• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Anhedonia Thread

anhedonia depression attention l-dopa ssre adaptogen quetiapine consummatory anhedonia

• Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

#121 Dissolvedissolve

• 200 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Given its short length of action, MDPV does not seem to be a great therapeutic option. It's also not very well studied, so there is no knowledge of its potential neurotoxicity/excitotoxicity. I would say it's much safer to stay with well-studied options. So methylphenidate is worth a try if it does the job - I've seen some animal studies suggesting it may be safer than amphetamine - and amphetamine is as well. Unless you've tried those options, messing with RCs with unknown side effects seems really unwise. I don't want to mischaracterize substances, since that's a common problem, but MDPV is a common ingredient in "bath salts," and has a strong potential for addiction.

Desoxypipradrol has been around a bit longer and has a bit more research - it's apparently pharmacologically and chemically similar to methylphenidate, but it's still riskier than the well-established methylphenidate and amphetamine.

#122 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I find the desoxy mdpv combo far better then amphetamine tbh, amp does make me completely anhedonia free so do all stimulants and GHB and psdychedelics but the last 2 dont work for my sa nor make me feel normal like stims.

Stimulants make you completely anhedonia free and desoxy-mdpv combo works even better - so you know how to cure anhedonia? You have multiple solutions for it? What is this thread for? 8O

Given its short length of action, MDPV does not seem to be a great therapeutic option. It's also not very well studied, so there is no knowledge of its potential neurotoxicity/excitotoxicity. I would say it's much safer to stay with well-studied options. So methylphenidate is worth a try if it does the job - I've seen some animal studies suggesting it may be safer than amphetamine - and amphetamine is as well. Unless you've tried those options, messing with RCs with unknown side effects seems really unwise. I don't want to mischaracterize substances, since that's a common problem, but MDPV is a common ingredient in "bath salts," and has a strong potential for addiction.

Desoxypipradrol has been around a bit longer and has a bit more research - it's apparently pharmacologically and chemically similar to methylphenidate, but it's still riskier than the well-established methylphenidate and amphetamine.

Too bad methylphenidate did nothing to me. I guess I need to try amphetamine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#123 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

MDPV is the least toxic of all pyravolones or how you spell it, its probably very safe, with desoxy i never feel it wear off and usually forget to redose, its a differened beast in combo.

As i pointed out rc's have risk wich is why i suggested to do a carefull cost/benefit analysis about what to use.

Desoxy went past the toxiticy trials so is prob as safe as ritalin.

"Stimulants make you completely anhedonia free and desoxy-mdpv combo works even better - so you know how to cure anhedonia? You have multiple solutions for it?"

Those dont work better for anhedonia, amp completely cures that but better for other things

Curing anhedonia is very simple, know a shitload of solutions but most are less studied rc's, still its easy as hell to cure long term.

#124 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Alrite. Let me get some things clear.

1) Are you nowdays anhedonia free?

2) There is a number of substances that cures anhedonia. Could you make a list of the substances or substance combos that gave you 100% remission of consummatory anhedonia?

3) You have kept discussing anhedonia in this thread since the beginning and you have discussed it all over the internet for years even though you appear to have simple solutions for it. What is your reason for actively continuing the research?

4) You have attempted to figure out the exact mechanisms behind anhedonia (such as the role of glutamate). Since you have already found working treatments, why to bother?

All-in-all: what is your advice for someone who suffers from chronic consummatory anhedonia (but from nothing else)?

P.S. Some of the questions may seem a bit needless as the answers may be self-evident, but I'd like to get your own, honest, detailed opinion. If it's not too much to ask! Thanks.

#125 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

What do you think of atomoxetine aka Strattera? It's a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and also an NMDA-antagonist. Methylphenidate did only side-effects to me but I also have a Strattera prescription that I never used.

#126 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

What do you think of atomoxetine aka Strattera? It's a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and also an NMDA-antagonist. Methylphenidate did only side-effects to me but I also have a Strattera prescription that I never used.

I only ever tried Strattera as monotherapy, never in combination with something else. As such, I saw no improvement of anything. In fact, I only saw the immediate effect of putting me to sleep for 6.5 hours after taking it. Once I got to the larger doses, I saw only increased side effects.

