Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What makes people look older?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

A number of things, but what could be the main thing?

Facial sagging? volume loss? Nasolabial folds?

This guy took a photo everyday for 12.5yrs, do you think there are any points where he rapidly aged within a short period? and what are the signs that are showing his age?

#2 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Everyday is a bit too often, IMO. His eyes stay virtually unchanged (at first). I'm glad he has audio clues, for I stopped watching. With the passing days the expression in his eyes changes. First there is wonder that is gradually replaced by fear and even despair. Towards the end, it is hardness and cold indifference. It's a great video and I hope he continues all the way.

IMO, what causes people to look old are the cells themselves, especially the superficial ones, of the skin and underlying fat and muscle. A young cell is small, plump and has hardly any garbage in it. With age, the size of each cell increases, mostly due to the accumulating junk. IMO, this increase in actual cell size accounts for most of the bulk and sag associated with aging. Also, the underlying muscle mass decreases with the corresponding increase in fat. But old people fat is very different from baby fat. Baby fat is... luminous, translucent and plumpy, while the old fat is dull grey and flabby.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Gaining weight in the face is probably the largest determiner of facial aging in my opinion. A thin face and neck will not sag until much later in life than one bloated with fat.

By the way, you can have a fat face even with a low BMI, if you are skinny fat. Even skinny people need a certain amount of exercise to maintain the structure of their face.

Look at celevrities who age well and ones who do not. The latter group is invariantly the ones who got thick around the gills. I think the same thing is what happened with this kid.

Edited by viveutvivas, 16 September 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

poor glucose and/or other metabolic control

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

There's visible photoaging that happens during this period- the older skin is mottled, while the younger skin is uniform. There's a glow in the young skin that's replaced with a dullness in the older skin. My understanding is that this is due to a thin layer of fat under the skin that goes away with aging. He develops a slight baggy look under his eyes, along with a darkening that kind of looks like he has allergies. He has some hairline recession. It's pretty subtle, but makes quite a difference, imho. He develops more prominent nasolabial folds. These are all extremely common signs of aging.

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

IMO photoaging is the least of it. You get 18 year olds with lots of freckling and forehead lines who still look 18. What makes people look older is mainly the sagging around the jowls, the chin/neck area, and under the eyes, and not so much the superficial freckling and wrinkling. The sagging can be avoided for the most part by keeping the face lean.
  • like x 1

#7 Adamzski

• Topic Starter
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Everyday is a bit too often, IMO. His eyes stay virtually unchanged (at first). I'm glad he has audio clues, for I stopped watching. With the passing days the expression in his eyes changes. First there is wonder that is gradually replaced by fear and even despair.

It struck me with him but I have noticed this myself, when im on wellbutrin and now c60 hehe I have a wide eyed look, I hold my eyebrow muscles tighter/more open and the muscles under my eyes firmer reducing my bags.

Could be a big part of facial aging, the world smashing us down and our facial muscles losing definition and any ability to go back to how they were.

Facial exercises from what I have seen just cause more wrinkles, years of having sappy looks allowing our faces to sag maybe can not be undone.

and yeah the difference between puppy fat and old fat.. many young girls that I know have chubbyish faces with deep folds when they smile but this combined with a glowing fat must make the difference.

Two pics of my friend, she is 28, looks like a baby, she is really adorable.. and another same age as me 34! No surgery on either as they dont have the almost standard procedure here in Korea double upper eyelids...

Attached Files

#8 mikeb80

• 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

Deeper nasolabial folds and weight gain in the face are the more evident signs of aging (at least in this video).
But I'd mention the taller forehead too... even if he's not getting bald, during the years the hair line shifted a couple centimeters.
And the beard adds 5 years to his look. Shave him LOL (4.40-4.46 and 4.53) and he will appear younger.

#9 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

Who cares. Take care of yourself, work on your character, keep on working out, maintain a healthy balanced diet and try to look your best in relation to your age- group and peer. That´s it! No point in obsessing over something that can't be controlled. Perhaps surgery at 40-50 can be something as long as it is done once or twice tops by good recommended surgeons and with minimal intervention. Too many interventions and cut's makes things worse and doesn't fool anybody.

