, daily amp abuse will have a bad negative effects on someone's health due to lack of sleep, stress of the body etc, with other drugs with enough neuroprotection thats debatable (and yes the guy that says its possible to take G daily without ruining your health is also the person posting all toxicology study's on bluelight (search my threads there) as its possible to prevent this toxiticy but it has to be prevented as it could cause severe issues long term.

But as ive said the effects on decission making are too severe for any drug addiction to end well.

This post is offtopic(just putting it here as i posted that above, wanted to clarify as some ppl may take that too serieusly as i do know what im talking about on some subjects, that togheter with my own drug use i want to reduce harm) but i do think my opinion could help drug addicts that abuse drugs anyway, they wont listen to no not do it but they might listen to add neuroprotection, add mem for tolerance, take small breaks and other harm reduction suggestions.

Also overdosing on GBL can kill you if you puke and sufficocate or whatever you spell it.

Edited by medievil, 25 August 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#19 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi Pierre, I think you and medievil have gotten some good points in. Excuse me for interrupting the flow of conversation, but I need to clarify something I wrote earlier.

Judging by the quality of your writing, you're not "formerly gifted" at all.

I didn't pay very close attention to those quotation marks! What I meant to say is that you're not "formerly" gifted -- i.e. you're still gifted today. Even in the midst of all the cognitive impairment and preoccupation you may be experiencing now, it's still clear from your posts that you're effectively comprehending the complex things medievil and I have been saying, and you've been responding thoughtfully. So you haven't lost your intelligence -- depressed people do experience difficulty with attention, decision making, and sometimes comprehending things, but due to the negativity bias in depression, those impairments often feel a lot worse than they objectively are.

Thank you for your reply. Parnate withdrawal has had some weird dysregulating effect on my noradrenergic system (feel constantly anxious, hyper-alert, etc.), so I suppose my post doesn't really reflect my baseline cognition when depressed.

Yes, I had a similar problem with selegiline withdrawal. Even with gradual tapering over a month, I felt sort of frantic, out of control, tired-but-wired, and emotionally hypersensitive. Several times a day, it seemed like I might panic, though I never actually did panic or do anything "out of control." Fortunately, the symptoms faded over the next several weeks until I returned to baseline.

I've tried Tianeptine (exacerbated "atypical" symptoms), and have been undergoing psychodynamic therapy for the past 1.5 years (which has been helpful, to an extent, but obviously done nothing to relieve the depression or OCD).

I'm sorry to hear that Tianeptine wasn't the magic bullet for you, the way it can be for some people.
As for psychodynamic therapy, the evidence base suggests trying it for depression, relationship problems, some personality disorders, and certain other conditions that you don't have. But for OCD, the only evidence-based psychotherapy I know of is ERP, or Exposure with Response Prevention. It's designed to desensitize you to the obsessive thoughts and feelings, and to the urges to act on the compulsions. The goal is that you no longer feel bothered by those thoughts and feelings anymore, nor do you feel uncomfortable if you disobey the compulsions.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting that you abandon the psychodynamic therapy if you've found it helpful in some ways. It can be a great therapy, and there are certain benefits to receiving both talk therapy and medication management from the same doctor. Still, given that you've gone through most of the chemical treatments for OCD and the psychodynamic therapy isn't helping it, I think you'd really benefit a lot from tracking down a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist who specializes in OCD. It's a tough, tough condition to treat if the doctor isn't extensively trained in helping with OCD, but those experts who are trained can work magic that would surprise any general psychiatrist/psychologist.

You are right about personal environment -- when I am not in my parents' house, my suicidal urges usually weaken. But I can't leave here when my OCD is basically severe, neverending, and completely incapacitating (I'm essentially agoraphobic)

Interestingly, exposure and response prevention are also the preferred tools for treating agoraphobia. From a behavior modification standpoint, removing the compulsion to escape from an unfamiliar situation in agoraphobia works via the same deconditioning processes as removing the compulsion to act on an obsessive thought in OCD.
I can't wait for the day when we have drugs which selectively and effectively target these abnormal processes in the brain. Until that day comes, the most effective remedies for such problems operate by modifying the contingencies that permit them to continue.