#127 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

The whole idea of a relatively pure NRI is mind boggingly to me, still. "Here, have some OCD and anxiety in a pill" :-)

#128 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

The reviews of stratera and especially reboxetine are rather horrid, the ne releaser wellbutrin has very good reviews tough.

#129 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Be careful with wellbutrin if you have anxiety or ocd though

#130 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

I only ever tried Strattera as monotherapy, never in combination with something else. As such, I saw no improvement of anything. In fact, I only saw the immediate effect of putting me to sleep for 6.5 hours after taking it. Once I got to the larger doses, I saw only increased side effects.

Okay, I will go for amphetamines first. If they bring some help, I'll proceed to examine the CILTEP stack of yours first!

Listen, when you posted to this thread for the first time I kind of ignored it because I still was extremely convinced with the "endogenous opioid deficiency" hypothesis and therefore kind of ignored all the stimulant talk. Now I know better. So here's what I'm curious about now: what exactly was your anhedonia like?

I'm asking this because it's important to know what exacly has amphetamine + CILTEP helped you with. After all, anhedonia can mean many things. Before treatment, what was socializing like? Listening to music? Eating sugary foods? Exercising? How about motivation in general? Did you take any non-stimulant drugs like alcohol, cannabis, opioids etc. when having anhedonia and how did they make you feel? How about the attention deficiency - how exactly did it manifest itself? You mentioned that you like to skip your stack to relax - doesn't the anhedonia intervene with pleasure obtained from relaxing?

A lot of questions, but I'm getting some amphetamine for me soon and I want to know what I'm dealing with. I'll report here when I've tested something.

#131 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Okay, I will go for amphetamines first. If they bring some help, I'll proceed to examine the CILTEP stack of yours first!

Listen, when you posted to this thread for the first time I kind of ignored it because I still was extremely convinced with the "endogenous opioid deficiency" hypothesis and therefore kind of ignored all the stimulant talk. Now I know better. So here's what I'm curious about now: what exactly was your anhedonia like?

I'm asking this because it's important to know what exacly has amphetamine + CILTEP helped you with. After all, anhedonia can mean many things. Before treatment, what was socializing like? Listening to music? Eating sugary foods? Exercising? How about motivation in general? Did you take any non-stimulant drugs like alcohol, cannabis, opioids etc. when having anhedonia and how did they make you feel? How about the attention deficiency - how exactly did it manifest itself? You mentioned that you like to skip your stack to relax - doesn't the anhedonia intervene with pleasure obtained from relaxing?

A lot of questions, but I'm getting some amphetamine for me soon and I want to know what I'm dealing with. I'll report here when I've tested something.

Whew, I could write all day and maybe not cover all of those questions, but I'll do my best to give you a summary. I've written quite a few essay length posts on here over the past year about my symptoms and how I got here.

First of all, I don't know if you have any history with stimulants, but I sure didn't when I started taking Adderall. It was rough on me. My blood pressure and heart rate shot up. The crash every night, the dry mouth, irritability, and jaw grinding were awful too. The higher my doses got, the more side effects popped out. When I got up to 60mg/day, I often felt socially awkward, and it was hard for me to switch gears. I also had OCD tendencies, cleaning and sorting things when I should have been doing other things.

Also, when I was taking only the stimulant without CILTEP, Adderall worked better than d-amphetamine. However, d-amphetamine + CILTEP works with less side effects for me than Adderall + CILTEP. The only reason I'm not on d-amp + CILTEP now is because my current doctor doesn't seem to fully understand that Adderall isn't less harmful or addicting than d-amp.

What I'm about to describe might not fit into a neat box called anhedonia, and others who have anhedonia may not relate to it. All I know is that it fits better than ADHD-PI:

It could be dysthymia, not necessarily ADHD-PI, there is a huge overlap, i.e. lethargy, loss of motivation, inability to concentrate.

Dysthymia would be a type of depression. I don't think I've ever been depressed for no reason. I'm more of an inattentive mind-wanderer and day dreamer. My thoughts paralyze my production. My impulse to feed my imagination is over-bearing at times. My itchiness to do something else literally affects my whole body and mind... eh, not to say I can't get down from self frustration, but that's the scope of the depressive symptoms.