#10 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

cool, reminds me of the movie Cutter. Dude aged a lot in 12.5 years,, i would have guessed 20 years.
In order with top cause first:
skin photo damage/ age spots
eyelid ptosis
beard
under eye hollows
hair line
corrugator muscle "11s"
N/L folds
thinning brow

Edited by JohnD60, 17 September 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#11 Adamzski

• Topic Starter
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

A shave, microfiber cloth and a few weeks of vitamin C would defiantly make him look 5yrs younger.

He was 19yo when he started.
Stabilised and sped up version

The ratio of upper cheek area fat to jaw line fat, the sunken tear ducts and folds growth really show in this video.

Edited by Adamzski, 17 September 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#12 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

His hairstyle makes a huge difference. The times he cut his hair short he suddenly looks 5 years younger.

#13 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Also the facial grooming. When he grows an old man beard, it is no wonder he looks older.

A shave, microfiber cloth and a few weeks of vitamin C would defiantly make him look 5yrs younger.

Vitamin C? Really?

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Also the facial grooming. When he grows an old man beard, it is no wonder he looks older.

Vitamin C? Really?

Probably, if topical. Highly unlikely, if oral.

#15 mikeb80

• 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yes... I can confirm that... as personal experience.
Few days ago I shaved my beard (it was approximately of that length) and all the people I met told me that I look some years younger.

Edited by mikeb80, 17 September 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#16 Adamzski

• Topic Starter
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Vitamin C? Really?

Probably, if topical. Highly unlikely, if oral.

Vitamin C powder from owndoc mixed into a local cheap hyaluronic acid lotion has changed my skin over the past month. Not in an exactly huge way but apart from skin peels its the fastest to see results and best thing that I have used.

#17 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Wrinkles (including NL folds)
Skin coloration/age spots/mottling
Hair color
Hair line
Sagging skin (all over but most pronounced under the chin)
Subcutaneous fat loss
Increased hair growth in other areas besides the top of the head (ears/ear lobes, nose, neck, cheeks, eyebrows. etc)

Isn't there also a subtle change in facial structure as well. I am not sure if I read it or heard it from real gerontology circles/research or from anti-aging gurus, but doesn't our facial bone and muscle structure sag or slightly change due to decades of gravity working against our decaying repair mechanisms?

#18 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I am not sure if I read it or heard it from real gerontology circles/research or from anti-aging gurus, but doesn't our facial bone and muscle structure sag or slightly change due to decades of gravity working against our decaying repair mechanisms?

Yes, which is why Blanche Devereaux decided to have sex on her back only.

• like x 1

#19 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Isn't there also a subtle change in facial structure as well. I am not sure if I read it or heard it from real gerontology circles/research or from anti-aging gurus, but doesn't our facial bone and muscle structure sag or slightly change due to decades of gravity working against our decaying repair mechanisms?

Bone loss in the face is most visible in the lower jaw and around the eye socket. But I don't think it happens to a great deal at this guy's age (19-32) http://blog.drnemeth...-Cause-of-Aging I suggested similar bone loss in my pelvis as a cause of my inguinal hernia to my surgeon (a man that has done thousands of such operations), he didn't think that to be likely, so it is possible that such age related bone loss is localized to the face.

#20 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

To me, bone loss in the face is no different than bone loss anyplace else on your body. All the more reason to take K2. Especially MK7. Most people have no idea about the skin protection it offers.

