• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

A.L.I.C.E

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:07 AM

One doesn't need to understand the nature of mind, or intelligence or anything of the sort to create it. Sure, that is one way.

Another would be to emulate a human brain. We don't have the processing power for that yet, but it isn't terribly far off. You don't need to understand the human brain in all it's intricacies in order to build a copy. All you need to understand are the basic building blocks. In this case, the different types of neurons. If you can do that all you need to know is the basic structure they are arranged in. And then emulate it. An AI is born.

If you had high enough of a scanning resolution you could emulate an individual. But you still don't need anywhere near that resolution to create a kind of blank slate. An infant.

I am oversimplifying things. But not too much.

The infant AI would be able to experiment in all kinds of ways to determine superior modes of function. It wouldn't be long before it didn't bear any resemblance to an emulated human brain.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#32 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:32 AM

I am not so sure.  Here, in America, most of the people treated blacks as inferior animals... even as recent as the 1960s.  But today, the converse is true.  Blacks are generally welcomed by everyone.  Children today are more and more comfortable with technology, so when robots start popping up I don't think the youth will care much, but the older people might be put off.  And, if a robot can emulate humans in everyway, then who cares if they are robots or not?  Robots will appear inhuman at first, but as they are refined, the differences will go away.

Once human level AI is created, the time it will spend at human level will be quite short lived. The analogy you make comparing the situation between blacks and whites to humans and AI does not fit here. Because shortly after the creation of AI humans WILL be inferior animals. Are only hope of avoiding obsolescence is to merge with our technology.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users