I can relate to this 100%. Growing up, I was a Winnie the Pooh like crazy. Content, well behaved, smart, but always a day dreamer. In my teens, I started taking pseudoephedrine (mild stimulant) daily for allergies and became a quick witted, though somewhat procrastinating (yet able to get things done at the last moment), social person; graduated Valedictorian.

When I went to college, I no longer needed to take allergy medicine because I wasn't around my family's cats any more. Also, the material got harder, things weren't as intuitive, and I couldn't talk my way out of late assignments like in high school. Things stopped working right, and I failed out of college 3 times over the next 8 years.

Seems as if most doctors can't wrap their head around the fact that I'm not depressed. They look at the college failure and want to give me SSRI's. (Side note: If I'm depressed because of an emotional reason, shouldn't the doctor recommend therapy instead of stuffing me full of drugs? Aren't anti-depressants supposed to be targeted toward people who are depressed for no reason?) I laugh a lot, smile often, and generally lean towards a realistic nature with a touch of optimism. Does that sound like depression at all?

My main symptoms being: lack of motivation, poor memory, inability to maintain concentration on things that aren't "new" (I can research on the internet for hours, but have a ridiculously hard time reading for any length of time about something uninteresting or that I already know about).

This reminds me of all those times where I struggled to explain my ADD-like symptoms, and was told that I just needed to have more motivation. Gee, thanks! You know, I think I'll go around telling depressed people that they just need to be happier, or choking people that they just need to breathe!

It would take me 12 cups of coffee to make it through an 8 hour/day desk job, and I still would struggled to keep from falling asleep at my desk. When I would go home, I would want to watch tv and sleep until the next day. It took so much work to "will" my brain into keeping its attention that I was exhausted from being bored.

When I'm not on any kind of suppliments/medication, most daily tasks take a monumental amount of "willpower" to do. I'm working twice as hard as the guy next to me to get through the same amount of work, since half of my brainpower is going towards "getting myself motivated" and keeping myself focused. Therefore I burn out before those around me, and it makes me look lazy and unmotivated.

I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, and it takes about an hour after waking for the brain fog to go away. Some days (err... a lot of days) I don't really get anything done. I just shuffle around the house until its time to go to work (I work the evening shift). I look at the clock and wonder where the day has gone, because "I was just getting ready to do that really important thing I needed to do..."

Certain tasks come very easily to me (usually involving something new and interesting to me), while most every day tasks are like a giant boulder that I have to struggle and strain against to get it started rolling. Most doctors say it's depression or ADHD, and neither fit that well. Its a type of depression, I suppose. Except I'm not sad, or anxious, or the symptoms that most people equate to depression. And I have absolutely no signs of Hyperactivity, so most people get confused if I say that I have ADHD-Inattentive.

If I take no supplements whatsoever, I have this constant sedated feeling. I don't get frustrated, angry, or anxious. I don't have a sense of urgency, even for important things. Just kind of a dreamy fuzziness to my days. My daydreams tend to grab my focus more than the world around me. At night, I lay down my head and struggle to remember what I did that day, which is usually not that much of anything.

To describe this all another way: Let's say there is a scale of pleasure from -10 (most unpleasant), 0 being neutral, to 10 (let's call it orgasmic bliss).

When I am not on anything at all, I am always stuck at 2. It takes extreme situations to get me to deviate from that. Learning something novel, new, or interesting produces a 3. A really good book, movie or song produces a 4. A good looking woman (haha) produces a 5. Skydiving produced a 6.

Getting in a fight with my family: 0. Getting cut off in traffic: 0. Being insulted by someone: 0. Failing a test: 0. Being broke: 0.

Anyway maybe you can see the pattern, or maybe not. But basically, I'm always content. Never worried, never sad, though I can get quite pensive at times. But never really happy or excited. I mentally know how I "should" feel, but it's not there. It kind of feels like I have a few beers in my system. I feel numb. Content and relaxed, but completely passive and somewhat emotionless.

Being always stuck at 2 has it's advantages in that I always feel pleasant, but the fact that I don't fluctuate causes issues with motivation. If it hurts to get off my butt and do something, and what I have to do is never rewarding in any way, then it is twice as hard to continue doing it. On the other hand, I know that it's going to feel okay if I just sit there and don't do it. Living life where every little task is forced out of the guilt of not doing it makes for a very heavy life, indeed.