Vitamin K2

I’ve written before about the incredible health benefits of a diet rich in vitamin K2. Vitamin K2′s role in the body includes protecting us from heart disease, forming strong bones, promoting brain function, supporting growth and development and helping to prevent cancer – to name a few. It performs these functions by helping to deposit calcium in appropriate locations, such as in the bones and teeth, and prevent it from depositing in locations where it does not belong, such as the soft tissues. One of the health benefits of vitamin K2 not often discussed is its role in ensuring healthy skin, and this vitamin is likely beneficial for preventing wrinkling and premature aging.
Adequate dietary vitamin K2 prevents calcification of our skin’s elastin, the protein that gives skin the ability to spring back, smoothing out lines and wrinkles. (9) This is because K2 is necessary for activation of matrix proteins that inhibit calcium from being deposited in elastin fibers and keeping these fibers from hardening and causing wrinkles. In fact, recent research suggests that people who cannot metabolize vitamin K end up with severe premature skin wrinkling. (10) Vitamin K2 is also necessary for the proper functioning of vitamin A- and D- dependent proteins. As I discussed in the first article in this series, vitamin A is essential for proper skin cell proliferation, and cannot work properly if vitamin K2 is not available. Therefore, vitamin K2 is important in the treatment of acne, keratosis pillaris, and other skin symptoms of vitamin A deficiency.
It’s important to get adequate amounts of dietary vitamin K2, particularly if trying to heal the skin or prevent wrinkles. Great sources of vitamin K2 include butter and other high fat dairy products from grass-fed cows, egg yolks, liver, and natto. Fermented foods such as sauerkraut and cheese are also quite high in vitamin K2 due to the production of this vitamin by bacteria. It is important to note that commercial butter and other dairy products are not significantly high sources of vitamin K2, as most dairy cattle in our country are fed grains rather than grass. It is the grazing on vitamin K1-rich grasses that leads to high levels of vitamin K2 in the dairy products of animals, so be sure to look for grass-fed dairy products when trying to increase your intake of vitamin K2. (11) A great all-around supplement for skin health is Green Pasture’s Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Butter Oil blend. It has a great mix of vitamins A, D, K2, and omega-3s in the proper ratios to help maximize skin health, especially in people with acne.

http://chriskresser.com/

Edited by mustardseed41, 22 September 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#21 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

A survey found that people thought age spots were more aging that anything else.

If people could choose their aging symptoms, this discussion would have more practical use.

I don't agree with viveutvivas. Some fat in the face or upper body keeps some people from getting gaunt when the get older. Lack of fat doesn't prevent the face from sagging.

#22 Maecenas

• 181 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

There is a lot of evidence that apparent age of your face is mostly determined by bone structure. Have you ever seen 20 year old who looks 40? They look so not because of health or skin reasons but because of facial features. You can see the same effects in professional bodybuilders ho take HGH - their faces become more masculine and mature because offbone changes. Almost 50% of our apparent age depends on our facial bone structure and is out of our control.There are baby-faced people who look young in their 40s and who do almost nothing to stay healthy and there are fitness and diet fanatics who look 40 in their 20s. It's unfair, but we can't change it.

#23 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I find the bone structure theory unconvincing. If it were true, face lifts wouldn't work.

#24 Adamzski

• Topic Starter
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Laser, a HT, Sulptra Filler and maybe lower eyelid surgery

Posted Image

The Hairline and facial volume really do the most but without the rest he looks strange.

http://i1109.photobu...zpse1018236.jpg
  • like x 1

#25 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

If people could choose their aging symptoms, this discussion would have more practical use.

Maybe such intervention do not exist in Oceania, but where I live, there are too many to list

#26 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

This guy only 31? Hard to believe. He looks much older.

Posted Image

#27 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I find the bone structure theory unconvincing. If it were true, face lifts wouldn't work.

Face lifts won't make 40 year old look like 20.

#28 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Face lifts won't make 40 year old look like 20.

Depends on the 40 year old, and depends on the 20 year old. Mario Lopez might be an example - he probably had some work done (no proof, just a hunch).

In any case, the shortcomings of face lifts have everything to do with soft tissue and almost nothing to do with bone structure changes. If only it were that easy, since bone structure is relatively easy to modify.

#29 creation6is

• 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

To me he looks older because his face has become more masculinized.

I focused on the eye area to see if aging or wrinkles or stress shadows appeared over time and they didn't. But the nose elongated and the face morphed into a more matured one.

To me this says that aging is a process of hormonal morphological changes. Since time is an illusion and just a measure of the amount of change that has been counted perhaps a person who knows what caused hormonal morphological restructuring could prevent the events. Since everything is in the mind, perhaps staying away from stress would also help prevent the aging process from accumulating these negative events.

#30 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

I don't agree. His main problem is a lot of weight gain, making his face look jowly. If he had stayed lean, he would hardly have changed at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users