Your reference to drug addicts and depressants struck a chord -- maybe not because I see things as hopeless (which I do; I've been stuck in this state for 4+ years, and have battled OCD for 9 years), but because I guess I don't really like the idea of compromise. For example, one med-happy professor had me on high-dose Lexapro and Zyprexa; my symptoms were more 'under control' but I felt lobotomized, which isn't really a way to live. I'm trying not to compromise my recovery with my perfectionism, and am basically just aiming to leave my parents' house at this point, but without the ability to read, pay attention etc., I don't really feel 'recovered'.

You are right to insist on eventual full recovery of a fulfilling and productive life instead of permanently settling for partial treatment response. There are reams of bad advice out there to "accept that these problems will never go away" or, as one "therapy" for bipolar disorder horrifyingly phrases it, "Mourn the lost healthy self." (Unsurprisingly, that therapy keeps failing in its clinical trials.)

I don't believe in following that advice. It was understandable decades ago, before we learned about the vast possibilities of adult neuroplasticity. Nowadays, it's inexcusable.

The counterbalance to this point is, as you pointed out, that perfectionism (and I'd add impatience) don't speed up the process. I don't really see perfectionism compromising your recovery, seeing as how you've set a reasonable intermediate goal of recovering your functioning enough to get out of your parents' house. Harmful perfectionism would be something like "I want a pill to make me completely normal in six months."

I think the comorbid ADD (I have lifelong symptoms, which were only detected recently; OCD started at 18) complicates things because stuff that quells my anxiety typically worsens my attention/cognition.

That's par for the course for mainstream anxiety/OCD drugs today. There's some new stuff coming out in the next decade or so that works on metabotropic glutamate receptors or neuropeptide systems, but until then, the options to treat anxiety while preserving executive function are limited.

Limited, but not nonexistent. Among the possibilities I know about:
Buspirone
Valerian root
Eleuthero (very cheaply and effectively available in Celestial Seasonings' Tension Tamer herbal tea, present in grocery stores throughout the US.)
Aniracetam
CBD-high, THC-low marijuana, especially if vaporized instead of smoked. (Many people find that vaporized cannabis does not cause the cognitive impairment of smoked cannabis.)

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention meditation! Meditation, aniracetam, and frequent physical exercise are the only things I know of that both strengthen cognitive function and calm anxiety.

... good lord, what a tome I've written here. Whoever is still reading should receive a medal for attention span of the year. I tried to make all of it useful and relevant, but maybe it's too much of a good thing...

#20 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hi Pierre, I think you and medievil have gotten some good points in. Excuse me for interrupting the flow of conversation, but I need to clarify something I wrote earlier.

I didn't pay very close attention to those quotation marks! What I meant to say is that you're not "formerly" gifted -- i.e. you're still gifted today. Even in the midst of all the cognitive impairment and preoccupation you may be experiencing now, it's still clear from your posts that you're effectively comprehending the complex things medievil and I have been saying, and you've been responding thoughtfully. So you haven't lost your intelligence -- depressed people do experience difficulty with attention, decision making, and sometimes comprehending things, but due to the negativity bias in depression, those impairments often feel a lot worse than they objectively are.

Hi jadamgo, please feel free to interrupt at will; your input is appreciated. I realize that I haven't lost my 'intelligence', but I know that a) like you mention, depression compromises cognition, and b) I would be surprised if, after 8 years of non-ending anxiety/depression, my brain was anywhere in the state it was pre-onset.

Yes, I had a similar problem with selegiline withdrawal. Even with gradual tapering over a month, I felt sort of frantic, out of control, tired-but-wired, and emotionally hypersensitive. Several times a day, it seemed like I might panic, though I never actually did panic or do anything "out of control." Fortunately, the symptoms faded over the next several weeks until I returned to baseline.

The counterbalance to this point is, as you pointed out, that perfectionism (and I'd add impatience) don't speed up the process. I don't really see perfectionism compromising your recovery, seeing as how you've set a reasonable intermediate goal of recovering your functioning enough to get out of your parents' house. Harmful perfectionism would be something like "I want a pill to make me completely normal in six months."

I think these two quotes are pertinent right now. I admit, I am feeling extremely hypersensitive, frantic and 'just not thinking straight', and also feel on the verge of panic or acting-out-of-control. Unfortunately, things are complicated by my situation at home. I had a fight with my parents last night and the dysphoria and suicidal ideation have escalated. Things have been so uncomfortable here in general that I just don't know what to do anymore; I mostly hide in my room and ignore my parents because any attempt to have a rational conversation with them just escalates into hostility. My mother is a narcissist and completely immune to criticism and my father is passive-aggressive/hyper-controlling. It's such an uncomfortable environment and makes any thought of dedicating myself to a long-term treatment like ERP (particularly when my symptoms are so bad) seem impossible.