On the other hand, with the CILTEP + Adderall stack, my baseline is 0. If I don't do something I know I should be doing, it actually hurts a little bit (depending on how important it is). I actually start to get irritated that I'm not doing it. So it drops into the negatives. But when I get up to go do it, it quickly swings into the positives. Now, since I'm not trying to induce a high, I have tweaked my doses so that hopefully my brain only rewards me in the way that it's supposed to. I don't feel euphoric every time I take out the garbage, I just do it. And when I get done, I wonder why it was so hard to do while not under the influence.

So motivation for me is not inducing euphoria (which actually hinders motivation for me), it is changing my brain so that it can correctly reinforce good behavior with the proper amount of reward.

To answer another of your questions:
No, I don't have any experience with anything besides legal supplements, prescription amphetamines, and alcohol.

Alcohol is a tricky beast to assess, because I mostly drank it right after my ex had cheated on me, several years ago. I don't think it makes me feel like how it makes other people feel. It is mostly physical in it's effects, and leaves most of my emotions and thoughts in their normal state. I know this not only from my own observations, but from other people who tell me this. They have said that even though my speech slurs, I still have all my faculties and make sense even when I've been nearly failing down drunk (which has only been about 5 times in my life).

Now that I only drink one or two beers at most, I know that it really doesn't effect my anhedonia unless I have other supplements in my body.

Sorry for this jumbly mess of a post. If you have made it this far, you have my condolences. I will end it here, and if you have any follow up questions about confusing or conflicting statements I made, or questions I left unanswered, feel free to ask.

Edited by zrbarnes, 05 December 2012 - 06:30 AM.

• like x 3

#132 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thank you so much for taking the pains to write and collect that description. I'm now even more interested in amphetamine, as I can identify with so many of your experiences. I have a condition extremely similar to ADHD-PI (diagnosed as ADHD) that began at the same time with anhedonia. I was diagnosed in early 2011 and I was prescribed methylphenidate, which did nothing for my attention deficiency but caused unbearable side-effects (a flu-like state without the snot). I have since focused more on anhedonia, but lately, thanks to newest research data on the brain, I have found a connection between the two issues. I do not have ADHD as ADHD is an inborn condition, but my current state of brain function includes attention deficiency similar to ADHD-PI.

I'm not sure if your anhedonia is as sever as mine. For example, the fact that music and movies can create a "4" is a bit surprising, as they have pretty much zero impact on me these days. Also , I'm not sure what to make of your reading experiences, because thanks to my attention deficiency I can read at most 10 pages an hour even if it's interesting, and thanks to anhedonia novels bring no pleasure and therefore appear uninteresting.

However, it generally sounds like your condition has very, very many similarities to mine and combined with medievil's experiences and his anhedonia's similarity to mine (the opioid resistance for example) definitely supports the use of amphetamine.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I read the whole thread again and understand everything much better now. I apologize for my confused and confusing words in this thread, two months ago I knew absolutely nothing about the brain function :) So, based on the information collected in this thread here are the treatment strategies I am going to try in the order that the numbers state:

1. Glutamatergic amphetamines: amphetamine, levoamphetamine, dextroamphetamine
2. Other amphetamines: methamphetamine, MDMA etc.
3. Non-hallucinogenic threshold doses of psychedelics: LSD, 2CD etc.
5. Combined cannabinoids & serotonin releasers: cannabis & MDAI, Echinacea & MDAI etc.
4. Monoamine phasicity balancers: olanzapine (Zyprexa)
6. NMDAR-antagonists: methoxetamine, DXM

+ Potent exogenous opioids for diagnostic purposes as they can reveal whether there is any response to opioids:
morphine, heroin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, buprenorphine, opium tinctures etc.

What hasn't worked

Exogenous opioids: codeine
Increased endogenous opioid production: Low-Dose Naltrexone (aka LDN)
Dopamine: L-DOPA (from Mucuna Pruriens) & green tea extract, Echinacea Purpurea
Combined opioids & dopamine: L-DOPA (from Mucuna Pruriens) & green tea extract & LDN
Cannabinoids: Cannabis, Echinacea Purpurea
NMDAR-antagonists: small dose of DXM
Non-amphetamine class stimulants: methylphenidate, caffeine

Edited by Vieno, 06 December 2012 - 10:25 PM.

• like x 2

#133 Dissolvedissolve

• 200 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I assume you are aware of this, but there are some risks associated with some of the substances you've mentioned.

Methamphetamine, if purchased illegally, is likely to be impure, and even if you get a prescription, I can't imagine it being more effective than dextroamphetamine. There is a large risk of neurotoxicity, moreso than with dextroamphetamine, which is already a somewhat risky proposition, at least at the higher end of the therapeutic dosage range.

MDMA may be neurotoxic, depending on dosage, frequency of usage, and substances coadministered. It's definitely not viable as a daily thing. The individuals I know who have used MDMA more than once every month or few months have reported pretty negative side effects.

Wikipedia warns of the purity of online MDAI suppliers. I would look into getting an analysis done on it if it works and you're planning on taking it regularly.

MXE has some dependence potential and is a research chemical, so its safety profile is not well-established.

I'd be very careful with opiates, due to potential for dependence moreso than any direct harms. Since you know you don't respond to opiates independent of a stimulant, I don't know why you'd risk experimenting with more.

Edit: Also, thank you zrbarnes for the very informative post. Dextroamphetamine is very intriguing, although the fact that it requires a prescription is a bit obnoxious, especially for someone with no cognitive impairment and little likelihood of being able to procure a prescription.

Edited by Dissolvedissolve, 06 December 2012 - 11:21 PM.

• like x 1

#134 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

I am aware of this. I'd like to keep this thread dedicated for figuring out cures for anhedonia, not for discussion on people's safety and so on. I think it's good to mention and discuss the dangers of recommended treatments, but educational warning posts like the one above don't belong here IMO. I think it's useful to discuss here the particular chemistry of drugs in question, but things like purity of street drugs and addictiveness of opioids are offtopic, they're sociology and psychology and can have their own threads. If someone's worried about me killing myself with impure meth, send a PM. I may not respond but then you know that you tried to save me ;)

Anyway, to discuss the details of the drugs mentioned.

Firstly, this is only the experimental stage. Possible neurotoxicity of research chemicals is not an issue, because I am only going to test things. When working substances are pinpointed, the research to find a sustainable treatment begins. Zrbarnes is a great example of someone who's done that.

I consider amphetamine as most potent and meth and ecstasy of lower rank only: however, if for some case I'm unable to obtain amphetamine or amphetamine for some reason does not work for me, I may try them.

The reason I'm still thinking of opioids is that of exogenous opioids I have only tried codeine which doesn't work on everyone because of genetic reasons, and the effect of LDN isn't often euphoric on normal individuals anyway.There's no risk with opioids, as the only dangers are 1) overdose which is very easy to avoid with basic meticulousness and 2) tolerance which will be no problem if used only once. I'm fairly sure that opioids won't work as codeine/LDN didn't and medievil only responds to them with stimulants, but there's a small chance that things are different for me. My focus is on amphetamine and other things like psychedelics but if I have an opportunity to get potent opioids easily, I think it's wise to utilize it.

Edited by Vieno, 07 December 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#135 anon2042

• 84 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Although I'm coming at anhedonia from a different angle than I guess most of you in this thread (others minus the depressive symptoms), thanks zrbarnes for the descriptive post on how anhedonia manifests itself for you and how the CILTEP stack has worked.

I'm in the process of tweaking some things right now so I may not try this right away, and certainly if I had another option than amphetamines I would like to take it, but I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I'm sure she would prescribe me ritalin, at the very least, so I can test later. Thankfully I have a non-addictive personality, so she may even be fine with d-amp.

#136 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Although I'm coming at anhedonia from a different angle than I guess most of you in this thread (others minus the depressive symptoms), thanks zrbarnes for the descriptive post on how anhedonia manifests itself for you and how the CILTEP stack has worked.

I'm in the process of tweaking some things right now so I may not try this right away, and certainly if I had another option than amphetamines I would like to take it, but I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I'm sure she would prescribe me ritalin, at the very least, so I can test later. Thankfully I have a non-addictive personality, so she may even be fine with d-amp.