They've never threatened to throw me out, but last night they made clear (as they have before) that they've lost patience with my generally depressed demeanor; at the same time, there's very little attempt on their part to make sense of what's actually going on, even though I've recently tried to educate them on OCD, so I just don't have any desire to treat them with respect. When I told my mother, for example, that she hadn't always shown the best support while I've been suffering (a total understatement, btw), she turned it into "oh, so now I'm the worst mother in the world" and won't speak to me today...

I don't qualify for disability, don't really want to enter into the state housing system (waiting list is so long, and like I say, I have no financial support, plus the isolation would just be bad for me), I have friends I can stay with but only for a week or so, and if I hospitalize myself I will just end up overmedicated and more depressed/isolated, since anhedonia (particularly social) is such a strong feature of my condition.

At this point, everything feels so urgent and life-or-death, and it's hard to separate my cognitive distortions from the truth. Basically, I am at the unfortunate point of betting everything on Memantine helping enough to get me out of here, but I realize that's probably irrational. I don't know. It seems to show promise with OCD, but doesn't sound like a magic bullet. If I could just find 12-16 hours work a week, that might be enough for food/accomodation, but even that would be impossible in my unmedicated state.

My psychiatrist is away and was only planning on prescribing Memantine when I see him again on September the 7th. That feels like an eternity, again when I'm holding out for something that might not even be helpful enough to grant me (some) independence. I really just need to be somewhere where I feel safe and stable and can be permitted to recover. I don't want to hospitalize myself because, like I said, I think I'll just end up overmedicated and even more trapped. But there is so much ill will and buried hostility (a lot on my part) and blame thrown around at home that I don't know what to do anymore. My parents believe they're faultless and expect me to throw aside complaints and accept them.

Sorry if this is long and I don't meant to burden you, I'm just trying to hold it together I guess or see if I'm being irrational, but I know I'm betting far too much on one drug. I suppose I'm scared that in the event it doesn't help, suicide seems like a more and more appealing escape because I just don't know where to go or who to turn to anymore.

... good lord, what a tome I've written here. Whoever is still reading should receive a medal for attention span of the year. I tried to make all of it useful and relevant, but maybe it's too much of a good thing...

No, your thoughts are highly appreciated, particularly aside medievil's frantic, drug-frenzied (no offense :laugh: ) output.

#21 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

Have you ever been prescribed some of the newer SNRIs? Personally, the wonder drug for me- as far as controlling my emotions and obsessions- has been Effexor. I currently believe I am on a bit too high of a dose (150 mg), but I have absolutely zero side effects with the medication. The only reason I wouldnt mind lowering back to 75 mg is because of the possibility of it increasing my anhedonia. Honestly, there is quite some negative bias towards SSRIs on forums such as this one, but that is usually because of the nasty withdrawal effects associated with SSRIs. I have yet to feel the effects of the infamous Effexor withdrawal and I'm sure that when I do, it wont be pleasant. Seriously though, I dont think its right to not try a drug out because of the withdrawal it gives when tapering down/off. lucky.pierre, I would be very intrigued in knowing how you respond to this SNRI as it seems like a godly drug to me.

Note, that last part was not concieved while in a state of euphora. I'm dead serious when I say that I am not under a sort-of "drug honeymoon." I've in fact been on Effexor for the past 4-5 months and suspect no tolerance, whatsoever.

#22 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

No, your thoughts are highly appreciated, particularly aside medievil's frantic, drug-frenzied (no offense :laugh: ) output.

LOL! :laugh:

#23 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Have you ever been prescribed some of the newer SNRIs? Personally, the wonder drug for me- as far as controlling my emotions and obsessions- has been Effexor. I currently believe I am on a bit too high of a dose (150 mg), but I have absolutely zero side effects with the medication. The only reason I wouldnt mind lowering back to 75 mg is because of the possibility of it increasing my anhedonia. Honestly, there is quite some negative bias towards SSRIs on forums such as this one, but that is usually because of the nasty withdrawal effects associated with SSRIs. I have yet to feel the effects of the infamous Effexor withdrawal and I'm sure that when I do, it wont be pleasant.