It appears that methylphenidate may work, but there's a big chance it won't. For me, it didn't, neither did it for zrbarnes and medievil. I also know this other anhedonic who says that he had a "partial response" to methylphenidate. Although, this one tried Adderall too and saw _no_ help at all, but on the other hand he got terrible side effects meaning extreme blood pressure. It appears that he has some sort of a health problem probably not related to anhedonia that prevents the usage of amphetamine.

In general, when evaluating the effeciacy of anhedonia treatments for different people we must remember that not all anhedonics are anhedonics meaning, that the definition of the word varies. Some call their motivational problems anhedonia.

What about you amnesiagirl, medievil, zrbarnes and others - how's the sexual anhedonia? Is it actual sexual dysfunction such as anorgasmia, impotence etc. or just lack of euphoric pleasure obtained from sexual activity even though arousal and gratification is still possible at some boring level? This is an important question in terms of figuring out what exactly are we trying to cure.

Edited by Vieno, 07 December 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#137 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I wish I could convince my shrink to prescribe me MPH (D-AMP is out anyhow, it's not really on the market in Switzerland) just to see what it does (or for that matter, get over my fear of rejection and actually ASK for the damn thing :) ). The longer I think about it, the more I get convinced that I need some dopaminergic (latest confirmation comes from my Prozac experiment) on top of those SSRIs. Like amnesiagirl (and unlike the others) anhedonia is just one of the symptoms I am trying to address (next to depression and anxiety, which SSRIs do a good at, lack of motivation and intense fear of rejection - the latter two I am about as lost on treating as ever)

On the sexual side, it depends on a lot on what medication I am on. Without any SSRI (or for that matter, on Prozac [1]) erectile dysfunction is not a concern but delayed orgasms can be - also I never actually had that feeling of being blown away. Also I am never quite sure if I can say that I am satisfied? By experience, whatever I achieve (sexually or not) seems not enough (though SSRIs cure this to some degree), there is always that next target that immediately becomes center of attention.

Has anyone considered Testosterone supplementation to treat anhedonia? I need to find an open minded endo that lets me play around with Androgel, me thinks (not too hot on messing around with black market meds).

[1] I suspect Prozac is not really an SSRI, it's definitely SRI but I feel like it also has dopaminergic (hell some days it increases libido above baseline for me) and potentially NE components to it and some of the literature seems to agree (see http://biopsychiatry...fluoxdopnor.htm). It also, for the first time in probably 15 years, made me sensitive to caffeine (quite a strange feeling, I have to say). In fairness, Cymbalta might have done that too but that was all around weird so hard to pin down

Edited by nupi, 07 December 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#138 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

lack of motivation and intense fear of rejection - the latter two I am about as lost on treating as ever)

You need to understand that this has nothing to do with physiology. Obviously all thinking is fundamentally physiological, but having such complex thoughts as "fear of rejection" is light years away from our understanding of the brain. You need psychotherapy.

On the sexual side, it depends on a lot on what medication I am on. Without any SSRI (or for that matter, on Prozac [1]) erectile dysfunction is not a concern but delayed orgasms can be - also I never actually had that feeling of being blown away. Also I am never quite sure if I can say that I am satisfied? By experience, whatever I achieve (sexually or not) seems not enough (though SSRIs cure this to some degree), there is always that next target that immediately becomes center of attention.

Has anyone considered Testosterone supplementation to treat anhedonia? I need to find an open minded endo that lets me play around with Androgel, me thinks (not too hot on messing around with black market meds).

[1] I suspect Prozac is not really an SSRI, it's definitely SRI but I feel like it also has dopaminergic (hell some days it increases libido above baseline for me) and potentially NE components to it and some of the literature seems to agree (see http://biopsychiatry...fluoxdopnor.htm). It also, for the first time in probably 15 years, made me sensitive to caffeine (quite a strange feeling, I have to say). In fairness, Cymbalta might have done that too but that was all around weird so hard to pin down

Testosterone does nothing for anhedonia. Testosterone deficiency leads to depressive symptoms like dysphoria, lack of motivation and fatigue but not anhedonia.