For many people, Effexor is indeed the wonder drug. But some people are very sensitive to the affective flattening caused by serotonin stimulation. Since Effexor is a stronger SRI than NRI, it's hard to get into an effective dose range for noradrenergic stimulation without cranking the serotonin system up to full blast.

If you're the sort of person who needs a whole bunch of SRI activity to feel okay, but you also need some NRI to get motivated and positive, then Effexor is THE antidepressant. If you're the sort of person who needs more NE but not too much more 5HT, then the only SNRI worth looking into is milnacipran. It's 3x stronger as an NRI than SRI -- a strong noradrenergic boost, with just enough serotonin to take the edge off the negative emotions without causing general affective flattening.

As usual for innovative and cool antidepressants, milnacipran is not currently approved in the US. The active stereoisomer, levomilnacipran, is going through clinical trials for fibromyalgia. I sincerely hope that psychiatrists will recognize the value of prescribing it off-label to people who need norepinephrine but can't handle bupropion meddling with their DA or ACh systems.

LOL! :laugh:

:laugh: I have to admit, my post was stimulant-fueled too. Except I was on MPH, which makes me obsessively proofread and revise.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#24 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

I admit, I am feeling extremely hypersensitive, frantic and 'just not thinking straight', and also feel on the verge of panic or acting-out-of-control. Unfortunately, things are complicated by my situation at home. I had a fight with my parents last night and the dysphoria and suicidal ideation have escalated. Things have been so uncomfortable here in general that I just don't know what to do anymore; I mostly hide in my room and ignore my parents because any attempt to have a rational conversation with them just escalates into hostility. My mother is a narcissist and completely immune to criticism and my father is passive-aggressive/hyper-controlling. It's such an uncomfortable environment and makes any thought of dedicating myself to a long-term treatment like ERP (particularly when my symptoms are so bad) seem impossible.

It sounds like you're saying that your situation is too upsetting for you to make it through such a heavy-duty treatment as ERP, is that right? It is a pretty intensive form of therapy, as all exposure therapies are. The value of such intensive therapies lies in their unparalleled effectiveness, and for this reason it's best not to consider therapies on a one-axis spectrum from "intensive and demanding" at one end to "empathetic and supportive" on the other. The strongest and fastest benefits come with a therapist who simultaneously challenges and encourages, and a treatment which is both intensive and relieving. The way this feels is that during therapy sessions, you experience plenty of uncomfortable moments, sometimes more uncomfortable than your symptoms in everyday life. Yet due to the supportive approach, you feel noticeably better and more optimistic when you leave the office. Does your current therapy work like that much of the time?

Whatever you do, the biggest priority is to handle the symptoms which harm your well-being the most. In other words, it's crucial to improve your ability to make it through the day without suicidal urges, or leaden paralysis, or fear-based avoidance/interruption of important activities. If you remember the memantine helping you with any of these or the other most impairing symptoms before, it's very reasonable to think it will help you again.

To speak of cognitive distortions, it's not very likely that you falsely remember the memantine being helpful. (Such "rosy retrospection" would be expected in long-time optimists, not the chronically dysthymic and certainly not in chronic major depression.) It's far more likely that you're doubting memantine's usefulness due to a pervasive feeling of hopelessness, the same feeling which drives the thoughts of suicide.

This is why I'm concerned about the effectiveness of your psychodynamic therapy -- to my admittedly CBT-favoring view of how therapy works, restoring hope is priority one because hopelessness is the main correlate of suicide and a massive barrier to quality of life.

Your situation is miserable, but not insurmountable. The best advice I can give you now is to restrain the tendency to feel overwhelmed by the size of the changes you'd need to make to recover. Rather, focus your attention on what can be feasibly done today, with a goal to mildly challenge yourself but not overwhelm yourself. One day at a time, you know? Nobody can leap directly from illness to health in a single bound. The steps are small and the backslides are uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing. That's just the way these sorts of things unfold, when people recover from longstanding mental illness. Which they do, with the help of excellent medication management and psychotherapy.

EDIT: yeah, i'm revising. some part of my brain still thinks i'm in college and after i turn in the final draft of this essay, i will be rewarded with a raucous, captain-morgan-fueled fraternity party. #postgradproblems

Edited by jadamgo, 26 August 2012 - 09:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users