Generally, I don't understand what the hell are you doing, you can not expect to treat anhedonia when you're on an SSRI. Get your psychological problems fixed, then see if there's any physiological dysfunction left. Like I said previously to amnesiagirl, this thread is only harmful for those suffering from psychological problems. Medievil's experience has shown that OCD-like symptoms may be quire directly physiological, but if you are afraid of rejection, what do you think a drug can do? Get you high so everything feels nice? If you want to not be afraid without being high, you need to face your irrational thoughts. I'm writing this to make sure that this thread remains as a discussion on physiology.
  • dislike x 1

#139 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Why am I taking an SSRI? Because it actually works for treating generalized anxiety and depression and some pure O symptoms. It just does not fix motivation/anhedonia (motivation clearly is not there if there is no psychological payoff) and the fear of rejection which is to be expected because those are, if anything, linked much more to dopamine.

I am fine if you want to keep this thread to pure anhedonia (whatever that really means, color me unconvinced that this truly exists on its own) and its physiological causes. However, it is kind of disingenuous to claim so while running around suggesting people should face their irrational thoughts instead of addressing underlying neurological causes. Especially considering that
a) half the issues were already fixed with pharmaceuticals (and exactly the ones that one would expect that group of drugs to address)
b) that psychotherapy (in the CBT variety, Freudian/Jungian is just a waste of time) is simply a rather elaborate way of trying to explain people:your thinking is irrational, change it and life will be better (you do not say, like I do not already know that the sky will not fall if X happens). I have never found anyone that could actually explain me how I would get my brain to actually internalize that what I could figure out myself, too. This is after spending thousands of bucks on therapy, with nada to show for. (the only reason why I even bother with therapy is because I consider it the necessarily evil to have someone give me prescriptions to try different meds that might actually help. The occasional sanity checks on my far out ideas also do not necessarily hurt).

#140 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Okay, I see your point and apologize for diagnosing your problems as purely psychological. I truly mean this, no sarcasm. Obviously I'm having a bit hard time believing thought disorers to be physiological, but that's my probelm. So are we done now? Let's get back to physiology...

#141 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Fair enough. So lacking access to pharmaceutical dopaminergics (except Wellbutrin but that is really more NE than DA and the NE makes me more pure O than I otherwise am) I decided to go the Uridine/DHA/CDP Choline route again, we'll see if it helps. I'd try CILTEP but the reports on long term sustainability are rather mixed and I am bit worried by the potential hepatotoxicity of the Forskolin extracts...

As for medication affecting thought patterns - ever seen people on Cocaine (disclaimer: never tried, no intention to do so)? If you had any doubts that stron dopaminergics can significantly change behavior that should remove them. Similarly but less blatantly obvious, benzos for GAD or SSRIs for OCD.

Edited by nupi, 07 December 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#142 Vieno

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Fair enough. So lacking access to pharmaceutical dopaminergics (except Wellbutrin but that is really more NE than DA and the NE makes me more pure O than I otherwise am) I decided to go the Uridine/DHA/CDP Choline route again, we'll see if it helps. I'd try CILTEP but the reports on long term sustainability are rather mixed and I am bit worried by the potential hepatotoxicity of the Forskolin extracts...

Hmm, why dopaminergics specifically? Are you talking about motivation? The solutions offered in this thread are for consummatory anhedonia. According to medievil, it is the glutamatergic action that makes some stimulants effective. Pure dopaminergics don't seem to do much as indicated by lack of response to L-DOPA, tricyclic antidepressants, methylphenidate etc. Another possible effective mechanism can be serotonergic, or generally monoaminergic in terms of phasic activity, but I see no use for targeting the dopaminergic system specifically in consummatory anheodnia.

E: What I meant was that ones memories are not altered by things like dopamine so if you've got a certain attitude, then even though your brain chemistry changes all your past experiences continue to influence you and your attitude remains the same. But for sure meds influence levels of anxiety etc.

Edited by Vieno, 07 December 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#143 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'd try CILTEP but the reports on long term sustainability are rather mixed and I am bit worried by the potential hepatotoxicity of the Forskolin extracts...

Long term sustainability and reduced risk of hepatotoxicity are both addressed by using a high potency forskolin extract (95-98% vs. 10-20%), and using as little as possible (5-10mg daily). About once a week, I take a Galantamine and a day off, just to be sure my nAChR's are in tiptop shape, and I've had no issues.

Also, I had blood work done after being on Forskolin for 3 months (20% extract even), and I did not have any issues with my liver.

But I do recommend the uridine stack. I actually have started stacking it on top of CILTEP with good results, though I usually skip the CDP-Choline part.

Edited by zrbarnes, 07 December 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#144 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I am having a somewhat hard time figuring out whether I have what would properly be considered consummatory anhedonia. Some things give me a feeling akin to pleasure but I do not think I ever enjoy things as strongly as other people seem to enjoy it. Even in the times where my sex drive was what could be considered normal, I kept asking myself after sex why I even bother... So I am really trying to fix both at the same time - motivation AND enjoying the outcome.

As for drugs affecting memories, agreement on that point. However if certain drugs change behavior, chances are you can use them to override and maybe eventually overwrite past memories that are limiting you right now.

#145 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

For those who have brought up sexual dysfunction as a part of anhedonia: I am still a virgin at 26. It has been a willful choice for me to wait until marriage; it's not for a lack of interest in sex (or for a lack of interested partners). But maybe it's been made easier by whatever causes the anhedonia symptoms? I know that my testosterone levels must be okay, because I still get morning erections. I actually had some issues with pornography at a younger age, because it was one of the few things that caused that surge of enjoyment that I rarely ever felt. It was quite intoxicating to the point that it became drug-like. It definitely worsened my anhedonia in other areas of my life, though.

I am getting married in two months, and will be interested to see how real sex affects my symptoms.

I do remember that for a few months after I broke things of with my ex of 5 years, when I had depression comorbid with my lifelong symptoms, that I stopped getting erections altogether, and I had no desire to even turn my head when a nice looking lady walked by.

Edited by zrbarnes, 07 December 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#146 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

5 year relationship but celibate (some would argue it's not a relationship if you don't have sex but let's not open that box :) )? Truly mindboggling to me (and I do not exactly have the highest sex drive ever).

However, interestingly, you cannot black mail through withdrawing sex, really. That makes just me ever more vicious in winning whatever argument is out there.

Edited by nupi, 07 December 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#147 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

5 year relationship but celibate (some would argue it's not a relationship if you don't have sex but let's not open that box :) )? Truly mindboggling to me (and I do not exactly have the highest sex drive ever).

However, interestingly, you cannot black mail through withdrawing sex, really. That makes just me ever more vicious in winning whatever argument is out there.

I am definitely in the minority, I know, but I actually have 3 friend couples who dated for a few years before getting married, and they waited until marriage. I've been dating my fiancee for three years now without sex. We are very much in love, and both are eager start a sexual relationship together once we are married.

Regarding the argument comment: I rarely get in heated arguments because of the way my mind works (one pro of my symptoms). My fiancee is very passionate, and irritable at times, but I am very good at diffusing that without taking it personal.

Edited by zrbarnes, 07 December 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#148 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Is this for religious reasons or why? (not that I think I could relate either way)

#149 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Is this for religious reasons or why? (not that I think I could relate either way)

I suppose you could say that it started out that way. Then, as I grew up, I watched my friends go through some pretty messed up psychological damage due to having sex and then breaking up, and watched them become numb to that after it happened a few times. I saw them go through STD and pregnancy scares. At that point, I had plenty enough reasons to stay celibate until marriage.

But like I said before, whatever causes the anhedonia-like symptoms probably made it easier to look at the whole "sex" thing from a logical perspective instead of what my hormones were saying.

Edited by zrbarnes, 07 December 2012 - 05:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#150 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I think I can dissociate myself pretty well from what my hormones are saying but still to me it does not make sense not to have sex in a relationship - although in my case it is much more for validation than because I enjoy it that much. That probably also explains that while around here prostitution is legal and pretty much socially accepted, I still have very little interest in it - the fact that one would actually have to go out and look for it of course does not help, either (I guess you have to be pretty fucked up if your fear of rejection will prevent you from paying someone to sleep with you [1]).

To each his own, I guess.

[1] Come to think of it, here is a topic to discuss with my shrink :P

Edited by nupi, 07 December 2012 - 05:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anhedonia, depression, attention, l-dopa, ssre, adaptogen, quetiapine, consummatory anhedonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users